That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha! manga is being released by Viz!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Re: That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha! manga is being released by Viz!

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Questionable marketing aside, hell the fuck yeah. It's getting a physical release, right?
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:31 pm

Given that the whole conceit and selling-point of the manga is based around the meme of Yamcha being a joke, I don't see the point of getting angry about that marketing line.

I'm keen to give this a go now. Animated adaptation when?

Pirina_Fusee

Post by Pirina_Fusee » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:51 pm

Man that line is trying too hard. "We is Vizzle, we down with da kidzzle dizzle! Emoji!"

AwesomeEliyafeth

Post by AwesomeEliyafeth » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:48 pm

I would like to throw in my two cents.

Not only is the Yamcha manga coming but Full Color is NOT CANCELLED. I specifically asked Viz about Full Color seeing how the Yamcha spinoff was coming and I got this reply:

"Dragon Ball Full Color is not cancelled. However, Dragon Ball Full Color arcs are licensed separately from one another so we still have no word on a release of the next arc. But we did just announce Dragon Ball: That Time I Was Reincarnated as Yamcha, Toriyama Sensei's Dragon Quest Artbook, and of course we are continuing our release of the Dragon Ball Super manga."

THERE IS HOPE YET

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:07 pm

I mean... I'd say I'm surprised but... I'm really not.

On a more positive note, it's cool to see it getting a western release. I just hope they don't change the translation all that much and that's the reason their marketing scares me.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:08 pm

Logania wrote:
Kid Buu wrote: Okay that I can agree with (and I'm personally not a fan big fan of that direction).
I'm not either, as I do like Yamcha. Just weird how everyone is so shocked and outraged when it's been happening since RoF lol
ROF came out in 2015, which is still pretty new for this series.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:20 pm

Pirina_Fusee wrote:Man that line is trying too hard. "We is Vizzle, we down with da kidzzle dizzle! Emoji!"
Best. Post. EVER.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Pirina_Fusee

Post by Pirina_Fusee » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:23 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Pirina_Fusee wrote:Man that line is trying too hard. "We is Vizzle, we down with da kidzzle dizzle! Emoji!"
Best. Post. EVER.
Wow, seems I've already made a good first impression here!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:27 pm

Dragon Garow Lee is easily my favorite of the new guard of DB artists. I am really excited for this release and hope that he can continue working with the franchise. Also maybe just surge Yamcha's popularity a bit.

As for the comment that people are fixating on...I mean the actual premise of this manga is based on that idea of Yamcha anyway.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:41 pm

Makaioshin wrote:As for the comment that people are fixating on...I mean the actual premise of this manga is based on that idea of Yamcha anyway.
Exactly. The manga's whole premise is a fan being 'reborn' as Yamcha, and being savvy enough to realize 'well crap, that's not gonna work out the best for me in the end...maybe I can try and change things for the better!'. I do wish more was done with the 'changing for the better' angle in the end, but the story is what it is, and it's not really that ill-fitting to advertise it as such. Especially when people are gonna make the jokes as soon as it comes anyway.

Honestly, I'm just super jazzed that we're actually getting it. I was worried we wouldn't. Here's hoping Viz can find even more DB stuff to give us - I'd still sell my first born child practically for English translations of the daizenshuu (or even better, the newer chozenshuus that came out a few years back). :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Pirina_Fusee wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Best. Post. EVER.
Wow, seems I've already made a good first impression here!
You sure did! Welcome!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:32 pm

I’ll buy it , it was pretty successful in Japan , so there’s chances to be a good one .
About yamcha memes or internet jokes I have no idea , but I.m.o yamcha has being always develop as a funny guy and the weakest of the strongest, it’s not a super thing , and that’s why he was chosen for this manga instead of any other one , he fits perfect with the story .
There’s good reviews about the artist draws too , so I’m looking forward .
Is this dragon lee currently working in something else ?
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Yeah, I'll be picking this up when it releases but I hope the translations are good... which they should be. *crosses fingers*
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:00 pm

I'm glad they will finally release this manga. While unfortunetly it's at Yamcha's expense, its still an entertaining manga.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:32 am

Haha, guess I'm alone with regards to the Yamcha comment. Give me a slight chuckle. Anyway, that's nice, good on Viz.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:01 am

Nice to know when the manga is getting released. As far as the comment from Viz is concerned... who cares? At this stage, it's just beating a dead horse.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:04 pm

Actually i'm not surprised by their comment.

Because thats how the majority of Dragon ball fans see him.
My English is poor .

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:20 pm

prince212 wrote:I’ll buy it , it was pretty successful in Japan , so there’s chances to be a good one .
About yamcha memes or internet jokes I have no idea , but I.m.o yamcha has being always develop as a funny guy and the weakest of the strongest, it’s not a super thing , and that’s why he was chosen for this manga instead of any other one , he fits perfect with the story .
There’s good reviews about the artist draws too , so I’m looking forward .
Is this dragon lee currently working in something else ?
Memes have nothing to do with powerlevels, Vegeta is the second most meme character of the franchise.

As far as Toryama wrote and this is why this Manga is good - Yamcha is simply (yes, among the weakest, that`s what the humans are, the weakest of the strong) the cast member with lousier luck aside from Chiatzu. Being "puny" has nothing to do it unless it is to acentuate how small he/they are is in the grand scheme of things in the Dragon universe. The thing with the original series is, while some of the cast was fighting giants who just smelled bad he was fighting the main antagonist*. He`s the fall guy. But at the time he was introduced he was rewarded things, something that gradually disappeared later.

Now, the fandom perception is of course skewed because of the very nature of the beast. To them "bad luck" simply translates into being a shit fighter and character. That`s nothing unique to Dragonball. In OPM, Genos is mainly seen by its fandom as a joke because powerful as he is he always plays second fiddles to the main and two or three other characters who are still stronger than he is. Again, shit luck because he almost always fights the guys that Saitama ends up defeating.

This is even weirder because the Yamcha meme is born when he actually defeats his opponent but then gets killed #outtanowhere.

Vegeta somehow escapes this (not wholly) but somehow does because they keep giving him something to remain the popular rival of Goku whereas the rest were handled peanuts. Oh and a win here and there helps too.
Lord Beerus wrote:Nice to know when the manga is getting released. As far as the comment from Viz is concerned... who cares? At this stage, it's just beating a dead horse.
The dead horse has long started to stink.

They could make this work, this idea, by making it sympathetic and layering the character as the ultimate underdog of the franchise or even Anime but no, they just stamp the same joke line. There is zero criativity in the way they promote it.

But that is just my opinion.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:43 am

I'm surprised so many of you take issue with the tweet, but I'm glad because it's pretty damn stupid. I have to admit that it didn't bother me when I first read it though, I'm so desensitized to marketing like this by now. Video games are especially bad when it comes to stuff like this.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:55 pm

Viz's failed attempt to look hip by trying to connect to the younger generations by referencing memes aside, I'm more annoyed that this got announced literally just a few days after I spent money buying the Japanese version and it being delivered. Just my fucking luck. Oh well, guess I'll be buying it again.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim