DB for owning digitally?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

DB for owning digitally?

Post by 8bitdee » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Is there a way to own any of the DragonBall series digitally? Not to stream watch on Crunchyroll or Funimation, but actually own and download via a service like iTunes? Is the only option of owning a DB series by buying physical discs?

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: DB for owning digitally?

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:20 pm

8bitdee wrote:Is there a way to own any of the DragonBall series digitally? Not to stream watch on Crunchyroll or Funimation, but actually own and download via a service like iTunes? Is the only option of owning a DB series by buying physical discs?
I think you can buy them on Amazon but I'm not really sure how the process works or if they have the japanese version.

And if you want the manga I believe Amazon (Kindle) or ComiXology are good places to go for digital.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Microsoft is running their annual anime sale, and you can buy Dragon Ball Z for $12.99 per season. They've also got Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, and Super for sale at a discount as well. I believe the sale ends in 5 days.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p ... 6kgwzlcsk9

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:44 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
8bitdee wrote:Is there a way to own any of the DragonBall series digitally? Not to stream watch on Crunchyroll or Funimation, but actually own and download via a service like iTunes? Is the only option of owning a DB series by buying physical discs?
I think you can buy them on Amazon but I'm not really sure how the process works or if they have the japanese version.

And if you want the manga I believe Amazon (Kindle) or ComiXology are good places to go for digital.
Buying the manga from Amazon is my preferred method because you don't have to be connected to the internet in order to read them, unlike with ComiXology and ViZ.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:25 pm

KBABZ wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:

Buying the manga from Amazon is my preferred method because you don't have to be connected to the internet in order to read them, unlike with ComiXology and ViZ.
Doesnt Viz have downloading tho?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:45 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Doesnt Viz have downloading tho?
You're probably right, however the resolution of the pages on ViZ is apparently pretty poor compared to ComiXology and Kindle.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:32 pm

KBABZ wrote:
You're probably right, however the resolution of the pages on ViZ is apparently pretty poor compared to ComiXology and Kindle.
Dang i just bought super thru viz lol

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:12 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Oh no! : (

There was a podcast episode a while back (422?) where this topic was discussed (digital manga storefronts). ComiXology was the winner, but as I mentioned I prefer Amazon due to the lack of a required internet connection.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:41 pm

KBABZ wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: You're probably right, however the resolution of the pages on ViZ is apparently pretty poor compared to ComiXology and Kindle.
Oh no! : (

There was a podcast episode a while back (422?) where this topic was discussed (digital manga storefronts). ComiXology was the winner, but as I mentioned I prefer Amazon due to the lack of a required internet connection.
I zoomed in about half way. Can anyone post simiar shots from other sources? Image

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 pm

I'll have to wait until I get home, but while my Kindle version is about that size, it doesn't have jpeg artefacting on it.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:27 pm

Sorry guys, I was not clear in my OP. I was talking about the anime.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:37 am

KBABZ wrote: Buying the manga from Amazon is my preferred method because you don't have to be connected to the internet in order to read them, unlike with ComiXology and ViZ.
I dunno if that is how it used to be, but it’s no longer the case. The ComiXology app does allow you to download comics and view them offline. I just did it with DB vol 1 just to confirm.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:03 am

8bitdee wrote:Sorry guys, I was not clear in my OP. I was talking about the anime.
I believe PlayStation, Google, and Microsoft sell it. Possibly Amazon Video too?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:36 pm

snaku wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Buying the manga from Amazon is my preferred method because you don't have to be connected to the internet in order to read them, unlike with ComiXology and ViZ.
I dunno if that is how it used to be, but it’s no longer the case. The ComiXology app does allow you to download comics and view them offline. I just did it with DB vol 1 just to confirm.
Huh, interesting, that wasn't the case when I bought it! Must have changed since then.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:06 am

8bitdee wrote:Sorry guys, I was not clear in my OP. I was talking about the anime.

I believe all the series is up for purchase digitally
on Amazon from DB-GT but only the dub.

Some of Kai is available dubbed as well but only the first 3 seasons

The first 3 seasons of Super are also available on Amazon and dub & Sub this time.

And BOG and ROF are also available dubbed & subbed.

And to be clear when the dub and sub is available they are separate purchases.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Kinokima wrote:on Amazon from DB-GT but only the dub.

[...]

What? That's unusual... Typically, there's an option to switch the audio to Japanese, and turn on the Japanese translated subs. That's always how I've seen this stuff presented on Amazon. That really makes no sense.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Kinokima wrote:

The first 3 seasons of Super are also available on Amazon and dub & Sub this time.

Those are only streamable though. You can't download them. I was wondering if any series is available on a service where after purchasing I can actually download them to my computer like iTunes.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:35 am

8bitdee wrote:Those are only streamable though. You can't download them. I was wondering if any series is available on a service where after purchasing I can actually download them to my computer like iTunes.
I believe you can do that with the Microsoft store. Probably Amazon too.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:06 am

8bitdee wrote:
Kinokima wrote:

Those are only streamable though. You can't download them. I was wondering if any series is available on a service where after purchasing I can actually download them to my computer like iTunes.

Yes you can download them. You just need the Amazon Prime app. You don’t need Amazon Prime to acess the episodes.

Trust me I have a bunch of episodes on my phone :)