Funi's DB/DBGT video releases vs. DBZ's

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Funi's DB/DBGT video releases vs. DBZ's

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:49 am

I bought Funimation's GT complete series DVD set a few hours ago, and watching it got me thinking, why did Funimation release acceptable DVD versions of DB and GT, but completely drop the fucking ball on Z's? Why'd they even bother """remastering""" DBZ for the Orange Bricks when they hardly touched the other two series? I get that this has probably been discussed to death, but I don't understand why they'd do what they did with the Orange Bricks when it would've been cheaper and faster to just slap the original footage on some DVDs, especially considering they did exactly that for two other series.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

sintzu
Banned

Re: Funi's DB/DBGT video releases vs. DBZ's

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:13 am

They wanted to market it as "HD" even though that was a complete lie because they were on DVDs. They also wanted to market it as a "new" and "modern" show which like the HD, is a lie as it wasn't. The result is like you said, a complete mess and worse product than what we would've gotten if they just gave it a normal release which they started to with the ultimate uncut edition but stopped after 4 or 5 sets.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:47 am

What sintzu said. DBZ is their most marketable product so they probably wanted to cast the net as wide as possible. With the more niche appeal of DB and GT, it behooved them to do those ones "properly" so that they would appeal to their original audience and not shrink the net.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:07 am

But there's more to it than that, isn't there? Didn't Funimation only receive second-hand masters from Toei for Z, while it looks like they got much better footage for DB and GT?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:48 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:But there's more to it than that, isn't there? Didn't Funimation only receive second-hand masters from Toei for Z, while it looks like they got much better footage for DB and GT?
I'd contest that for Dragon Ball. There are a fair few shots that don't get the colours right, with greens suffering in particular:
GT though I'd get, considering there was only five or so years between it airing in Japan and then via Funimation. I remember looking up a GT Dragon Box comparison on this forum and it was pretty much "Dragon Box without noise".

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:59 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:But there's more to it than that, isn't there? Didn't Funimation only receive second-hand masters from Toei for Z, while it looks like they got much better footage for DB and GT?
For Dragon Ball and Z, Funimation got DigiBeta copies of the entire run from Mexico. It's possible the material they got before 1999(Which is to say, Dragon Ball 1-13, DB movie 1, DBZ 1-67, DBZ movies 1-3) may have been from Toei, but in either case, their DB and Z footage is standard-def NTSC DigiBeta footage. More than good enough for DVD.

For GT, Funimation were initially given the D2 tape master of GT, I'd guess from Mexico. However, they only used this footage for the ending song, aswell as a few shots of the opening song of their version of GT.
The vast majority of their footage comes from a work-in-progress version of the Dragon Box remaster, which was presumably given to Funi by Toei.

For Dragon Ball Z's home releases from 2007 on, Funimation had Toei send them 16mm film of the entirety of Dragon Ball Z, which would be third or fourth generation film. They also had 35mm film of all the movies sent along, including all four of Dragon Ball's.
Funi's film copies can generate great results, but they have to be handled with care; there's a ton of grain on the film, especially on the 16mm, the picture has lost detail from generational loss, and there's a lot of damage baked into the film from the previous few generations; most notably tape marks. As we see on the Levels and the HD masters of the four Dragon Ball movies though, this can all be managed very nicely to give us a nice, sharp, pretty clear picture.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 am

Robo4900 wrote:
For Dragon Ball and Z, Funimation got DigiBeta copies of the entire run from Mexico. It's possible the material they got before 1999(Which is to say, Dragon Ball 1-13, DB movie 1, DBZ 1-67, DBZ movies 1-3) may have been from Toei, but in either case, their DB and Z footage is standard-def NTSC DigiBeta footage. More than good enough for DVD.

For GT, Funimation were initially given the D2 tape master of GT, I'd guess from Mexico. However, they only used this footage for the ending song, aswell as a few shots of the opening song of their version of GT.
The vast majority of their footage comes from a work-in-progress version of the Dragon Box remaster, which was presumably given to Funi by Toei.

For Dragon Ball Z's home releases from 2007 on, Funimation had Toei send them 16mm film of the entirety of Dragon Ball Z, which would be third or fourth generation film. They also had 35mm film of all the movies sent along, including all four of Dragon Ball's.
Funi's film copies can generate great results, but they have to be handled with care; there's a ton of grain on the film, especially on the 16mm, the picture has lost detail from generational loss, and there's a lot of damage baked into the film from the previous few generations; most notably tape marks. As we see on the Levels and the HD masters of the four Dragon Ball movies though, this can all be managed very nicely to give us a nice, sharp, pretty clear picture.
Why did Funimation initially get there masters of DBZ from Mexico instead of Toei of Japan? Did this somehow provide them a discount on the footage? I'm just curious is all, I completely believe what you are saying fully.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:54 pm

This is one of my biggest woes as well. I mean, aesthetically, the Blue, Orange and Green bricks line up so nicely on a shelf together. If only the contents of the bricks were all consistent with one another.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:28 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:This is one of my biggest woes as well. I mean, aesthetically, the Blue, Orange and Green bricks line up so nicely on a shelf together. If only the contents of the bricks were all consistent with one another.
Yeah, unfortunately you have Z with the faux widescreen as compared to the other two series which were left as is in the original 4:3 aspect ratio.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:38 pm

ZodaEX wrote:Why did Funimation initially get there masters of DBZ from Mexico instead of Toei of Japan? Did this somehow provide them a discount on the footage? I'm just curious is all, I completely believe what you are saying fully.
It was cheaper to get tapes shipped from Mexico than from Japan. Simple as that.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:12 pm

Orange bricks are joke simply becuase of the crappy picture quality and zoomed in widescreen that actually cuts out parts of the actual picture.

The DB blue bricks and GT green bricks are perfect in my opinion.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:21 pm

excelhedge wrote:The DB blue bricks and GT green bricks are perfect in my opinion.
Aren't the Blue Brick releases slightly zoomed in, tho?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:22 pm

FUNimation thinks that Dragon Ball Z needs a remastered 16x9 AR version. It got a really good one but it wasn't by them.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:44 pm

BlueChi wrote:
excelhedge wrote:The DB blue bricks and GT green bricks are perfect in my opinion.
Aren't the Blue Brick releases slightly zoomed in, tho?
from what i understand they are in the original 4:3

Unlike orange bricks zoomed in 16:9

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:33 pm

They aren't. The biggest advantages the Blue Bricks and the Green Bricks have compared to the DB saga sets and GT singles are the higher bitrate, the Blue Bricks being progressive scan instead of interlaced, and ep 1-13 being released uncut in the US for the first time. The masters used in them are pretty much Funi's pre-existing digibeta masters DVNR'd and zoomed in slightly. While the master of DB predates the Dragon Box master, Funi's GT master IS the Dragon Box footage... or at least a variant before the cleanup process. The biggest advantage of the singles is a more authentic presentation (Japanese title cards in both; Japanese OP, ED and NEP for GT; dub OP, ED and NEP that isn't used in the Green Bricks; original dub sound mixes). And of course, all this only applies to DB and GT. For Z, the answers are more conditional.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:34 pm

excelhedge wrote:from what i understand they are in the original 4:3

They are in their original 4x3 AR but yeah, the DB bricks were zoomed in. The DB and GT season sets are serviceable but not great.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:44 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

They are in their original 4x3 AR but yeah, the DB bricks were zoomed in. The DB and GT season sets are serviceable but not great.
I still find the slight zooming not nearly as bad as cutting off 20% of the picture like the orange bricks with their faux widescreen presentation. Didn't they do that zoom in because of the artifacting and damage on their digibeta masters.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:03 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:44 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

I still find the slight zooming not nearly as bad as cutting off 20% of the picture like the orange bricks with their faux widescreen presentation. Didn't they do that zoom in because of the artifacting and damage on their digibeta masters.
Without seeing their Digibeta masters, or talking with someone who has it is impossible to say.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:59 pm For GT, Funimation were initially given the D2 tape master of GT, I'd guess from Mexico. However, they only used this footage for the ending song, aswell as a few shots of the opening song of their version of GT.
I guess this justifies my decision when collecting GT to track down all the singles (as well as the box sets they came in for aesthetic purposes) over the bricks. I don't really care about the dub with Japanese music and I suppose if I ever do the bricks are dirt cheap, but they just don't seem to look as good.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:37 am

Char Aznable wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01 am
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:59 pm For GT, Funimation were initially given the D2 tape master of GT, I'd guess from Mexico. However, they only used this footage for the ending song, aswell as a few shots of the opening song of their version of GT.
I guess this justifies my decision when collecting GT to track down all the singles (as well as the box sets they came in for aesthetic purposes) over the bricks. I don't really care about the dub with Japanese music and I suppose if I ever do the bricks are dirt cheap, but they just don't seem to look as good.
I definitely prefer the singles seeing as the they the complete authentic presentation of the Japanese version, and i don't really care to watch GT dubbed so they're very good in that aspect. The green bricks while at least not as bad as Z's season sets do lose some of that value with not having the elements that the singles have (original GT logo, Japanese OP/ED credits, NEP's) which is why i went with the latter in the box sets for all but the last five discs which didn't have it.

Basically, the source that FUNi got for GT from Toei in 2002/2003 was more or less an earlier stage of the masters that Toei later cleaned up for the Dragon Box and subsequent individual discs.