Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by Bridgeman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:03 pm

So it seems right now only the Saiyan Saga and Frieza Saga are out, but there's quite a large gap between the release dates of these. Is Viz still going to release the rest of the Dragon Ball Z color manga in english? Or is that it?

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by obiwan23s » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:07 pm

I think a lot of people want them to continue, and they have said that it is not cancelled yet, but there's no information on when it's coming back either.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 pm

Sweet. They don't need to rush as far as I'm concerned, it's more affordable for me that way. But I wanna know that it's not cancelled before I start collecting it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:47 am

Bridgeman wrote:Sweet. They don't need to rush as far as I'm concerned, it's more affordable for me that way. But I wanna know that it's not cancelled before I start collecting it.
I would wait and see as so far there are no signs of it coming back.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:04 am

It'd be a shame if it were cancelled, as far as I'm aware it's been the only publication of Dragon Ball in the original Shonen Jump size since it was in Shonen Jump! Not to mention it's pretty much the best way to read it.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:37 am

Just keep in mind that after they finisht the Saiyan arc, people thot the series was canceld then too. We can only hope (and ask them about it so they know we want it still).
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:58 pm

I think they'll complete it; it's just a matter of how long they're going to make us wait. I have no idea why they're putting such long gaps between releases, but at this rate, it looks like they won't be done until 2028.

Still, they seem to be selling pretty well, so I don't think they'll be cancelled.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I think they'll complete it; it's just a matter of how long they're going to make us wait. I have no idea why they're putting such long gaps between releases, but at this rate, it looks like they won't be done until 2028.

Still, they seem to be selling pretty well, so I don't think they'll be cancelled.
One factor (out of several I'm sure) is that while Full Color does use the same script ViZ has always used, the actual formatting of the text is actually different, so they have to redo all of that. I'm sure the fact that the English Full Color books have bigger dimensions than the Japanese one also plays some part of it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:09 pm

KBABZ wrote:One factor (out of several I'm sure) is that while Full Color does use the same script ViZ has always used, the actual formatting of the text is actually different, so they have to redo all of that. I'm sure the fact that the English Full Color books have bigger dimensions than the Japanese one also plays some part of it.
Sure, that would explain why this would take some time...

But they're spending 2 years on each arc, then taking about a year's break between. There's no way in hell it takes that long to do this kind of reformatting.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:38 am

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:One factor (out of several I'm sure) is that while Full Color does use the same script ViZ has always used, the actual formatting of the text is actually different, so they have to redo all of that. I'm sure the fact that the English Full Color books have bigger dimensions than the Japanese one also plays some part of it.
Sure, that would explain why this would take some time...

But they're spending 2 years on each arc, then taking about a year's break between. There's no way in hell it takes that long to do this kind of reformatting.
Maybe they don't want to over burn the market? By waiting a while they can anticipate each arc and get people excited for it, whereas if it is steady people may feel overwhelmed keeping up and lose interest?

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 am

They lose out on potential customers with these long gaps. I was planning on buying them when they went on sale but I refrained my self from doing so because i wasn't sure they'd actually continue them. I'm still not sure. This creates a viscous cycle, people aren't sure they'd follow through and thus not buy it then they think people aren't interested and cancel them.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:02 am

This is the kind of thing that's making me get the Japanese ones. I already gave up on seeing them do the Dragon Ball series, but who knows? 2024 might be a big year for Viz's version.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:11 am

I'm holding on, not until it's complete, but until I know it's going to be complete. I really love this release with it's larger size, but don't want to get stuck with an incomplete set of volumes from the middle of a story. If they announce they're releasing the first several arcs, I'll buy them up.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Fizzer wrote:I'm holding on, not until it's complete, but until I know it's going to be complete. I really love this release with it's larger size, but don't want to get stuck with an incomplete set of volumes from the middle of a story. If they announce they're releasing the first several arcs, I'll buy them up.
If and hopefully it does happen, how are they gonna label them? As they started FC Z off by calling it DB Volume 1.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Fizzer wrote:I'm holding on, not until it's complete, but until I know it's going to be complete. I really love this release with it's larger size, but don't want to get stuck with an incomplete set of volumes from the middle of a story. If they announce they're releasing the first several arcs, I'll buy them up.
If and hopefully it does happen, how are they gonna label them? As they started FC Z off by calling it DB Volume 1.
Don't they label them by arc? You know, "Saiyan Arc Volume 3" followed by "Namek Arc Volume 1"?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Fizzer wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Don't they label them by arc? You know, "Saiyan Arc Volume 3" followed by "Namek Arc Volume 1"?
*checks shelf*
You are correct, nevermind!

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Fizzer wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: If and hopefully it does happen, how are they gonna label them? As they started FC Z off by calling it DB Volume 1.
*checks shelf*
You are correct, nevermind!
I really do wish they'd done something about their early Z translation notes though, given that they finally dropped the Z (which never should have been there in the first place IMO)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:03 pm

I'm getting them as soon as because even if it is cancelled, it's a very premium way to read the manga regardless of how far in it gets.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Maybe they don't want to over burn the market? By waiting a while they can anticipate each arc and get people excited for it, whereas if it is steady people may feel overwhelmed keeping up and lose interest?
That makes no sense.
If they released it steadily, people who've bought the early volumes will almost certainly be on board for the next ones. It's a long-running manga; everyone knows what they're in for.
If there's a fear they'll be overwhelmed, just release them slowly and steadily; 3 or 4 volumes a year isn't too bad. But then adding a year's break every two years just makes people think it's been discontinued, thus leading them to give up and just buy another release, then not buy the full colours because most people hate double-dipping with this kind of thing.
Bruma rabu wrote:They lose out on potential customers with these long gaps. I was planning on buying them when they went on sale but I refrained my self from doing so because i wasn't sure they'd actually continue them. I'm still not sure. This creates a viscous cycle, people aren't sure they'd follow through and thus not buy it then they think people aren't interested and cancel them.
Exactly this.

I absolutely refuse to buy them until they've gone back and done the boyhood material. If they don't release that material at all, I'm just not going to bother, and I'll get the VizBigs instead. If they do release the boyhood material, then I'll only start buying it from the beginning of that material, because -- apparently unusually -- I like to experience Dragon Ball in order.

Yagami1211

Post by Yagami1211 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:27 pm

To think that since 1993, in France, we had an complete run of 5 different editions of the manga from Dragon Ball chapter 1 all the way to the end with Uub.