How popular Dragon Ball in your country

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: How popular Dragon Ball in your country

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:12 pm

AizenYTBR wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:50 pm Here in Brazil the series is ABSURDLY popular, it has been broadcast dozens of times in all possible places. The biggest television station in Brazil, "REDE GLOBO" had some problem with DBGT, as I remember that the last episode was never broadcast, it always stopped at the penultimate one and then the program would restart.

It's really hard to find a Brazilian aged between 18-30 years who has never watched dragon ball as a child. Very difficult indeed.
Also, for what it's worth, Neymar has a big SS Goku tattoo on his back.

AizenYTBR

Post by AizenYTBR » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:52 pm

Neymar is just one of the millions of fans that the franchise has in Brazil. Here the "fanaticism" is so intense that he just posts a photo on an oxygen device (apparently standard procedure for football players) and people already compare him to goku (when he's recovering before fighting a frieza)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:31 pm

Being in the United States, Dragon Ball is stupidly popular. It was everywhere during the late 90s and early 2000s. Tons of kids and teens were into it. It fell off a bit during the late 2000s but now it's arguably bigger than ever following the release of Battle of Gods.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:29 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:31 pm Being in the United States, Dragon Ball is stupidly popular. It was everywhere during the late 90s and early 2000s. Tons of kids and teens were into it. It fell off a bit during the late 2000s but now it's arguably bigger than ever following the release of Battle of Gods.
Macy's Thanksgiving Parade 2018. Nuff said

This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 am

Very nice topic Sir.

In mexico dragon ball was an instant success, the king of all cartoons, before original dragon ball was released in mexico in 1993 called "zero and the magic dragon". Before that the kings were TMNT and Batman TAS. What made DB different to other cartoons was the fact that many older guys would watch it, not just children. Some men would get out of work early just to be able to get home and watch DBZ.

In mexico people love telenovelas (soupe opera) because the "to be continued" is exciting and the cliffhangers that DBZ displayed caused many people to become fanatical.

We had the bootleg paradise in the 90s. Absolutely anything you can think of had goku on it. I regret the fact that back in those days it was so hard to get a camera whilst being a child and digital cameras did not exist, most of such merchandise was chinese and it is destroyed by mere old age by now. Few people has kept the stuff, the merchandising for DB in mexico was huge. We would also get many magazines and encyclopedia stuff in spanish from Spain.

In fact I have a whole series of posts on my gallery, every friday I post a "wacky and mexican dragon ball" (#31 comes out today!) where I try to tell stories of how mexicans really love dragon, there is the Piñata special, Goku's cumbia and veget'as song to name a few... https://www.deviantart.com/saiya6cit/ga ... mexican-db

so I'm trying gather evidence that's it.