Was God Ki Really Necessary?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SoulSurj
Not-So-Newbie

Was God Ki Really Necessary?

Post by SoulSurj » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Is it just me, or was god ki completely pointless in the entirety of DB Super? It honestly hasn't done much of anything at all in the entire series. It seems like it was just thrown in for absolutely no reason, other than to make ssjg and ssjb stand out. I haven't seen much mention of it ever since the BoG arc and Super is over 120 episodes now. Has anyone else felt this way about the concept?

Bullza
Banned

Re: Was God Ki Really Necessary?

Post by Bullza » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:33 pm

Meh, it made it a bit different and something to discuss I suppose, it was no harm. Was it necessary? Maybe at the time but the whole idea of them being at a level required to be able to sense it seems to be all over the place.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Super Saiyan God and Blue have almost no reason to exist. We could have gone without anything new till Ultra Instinct.

Android 21

Post by Android 21 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:32 pm

Yes, it’s pointless. If they hadn’t completely messed it up, then it wouldn’t have been. But since they did, it is. As it currently stands with how the series has progressed, there’s no reason for god ki to exist as a concept. The show would actually be better off without it in terms of writing.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:44 pm

At first it was interesting and cool direction for the characters but now it doesn't matter. Characters like Freeza and Android 17 have god teir power levels with out having trained with a god just make more meaning less.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:05 pm

When it was first introduced it made perfect sense. It was a huge deal, something that put a warrior on such a different level to non-god ki users they were untouchable. That gulf was like nothing we'd ever seen in the history of Dragon Ball. If you were to insist on talking numbers, SSG and SSB were introduced not as "twice as strong as the previous transformation" or anything so mundane, they weren't "multipliers", they were beyond exponential.

Of course, they were quickly nerfed, became just "the next level of Super Saiyan" and god ki stopped being mentioned. I'm not someone who cares about numbering "power levels" and things in the slightest, but Super has had no internal logic whatsoever when it comes to how powerful these abilities and characters are supposed to be.

The story would have made so much more sense if SSG had been a one time thing and SSB had never existed. Or if SSB had been introduced as a form which combined god ki with Super Saiyan, but was actually still much less powerful than the full SSG form. Heck, then in place of Ultra Instinct we could have had Goku finally realising the original SSG form by himself.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:17 pm

I don’t think god ki has any use. It was a shortcut to super strength but we’ve seen multiple fighters match or even surpass it with regular ki, which is supposedly less taxing on the user’s stamina (though you wouldn’t know it by how many episodes they hold Super Saiyan Blue, but I digress) and is much easier to master than god ki.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 am

Is anything really necessary? The new ki was just a new form of a power up that they used in order to push Goku and Vegeta to the next level. It was that or give them a new Super Saiyan form again, because in their base forms they had sort of reached their natural limits. I like the fact that this new type of ki empowered the good ol' Super Saiyan form instead of just doing a Super Saiyan 4.

But if you mean like tactically it did nothing I agree. Since the average fighter can't sense that type of ki, they could've hidden in plain sight at full power and not have been detected, things like that. But as it stands I see no issue with it. Goku and Vegeta were going to reach the "next level" somehow and this is the avenue they decided to use to get them there. The end result is the same. Honestly, from Z forward Dragon Ball has done a very poor job of showing power differences. All the fights look pretty much the same. We only know they've increased in power because their allies are in the background saying "Wowwwww they're so much faster and more powerful now." UI Goku is one of the first times in a while that we've actually seen a difference when someone reaches a new level. Of course that has nothing to do with the topic so, meh. :crazy:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:41 am

It would have been better if they established the rules for it more clearly.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:03 am

The concept of God Ki could have been so much more than it was. Ultimately, it just became another addition to the long list of plot devices in Dragon Ball that were created so that certain characters could be much stronger than others.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:16 am

Forte224 wrote:Is anything really necessary? The new ki was just a new form of a power up that they used in order to push Goku and Vegeta to the next level. It was that or give them a new Super Saiyan form again, because in their base forms they had sort of reached their natural limits. I like the fact that this new type of ki empowered the good ol' Super Saiyan form instead of just doing a Super Saiyan 4.

But if you mean like tactically it did nothing I agree. Since the average fighter can't sense that type of ki, they could've hidden in plain sight at full power and not have been detected, things like that. But as it stands I see no issue with it. Goku and Vegeta were going to reach the "next level" somehow and this is the avenue they decided to use to get them there. The end result is the same. Honestly, from Z forward Dragon Ball has done a very poor job of showing power differences. All the fights look pretty much the same. We only know they've increased in power because their allies are in the background saying "Wowwwww they're so much faster and more powerful now." UI Goku is one of the first times in a while that we've actually seen a difference when someone reaches a new level. Of course that has nothing to do with the topic so, meh. :crazy:
Well Goku vs Jiren R1 did exactly that. Base couldn't touch Jiren. SS could touch Jiren but nothing else, SS2 managed to move his head, SSG managed to make Jiren use a finger and SSGSS managed to make Jiren move and fight properly. We haven't had anything black and white like that before, even against Buu Goku just transformed didn't fight in the forms just showed them off.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:36 am

Well yeah because it created a new tier for the characters. If SSJG and SSJB didn't exist you basically have to make Beerus so much weaker that he really has no point of existing and Golden Freeza would have to be like SSJ3 or Vegito tier.

Like without the god concept you might as well just scrap Super.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:27 am

I think Super Saiyan God was a cool concept, and it allowed the Battle Of Gods story to be told in the way it was.

Blue seems totally unnecessary to me, though. And I'm not a fan of the design either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And yeah, the god ki stuff seems to have completely been forgotten after BoG... On one hand, I'm kinda glad, since it means Gohan, Piccolo, Kuririn, Tenshinhan, and Roshi can be relevant. On the other, it doesn't make any sense in-universe, really...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:44 pm

Every new element introduced in Super is pointless and doesn't get anyone anywhere
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:11 am

They should have used God ki as the excuse for being capable of regaining stamina so quickly and improving quickly in battle along with Vegeta now being capable of tanking his own self destruct. They had Godku regenersting from Beerus' stab after all.
Trow in some stuff about the ki control making it less volatile and you're good to go, hell they already used that as the explanation for Blue Kaioken, so it would have fit.

King13s

Post by King13s » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:56 pm

In the beginning it was wonderful and new, and it made the idea of SS4 vs SSG stupid. Because no matter how strong SS4 was Good Ki was a different realm of power.

Spirit Ki vs Living ki was an other worldly nuisance.

Golden Freeza ruined that. Turned this new idea into just same old power up.

The manga has been interesting as it shows that managing God Ki teaches better ki control in general, especially "Full Power Super Saiyan Blue" and Goku's use of Hakai. That was impressive.

The anime has made it nothing more than a means to a power up

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Were transformations necessary? Because they all get one upped by the next arc.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:52 pm

I really wish that Toriyama, Toyotaro, or Toei Animation did something to set godly ki apart from regular ki, aside from the fact that the divine stuff is undetectable by mortals. As it is, no, I don't think it was necessary in the slightest.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:35 pm

I really dug the concept when it was introduced but now it's become a complete non entity with numerous regular mortals on par with the gods of destruction and the difference between god ki and normal ki not involved at all in the actual fights. I hope the Ultra Instinct stays as a profound and effective technique. It's the only thing that makes fights in Dragonball feel/look different.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 am

They should have left Super Saiyan 1,2 and 3 and only give them one new transformation in Super like Ultra Instinct. I thought the transformation were a problem in classic DB but in Super it's much worser, so many unnecessary forms in 126 episodes