Theory: Why Toriyama stops using certain characters as fighters.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

KBABZ
I Live Here

Re: Theory: Why Toriyama stops using certain characters as fighters.

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:I see people complain all the time about how Toriyama drops characters/doesn't care about characters, but I never see anyone mention that Toriyama only phases out characters once their character arcs are over. I can't think of a single major character who's dropped before developing. He doesn't keep the focus on character who can't grow with the story anymore, it's as simple as that. Sure, you can make up a bunch of scenarios where characters stay relevant, but that inherently changes the story Toriyama was trying to write. I think it's a good thing he's so comfortable dropping characters, even if it means the original series ends with Saiyans in the spotlight. It doesn't bother me that Kuririn, Yamcha, and Tenshinhan all drop off, because they all had great character arcs.
I think L(a)unch didn't have an arc, but that's more because she was a gag character. About the only things she had in terms of development is Blue Launch became more independant, and Yellow Launch became more reasonable, while both got an attraction towards Tien.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Re: Theory: Why Toriyama stops using certain characters as fighters.

Post by Zeru14 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:33 am

Michsi wrote:Honest answer? I think they just haven't thought up of any good way to have the non-saiyans keep up with the saiyans. Piccolo had two fusions to help him in the Namek arc and Cell arc, but once that option was no longer available, his growth stopped. Saiyans can just keep getting transformations, so their growth is easy and profitable (new hair color, new figurine ) so as long as nothing as design defining like a new form gets invented for the humans and Piccolo, they'll just keep struggling to stay relevant.
Toriyama clearly didn't have any investment in progressing the other non-saiyan characters, even by using available power up methods like the ultra divine water, gravity training, hyperbolic time chamber, kaioken, potential unleashed and the fusion dance, despite all of them seeing the benefits. Toriyama could also do like Heroes and give other races the ability to access God Ki(Blue-Eyed Form), but if you're not a saiyan you just don't get anything.