Do you think Broly represents what dragon ball is

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Do you think Broly represents what dragon ball is

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 am

It doesn't represent what DB is.
It represents what DBZ is and what DBZ fans think entire DB is about.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:06 am

Hmm... :think:

I'd have to agree with sunsetshimmer, he doesn't represent Dragon Ball, but he does represent DBZ.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 am

Totamo wrote:You know what I mean. This has been said before on countless videos.
Is that a serious question? Of course he doesn't!

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Totamo wrote:You know what I mean. This has been said before on countless videos.
To me, Broly represents what happens if you go mad from bodybuilding.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Hell no. There is far more to what Dragon Ball is than what we see Broly display.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:50 pm

He has everything the casual fan thinks DeeBeeZee is about, MINDLESS AKSHON, screaming, super muscles, and endless energy blasts and explosions. Other than Goku I think Beerus is the best representation for Dragon Ball. He has some great gags, proves again size doesn't matter, and is also a complete badass.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:00 pm

ABED wrote:I dunno. Not to come off as condescending, but I think a good amount of people aren't good at introspection. I think they do like DB for reasons they don't fully understand and thus can't articulate, so the surface level stuff, like power levels and such, is the best answers they have.
Maybe... but I've run across many fans who have decided that they love Dragon Ball Z but have no interest in classic Dragon Ball because:

1. Goku is a child.
2. There is less about power levels and Goku doesn't actually gain a lot of power since he has only around 300 at the beginning of the Saiyan arc.
3. Not as much over-the-top flying and ki blast action.

These are people that absolutely adore the second portion of the series and constantly argue over power level debates. (and I think Broly is a good representation of this side of the fanbase).
Last edited by GamerSkull on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:03 pm

True, but no matter how much they insist it is so, Dragon Ball's is simply not about that at all.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:41 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
ABED wrote:I dunno. Not to come off as condescending, but I think a good amount of people aren't good at introspection. I think they do like DB for reasons they don't fully understand and thus can't articulate, so the surface level stuff, like power levels and such, is the best answers they have.
Maybe... but I've run across many fans who have decided that they love Dragon Ball Z but have no interest in classic Dragon Ball because:

1. Goku is a child.
2. There is less about power levels and Goku doesn't actually gain a lot of power since he has only around 300 at the beginning of the Saiyan arc.
3. Not as much over-the-top flying and ki blast action.

These are people that absolutely adore the second portion of the series and constantly argue over power level debates. (and I think Broly is a good representation of this side of the fanbase).
I think they under the impression that it's a prequel and because they aren't as strong, the fights aren't as good.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:18 pm

ABED wrote:I think they under the impression that it's a prequel and because they aren't as strong, the fights aren't as good.
Most likely. I always felt that the fights in "original" Dragon Ball were better because it was more enjoyable to see some modicum of strategy employed.

That being said, I like the fights in the Saiyan and Freeza arcs... but afterwards, there doesn't seem as much strategy involved in the fights.

That's the problem though, Broly (both the character and the movie) is almost the embodiment of power over strategy... he was even defeated through Goku gaining more power instead of being strategically taken down.

But that is how most DBZ films are, I guess.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:57 pm

GamerSkull wrote:Broly (both the character and the movie) is almost the embodiment of power over strategy... he was even defeated through Goku gaining more power instead of being strategically taken down.
I mean, Goku strategically gained that power, sorta. Also, didn't he hit the spot where Broly was stabbed as a baby or something, or am I misremembering?

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Zephyr wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:Broly (both the character and the movie) is almost the embodiment of power over strategy... he was even defeated through Goku gaining more power instead of being strategically taken down.
I mean, Goku strategically gained that power, sorta. Also, didn't he hit the spot where Broly was stabbed as a baby or something, or am I misremembering?
I wouldn't necessarily call that strategy, at least in comparison to how villains were taken down prior to the end of the Freeza arc.

Also, I don't think that was even an implication of why Goku punched him in that area. Goku didn't know where Broly was stabbed... and there were no visible scars to show where it happened.

Or maybe I'm not remembering correctly either... it's been a couple of years since I last saw the movie. :lol:

I did watch the sequel recently though... and even in that movie, he really isn't taken down with strategy. It was just a beam struggle.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:07 pm

GamerSkull wrote:I wouldn't necessarily call that strategy, at least in comparison to how villains were taken down prior to the end of the Freeza arc.
It's more strategic of a powerup than simply powering up, the way Goku does against Freeza and Gohan does against Cell. But you're right that it doesn't hold a candle to the ways they take down Vegeta and Buu.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Zephyr wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:I wouldn't necessarily call that strategy, at least in comparison to how villains were taken down prior to the end of the Freeza arc.
It's more strategic of a powerup than simply powering up, the way Goku does against Freeza and Gohan does against Cell. But you're right that it doesn't hold a candle to the ways they take down Vegeta and Buu.
I suppose.

I just don't really see Goku getting power from his friends sticking their arms out and begging Vegeta for some power... as all that strategic.

But I might be a little unfair when I say NO strategy is involved.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:22 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily call that strategy, at least in comparison to how villains were taken down prior to the end of the Freeza arc.

Also, I don't think that was even an implication of why Goku punched him in that area. Goku didn't know where Broly was stabbed... and there were no visible scars to show where it happened.

Or maybe I'm not remembering correctly either... it's been a couple of years since I last saw the movie. :lol:

I did watch the sequel recently though... and even in that movie, he really isn't taken down with strategy. It was just a beam struggle.
As a huge fan of Broly, let me tell you that Goku punched him in his abds, baby Broly got stabbed in his heart area + Goku didn't even know if Broly got stabbed when he was a baby so that theory is pure bs. Goku just won... 'cause he had to win, simple. No strategy at all, he just needed more power to defeat Broly.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:31 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:
Zephyr wrote: I mean, Goku strategically gained that power, sorta. Also, didn't he hit the spot where Broly was stabbed as a baby or something, or am I misremembering?

As a huge fan of Broly, let me tell you that Goku punched him in his abds, baby Broly got stabbed in his heart area + Goku didn't even know if Broly got stabbed when he was a baby so that theory is pure bs. Goku just won... 'cause he had to win, simple. No strategy at all, he just needed more power to defeat Broly.
Ah, that clears it up for me. It's been too long since I saw it. Might have to watch it again.

Anyway, I think Broly is fine character to the mythos but I just wish his defeat wasn't as much of a letdown and that he stayed super-powerful but could only be defeated by strategic means. That would have made for a great story instead of Goku now having all the combined powers of his friends in a single body and seemed to have the power to quickly put an end to him.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:33 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:

Ah, that clears it up for me. It's been too long since I saw it. Might have to watch it again.

Anyway, I think Broly is fine character to the mythos but I just wish his defeat wasn't as much of a letdown and that he stayed super-powerful but could only be defeated by strategic means. That would have made for a great story instead of Goku now having all the combined powers of his friends in a single body and seemed to have the power to quickly put an end to him.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ao-koyama/
Here's what the creator of the 13 DBZ movies says: "Goku must win against such an enemy, so he has no choice but to defeat him when his enemy becomes overconfident and creates an opening. There’s absolutely no way he’d be able to win against someone like Broli if he used more orthodox methods." thats it, when there's an opening Goku wins.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:54 pm

BrolyKale wrote: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ao-koyama/
Here's what the creator of the 13 DBZ movies says: "Goku must win against such an enemy, so he has no choice but to defeat him when his enemy becomes overconfident and creates an opening. There’s absolutely no way he’d be able to win against someone like Broli if he used more orthodox methods." thats it, when there's an opening Goku wins.
I think that's just trying to take the easy way out instead of putting in the effort to really make things interesting.

But it is what it is... I just feel like power shouldn't be as big as it got and that the series should have kept a balance between power and strategy. Power seems to be the thing with more emphasis later on.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:39 pm

GamerSkull wrote: I wouldn't necessarily call that strategy, at least in comparison to how villains were taken down prior to the end of the Freeza arc.
Just because it's not an elaborate jigsaw puzzle doesn't make it less of a strategy.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
GamerSkull wrote: I wouldn't necessarily call that strategy, at least in comparison to how villains were taken down prior to the end of the Freeza arc.
Just because it's not an elaborate jigsaw puzzle doesn't make it less of a strategy.
Fair enough... but that's why I said "at least in comparison to".
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"