Madman's Dragon Ball Z: Kamehameha Movie Collection

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Madman's Dragon Ball Z: Kamehameha Movie Collection

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:11 am

So a few years ago, Madman released the Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiyan Movie Collection. The collection did not include Dead Zone, World's Strongest, Tree of Might, Lord Slug, Super Android 13 and Bojack Unbound. Now in this new upcoming collection, the movies that I just mentioned will be on this including (for some reason) the Best of Goku DVD.

The DVD collection will be selling for $39.95 AUD. It's releasing on the 6th of June.

Here is a link to the collection on Madman's official website.

It's really strange that they decided to release this now. If I had to guess as to why they're doing it, it might be some kind of promotion for the upcoming Dragon Ball Super movie? That's still a while away, though. Back when the Super Saiyan Movie Collection came out, there was a promo image on the back for Resurrection 'F', which was going to release in theatres a couple of months later.

In other upcoming DB related Madman releases news...
Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters is getting a complete collection on Blu-ray and DVD.
There is yet another Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray movie collection. Does not include Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'. The last complete collection was just the 2 movie collections but with a slip cover over both. This one is just one complete collection.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Re: Madman's Dragon Ball Z: Kamehameha Movie Collection

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:46 am

I just saw this yesterday. Was gonna post about it, but I wasn't sure if people cared enough. I guess you answered that for me!

I'm just glad we're getting a complete version of Kai TFC. The prices for the separate parts are kind of insane.

Weirdly, though, I noticed they've been saying even the Z Blu-Rays are being put on the 'last chance to buy' section. Would they really put DBZ out of print? Or signs of a new release?
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:In other upcoming DB related Madman releases news...
Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters is getting a complete collection on Blu-ray and DVD.
DAMMIT! I just bought the individual Parts for it!

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:13 am

KBABZ wrote:
That's why you've gotta check the 'Last Chance to Buy' section. I knew there was a reason for that sale...
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:44 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
That's why you've gotta check the 'Last Chance to Buy' section. I knew there was a reason for that sale...
Hopefully it has art that looks like the Season Sets for Kai 09. If not then I I guess I can bear not having it.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:54 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:I'm just glad we're getting a complete version of Kai TFC. The prices for the separate parts are kind of insane.
I wonder if they'll ever do an actual complete Dragon Ball Z Kai collection. That would be a really neat box set rather than separating Kai 2009 and Kai TFC.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:22 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
MozillaVulpix wrote:I'm just glad we're getting a complete version of Kai TFC. The prices for the separate parts are kind of insane.
I wonder if they'll ever do an actual complete Dragon Ball Z Kai collection. That would be a really neat box set rather than separating Kai 2009 and Kai TFC.
You'd think they would have done that ages ago considering it's easy to get all of the DBZ Blu-Rays in one box.

Now, there isn't one for Dragon Ball, but neither Funimation nor Toei like to admit that series exists...

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:38 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
If they do that, they should atleast add a recuttet Version of pre Z DB, even if it would be unremastered & lazely put together it would give us finally a complete "refreshment" of the Anime in one package, which could also be a good introduction to the ealier matterial for Kai only watchers.

Edit: Also the option to watch Kai & Kai the final Chapters with the original Kikuchi placment would be pretty neat. If Funi could do that, so can Toei.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:43 am

Dragon Sponge wrote:They should atleast add a recuttet Version of pre Z DB, even if it would be unremastered & lazely put together.
At this point I just want the original DB to get a Blue-Ray release by someone.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:00 pm

sintzu wrote:
Dragon Sponge wrote:They should atleast add a recuttet Version of pre Z DB, even if it would be unremastered & lazely put together.
At this point I just want the original DB to get a Blue-Ray release by someone.
That might be not bad either and a recut feature could also just be added into a Blueray release of (pre Z) DB, and then they should make a new Blueray release of the original Z stuff with Kai in there as an extra feature where you can switch between Original & Kai version on the disc, + without Funimations cropping, and then we should have pretty much a complete & (mostly) perfect English release of Dragon Ball. Merging Z & Kai together into one release might also actually be better than releasing them seperatly since then you don´t have to buy two releases to have either your favorite filler, or the better pacing etc. Then you would have the best of both worlds and that would be great!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Dragon Sponge wrote:That might be not bad either and a recut feature could also just be added into a Blueray release of (pre Z) DB, and then they should make a new Blueray release of the original Z stuff with Kai in there as an extra feature where you can switch between Original & Kai version on the disc, + without Funimations cropping, and then we should have pretty much a complete & (mostly) perfect English release of Dragon Ball. Merging Z & Kai together into one release might also actually be better than releasing them seperatly since then you don´t have to buy two releases to have either your favorite filler, or the better pacing etc. Then you would have the best of both worlds and that would be great!
The differences between the two are too great to include Kai as an extra you can switch to.

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:10 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Dragon Sponge wrote:That might be not bad either and a recut feature could also just be added into a Blueray release of (pre Z) DB, and then they should make a new Blueray release of the original Z stuff with Kai in there as an extra feature where you can switch between Original & Kai version on the disc, + without Funimations cropping, and then we should have pretty much a complete & (mostly) perfect English release of Dragon Ball. Merging Z & Kai together into one release might also actually be better than releasing them seperatly since then you don´t have to buy two releases to have either your favorite filler, or the better pacing etc. Then you would have the best of both worlds and that would be great!
The differences between the two are too great to include Kai as an extra you can switch to.
I think there could still be ways to make it possible to combine the two on one release Series, its mostly a matter of disc storage. 3 to 4 layer Bluerays can have up to 100/128 GB, i don't know how much storage the Funi Bluerays needed to contain 3 audiotracks plus the (cropped) picture material for 10 episodes on one Disc, but if 25 or 50 GB, BDs are enough for that, a disc with twice that amount of space should be enough to contain the Kai episodes. I know that non cropped picture with grain would eat more memory, but if that would be a problem you could just remove the english replacement score track to get more space. Also there woulden't be very much Kai episodes to begin with on the disc since they would match the Manga content of the Z episodes and therefore only contain 5 or less eps with my guessing. Discs that contain many filler episodes would have even less Kai eps and the Garlic jr Arc disc would probably have no Kai ep at all.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:18 am

Dragon Ball is the only series (except maybe Pokemon) where the same shit can be released over and over again in shiny new packaging because evidently people keep buying it. Exactly who I have no idea. Been off the forums for a while, is this also happening in the US?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:44 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Dragon Ball is the only series (except maybe Pokemon) where the same shit can be released over and over again in shiny new packaging because evidently people keep buying it. Exactly who I have no idea. Been off the forums for a while, is this also happening in the US?
The new blu rays seem to be selling really well. And the people buying them I assume are doing so because it says "1080p" on the back. Probably a lot of orange brick buyers double dipping because they have a blu ray player now. We haven't had any re-releases of blu rays that I can think of. Except for Kai's parts being combined to season sets for episodes 1-98 years ago.

But I agree. I won't be surprised the day Funi announces 4K DBZ and it sells again.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:47 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Been off the forums for a while, is this also happening in the US?
No, the last movie release we got here was the double features back in 2008-2009.

In terms of the amount of releases the franchise gets, the only part getting released over and over again is Z. DB, GT and the movies just got 2 releases while Kai and Super have one.
Forte224 wrote:I won't be surprised the day Funi announces 4K DBZ and it sells again.
It goes to show how much staying power Z has as no matter how many times it's released people will buy it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:45 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Dragon Ball is the only series (except maybe Pokemon) where the same shit can be released over and over again in shiny new packaging because evidently people keep buying it. Exactly who I have no idea. Been off the forums for a while, is this also happening in the US?
This collection is made by Madman, so it's being sold in Australia and New Zealand since they're the official distributors of Dragon Ball in those countries. It's literally just a few of the Funimation DBZ movie double pack DVDs being released in a box set. You're free to buy these separately, this is just a box set and is also cheaper than buying them individually.