One for the manga readers (Anime vs Manga Fights)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

One for the manga readers (Anime vs Manga Fights)

Post by Jodaku » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:22 am

Ok, so the anime screwed up the Goku Vs Freeza fight which was absolutely perfect in the manga. It was one of, if not THE best fights in the series (with Goku Vs Piccolo from the 23rd being the only true rival IMO).

However what fights do you feel the anime genuinely enhanced? What was only a decent fight in the manga that was turned into a classic by the anime? It doesn't have to be to that extent, but you get the idea.

Here's mines:

Piccolo Vs #17: It was a decent enough fight in the manga, but ultimately it was nothing special. However it is generally regarded as a classic, and I think it's safe to say it's in reference to the anime, and rightfully so. One of the best examples of a anime enhanced fight, even with the worst animation team on the job, it produced some of the best action in the series in that second episode of the fight.

Goku Vs Cell: I actully think this still a very good fight in the manga, not a classic, but one of the better fights in the post-Freeza saga era where generally the fights for the most part were missing something IMO. With Goku Vs Cell in the anime, while I loved them at first, the first two epsiodes of the fight don't really do much for me now, just typical Drag-On stuff, although it's nothing terrible. The last two episodes though, particularly the third, are amazing. I can't say enough about the episode where Goku uses the IT/Kamehameha combo. It was the first time the 'new type' animation team were used, and arguably it's still their best episode, the action was just so intense, and it captured the speed of the warriors like no other. Certainly their best action epiosde, with only their SSJ2 Goku Vs Kid Buu filler ep maybe being better, speaking of which...

Goku Vs Kid Buu: First I must say how dissapointed I was with the manga on this particular fight. The so-called battle for the universe lasted only ONE chapter, and it wasn't much of a fight, it played second fiddle to Vegeta's monologue. Maybe it's becasue I've come to expect so much from the manga. Sure I wasn't expecting Tenshinhan Vs Goku, Goku Vs Piccolo, Saiyans Vs Z Warriors or Goku Vs Freeza, but I was expecting more than we got. So the anime has a lot of room to play with and not screw up, but they go and have Goku have fight Kid Buu for a more or less a WHOLE EPISODE as SSJ2, what are Toei thinking?!... But wait a minute, I actually quite like it... No. I really like it, despite the fact I consider myself a manga purist. Again it's the 'new type' animation team, and they do another wonderful job with the action, and to be fair the anime in general did an excellent job of bringing Kaioshin's world to life. The following episodes of the fight were decent too and gave fleash to a fight that really needed it, although my biggest guilty pleasure DB-wise is SSJ2 Goku Vs Kid Buu. I just love it.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:32 pm

Garshums...I can name plenty of fights I thought the Anime messed up, but...this is harder.

Well, I think the Anime brought an excellent if not better level of intensity, action, and drama to the Raditz fight than the Manga, mainly because they dragged out the more "explosive" parts to an appropriate extent, whilst it was still very close to the Manga.

I also think a lot of the late Z-era fights were done a bit better in the Anime. Goku vs. Chibi Boo being named as one, another I liked better was Ultimate Gohan vs. Majin Boo (no absorptions).

That's really all the ones I can think of...

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:53 pm

Duo wrote:I also think a lot of the late Z-era fights were done a bit better in the Anime. Goku vs. Chibi Boo being named as one, another I liked better was Ultimate Gohan vs. Majin Boo (no absorptions).
Wait, "no absorptions"? Didn't he absorb Piccolo and Gotenks at that time?

Anyways, I haven't really seen much of the anime, but from what I have seen in both versions, I'd have to agree and say that the Goku/Kid Buu fight rocked much harder in the anime. The little changes like having Bee (the dog) stay with Mr. Satan instead of being transported worked pretty well to add some comic relief, and switching to the Kaio Realm worked out, too.

Unlike stuff like, I dunno, the Goku/Majin Vegeta fight in the anime added some pretty forgettable stuff, but Goku/Kid Buu just stuck with me for some reason. Like the rocks turning into candy and Kid Buu snatching some before coming back at Goku and the whole underground sequence... it's just so unforgettable. :D

Then again, looking at it from a technical view, I guess Toei wanted to go all out and give the last fight some good added stuff to the fights, since I'm sure that the manga has ended for some time/was known to end soon when this ep was being made.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Snail

Post by Snail » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:06 pm

Duo meant that he enjoyed the battle between Gohan and Boo, before Boo absorbed Piccolo and Gotenks. I believe.

The battle between Goku and Kid Buu being extended should be viewed as a great treat to all fans.

The battle between Vegeta and Unperfect Cell, as well as Perfect Cell was awesome in the anime, it wasn't necessarily way better than the manga version, but it was very well enhanced. I'd also like to note that Vegeta's first time executing the Final Flash against Cell was just so godamn well done, not to mention FUNimation kind of made that moment cinematic-ish.

These are just a few, I'll be back to post more I guess =P

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:17 pm

I noticed that the Anime SS2 Son Goku vs. Buu fight = the SS3 Son Goku vs. Buu Manga fight. They basically choreographed the SS3 fight from the manga and made it the SS2 fight and extended it. The stuff Goku did as SS3 vs Kid Buu in the anime was mostly new filler stuff.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:48 pm

Definately Goku and Vegeta versus Kid Buu.

Drunken Master
Regular

Post by Drunken Master » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:03 am

I hate the anime fights...so much filler, not to mention the horrible quality of the animation. Manga>Anime by far. I seriously can't watch anime fights, because I remember every detail from the manga. I tried watching Piccolo vs #17 the other day, and the repeating frames and boring filler fighting made me actually turn the DVD off. Oh God, and before that I watched Guldo vs Kuririn and Son Gohan...that was WAAAAY to drawn out in the anime.

Buu fights weren't good at all IMO, I didn't like that saga.
AKA [b]Pope Blitzkrieg XVI[/b], [b]Mr. Shades-Internet McCool[/b]

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:13 am

The only fight I thought worked out pretty well was Piccolo's fight against 17. Two or three pages of a chapter condensed into 20 minutes. Amazing.

And I thought Goku's little battle with Kid Buu as a SSJ2 was awesome too. In the manga, Goku just starts out and starts pounding Kid Buu in. In the anime, it just starts being small stuff, neither side being hurt or anything, and then at the end, BAM! SSJ3 =)

Gouki*
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki* » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:16 am

I've... always preferred the Gohan achieves Super Saiyajin 2 and destroys the Cell Juniors more in the anime than the manga. I know it's not a fight in the strictest sense, it's always just done more for me animated.
... Maybe later.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:33 am

Gouki* wrote:I've... always preferred the Gohan achieves Super Saiyajin 2 and destroys the Cell Juniors more in the anime than the manga. I know it's not a fight in the strictest sense, it's always just done more for me animated.
Definitely because you get more of it, with the extra 8th Cell Jr. and all. :?

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:09 am

^ You know what, obviously I wouldn't say the anime did SSJ2 Gohan Vs Cell Jrs better than the manga, but I'm still fond of the anime version, despite having a few things wrong with it.

Good call on Ultimate Gohan Vs Super Buu Duo, I totally forgot about that one, another case of the anime extending things out appropriately.

Goku Vs Majin Vegeta is a weird one. In the manga the first (and only proper) exchange between two Toriyama did a great job of coveying two SSJ2's going at it, it was super intense, quickly doing damage to each other, but the problem was that's all we see. As for the anime, I somewhat agree with DaemonCorps, a lot of it wans't memorable, however there were sporadic moments that were really great. Despite the whole first episode itself being totally screwed up (fighting as SSJ1's not SSJ2's), that whole part where Vegeta has Goku tied up to rock face with those ki rings and slaps him around like a bitch was just gangsta, as was Goku's immediate retaliation. And in the episode where Gohan fires the Kamehameha at Buu's shell, there's this sequence of pure action, it had some nice camera work and choreography and was just overall done wonderfully.

And while the anime messed up on Goku Vs Freeza, it's almost redeemed by this AMV I found of Goku Vs Freeza using Requiem For a Dream. It's probably the best AMV I've seen. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go8shemOqNc

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:54 pm

As mentioned above, I thought the Goku vs. Vegeta fight during the Buu saga was better in the anime than as depicted in the Manga. There's really a whole lot more to it and it's even more intense. The fact that it's Goku vs. Vegeta elevates it to better-than-average status alone and the anime just improved upon it.

In either the anime or manga, the Goku vs. Piccolo Jr fight is insane. It's certainly one of the more violent ones and it's very long and drawn out. I think that's the best fight hands down in DB/Z history.

The best movie fight IMO is Goku vs. Coola in DBZ movie 5. Coola's final form is one of the coolest looking transformations I've ever seen. Combine that with Ryusei Nakao's spectacular vocal performance (best VA in all of DB I think) and you've got one hell of a dramatic showdown.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:35 pm

Jodaku wrote:And while the anime messed up on Goku Vs Freeza, it's almost redeemed by this AMV I found of Goku Vs Freeza using Requiem For a Dream. It's probably the best AMV I've seen. Check it out:

HOLY FUCK! :shock:
­

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:46 pm

Not a fight, but I thought the Grand Elder of Namek's death in the anime was better than in the manga. In the anime it's heartfelt and really emotional.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:21 am

And while the anime messed up on Goku Vs Freeza, it's almost redeemed by this AMV I found of Goku Vs Freeza using Requiem For a Dream. It's probably the best AMV I've seen. Check it out:

Wow, that was almost as long and annoying as the fight. There's a good two minutes that didn't need to be in there.

On a side note, despite the suckage of the vid, it reminded me of how goddamn incredible DB is/was. I haven't watched a real knock-down drag-out battle from DB in years and that was really cool. Good times.

I can not-fucking-fathom they had such sweet ideas for battles way back then before many of its US fans were freaking born. What a sweet sweet series.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:49 pm

Not an entire battle, more like just one part of it: Vegeta executing the Final Flash against Perfect Cell.
Trunks & Goten forever

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:55 pm

Nice thread. I think the fight that ended up being better in the anime was Gohan vs. Cell, mainly speaking about the kamehameha duel. I think this was mentioned in the podcast, but basically what happened was the remaining warriors helped Gohan even though they knew it was hopeless. I was hoping the manga would do this too, but it didn't. Can you say good filler?I also liked the cell jr fights and the Majin Vegeta v. Goku fight. The best way to sum it up is to say Vegeta was taking care of business. Oh! How can I forget, the man himself facing No.17..! That fight was out of control in the manga, but it was the shit in the anime!
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:21 pm

Also, I really enjoyed the fight against Li Shen Long in GT. It's easily the best fight in all of the third series. For some reason the fact that it's in a city during the day makes it different than all the rest.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:27 pm

USSJ Trunks Vs.Perfect Cell....I liked how Trunks was not completely thrown to the side. I mean in the Manga, Trunks has the great & cool transformation & hardly does squat. The extended fight gives Trunks a better role in the Anime. Plus the animation was beautiful.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:09 am

I felt that the fight between Tenshinhan and Gokuh at the 23rd tournament was pretty well enhanced by the anime, just all those flips and posture movements. I was wowing it like....wow. Same goes for Gokuh vs. Piccolo jr, it was actually pretty innovative and not just repeated cels for once.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!