When will we get a new Japanese Goku VA?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

When will we get a new Japanese Goku VA?

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:52 pm

Let me say, I love Masako Nozawa as the one and only true Son Goku (+ Gohan, Goten, Bardock, Tullece) voice but we can't just pretend she'll be sticking around forever (she's 81) as neither will any of us be. The point I'd like to make here, with the 20th Dragon Ball movie coming up may that be one of the last DB productions in which we'll have the original Goku VA before a new replacement takes over.
Kappei Yamaguchi as Son Goku in DBE did a stellar job and it proved he definitely can fill the role, he's not just an imitation of Masako's Goku but rather had his own identity, personality and voice all of which I really liked very much despite that the movie wasn't too pleasing to watch. The final scene Goku vs Piccolo really pumped me up and I adored how he said "Ka-Me-Ha-Me-Ha!!".
Here's hoping Yamaguchi gets picked to be the new Goku VA. :) It's inevitable, TOEI won't just make Goku a secondary character or put him aside because he's the bread and butter of the Dragon Ball franchise as a whole.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: When will we get a new Japanese Goku VA?

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Would you mind including a clip Kappei Yamaguchi's Goku in DBE?

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:22 pm

sangofe wrote:Would you mind including a clip Kappei Yamaguchi's Goku in DBE?
Sure thing. Hearing this Japanese Goku kind of felt so natural even though I'm so used to Masako's voice. TOEI could do a new 'Gather Together!" special where Masako Goku and Yamaguchi Goku would meet and Masako would pat him on the back (just as the original special).
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Doesn't the replacement have to be from the same agency? In the case of Dragon Ball, it is Aoni Production.

Also, who knew? Aoni Production is Japanese for Blue Two Productions.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:08 am

How about this guy?

https://youtu.be/BCaM7b_p1Ws
The world is your's.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:16 am

Guess Keppei was the one voicing L, then he musta also voiced Inuyasha

No joke. He may get the funny part somewhat down, but never Goku's innocence & purity as Masako's

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:23 pm

Yamaguchi would be a great replacement, but I can also see Junichi Kanemaru, Nobuyuki Hiyama and Romi Park in the role.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:31 pm

I think they already have her replacement in case something happens. I don't know if they should replace her after the next movie but it should be before something bad happens to her as doing it while she's alive and well will be a lot easier for fans to accept then after her death.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:58 pm

Hopefully a new one won't be needed for a long time to come. :D
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:19 pm

If Yanami kept going until he was literally too sick to continue then I imagine Nozawa will do the same and the replacement will happen mid-run of whatever they're doing at the time. I also imagine she has a back up waiting in the wings that she may have trained personally.

But yeah, hopefully it'll be a long time before that happens.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:41 pm

Chuquita wrote:If Yanami kept going until he was literally too sick to continue then I imagine Nozawa will do the same and the replacement will happen mid-run of whatever they're doing at the time. I also imagine she has a back up waiting in the wings that she may have trained personally.

But yeah, hopefully it'll be a long time before that happens.
I just hope that she won't actually be voicing Goku if she gets too ill to do so. It's so sad listening to Joji Yanami in the early episodes of Super. I'd like for her to exit the role with a good performance.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 pm

I second the sentiment that I hope she's not replaced for a long time. When the time comes though, personally, I see them sticking with another woman in the role, as it won't be near as much of a clash for Japanese fans. That said though, I don't know that they'll be able to find someone talented enough to pull off ALL of the roles that Nozawa does. Most likely, they'll get someone who can play the young and adult forms of Goku, who will also play Turles and Goku Black, and probably Bardock as well (though personally I wouldn't mind see that role finally go to Shigeru Chiba). A second person (also likely a woman) will get to play all ages of Gohan. A third will then play Goten.
Metalwario64 wrote:I just hope that she won't actually be voicing Goku if she gets too ill to do so. It's so sad listening to Joji Yanami in the early episodes of Super. I'd like for her to exit the role with a good performance.
I definitely feel that sentiment as well. While I want to hear Nozawa keep playing the role until she's unable to, if it's a slow decline at some point...that's just heartbreaking to listen to. I've already gone through that three times now with Yanami as Kaio (I never felt his narrator got too bad towards the end of his tenure with the part, it was mostly just his Kaio), Goro Naya as Lupin the 3rd, and for a non-anime example, Peter Falk as Columbo - I don't know if my heart can take hearing the same thing happen with Nozawa.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: I just hope that she won't actually be voicing Goku if she gets too ill to do so. It's so sad listening to Joji Yanami in the early episodes of Super.
Sadder than that is that DBS is the only DB anime some people saw in japanese, so the only impression those people got from Yanami is that. He didn't deserve to go out like that, but his performance was indeed terrible due the circumstances.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:36 pm

Takahiro Sakurai. His Reigen Arataka is Goku worthy.

Pirina_Fusee

Post by Pirina_Fusee » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:17 am

I hate to admit it but it probably would be better to phase out Nozawa while she's still alive than have to suddenly replace her - you avoid a Carrie Fisher-style panic-mode situation that way.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:10 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:Let me say, I love Masako Nozawa as the one and only true Son Goku (+ Gohan, Goten, Bardock, Tullece) voice but we can't just pretend she'll be sticking around forever (she's 81) as neither will any of us be. The point I'd like to make here, with the 20th Dragon Ball movie coming up may that be one of the last DB productions in which we'll have the original Goku VA before a new replacement takes over.
Kappei Yamaguchi as Son Goku in DBE did a stellar job and it proved he definitely can fill the role, he's not just an imitation of Masako's Goku but rather had his own identity, personality and voice all of which I really liked very much despite that the movie wasn't too pleasing to watch. The final scene Goku vs Piccolo really pumped me up and I adored how he said "Ka-Me-Ha-Me-Ha!!".
Here's hoping Yamaguchi gets picked to be the new Goku VA. :) It's inevitable, TOEI won't just make Goku a secondary character or put him aside because he's the bread and butter of the Dragon Ball franchise as a whole.

After Nozawa passes away