Do fans of the English dub use the SSJ term?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Do fans of the English dub use the SSJ term?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:01 am

Because they say Super Saiyan. Not Super Saiyajin? Why is that so if they do?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Do fans of the English dub use the SSJ term?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:41 am

I don't. "SSJ" is just a term that a majority of Westerners decided to adopt for some reason*. It's not even a dub thing Japanese folk and Japanese merchandise hardly use "J" themselves.

*I know VegettoEX said they use it because SS sounds too much like a boat but I don't know what other people's reasonings are.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:24 am

Personally I prefer using SS, particularly in light of SSGSS, as ridiculous as it is, when it isn't the even more ridiculous SSJGSSJ.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:57 am

A lot of people seem to use "SSJ", which is especially weird given that the subs, the manga, the dub, everything render it in English as Super Saiyan...
In my experience, even a lot of dub fans seem to be doing it, and I just can't figure out why. In my view, saying SSJ instead of SS is equivalent to saying "Jinzoningen" instead of Artificial Humans/Androids
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:49 am

Only sometimes, mostly just because I think it sounds cool. In the same way that I like to repeat, "Supaaah Saiya-jin... SHREEEEE?!" if I hear it said in the show. If I use it at all seriously, chances are that I'm just trying to be as accurate to the source material as possible for someone that cares for it.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:00 am

I feel like SSJ is just this thing that's existed on the internet forever, particularly pre-dub days.

I have very vivid memories of seeing it when the dub had barely been on TV a year, and wondering what the hell the J meant.

I guess due to extended exposure over the years, I picked it up, and can't really be bothered to change (plus SS is kinda ugly and has some not so nice historical connotations).

I haven't been a dub-centric person in years and years, but even when I was, SSJ was just totally ingrained in me.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:18 am

I’ve tried switching over to SS but, like Ajay said, it’s pretty ugly. I find SSJ aesthetically pleasing to see and type so I stick with it. For Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, though, I just use SSG and SSGSS since the J just complicates matters more in that case.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:02 pm

I personally do. I'm as much as a dub fan as they come, and I like using it for abbreviations. I dont even remember when I picked it up; though I think it was when I was still involved in the Youtube comment scene (long before the age of DB youtubers)

SSJ just looks cool. SSJ. SSJ2, SSJ3, SSJ4, even the fan name for Grade 3 "Ultra Super Saiyan" looks cool as USSJ

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41 pm

I can say that I started to use SSJ mainly after starting to come onto message boards like this one. There were a lot of people that came from watching the Japanese version so SSJ was used more often than not. Writing SS seemed weird so I shifted to using SSJ. Oddly enough, I also started to use "Super Saiyan-jin" (though I have no doubt I originally butchered the pronunciation) when talking in conversation and I truthfully have no idea why. It sounded "better" I guess?
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:57 pm

KBABZ wrote:Personally I prefer using SS, particularly in light of SSGSS, as ridiculous as it is, when it isn't the even more ridiculous SSJGSSJ.
"SSJG", "SSJR" "SSJB" still also look pretty stupid in my opinion.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Personally I prefer using SS, particularly in light of SSGSS, as ridiculous as it is, when it isn't the even more ridiculous SSJGSSJ.
Which is why I just say God, Rose or Blue. SSG / SSR / SSB don’t look much better. It really fit with numbers but letters just looks strange.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Nah, can't really agree and don't see why you say that either. It seems as fine as using "SSJ2" or "SSJ3". Though, I do think SSJGSSJ is excessive but that's a just a problem with that name specifically.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:30 pm

I prefer SSJ like I do with SSG. It's only one letter after Super Saiyan, when SS2 and SS3 go like that just fine, but I prefer Blue and Rosé when the transformations have already been mentioned.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:34 pm

It is weird how the vast majority of dub fans use the terms SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ3, etc but we called Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue SSG and SSB instead of SSJG and SSJB.

For some reason the J just doesn’t look right in SSG and SSB

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:51 pm

I just had it engrained in my mind, I don't even know when it started it just...magically became apart of my Dragon Ball vocabulary :D

Like others have said, it just looks cooler and SS just feels like something's missing there in the acronym to me.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Ajay wrote:I feel like SSJ is just this thing that's existed on the internet forever, particularly pre-dub days.
It was indeed. Saiya-jin was overall at least equally if not somewhat MORE widely used than Saiyan in most pre-dub Dragon Ball discussions. SSJ was the most common abbreviation as a result. SS was used from time to time as well, but nowhere NEAR as often by any stretch.

SSJ is much like terms such as "Mystic Gohan", "USSJ", or "Saga"; these are all pre-dub online DB fan terms that have managed to latch onto the post-dub audience and live on up through even to this day still.

Also I subscribe to Mike's view on this: SS sounds way too much like some kind of cruise ship (or worse, some kind of Nazi rank). I've always snickered at the name of #13's attack "SS Deadly Bomber" from Movie 7 for that very reason. SSJ is thus what I've always, and likely will continue to always, use.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:07 pm

Am I the only one who has the "j" lowercase? As in "SSj"?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:09 am

It's just one of those things that carried over from the late 90s, to be honest. Like "Ultra SSJ" and "Mystic Gohan," these are the terms that existed before the dub even got to the point in the series where it had those particular terms applied. Personally, I usually just spell out "Super Saiyan," as I do think that "SS" sounds and looks strange, and yet, "SSJ" doesn't make sense if I'm not using "Super Saiya-jin."

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:44 am

It's a bit more obvious in general when people say SSJ that they're referring to Super Saiyan.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:59 am

I am a fan of the English dub and have started consistently using SS instead of SSJ. Thing is, I had to have pointed out to me that it is also written as SS in Japanese (-jin is used as a suffix in "Suupaa Saiyajin", so it's not worth its own letter, but I didn't know that back then), which I was made aware of thanks to SSGSS. That's what made me break the J habit and fully switch over. I think more people need an "epiphany" like that if they're going to drop the J. Of course, habits are strong...
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link