DB in style of CGI?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

DB in style of CGI?

Post by 8bitdee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:06 pm

So this is a fun thought that occurred to me lately due to 1) seeing more and more anime being produced in this style (especially in Netflix) and 2) Super's style leaving more to be desired.

How would you feel if the next DB series were to be done completely in CGI? It's been implemented before, in some scenes of BoG and RoF, and they were noticeable.

I'd like to know what people thought of them, and about a full series done in CGI style.

I think the initial reaction would be, "nope." Largely thanks to famous disasters and the thought that CGI just can't replace good ol' hand drawn animation.

But CGI in anime CAN be done right. You only have to look at one of the OPs for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure to see that.
And I recommend everyone to watch this video to see how when CGI makes anime look bad, it's not really CGI's fault, but the fault of the ones using it and the incorrect techniques being used when handling such technology. In the correct hands, it can do wonders.

Here's another fun thought. Take a look at Dragon Ball FighterZ. It's not the most perfect CGI depiction of anime, but I'd say it's as damn close as it can get. This is something that would never happened, but if Toei could somehow get the assets from Arc System Works and make the next DB series using that DBFighterZ engine, what would your reaction be? Even if it looks that good, would you still prefer DragonBall stick to regular animation for its TV shows?

And I guess this brings me to my final question: do you think DragonBall should be restricted to being animated in traditional ways? Does the style the DragonBall World lend itself to being only capable of being "correctly" depicted in 2D? Or can it evolve into other techniques (like in DBFighterZ), which stick the feel of the source material but is depicted in a new and exciting (and actually not bad) way?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DB in style of CGI?

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:08 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41042

This topic was brought up a while ago. I personally prefer traditional animation, particularly because that style of animation is dying.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Re: DB in style of CGI?

Post by 8bitdee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Ah sorry I did not see it. Thanks.
Mods can either close this or fuse it with that one.