Dragon Ball Home Releases: Funimation vs Madman

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deli295

Re: Dragon Ball Home Releases: Funimation vs Madman

Post by Deli295 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:49 pm

From the DVD covers I've seen, all the DVDs from the World Tournament Saga onwards have bilingual releases. Everything prior to it (The Saiyan Conflict-Great Saiyaman) is English dubbed only.

Deli295

Post by Deli295 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:47 pm

I've noticed that the Funimation Fullscreen releases of the movies have two English tracks: one in 5.1 and the other in stereo, can anybody explain why did they do that?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 pm

Deli295 wrote:I've noticed that the Funimation Fullscreen releases of the movies have two English tracks: one in 5.1 and the other in stereo, can anybody explain why did they do that?
That's likely due to the different scores. The 5.1 release will have the original Japanese score with Funimation's dub dialogue, and has Voices and SFX on the center channel, while the corner channels have SFX, echoes and the music. The 2.1 audio will be their original broadcast dub/score combo. The GT Green Bricks had a similar setup: 5.1 Dub w. Japanese music, 2.0 Dub w. Menza music, and 1.0 Japanese dub & music,

Deli295

Post by Deli295 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:34 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Deli295 wrote:I've noticed that the Funimation Fullscreen releases of the movies have two English tracks: one in 5.1 and the other in stereo, can anybody explain why did they do that?
That's likely due to the different scores. The 5.1 release will have the original Japanese score with Funimation's dub dialogue, and has Voices and SFX on the center channel, while the corner channels have SFX, echoes and the music. The 2.1 audio will be their original broadcast dub/score combo. The GT Green Bricks had a similar setup: 5.1 Dub w. Japanese music, 2.0 Dub w. Menza music, and 1.0 Japanese dub & music,
Not really, the three tracks you mentioned first appeared on the Orange Bricks and beyond, but I'm talking about the previous DVDs, they have two tracks, a Surround and a Stereo one, both in English, both with the same score, the only thing I noticed is that the English Stereo is louder.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:36 pm

Deli295 wrote:Not really, the three tracks you mentioned first appeared on the Orange Bricks and beyond, but I'm talking about the previous DVDs, they have two tracks, a Surround and a Stereo one, both in English, both with the same score, the only thing I noticed is that the English Stereo is louder.
Hmm, well, if I were to hazard a guess, it might have been when they were still figuring out this surround sound thing with the mixing, and provided both just in case people didn't like their 5.1 hodge-podge of old audio. Or, they're just providing options, like how we used to get Fullscreen and Widescreen editions of movies on DVD.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:38 pm

I don't think the full-screen (pre-bricks) discs had the 'dub with JP score option', and this wasn't exclusive to Funi or Dragon Ball. As I understand it, stereo options are usually included because, through a stereo system, they sound better than the 5.1 track does. Having a sound mixer go through and deliberately re-mix the sounds in stereo (or at least double-checking that everything in the end result sounds as it should) will result in a better mix than the algorithms in the DVD player can achieve automatically. Sony's Spider-Man 3 DVD even had instructions helping the viewer work out which format they should use. Most studios (Funi included) appear to have given up on this a long time ago, and realistically I doubt that many realized why stereo was an option in the first place.

Deli295

Post by Deli295 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:46 am

Well it sounds great for editing the disc and replace the stereo track with the Ocean dub for the first three movies.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:45 am

Deli295 wrote:From the DVD covers I've seen, all the DVDs from the World Tournament Saga onwards have bilingual releases. Everything prior to it (The Saiyan Conflict-Great Saiyaman) is English dubbed only.
Yep, just checked the discs and the Jap audio is included from the first World Tournament DVD, so Madman only got 26 DVDs with both languages, as opposed to the 69 Funimation/US got.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:33 am

They're the same, basically; just two different mixes of the same thing.
I think perhaps there were technical issues with 5.1 audio mixing down to stereo systems, and the other way around, so they did two mixes to ensure compatibility. They did the same thing on the Ultimate Uncut DVDs too.
Deli295 wrote:Well it sounds great for editing the disc and replace the stereo track with the Ocean dub for the first three movies.
Yes, definitely. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.