DBZ Blu-ray Orange Bricks are here to stay - "This is truly the best possible way to watch Dragon Ball Z"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: DBZ Blu-ray Orange Bricks are here to stay - "This is truly the best possible way to watch Dragon Ball Z"

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:09 am

Kuwabara wrote:[spoiler]
TheGreatness25 wrote: You make it seem like the overwhelming cost that caused Funimation to stop producing the Level Sets, was the packaging. That's not the case. The restoration process itself was the expensive part, as they hired a team of professionals to sit there and frame-by-frame correct the series. That cost them money. It's not about putting out enough episodes per disc. They were testing the waters if they should continue or not. Very smart people calculated how many episodes they needed per disc, probably putting it up against the sales of the orange bricks and other releases, to determine how many sets they'd need and at what cost, to make any sort of profit that's worth making. And apparently, the experiment failed. So, how do you figure that they went wrong by releasing it too early on with not enough episodes per set?

So according to your plan, they should have spent a ton of money to have the entire series restored on a pure gamble that they might or might not make their money back in an untested market, then put more episodes out per set, which meant less sets and thus, less opportunity to make back the money.
[/spoiler]
It isn't an untested market at all and not a gamble, I have no idea what you're talking about. If the Levels were released more like the current Blu-ray sets in terms of episode count and price, people would have bought them regardless because it's Dragon Ball Z, just like people would have still bought the Orange Bricks in droves if they were 4:3. It's Dragon Ball Z and at an affordable price. You also make it sound as if Funimation has nothing else going on in their portfolio to make them money. They're sitting on their current DVD sets of Dragon Ball, Z, and GT, which consistently make them money, on top of hundreds of other anime series they've licensed and released, which they can then (and often will) re-release in bigger, cheaper sets to make more money.
It was untested and a gamble because they hadn't spent so much money on the series before. They needed to test out many things, such as how much money they needed to raise to justify making the thing. They weren't going to sit back and remaster the whole thing just to later find out that they couldn't make a decent profit out of it.

Next, you think that people would have bought them "regardless," but the question is, are you sure that enough people would have bought them to justify the price they were paying to do this remastering process? That's the entire point.

Next, your comment about how they have other properties (and DB releases) to make them money. Come on. So because they are a successful company, they should take a gamble and release something that might not give them a justifiable profit, because they have other properties that make them money? Well, Disney is a thriving business, why don't they sell Disney World tickets for $5 for a month? Because that's not how business works. Maybe it's because they made smart -- smart to them, not necessarily great for us -- business decisions that they are in the successful position they're in.

Finally, they did release bigger, cheaper sets that sell great and cost them a lot less; they are called the Season Set Blu-rays. Thus, even if the Level Sets sold as much as the Season Sets, they still make a lot more money on the Season Sets because the production cost was a lot less. It's pretty simple math, really. They found a cheaper, more efficient way for them to remaster it and sell it in the bundle like you're referring to. So, mission accomplished for them.

And what about when Funimation released most of Z and all of GT in 3 episode volumes? They produced so many of these, per volume, that you can still readily find most of them for reasonably cheap, brand new. For such long series, that had to have been expensive, and a logistical nightmare, but they did it. So, you seriously think they couldn't have finished the Levels restoration if they would have just taken their time?
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. Yes, they released three episodes per disc. It was a total nightmare, sure. But that's how it used to be done, but don't think they weren't smart to the game back then. I don't know how many people bought individual volumes of the DVDs when they were selling saga boxed-sets. And also, might I kindly remind you, that the boxed-sets at the time with three discs averaged about $35, which meant $35 for a maximum 16 episodes. Sounds more like the Level Sets than the Season Set Blu-rays. I collected them back in that day, so I know the price. The "Fusion Saga," which has 22 episodes altogether, sold for $79.99. I remember that clearly. So I still don't know the point you're making because it sounds like the orange bricks spoiled fans by giving them over 35 episodes for a cheap price, so now some fans think that every release should be that cheap. People are kind of forgetting that it was cheap because the entire project was so cheap. If you complain about how cheap the project is, then you should feel compelled to pay more for a less cheap project, no? Had the orange bricks not existed, it would be completely normal in Dragon Ball territory, to pay $35 for 17 episodes, like the Level Sets offered. Seriously, gonna complain about 17 episodes and want more out of them? For Blu-ray? Well, you got your wish, and we're still complaining.

And no, I don't think "very smart people" calculated much of anything regarding the Levels, that should be obvious due to its poor performance sales-wise. Like the Ultimate Uncuts, it was more an issue of market oversaturation/timing, and poor marketing. The entire release strategy was a complete fumble every step of the way, though I partly blame fans for not buying them when the first two volumes were stellar releases. We had a close to perfect release that assailed everything we complained about with the Orange Bricks, and not enough people put their money where their mouth is.
So you're saying that the finance, sales, and marketing people hired at Funimation -- a company that has made hundreds of millions of dollars worth of profit -- are not "very smart people?" Really? Firstly, nobody said that they had poor performance; their performance was not good enough. Huge difference. So you think that these "not very smart people" should have been "smarter" and just thrown the company's money at a remastering process that they had no idea if it would work or not? Don't you get that the Level Sets being released the way they were, was a test on if they'd sell? The mistake was striking too early, when they were just coming off of two consecutive full releases of Dragon Ball Z.

For the last time, Funimation is a business. It has become successful because whether it makes sense to you or not, they've made good decisions. They have an excellent finance, sales, marketing, and production team. They make excellent decisions because the proof is in the pudding when they're an extremely successful company. And the bottom line for a company is profit. No justifiable profit, no reason to enter a particular business venture. If they can give fans what they want and make a satisfactory profit doing so, that's the ideal project. However, they're not going to give the fans everything and not get a return that they're happy with. They do not exist to stroke the fans non-stop. They have a product, fans want to pay for it. If fans don't want to pay for it, they're not going to supply the product. It's simple business. I don't know why some fans think that Funimation should be bending over backwards to give fans what they want just because. It costs roughly $250 to produce an iPhone, but will you ever catch Apple selling them for that price? Not in your wettest dreams. Know why? Because of the same reason that you didn't get Level Sets at 35+ episodes per set for $40 in 2011.

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: DBZ Blu-ray Orange Bricks are here to stay - "This is truly the best possible way to watch Dragon Ball Z"

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:18 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:It was untested and a gamble because they hadn't spent so much money on the series before. They needed to test out many things, such as how much money they needed to raise to justify making the thing. They weren't going to sit back and remaster the whole thing just to later find out that they couldn't make a decent profit out of it.

Next, you think that people would have bought them "regardless," but the question is, are you sure that enough people would have bought them to justify the price they were paying to do this remastering process? That's the entire point.
Yes, I'm sure! Look at tons of other Dragon Ball releases before it for proof. And as far as them testing the waters is concerned, why then did they even decide to release the Levels in the first place if they ever had doubts? Again, because it was a bungle from the jump. If they were really so business-savvy during that whole process, an analyst should have spoken up from the very beginning and said, "Guys, this isn't going to work." And it didn't. Why? I've already said why, but you insist on arguing otherwise as if my points have no merit.
TheGreatness25 wrote:Next, your comment about how they have other properties (and DB releases) to make them money. Come on. So because they are a successful company, they should take a gamble and release something that might not give them a justifiable profit, because they have other properties that make them money? Well, Disney is a thriving business, why don't they sell Disney World tickets for $5 for a month? Because that's not how business works. Maybe it's because they made smart -- smart to them, not necessarily great for us -- business decisions that they are in the successful position they're in.
No, you come on. Successful businesses also spend money to make money. An easy example would be The Trump Organization. Obviously a very successful company overall, and yet it's also spent, and subsequently lost, billions on various projects that didn't work out as intended. So has Apple actually, whom you reference later on in your post. So it goes. Granted, Funimation is no where near their level, and I would never say as much, but those are just examples. Meanwhile, your Disney World example is pretty cheap and tasteless by comparison. We're talking about a comparatively modest home media company vs. an entire theme park based on a media empire, of course such an infrastructure couldn't be sustained with a $5 monthly subscription. If you're trying to be funny, no one's amused and it adds nothing to the discussion.
Finally, they did release bigger, cheaper sets that sell great and cost them a lot less; they are called the Season Set Blu-rays. Thus, even if the Level Sets sold as much as the Season Sets, they still make a lot more money on the Season Sets because the production cost was a lot less. It's pretty simple math, really. They found a cheaper, more efficient way for them to remaster it and sell it in the bundle like you're referring to. So, mission accomplished for them.
The Season Blu-rays are a different release entirely, not a re-release of the Levels (If only). I meant literal repackaged DVD sets with new covers and disc art slapped over them, like the Yu Yu Hakusho season sets, or other "Part" releases later collected into seasons, of which there are countless examples. It's true that the Season Blu-rays make more money, now, but would anyone have complained if they hadn't come out at all and the Levels, fully restored from beginning to end, had started coming out in their place? It took 13 years, from the time DBZ first aired in America, to the release of Season 9 of the Orange Bricks in 2009, just for there to be a full, uncut release of the series on DVD. I'm fairly certain people could have waited a few more years for a full Blu-ray release too.
TheGreatness25 wrote:I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. Yes, they released three episodes per disc. It was a total nightmare, sure. But that's how it used to be done, but don't think they weren't smart to the game back then. I don't know how many people bought individual volumes of the DVDs when they were selling saga boxed-sets. And also, might I kindly remind you, that the boxed-sets at the time with three discs averaged about $35, which meant $35 for a maximum 16 episodes. Sounds more like the Level Sets than the Season Set Blu-rays. I collected them back in that day, so I know the price. The "Fusion Saga," which has 22 episodes altogether, sold for $79.99. I remember that clearly. So I still don't know the point you're making because it sounds like the orange bricks spoiled fans by giving them over 35 episodes for a cheap price, so now some fans think that every release should be that cheap. People are kind of forgetting that it was cheap because the entire project was so cheap. If you complain about how cheap the project is, then you should feel compelled to pay more for a less cheap project, no? Had the orange bricks not existed, it would be completely normal in Dragon Ball territory, to pay $35 for 17 episodes, like the Level Sets offered. Seriously, gonna complain about 17 episodes and want more out of them? For Blu-ray? Well, you got your wish, and we're still complaining.
What I'm saying is that Funimation, from 2000 to 2005, still managed to turn a profit with fairly overpriced three episode per volume releases of a nearly 300 episode series. During this period, Funimation had no where near as much capital or brand relevance as they did in 2011. Despite this, they managed to pump out 69 individual volumes, with runs in at least the hundreds of thousands each, and still make enough money to justify their production. Also keep in mind that they were also still in the process of dubbing the series itself as they were releasing most of these DVDs, which also cost a ton of money per episode. And, that's not even including all of the other series and projects they had their hands in at the time. So, stop giving me this shit about them "gambling," which is ridiculous. They have the money and resources to do more than you would ever want to admit in this exchange. Considering how small of a company Funimation was when they were first starting out, picking up the franchise at all could be seen as a gamble too, but I don't need to tell you how that turned out...
TheGreatness25 wrote:So you're saying that the finance, sales, and marketing people hired at Funimation -- a company that has made hundreds of millions of dollars worth of profit -- are not "very smart people?" Really? Firstly, nobody said that they had poor performance; their performance was not good enough. Huge difference. So you think that these "not very smart people" should have been "smarter" and just thrown the company's money at a remastering process that they had no idea if it would work or not? Don't you get that the Level Sets being released the way they were, was a test on if they'd sell? The mistake was striking too early, when they were just coming off of two consecutive full releases of Dragon Ball Z.
As successful as Funimation is, yes, I'm saying they're capable of making mistakes. Is that so unbelievable? You're also putting words into my mouth and making assumptions. Do you work for them or something? In general, of course I think they're a smart company... But we're talking about one specific instance, their Level Set release strategy.
TheGreatness25 wrote:For the last time, Funimation is a business. It has become successful because whether it makes sense to you or not, they've made good decisions. They have an excellent finance, sales, marketing, and production team. They make excellent decisions because the proof is in the pudding when they're an extremely successful company. And the bottom line for a company is profit. No justifiable profit, no reason to enter a particular business venture. If they can give fans what they want and make a satisfactory profit doing so, that's the ideal project. However, they're not going to give the fans everything and not get a return that they're happy with. They do not exist to stroke the fans non-stop. They have a product, fans want to pay for it. If fans don't want to pay for it, they're not going to supply the product. It's simple business. I don't know why some fans think that Funimation should be bending over backwards to give fans what they want just because. It costs roughly $250 to produce an iPhone, but will you ever catch Apple selling them for that price? Not in your wettest dreams. Know why? Because of the same reason that you didn't get Level Sets at 35+ episodes per set for $40 in 2011.
I never wanted them to release the Level Sets in 2011 and never said that, that's exactly what I'm arguing against! They could have satisfied casual and hardcore fans alike if they had just bided their time instead of going into the Level Sets in the gung-ho manner that they did. I'm not saying anything else after this post, you've proven over and over that you're content with arguing against whatever bits and pieces of my post you feel like.
Last edited by Kuwabara on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:10 pm

I really find myself cringing a bit when people blame the fans for the Level sets failing. I mean, that was just such a cock-up of a release schedule, it's mind-boggling. I can really only speak for myself, but I had literally just finished shelling out around $300 over the past two years to collect the Dragon Boxes when they announced the Levels. Even had I owned the format at the time, there is no way in hell I would have repurchased the series I had literally just finished buying. I can't see how many sane people would. And of course, the Dragon Boxes had come right off the heels of the season sets, but at least you could say those two releases were targeting two different groups of people. And then you had Kai releases at the same time as both the DBoxes and the Levels. And I don't care if the FUNimation reps say they treat them as two different products. I consider them to be two separate products too. But they'd be stupid to not recognize that they'd still end up competing with each other. There's only so much money, shelf space, and interest a person can invest in more DBZ releases. Throw in the perceived lesser value of a smaller episode count, and it's only natural that release failed. It couldn't have not failed.

That the presumably reasonably intelligent adults at that company, who breathe the same air as you and me, came away from that debacle with the "lesson" that fans will only buy DBZ in 16:9 with Vaseline smudged over the lens is just beyond asinine.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I really find myself cringing a bit when people blame the fans for the Level sets failing.
It isn't the fault of fans, and I take back what I said about partly blaming them... But you have to admit that it was a really unfortunate set of circumstances. The Level Sets had most everything anyone could have wanted besides NEPs, which the Dragon Boxes at least supplied. They were so carefully and thoughtfully restored and presented, a complete 180 from the Orange Bricks. Not only that, it was touted as the Blu-ray release of Dragon Ball Z, i.e. the mainstream release. When I saw that first trailer for Level 1.1, my first thought was, "We won." And then, we lost. So, to blame fans is harsh, but it's really unfortunate that more people couldn't have rallied for the Levels. The sad truth is that people, on all sides, just did not care enough back then, and probably still don't.
Gaffer Tape wrote:That the presumably reasonably intelligent adults at that company, who breathe the same air as you and me, came away from that debacle with the "lesson" that fans will only buy DBZ in 16:9 with Vaseline smudged over the lens is just beyond asinine.
To tell you the truth, I think it's worse that anyone, including detractors, are still content enough with settling for such releases. I would only ever buy them used.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn