NPD: US games biz has best January gains since 2011 (Thanks to Dragon Ball)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

NPD: US games biz has best January gains since 2011 (Thanks to Dragon Ball)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:03 pm

http://kidscreen.com/2018/02/23/npd-us- ... OgzaxKs%3d

US video game sales—including hardware, software and accessories—for January 2018 reached its highest total for the month since 2011, growing by 59% to US$1.1 billion, according to The NPD Group’s latest sales report.

Hardware spending jumped the most, up a whopping 119% versus a year ago to US$278 million. The increase was driven by sales of Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and Sony PlayStation 4, and marks the highest sales level since US consumers spent US$323 million in January 2011.

While Nintendo has recently been stealing thunder from Microsoft and Sony with the massive success of its Switch console (nearly 15 million units have sold globally to date), sales results from January show that the gap between the top-selling platform and the third best-selling one was only 3% (NPD isn’t permitted to release hardware sales rankings). Unit sales of Nintendo 3DS were also the highest since January 2013.

As for software sales, console, portable and PC games combined rose by 51% versus last January, reaching US$517 million. The result is the highest total since US$549 million was generated in January 2011.

Across all platforms, Dragon Ball: Fighterz (pictured) from Bandai Namco Games was the second best-selling game for January. The result marks a return to form in the gaming space for the long-running anime-based IP, as sales for Fighterz were the highest for a Dragon Ball franchise release since Dragon Ball Z: Budokai launched in December 2002. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse also cracked the top 20 best-sellers chart, landing in the 16th spot.

Nintendo hits Super Mario Odyssey, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 also continue to sell well, ranking seventh, eighth, ninth and eighteenth, respectively. EA’s Star Wars: Battlefront II also helped drive software sales by securing the 11th spot on the best-sellers list.

Meanwhile, total sales of accessories and gamecards in January 2018 jumped by 37% to US$301 million compared to a year ago. The previous record of US$272 million was reached in January 2013.

The industry’s record-breaking month follows the significant decline of US interactive gaming toy sales, which fell by 66% last December. Nintendo, however, remains committed to the category having just released its new Labo line of cardboard-based, interactive DIY experiences for kids.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

snaku
Regular

Re: NPD: US games biz has best January gains since 2011 (Thanks to Dragon Ball)

Post by snaku » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Makes sense, most publishers dump their heavy hitters during the holidays. January is usually a dead month.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Re: NPD: US games biz has best January gains since 2011 (Thanks to Dragon Ball)

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:13 am

snaku wrote:Makes sense, most publishers dump their heavy hitters during the holidays. January is usually a dead month.
That's not always true for video games. The first few months of a year can often be packed because publishers want to take advantage of tax returns/Christmas money.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.