Does anyone actually like Cell's middle form? Does it deserve the hate?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Does anyone actually like Cell's middle form? Does it deserve the hate?

Post by precita » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 pm

I often see a lot of people say how much they like Imperfect Cell, and then of course Perfect Cell is popular in his final form, but you very rarely see anyone say they like the middle stage.

It's kinda ugly looking, and it really only exists for a short time where Vegeta pummels the hell out of him until he lets him absorb 18. Why is this middle form so ugly too? Cell was also at his most whiny in his middle stage throwing a tantrum because he thought he would never become Perfect.

Do you think it deserves the hate?

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Does anyone actually like Cell's middle form? Does it deserve the hate?

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:15 pm

I actually kind of like it well enough. It at least looks unique in much of a brute he looks compared to the other main antagonists. Perfect Cell just feels like the Saiyans all over again.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 pm

I think Semi-Perfect Cell's design is ugly... but in a positive way. While probably not by intent, Semi-Perfect Cell feels like an awkward middle-ground between bug and human because, well, he's Semi-Perfect. It hits the uncanny valley intentionally, which IMO is a positive design element despite it being ugly.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:03 am

Its....BUFF

Imperfect was twig or arthropod. Perfect Cell was John Cena

Middle one/Semi Perfect Cell's physical proportion was cool. Its just...darn you Toriyama!!!

Jst fkin give a nose man!!!

As much as I hate sayin this, the Jet-Black Flap called nose on Semi's face gave an altogether "Toad" impression

And the constant yelling, grunts coming outta his wide-gaped mouth when humiliated by Super Vegeta further accentuated the Toad-vibe

I get that Imperfect had like Snail-shell nose. So absorbing human-modified cyborg would grant some physical alterations hence the "toad nose" followed by an all-perfect nose after absorbin a beau like 18. Still....

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:39 am

Didn't Toriyama actually like "semi-perfect" Cell, but one of his editors hated it and wanted him to hurry up and get to Perfect form? I know the Androids/Cell saga had a looong chain of those "I don't like this villain, get a new one" editor comments, starting out with not wanting #19 and #20 to be the Androids.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Its my least favourite form because i don't like the design.

and his personality was the worst compared to his imperfect and perfect form.
My English is poor .

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Pantalones wrote:Didn't Toriyama actually like "semi-perfect" Cell, but one of his editors hated it and wanted him to hurry up and get to Perfect form? I know the Androids/Cell saga had a looong chain of those "I don't like this villain, get a new one" editor comments, starting out with not wanting #19 and #20 to be the Androids.
Yeah, I'm fairly sure that's true.

I do always wonder if the Android/Cell arc wouldn't have been a mess if Toriyama was allowed to do what he wanted. Then again editors exist for a reason so it may have been worse.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:Its my least favourite form because i don't like the design.

and his personality was the worst compared to his imperfect and perfect form.
I thought his personality was pretty similar really. Cocky attitude, but desperate and panicky when things weren't going to plan.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:59 am

I quite liked the more brutish design of the form, it's not as good as his first or final forms but it's still nice in it's own way.

The only thing I've ever hated about the form was Dameon Clarke's dumb voice for it.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:00 pm

It's more human-like, while being big and imposing, like Frieza's middle forms. It works for what it is, an intermediate form. I like it just fine.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:08 pm

Imagine if instead of a quick, memorable, evenly-matched battle with Piccolo, Freeza's second form spent four or five entire episodes redundantly getting punched all over the place by a Piccolo who looks even more bored than the audience.

Right now, Freeza's second form isn't thought of with any fondness, just neutrality. Being the subject of a boring stretch of episodes would logically lead to people's minds teetering more towards the "bad" end of the meter. Cell has it worse though because his design is even worse than Freeza's.
KBABZ wrote:I think Semi-Perfect Cell's design is ugly... but in a positive way. While probably not by intent, Semi-Perfect Cell feels like an awkward middle-ground between bug and human because, well, he's Semi-Perfect. It hits the uncanny valley intentionally, which IMO is a positive design element despite it being ugly.
This however, is a fantastic interpretation, and something I easily picture Toriyama going for.
Pantalones wrote:Didn't Toriyama actually like "semi-perfect" Cell, but one of his editors hated it and wanted him to hurry up and get to Perfect form? I know the Androids/Cell saga had a looong chain of those "I don't like this villain, get a new one" editor comments, starting out with not wanting #19 and #20 to be the Androids.
I imagine Toriyama's reason for liking Semi-Perfect Cell over the others is simply because his face is the funniest.

Damned
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Damned » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:03 pm

The face reminds me of Big Head from Rocko's Modern Life.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:51 pm

I liked it. The only one I'm not too fond of is his original roach looking form where he's all brown.

El Conejo Malo

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:30 pm

Bardo117 wrote:I liked it. The only one I'm not too fond of is his original roach looking form where he's all brown.
To be fair that's just his shed shell; we've no idea what the actual colouration or skin qualities were like before he moved on to his humanoid Imperfect form.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:16 am

Semi-Perfect Cell was ugly good. Sleazy and manipulative, with a mouth full of expression, moving his lips up or down on their tips. The color scheme was also great, but design-wise, he's kept to a functional minimum, because his tail is there to absorb the android, while his belly stretches to explode and to create round lines. It's very auter, along with 19 and Dr. Gero, but the editors had a hand.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:31 am

I think it's ugly, but I don't think it's unfitting. He's like a teen going through growing pains with all the zits and stuff. He looks kinda awkward but he's getting there. I've just been rewatching the Imperfect Cell episodes actually and I love his design a lot. Rivals Perfect Cell imo.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:35 pm

I find this form very ugly,It not scary looking like Imperfect Cell or Cool looking like Perfect Cell and the lip thing is weird.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:39 pm

The only thing I like of this form is the concept. He's like the transition of a wimpy guy to a muscular dude.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:39 am

I prefer his first form the most myself... looked more menacing and weird at the same time (to me).

He looks more and more like he's getting human features and while that might have been the intent... he just looks awesome in his first form to me.

When he shows up in front of Piccolo and absorbs that human... well, that was his coolest moment for me.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"