Watching Dragon Ball with kid(s) and their thoughts/reactions (update 23rd of september)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Watching Dragon Ball with kid(s) and their thoughts/reactions

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:05 am

Robo, the censored parts are just a matter of a few seconds or a few minutes at most so from a business perspective, it's pretty pointless to get back the VAs just for some lines.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Watching Dragon Ball with your kid(s) and their thoughts/reactions

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:10 am

Robo4900 wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:You find that strange? It's something that's naturally done to recover the censored scenes and have them included. European distributors do this to this day due to the forced censorship so the viewers and fans alike can have a complete, uncut set of it without scenes missing.

If FUNimation didn't do a redub for Dragon Ball Z you'd end up getting way more Japanese-based scenes than Europeans did. :wink: The censored US version features 276 episodes while the censored European version features 291.
Actually, if Funimation hadn't done a redub of Z, this would mean they'd still be using the Ocean cast most likely. Back in those days, Pioneer seemed to be considering doing some kind of uncut redub with the Ocean cast in the style of the movies they did, so if Funimation hadn't done it, Pioneer would have.

But yes, I absolutely still find it strange. Even if the dub was never recorded uncut, they could have brought the actors back to fill in the missing segments back when uncut releases were becoming a thing. I imagine it's probably been too long now, but back when this was first happening, I imagine the actors were young(And talented) enough to sound convincing enough in the missing scenes.

I just find this whole thing weird, though; surely, if fixing the missing scenes wasn't an option for some reason, they could just use branching to make the dub cut, and the sub uncut on the DVD?
I'm helluva glad they put the Japanese version where's it's censored. That's much better than leaving it censored.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:13 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Robo, the censored parts are just a matter of a few seconds or a few minutes at most so from a business perspective, it's pretty pointless to get back the VAs just for some lines.
Actors don't get paid by the second, or by the episode, they get paid by the line. Or by the amount of hours spent in the booth, if they're non-union.
So, while getting them back would likely not be cheap, it wouldn't be extortionately expensive, and it would mean they'd actually have a complete, uncut dub to sell.
Besides, Funimation redubbed about a third of the dialogue in episodes 68-291, which already had complete, uncut, functional dialogue in place, all in an attempt to fix the inconsistency between Ultimate Uncut and the original dub, which they could have just not done, since the jarringness would only cover the first few episodes after the switch-over anyway, and several characters(Such as everyone voiced by Sean Schemmel) didn't have any redubs at all, so it's still really jarring...
And yet, you're saying that adding a dub to some scenes the French dub never recorded originally would be infeasible?
sangofe wrote:I'm helluva glad they put the Japanese version where's it's censored. That's much better than leaving it censored.
I mean, I think the inconsistency would kill it for me. It's like this for me if I want to watch the Ocean dub, which I grew up with; if I want to see a pure version of Dragon Ball, I watch it subbed. Meanwhile if I want to see that goofy cartoon I grew up with 15 years ago, I watch the dub.

Besides, even though the Japanese version is present in the cut scenes of the French dub, I'm sure there's dialogue censorship and such that's baked into some dubbed scenes, so you're having to deal with censorship anyway. :P

(I'm surprised you don't have any input on the French dub not recording the cut scenes, though. I thought you'd have some strong opinions on that subject)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:20 pm

precita wrote:I don't imagine there are too many people with kids here. Most people here are still rather young, and many adults these days don't have children or have never gotten a date.
thats a pretty cynical and close minded thing to say.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:Robo, the censored parts are just a matter of a few seconds or a few minutes at most so from a business perspective, it's pretty pointless to get back the VAs just for some lines.
Actors don't get paid by the second, or by the episode, they get paid by the line. Or by the amount of hours spent in the booth, if they're non-union.
So, while getting them back would likely not be cheap, it wouldn't be extortionately expensive, and it would mean they'd actually have a complete, uncut dub to sell.
Besides, Funimation redubbed about a third of the dialogue in episodes 68-291, which already had complete, uncut, functional dialogue in place, all in an attempt to fix the inconsistency between Ultimate Uncut and the original dub, which they could have just not done, since the jarringness would only cover the first few episodes after the switch-over anyway, and several characters(Such as everyone voiced by Sean Schemmel) didn't have any redubs at all, so it's still really jarring...
And yet, you're saying that adding a dub to some scenes the French dub never recorded originally would be infeasible?
sangofe wrote:I'm helluva glad they put the Japanese version where's it's censored. That's much better than leaving it censored.
I mean, I think the inconsistency would kill it for me. It's like this for me if I want to watch the Ocean dub, which I grew up with; if I want to see a pure version of Dragon Ball, I watch it subbed. Meanwhile if I want to see that goofy cartoon I grew up with 15 years ago, I watch the dub.

Besides, even though the Japanese version is present in the cut scenes of the French dub, I'm sure there's dialogue censorship and such that's baked into some dubbed scenes, so you're having to deal with censorship anyway. :P

(I'm surprised you don't have any input on the French dub not recording the cut scenes, though. I thought you'd have some strong opinions on that subject)
It's perfectly fine that it changes to the japanese version, really. A little inconvient for my daugther, though. But you know what, the scenes she's enjoyed the most has been the censored scenes...

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:35 pm

sangofe wrote:It's perfectly fine that it changes to the japanese version, really. A little inconvient for my daugther, though. But you know what, the scenes she's enjoyed the most has been the censored scenes...
Haha. I know it'd drive me nuts. To each their own though, I suppose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:17 pm

I'd rather not have scenes dubbed now and then some dubbed back in the 80's. They would clash horribly. Especially since France was the first European country to get Dragon Ball and that shows in the audio quality.

We had the same situation in Latin America, No, we didnt dub cut footage, but some of the dialogue in the original dub was too damaged and they had to be redubbed. And the difference is that clear. Dubbing the cut scenes is a very bad idea. Unless its a whole redub.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:thats a pretty cynical and close minded thing to say.
But I'd argue that Precita made a good point as I've been reviewing the Dragon Ball fanbase for sometime now and she (the username seems feminine) isn't wrong.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:11 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
But I'd argue that Precita made a good point as I've been reviewing the Dragon Ball fanbase for sometime now and she (the username seems feminine) isn't wrong.
Precita is known for making vast generalization / exaggerations about the fanbase. I wouldn’t take what he or she says seriously.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Precita is known for making vast generalization / exaggerations about the fanbase. I wouldn’t take what he or she says seriously.
Fair enough but what I've read is quite unbelievable.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'd rather not have scenes dubbed now and then some dubbed back in the 80's. They would clash horribly. Especially since France was the first European country to get Dragon Ball and that shows in the audio quality.

We had the same situation in Latin America, No, we didnt dub cut footage, but some of the dialogue in the original dub was too damaged and they had to be redubbed. And the difference is that clear. Dubbing the cut scenes is a very bad idea. Unless its a whole redub.
I was suggesting they should have redubbed it back when uncut releases were first starting to become a thing, which would probably be like the '90s, or early '00s. The original dubbing itself would have been around the mid to late '90s, so the new dubbing would only be a few years later; definitely soon enough that they could convincingly sound like they originally did, and the "New" uncut official release would likely generate some hype.

I've always thought that story about Latin America was fishy. That dub used the original Kikuchi score, so by saying the audio was too damaged to be used, you're saying there was not a single copy in the world of those parts of the Latin American dub, in any form. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying I've always thoght that was a pretty weird thing for the Latin American dubbing company to claim, and honestly, I don't really buy it...
For it to be unusable, there would have to not be a single copy of the episodes in existence at any TV station, video publishing house, or anything. No audio copies kept for any actors' demo reels, no backup tape copy of the completed episodes, nothing. Plus, didn't Funimation use the original Latin American dub for all 27 episodes of Ultimate Uncut in 2005?...
I dunno what went on over there, but the official story sounds pretty far-fetched.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:27 pm

^ Yes, and FUNimation meant to release a 10th volume of the UUE but that tanked.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:40 pm

Yes, but Funi did release a tenth volume with the Latino Spanish dub, albeit with Orange Bricks video footage (along with separate Latino Spanish only volumes with OB footage for Vol 1-9)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:00 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
Really? How do you explain that the largest fanbase in france are in their thirties then? It is not uncommon to have kids at that age.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:41 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'd rather not have scenes dubbed now and then some dubbed back in the 80's. They would clash horribly. Especially since France was the first European country to get Dragon Ball and that shows in the audio quality.

I've always thought that story about Latin America was fishy. That dub used the original Kikuchi score, so by saying the audio was too damaged to be used, you're saying there was not a single copy in the world of those parts of the Latin American dub, in any form. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying I've always thought that was a pretty weird thing for the Latin American dubbing company to claim, and honestly, I don't really buy it...
For it to be unusable, there would have to not be a single copy of the episodes in existence at any TV station, video publishing house, or anything. No audio copies kept for any actors' demo reels, no backup tape copy of the completed episodes, nothing. Plus, didn't Funimation use the original Latin American dub for all 27 episodes of Ultimate Uncut in 2005?...
I dunno what went on over there, but the official story sounds pretty far-fetched.
Which story are you talking about? What did the "Latin American dubbing company" claim that sounds fishy?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:02 am

Back when I lived with my sister I watched DBZ with my niece and nephews a few times. They really enjoyed BOG and I remember my nephew getting pretty into BT3. Also I once lent my Dragonbox sets to my nephew when he was sick. I just can't get them to watch it subbed though. :problem:

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:19 am

Danfun64 wrote:Yes, but Funi did release a tenth volume with the Latino Spanish dub, albeit with Orange Bricks video footage (along with separate Latino Spanish only volumes with OB footage for Vol 1-9)
Can you post a link and image of the Mexican dub release by FUNimation? I can't find it anywhere, well, at least not for sale.
sangofe wrote:Really? How do you explain that the largest fanbase in france are in their thirties then? It is not uncommon to have kids at that age.
I wasn't actually specifically talking in reference to the French Dragon Ball fanbase but the English fanbase in itself. It's normal now for people to not have kids in their 30s but it's not normal for them to behave so irrationally.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:21 am

I really hope you are talking about precita.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:Yes, but Funi did release a tenth volume with the Latino Spanish dub, albeit with Orange Bricks video footage (along with separate Latino Spanish only volumes with OB footage for Vol 1-9)
Can you post a link and image of the Mexican dub release by FUNimation? I can't find it anywhere, well, at least not for sale.
Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Prin ... B001C4ZQDO
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:39 am

According to the reviews it's a garbage release.
Amazon Review wrote:Has no Menu, and only plays in Spanish and only in 16x9 Widescreen. Be warned, it might have been re-issued.
So this doesn't even have the UUE remastered footage but rather the Orange Bricks (Widescreen).