Japanese Fandom & Filler/DBGT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Japanese Fandom & Filler/DBGT

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:53 am

I've been going through this forum for a while now and one of the most common thoughts that I see is that a lot of the people here really don't like fillers and GT. Which in turn got me thinking: How do the Japanese themselves feel about these? Do they share the emotions as everyone here?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Taku128

Re: The Japanese and Dragonball

Post by Taku128 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:10 am

Anonymous Friend wrote:I've been going through this forum for a while now and one of the most common thoughts that I see is that a lot of the people here really don't like fillers and GT. Which in turn got me thinking: How do the Japanese themselves feel about these? Do they share the emotions as everyone here?
I know they didn't like GT, as it got cancelled due to low ratings, but I'm not sure about filler. I know Toriyama liked GT and fillers as he got to see something new that he hadn't wrote.
­

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:25 am

Now, except for the parts when fillers blantantly screw up the continuity, did he like them enough to let them draw out things that he did not elaberate on in the manga?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:32 am

Well Toriyama did include Bardock and Marron in the manga.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:36 am

Anonymous Friend wrote:Now, except for the parts when fillers blantantly screw up the continuity, did he like them enough to let them draw out things that he did not elaberate on in the manga?
No offense, but how on Earth do you think anyone here would know that? What we do know is that Toriyama-sensei pretty much chose to stay out of the Anime because he was busy enough, so they made decisions on their own, and he just tossed in the occasional Movie Character design (and wrote the Manga, heh heh...).

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:25 am

"Filler" does not need to be further pluralized as "fillers". It's already a pluralized concept in and of itself.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:18 am

I heard no-one bought DBGT becuase it sas completely rubbish, but they were wrong since most of you bought Dragon Box DBGT DVD's regardless of how unpopuler they were.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:58 am

VegettoEX wrote:"Filler" does not need to be further pluralized as "fillers". It's already a pluralized concept in and of itself.
Wow talk about picky :p

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:59 am

Sun_Wukong wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:"Filler" does not need to be further pluralized as "fillers". It's already a pluralized concept in and of itself.
Wow talk about picky :p
In addition to people honest-to-god walking around and saying "nuh-ROO-do", it's one of those things that drives me up the fucking wall. Just figured I'd put that out there.

Didn't the Dragon Boxes sell increasingly better with each one, since they got cheaper and cheaper...?
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:26 am

Well, on Wikipedia.org it says the DBGT Dragonbox is very rare, limited, and hard to find. I'm not too sure on how it sold, though.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:06 pm

I thought the GT Dragon Box sold out on the first weekend.
Where's the beef?

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:33 pm

El_Diablo wrote:I thought the GT Dragon Box sold out on the first weekend.
Myself, I remember hearing something about the GT Dragon Box being so unexpectedly popular that Toei delayed the release date to make more and fill the demand.

Hmm. Actually, I think I saw that right here on DaizenshuuEX.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:39 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Myself, I remember hearing something about the GT Dragon Box being so unexpectedly popular that Toei delayed the release date to make more and fill the demand.

Hmm. Actually, I think I saw that right here on DaizenshuuEX.
Correct-o.

Back in May 2005, the following message appeared on the official Japanese website:

We are truly thankful for receiving the greatest amount of preorders out of the series. We give our gratitude to each and every one of you who reserved it. At present, the production operation is in full swing, but because the final tally of preorders was twice that of the 'Dragon Box' series up through last year, far exceeding our prior assumptions, it became incredibly difficult for us to deliver the product to every valued customer who ordered, by the release date we originally gave of 25 May.

We are terribly sorry to make all of you keep waiting, but in order to deliver the product in a better condition, we are changing the release date to 15 June. We are really, terribly sorry, but please, do try to understand.

20 April 2005
Shueisha / Fuji TV / Toei Animation
Pony Canyon

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:59 pm

GT was actually brought back into syndication on Fuji TV(?) at the time of the Box Set's release too, I believe. Not sure how well it did though..

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:07 pm

Can't provide any figures (I'll look around if you ask) but the GT box sold roughly twice as many as the previous boxes (DB was around 29,000, Z boxes 1 and 2 were about 31,000 with about 500 or so units difference, GT was around 64).

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:24 pm

Blitzen wrote:Can't provide any figures (I'll look around if you ask) but the GT box sold roughly twice as many as the previous boxes (DB was around 29,000, Z boxes 1 and 2 were about 31,000 with about 500 or so units difference, GT was around 64).
Well, it was very much cheaper than the previous boxes, going at the $500 mark in comparison to the DB and DBZ boxes' $1,000-$1,500. Possibly due to how cheap it was, I know that's a reason so many North American citizens on this board got the Movie box (which was cheaper). But anyway, as anyone should know, I don't hate GT or dislike it, but I don't love it as much as the previous series (though the ending I do love as much). I'm also one of probably a few that views GT in the over-all anime continuity, but this isn't the thread for that type of discussion. :!:
14 years later

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:08 pm

Could it be more people bought it because they missed its first run? Like the old saying "If I haven't seen it, its new to me."

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:17 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:Could it be more people bought it because they missed its first run? Like the old saying "If I haven't seen it, its new to me."
I don't know how many people in that boat would pre-order the Dragon Box, though.

MysticGogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MysticGogeta » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:10 pm

They could have just bought it either for collection and probably becuase that series would become rare.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:16 pm

I don't know how many people in that boat would pre-order the Dragon Box, though.
They could have been burnt out Dragonball when GT aired. So now they want to see what they missed. OI know I've had that experience with various things.