How Much Does Your Mom/Sister/Grandma/Girlfriend Know About Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Re: How Much Does Your Mom/Sister/Grandma/Girlfriend Know About Dragon Ball?

Post by PacificOceanDub » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:15 am

My Mom doesn’t care about/know anything about the series.
My sister on the other hand, loved it growing up, probably because she was so influenced by her older brother. She would play with the action figures, play the video games, watch the anime with me, etc.
My fiancée doesn’t really care about it either, but she did get me a couple of the badass S.H. figuarts figures for my birthday last year because she knows how much I love DBZ!
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 pm

The women in my life are mostly indifferent to DB. My mom didn't know it existed until I got into it and will occasionally put up with me talking about it, but doesn't really know any characters besides Goku (if that). My grandma might know about DB because my cousins and I are fans, but I've never spoken to her about it. And my girlfriend? She's too busy not existing to care about DB...
VegettoEX wrote:This makes a really weird assumption that every person reading this — and furthermore that every single fan — is male. Dragon Ball is not some exclusive boys' club.
Despite my willingness to answer this post, I do agree with this. I don't think this was the OP's intent, but it is important to take into consideration that females enjoy Dragon Ball too, though Dragon Ball seems to mainly be a "guy" thing. Because of this, in many cases, I believe we guys often assume the other posters here are also male (myself included sometimes), but I'm happy to see women posting here and enjoying something I enjoy, and we should know that they are present and valuable to our community.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:42 pm

My husband has watched some with me. We started off with the original Dragonball and while he enjoyed it, he said it was “too weird” for him. I get the feeling he might like the more “Z” adventures more.

My sister when I first got into it wasn’t interested, thought it was odd but did comment at least on Future Trunks “He’s not bad looking..,”

Parents only knew I liked it and said so long as I enjoy it, that’s all that matters.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 am

My mom hates Dragon Ball and calls it a waste of time. My sister thinks it sucks and it is boring. My girlfriend doesn't exist because I'm single at this point of time when I write this post.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:06 am

floofychan333 wrote:And my girlfriend? She's too busy not existing
This has been a constant problem with all of my girlfriends as well.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:52 am

I'm myself a girl so I know a lot about Dragon Ball but not everything.

I don't have any sisters, my mother knows Goku and Broly (thanks to me lol), my grandma doesn't care about animes so I don't think she knows anything about DB, my girl cousins don't care about animes either, nor my girl friends.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:43 am

My mom can recognise the name "Dragon Ball" as she remembers it as the show my brothers and I watched when we were kids.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:51 am

My sister hates it just because I was/am too into it, so it annoyed her. My mom knows of it quite well, we've watched some episodes together and knows that I'm a fan. Wife used to be a fan, as was her sister when they were younger, they used to watch it sometime with their mother too :thumbup:

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:25 pm

My mother and father know about it and who Goku is... but they think anything animated is not worth their time regardless of whatever age it is aimed at.

My brother is a fan of it but only the Z portion... while I enjoy the series from Goku and Bulma's meeting all the way up to the end of the Freeza arc (and not much after it).

Outside of them, my uncle is a huge fan (but only of the Z portion) and a lot of my other relatives know of it but nothing else besides it being an animated action series.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 pm

Puaru wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:And my girlfriend? She's too busy not existing
This has been a constant problem with all of my girlfriends as well.
Why yes, they do tend to do that, don't they? :lol:
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:03 am

My Mom knows it as my favorite show from childhood and she calls every anime I watch Dragon Ball Z now :lol:
My grandmother and my sister don't really know or care much for it which is a bummer. :cry:

And as for my girlfriend...well hehe :D let's just say her YouTube channel is very dedicated to Dragon Ball analysis and she's very good at it. I'm proud of her and everything she's done with her channel. :)

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:16 am

My sister introduce me to dragon ball back in the days ...
i introduced my wife to dragon ball around ft arc and she didn’t like it , but we started to watch one piece from scratch and she loves it .. we’ve watched 700 episodes and counting ..
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

TLM Reviews

Post by TLM Reviews » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:53 pm

My mom and my brother both know that I like Dragon Ball, as my brother did introduce me to the series, and my mom bought me a cake with Goku and Vegeta on it for my birthday.
I think my grandmother does know about it, as we used to watch it once and awhile, and while I was collecting the Dragon Boxes! :D

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:59 am

My current girlfriend is aware that I'm a fan but knows practically nothing about it herself. I don't talk about it as it something she's just not interested in full stop, so there's no point. She dislikes 'superhero' type stuff or just fantasy/sci-fi stuff in general.

My family also know I'm a fan but again it's nothing that they've ever paid any particular interest to. My younger brother very briefly watched a few episodes with me back when we were kids but he soon lost interest.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:38 pm

t0ffe3m4n wrote:My current girlfriend is aware that I'm a fan but knows practically nothing about it herself. I don't talk about it as it something she's just not interested in full stop, so there's no point. She dislikes 'superhero' type stuff or just fantasy/sci-fi stuff in general.

My family also know I'm a fan but again it's nothing that they've ever paid any particular interest to. My younger brother very briefly watched a few episodes with me back when we were kids but he soon lost interest.
Somewhere, Kunzait kneels in pain.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:07 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Weird question, yes, I know. But it's actually a relevant one, because moms and sisters and such are usually the best representation of a general audience. People who aren't swept up in geek culture like us. Therefore, I believe they are the best test of how mainstream or niche something is.

I'm turning 20 in a few days, and my mom was teasing me asking if she should hire Spider-Man or Batman to come like when I was small. I rolled my eyes at her until she said this: "Or what about that... Kugo guy? What's his name?" For a split second, I was confused. But then it hit me. And I was like... wow.

This isn't the first time either. Whenever my hair is messy, my sister will tease me by saying I look like Goku. So she definitely knows him by name, and I'm pretty sure my mom could get his name right if she really thought about it for a minute.

So they can both recognize Dragon Ball, and they at least know Goku by name, although probably not any other characters. Is that enough to qualify as "mainstream?" If your mom knows Goku's name, does that mean Dragon Ball is no longer strictly geek culture, and it's more in line with what can be culturally accepted as cool, like superheroes and Star Wars and Harry Potter?
Well... My mother can probably recognize that it's Dragon Ball by looking at the art style of DBZ. My late grandmother in France used to record episodes on TV for me... I don't have a girl friend now but my x would compare DBZ with Pokémon and I wasn't impressed, lol. And I watch Dragon Ball together with my daugther so she definetely recognizes it :)

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:08 pm

nickzambuto wrote:moms and sisters and such are usually the best representation of a general audience. People who aren't swept up in geek culture like us. Therefore, I believe they are the best test of how mainstream or niche something is.
Lol, boy what a overgeneralized and unsubstantiated statement if I've ever seen one.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:33 am

VegettoEX wrote:This makes a really weird assumption that every person reading this — and furthermore that every single fan — is male. Dragon Ball is not some exclusive boys' club.
This made me laugh more than it should have.

My mom knows what Dragon Ball is but only so far as she'd say 'Oh that show about banana hair men you watched when you were younger?'. Also my girlfriend must be aware of Dragon Ball as she has seen the manga on the shelf and walked in on me watching it a few times, but I know it isn't something she would be interested in so I never talk to her about it. Come to think of it she likely just thinks I watch it out of nostalgia (some episodes it feels like that is true).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:57 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Weird question, yes, I know. But it's actually a relevant one, because moms and sisters and such are usually the best representation of a general audience. People who aren't swept up in geek culture like us. Therefore, I believe they are the best test of how mainstream or niche something is.
Us being men? I'm sorry like some others I don't get the conclusion if women like it is mainstream if men like it it's some niche thing part of geek culture. Even if it gets a mostly large male audience doesn't mean it's not mainstream.

" If your mom knows Goku's name, does that mean Dragon Ball is no longer strictly geek culture, and it's more in line with what can be culturally accepted as cool, like superheroes and Star Wars and Harry Potter?
Dragon Ball Z IS Mainstream. The English dub with the Faulconer score specifically but its not some underground geek niche show.