What will Funimation do with DB after Super ends?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

What will Funimation do with DB after Super ends?

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:53 am

This may be a pointless question, but it's inevitable that Funimation will eventually finish dubbing Super (by my estimate in Fall 2019 on Toonami with the last home release in December 2019/early 2020). So, what will they do after this? I know this is a roll-your-eyes sort of topic because we obviously don't know what they'll do, but there is the new movie - which will most likely come out dubbed from Funimation in 2019.

Still, what's next for them? I mean, it seems inevitable that they might end up re-releasing Dragon Ball Z, maybe? Then, there's Super season sets I expect them to come out with. Besides that though, there's really nothing. Or is there? I know I've brought this up quite a few times since I've been on Kanzenshuu, so much so that it's pointless, but: All I'm going to say is that, I would like the more recent specials to receive a dub. It's never going to happen though (feels so good admitting that).

Long story short: What do you think is next for Funimation and Dragon Ball AFTER they've done their Super PARTS and SEASONS releases? A DBZ 4:3 re-release on Blu-ray? More Dragon Boxes (DB, Movies, GT)? Honestly, Funimation's never touching DB and GT again though, so we can throw that out the window (despite their pointless little survey a few years ago). I didn't even take into account a possible new series for them to dub, but ignoring this: What's next? I suppose they can just let DB rest for a few years too....

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Re: What will Funimation do after Super ends?

Post by Ozotto » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:55 am

Dragon Ball GT on Blu Ray
Rock The Dragon Collection on Blu Ray
Dragon Boxes on Blu Ray

Maybe they'll dub some of the specials such as Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return!!, and Episode of Bardock, Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans.
Last edited by Ozotto on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: What will Funimation do with DB after Super ends?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:57 am

They'll be able to ride on the upcoming theatrical film for pretty amazing success and revenue if Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' tell us anything. FUrthermore, if and when there's a new Dragon Ball television production following that time, you can rest assured they'll do everything in their power to get in on it. If and when this happens, hopefully Toei will have recognized how important it is to get things like a simulcast going from the start, and perhaps even allowing the international distribution (and dubbing) to commence a little sooner.

Barring that, sure, re-releases out the wazoo. They'll be fine as a company, but of course everything's a little cushier when there's actively new Dragon Ball television material to release.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:25 pm

mecha3000 wrote:This may be a pointless question, but it's inevitable that Funimation will eventually finish dubbing Super (by my estimate in Fall 2019 on Toonami with the last home release in December 2019/early 2020). So, what will they do after this? I know this is a roll-your-eyes sort of topic because we obviously don't know what they'll do, but there is the new movie - which will most likely come out dubbed from Funimation in 2019.

Still, what's next for them? I mean, it seems inevitable that they might end up re-releasing Dragon Ball Z, maybe? Then, there's Super season sets I expect them to come out with. Besides that though, there's really nothing. Or is there? I know I've brought this up quite a few times since I've been on Kanzenshuu, so much so that it's pointless, but: All I'm going to say is that, I would like the more recent specials to receive a dub. It's never going to happen though (feels so good admitting that).

Long story short: What do you think is next for Funimation and Dragon Ball AFTER they've done their Super PARTS and SEASONS releases? A DBZ 4:3 re-release on Blu-ray? More Dragon Boxes (DB, Movies, GT)? Honestly, Funimation's never touching DB and GT again though, so we can throw that out the window (despite their pointless little survey a few years ago). I didn't even take into account a possible new series for them to dub, but ignoring this: What's next? I suppose they can just let DB rest for a few years too....
By then there will be new Dragon Ball from Toei.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 pm

Funimation is a-okay for the foreseeable future. They're about a year and a half behind on Super, so just dubbing that will take them into mid-2019 (and they can take little breaks here and there to stretch it out if they want). They'll have the movie to dub and release after (or during) that as well. The next couple years will be great for them.

And I'd be very surprised if there isn't new weekly Dragon Ball show announced or in production by that point, whether it's a continuation of Super or something new, so hopefully they can get rolling on that without as much of a delay. If everything goes smoothly on that front, there might not even be a major interruption for Funi.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:22 pm

A new show or super will be back on the air way before they finish dubbing the current arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 pm

My math says the ToP Dub wille nd in November/December 2019.

Thats almost 2 years away and 1 year after the movie comes out. We will know that fate of Super way before that.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:49 am

All I can do is say what I think they should do: Dub and release all of the recent specials. Then, starting with OG DB, restore and release everything in the best possible HD quality on Blu-ray.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:35 pm

I really want Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc on Disney XD. They have zero excuse. There's no need to censor gay relationships in a post Steven Universe/The Loud House/Andi Mack world.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm assuming that this thread pertains solely to the Dragon Ball franchise, because I have this burning desire to point out that it's not like Dragon Ball is Funimation's only property and they have a ton of things to keep them afloat. Funimation would not be in trouble if they didn't have more Dragon Ball. They own properties such as Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Attack on Titan, and a giant catalog of anime. I would imagine that they wouldn't be hitting the panic button without new Dragon Ball content coming out. Besides having a nice, constant stream of revenue from their own streaming service and whatever sales they make on DVDs/Blu-rays, etc., they also have licensing agreements to put a sizeable chunk of their content on streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and a bunch of other streaming services. These are all money-generating deals.

So with that out of the way, what's next for Dragon Ball from Funimaton? They'll finish releasing the rest of Super that they have to catch up to, and then throw it onto their streaming service. They'll get the movie rights and make that. That should set them up well for the next couple of years.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:They'll be able to ride on the upcoming theatrical film for pretty amazing success and revenue if Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' tell us anything. FUrthermore, if and when there's a new Dragon Ball television production following that time, you can rest assured they'll do everything in their power to get in on it. If and when this happens, hopefully Toei will have recognized how important it is to get things like a simulcast going from the start, and perhaps even allowing the international distribution (and dubbing) to commence a little sooner.

Barring that, sure, re-releases out the wazoo. They'll be fine as a company, but of course everything's a little cushier when there's actively new Dragon Ball television material to release.
This goes for FUNimation's fiscals as well as our lives.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:24 pm

If a new Dragon Ball series happens on the heels of the movie they'll be in extra good spirits. The Adult Swim run is about a year and a half(?) behind, so if anything they'd be way more caught up.

But then for all I know this may be yet another 2 year long Kitaro series, not 1 year, so.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 pm

I REALLY doubt it. And even if Kitaro is 2 years long we will definitely see Weekly Dragon Ball Anime return one day.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:34 pm

It's too early to tell because we don't know what will happen after Super ends. We do have the new movie in December 2018 and that will probably be release during Spring 2019 in the US.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:08 am

Maybe Funimation can license DBS's replacement: GeGeGe no Kitaro. The original is great, and I can only assume that all these remakes of it have been good, otherwise they wouldn't keep making them. This will be its fifth remake. Tho, I'm not too interested in a Kitaro that isn't voiced by Masako Nozawa...but I might give it a try if it gets licensed. I say FUNi should give it a shot.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:13 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Maybe Funimation can license DBS's replacement: GeGeGe no Kitaro. The original is great, and I can only assume that all these remakes of it have been good, otherwise they wouldn't keep making them. This will be its fifth remake. Tho, I'm not too interested in a Kitaro that isn't voiced by Masako Nozawa...but I might give it a try if it gets licensed. I say FUNi should give it a shot.
The managed to license and simuldub the first season of Monster Hunter Stories Ride On so anything is possible!

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Make another shitty Dragon Ball Z "remastered" Blu-ray release. :P

I hope not but that's what they typically do.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Release OG Dragon Ball on Blue Ray, possibly remaster it as well. Dub Yo! Son Goku and Friends Special (still wondering if this is even canon at this point though).

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:Release OG Dragon Ball on Blue Ray, possibly remaster it as well. Dub Yo! Son Goku and Friends Special (still wondering if this is even canon at this point though).
We know how Funimation "remasters" Dragon Ball content so it's better to leave that for Toei to release DB upscaled on Blu-ray (series are normally just upscaled whereas movies are remastered).
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Well, what I'd like to see is a Rock The Dragon: Volume 2 containing the post-Namek Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Z. Blue Water's DB and GT dubs would be nice too.

But, pipe dreams aside(Though I will never stop pushing for a post-Namek Ocean dub + Blue Water DB & GT release), I imagine they'll just continue on with Super. The movie dub will probably come out not long after it's out in Japan. With Super ongoing, I don't think they'll really need anything more to keep them going on the Dragon Ball front.
Maybe they'll do a reprinted Dragon Box set or something if they really need the money, but I doubt it.
Jackalope89 wrote:Release OG Dragon Ball on Blue Ray, possibly remaster it as well.
If they didn't remaster it, all Funimation would have is their standard-def DigiBeta footage of the show, or possibly Toei's standard-def Dragon Box footage. Only way that could end up on BD really is if it was an upscale, which would be awful.
If they do remaster it, either we'd get something like the Levels, which would be awesome but likely won't happen, or we'd get something like the DBZ "Seasons", which would be terrible, and if Funi did DB on Blu-Ray, that is likely how it would happen.
On the plus side, maybe they'd take that opportunity to fix up their OG DB dub too. Unlikely, but who knows.
Jackalope89 wrote:Dub Yo! Son Goku and Friends Special (still wondering if this is even canon at this point though).
It would probably cost them too much for it to be worth doing.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.