How popular Dragon Ball in your country

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gohan123
Not-So-Newbie

How popular Dragon Ball in your country

Post by Gohan123 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:27 pm

My country was indonesian . I watch Dragon Ball when i still kid and now more watch Naruto and One Piece than DB however despite that people still know about Goku despite his show was really over .

Also there a kid named Goku Kamehame and he was really popular .

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: How popular Dragon Ball in your country

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:33 pm

There's a fanbase here in Canada but it's mostly people older than me. My generation (older teens) is the last to have grown up with DB, unfortunately. Plus, the fandom is significantly smaller in my generation so a lot of the people I talk to who know Dragon Ball are in their 20s or 30s.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:34 pm

I'm Malaysian

DBZ was a beast way back in 90's~early 2000

Every kid knew bout Goku, Vegeta, Gohan.

Gotta say Kamehameha & Galick Gun was shot by my classmates at least ONCE a day to 1 nother

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:37 pm

In Dominican Republic the series is popular, many people talk about it and I see some graffiti's of it. Heck they air Super and Kai everyday in Japanese and Spanish.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:44 am

floofychan333 wrote:There's a fanbase here in Canada but it's mostly people older than me. My generation (older teens) is the last to have grown up with DB, unfortunately. Plus, the fandom is significantly smaller in my generation so a lot of the people I talk to who know Dragon Ball are in their 20s or 30s.
A friend of mine has little brothers (6-8ish i think) who watch dubbed Dragon Ball Super regularly, so I wouldn't be so fast to say that we're the last.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:24 pm

One_Instance wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:There's a fanbase here in Canada but it's mostly people older than me. My generation (older teens) is the last to have grown up with DB, unfortunately. Plus, the fandom is significantly smaller in my generation so a lot of the people I talk to who know Dragon Ball are in their 20s or 30s.
A friend of mine has little brothers (6-8ish i think) who watch dubbed Dragon Ball Super regularly, so I wouldn't be so fast to say that we're the last.
I'm surprised they were able to find that. The majority of people my age and younger start watching exclusively modern anime like Yuri on Ice and random idol group stuff and for the most part completely disregard Dragon Ball or any kind of anime or manga that was made before they were born.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:59 pm

In the UK it isn't as much as in the US, but is still pretty damn popular. Resurrection F actually broke into the UK box office top 10, and did so well that Manga UK extended the screening and pushed the home release back by several months, and even gave it an encour screening later on. The Orange Bricks also consistently topped the UK anime sales charts despite 5 years of people importing prior to their UK release. And more recently the Super Blu-rays have been the No.1 selling anime on Amazon UK. And both BoG and RoF seemed to do really well on Sky Movies, both being re-aired several times over the course of several months.

Back in the early 2000s it did extremely well on Cartoon Network UK throughout its run, getting daylong marathons and mini-marathons regularly. The Frieza saga in particular got loads of marathons. DB and GT did ok, but nowhere close to Z as they didn't stay on the air nearly as long as Z did after ending. Kai did pretty well on Kix and topped the ratings at least once, but not as well as it could have done on a less obscure channel.

The games also sold really well here with all 3 Budokais going platinum, and with Fighterz getting to No.2 on the UK sales chart back in January. As a matter of fact the games continued to do well here long after Z went off the air and long before us getting a home release or Kai airing.

While there is a stigma for anime here Dragonball does have a strong and dedicated following.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:52 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I'm surprised they were able to find that. The majority of people my age and younger start watching exclusively modern anime like Yuri on Ice and random idol group stuff and for the most part completely disregard Dragon Ball or any kind of anime or manga that was made before they were born.
Yeah that seems to be the general trend unfortunately, but I'm glad to say that it's not all encompassing.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:16 pm

In Argentina it was a success since 1997, 1998, maybe even earlier, and probably so in Uruguay and other near latinamerican countries. It had mainly a kids fanbase, the Broly movie even had tv news shows covering the children on the theaters going crazy. Today I found out the fanbase was even greater than I imagined, back in the day 7 out of 10 admitted watching DBZ, but it turned out to be 9 out of 10 because some were "silent fans" who denied it because "it's a cartoon show, grow up already, stop watching TV" from friends and older brothers or even parents.
But even adults used to watch the show, the richest kids and the poorest ones, those who became doctors and those who became drug dealers. Last year a team scored a goal and celebrated by doing the fusion dance.
The fanbase keeps growing (even though after GT aired in early 2000s, until like 2010 there wasn't much DBZ on TV), the adult fanbase from the 90s made their children watch DBZ, it seems a mandatory thing like sending them to schooll

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Koitsukai wrote:In Argentina it was a success since 1997, 1998, maybe even earlier, and probably so in Uruguay and other near latinamerican countries. It had mainly a kids fanbase, the Broly movie even had tv news shows covering the children on the theaters going crazy.
Wow, this is a really great story! :D Do you know if there is any footage of that news broadcast?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:15 pm

One_Instance wrote:
Koitsukai wrote:In Argentina it was a success since 1997, 1998, maybe even earlier, and probably so in Uruguay and other near latinamerican countries. It had mainly a kids fanbase, the Broly movie even had tv news shows covering the children on the theaters going crazy.
Wow, this is a really great story! :D Do you know if there is any footage of that news broadcast?
If there is, it's not on youtube. Also I might be wrong about the movie, it could've been Tapion's movie or Fusion Reborn, I do recall a 20ish y-o-dude surrounded by kids yelling IT IS THE BEST MOVIE IN THE WOOOORRLD.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:56 pm

I'm in the United States, so, its pretty big here, particularly among people my age group that grew up with it.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:53 pm

I'm also in the United States where DB is so popular that there tend to be a few too many cooks in the kitchen when it comes to decision making regarding its distribution. This of course results in some pretty bone head decisions.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:07 pm

I'm jealous of ALL you guys because I seriously suspect that my own country, Sweden, might be one of the ones where DB is LEAST popular. See the thing is, none of the shows in the franchise has EVER been localized here. It has never aired on any TV station ever. Not even DBZ back when it was sweeping the whole world back in the 90's ever reached Sweden.

But with that said, I have noticed one thing that puts a smile on my face. Namely that even though the franchise is largely unknown among my generation (born in 86 btw) I have seen first hand that certain teenagers seem to be fans of the show. I was a substitute teacher for a short while, and sometimes when I talked with the students about what they liked it turned out that a lot of them were into anime, and DBZ was frequently mentioned. So it seems that at least a fair share of todays "internet generation" have discovered DB on their own out there on the web, as opposed to my generation who (in our childhood) mostly just knew about what cinemas and TV showed us.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:12 pm

Here in Italy it's pretty well known and appreciated, thanks to the main TV channel airing it non stop for 20+ years.
Get Fucked, C_unt

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Here in Canada it used to be popular between 1999 and 2007 roughly. It used to come on daily on YTV during the popular lineup of shows for kids called "The Zone" which aired after school Monday through Friday from 4-6pm. Me and my friends used to race home after school let out at 3:30. Dragonball Z was aired in between those times along with other shows like Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Ranchers, Mummies Alive, Hey Arnold, Johnny Bravo, etc. It was a lineup of 4 shows in a two hour period that got switched around but they never switched DBZ around.

Monster Ranchers was another show that was pretty good that got cancelled. It had the same Ocean Dub music as Dragonball Z. I remember that pretty vividly.

Nowadays in Canada Dragonball doesn't come on Canadian television anymore, at least from my knowledge. I haven't seen it in 7 or 8 years. In 2009 or 10 though it was coming back on YTV. It was advertised for weeks that Dragonball was coming back. I was excited. They advertised it as a special.

Then when the show finally came on and the awesome opening came on I was wondering what movie they were going to air. Then I saw a pod arriving on Earth and I was like "oh man, same old shit we've seen a hundred times". It was episode 1 of Z when Raditz came. It was a full hour and all they showed was episodes 1 and 2. Never saw DBZ back on that channel again. Lame.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:59 pm

French here and Dragon Ball is HUMONGOUS !

From kids to almost people in their 50's Dragon Ball is huge thanks to the Club Dorothée.

In France Dragon Ball began its run in 1988, dubbed in French I watched it with my older brother who already watched anime such as Grendizer or Captain Harlock, at this time there was a show who struck an whole generation during its run called Club Dorothée, this French show was phenomenal for its audiance, because between 1987 and 1997, the Club Dorothée was watched by an average of 55% of 4-14 year olds and achieved up to 60% of audience on the whole public with peaks at 86%. A record never equaled since. At its peak, the show will have up to 26 hours of air time per week and more than 40 during the school holidays, Dorothée being, moreover, the program director of the TF1 (First channel in France) Youth Unit.

Mind you that at this time there was only 6 main channel in France and that cable television where quasi nonexistant !

The show was enough popular to create controversy by how violent the show were in the political class, controversy that were shared with Fist of the North Star and Saint Seiya among another. :crazy:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:37 pm

God, I know this sounds weird but high ratings data are my passion. They make my heart race and go all warm.

Also, Paraguay really embraced Dragon Ball as well. Telefuturo went from new kid on the block channel to THE channel the Paraguayan people watched when they got Dragon Ball. And after 20 years off the air Telefuturo brought back DBZ and it once again smashed the ratings.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:55 pm

among the Casual non-anime fans who only watch one or two like Pokemon or DBZ/DBS, it's famous.

But among the normal Indian anime viewers or the otaku, it's really infamous and most think it's all about Nonsense, no logic, no story, only retarded fights for kids and boring one dimensional characters and liking it makes one a person with shit taste in Anime.

most haven't even read the manga, never watched The Sub maybe except Super. most only watched the Z Dub with Faulconer score and base DBZ on that version and ignorant to watch the real version. Goku is the worst protagonist to them and they feel Dub atleast made goku a better person because in Japanese version he is a brainless fighting whore who is selfish and also he is the worst father and dad and overall a terrible character who only looks for fights that's it. they think dbz only got famous because in its original run it had shitty anime and if it had came today no one would give a shit about it and it would get cancelled and Toriyama to them is terrible writer and worse kind of storytelling and instead of judging his work from Dr.Slump or Dragon Ball, they base it off Dragon Ball Super. so yea, among anime fans it's only a show about screaming and power up and no storyline.

http://funkyimg.com/view/2GvJK
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

AizenYTBR

Post by AizenYTBR » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:50 pm

Here in Brazil the series is ABSURDLY popular, it has been broadcast dozens of times in all possible places. The biggest television station in Brazil, "REDE GLOBO" had some problem with DBGT, as I remember that the last episode was never broadcast, it always stopped at the penultimate one and then the program would restart.

It's really hard to find a Brazilian aged between 18-30 years who has never watched dragon ball as a child. Very difficult indeed.