Boobs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Puaru
Banned

Boobs

Post by Puaru » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Back in the original BD manga, as well as the anime adaptions, the female characters had very different chest sizes.

Some of them had quite large boobs like Bulma and ChiChi, while others like 18 and Videl were flatter.

But ever since BoG all these female characters have been drawn with the exact same body, namely the busty Bulma/ChiChi type. Seriously, you may not have noticed it, but it's true.

That's kinda stupid if you ask me, to make characters LESS distinct from each other, especially in a franchise that already has a well known problem of having a lot of characters that look very similar in terms of body type and facial features.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Boobs

Post by Doctor. » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Sizes may have gotten a bit less believable with some of the videogame characters like Towa and #21, but I at least appreciate that the series hasn't yet gone the way of many modern Shounen (and anime in general, really) of really humongous, unbelievably-sized tits for the sake of fanservice (in poor taste, most of the time) for the little 12-year olds in the audience.

Kale (and Kefla) would be exceptions to your observation, though.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:58 pm

Doctor. wrote: Kale (and Kefla) would be exceptions to your observation, though.
I guess, but nevertheless all of the old female character from the original manga days have all been re-drawn to have the exact same body. Like, what's the point? Did the animators just failed to realize that these characters were actually drawn differently? Has nobody in production noticed this?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Puaru wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Kale (and Kefla) would be exceptions to your observation, though.
I guess, but nevertheless all of the old female character from the original manga days have all been re-drawn to have the exact same body. Like, what's the point? Did the animators just failed to realize that these characters were actually drawn differently? Has nobody in production noticed this?
Well, I wouldn't say the characters varied too much in terms of breast size in the original series either. Toriyama mostly drew flat chests unless the characters were the centerpiece in some pervy gag scene. But regardless, like I said, modern Shounen have a tendency to inflate the breast size of their female characters and I'm sure that working on One Piece or other Toei shows most likely influenced the animators subconsciously.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:25 pm

Toriyama's new art style in general has gone downhill in a lot of ways compared to how it was during the original manga's publication. The best example is Videl's design in Z and Super, she doesn't even look like the same character anymore.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:49 pm

The female characters had kids so the boobs got bigger.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:48 pm

Draconic wrote:The female characters had kids so the boobs got bigger.
And Bulma's got saggy!

I'm too scared to comment on Chichi's.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:59 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:I'm too scared to comment on Chichi's.
Chi-Chi's Chi Chis have changed considerably.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 pm

Most women's boobs don't stay like that after the birth. Apparently, some even get smaller, but it varies from person to person.
It'd be pretty weird if three women independently went through this and all ended up at the same sizes, with most of them increasing, though. So, I don't think that explanation holds weight. Especially if Puaru is referring to Mai too.

Anyway, I think in general, the designs in Super have got very similar. I seem to recall hearing that the first Mastered Ultra Instinct sketch Toriyama drew was likely either a recoloured version of his Super Saiyan God drawing, or was traced over it, so I think even Toriyama is getting a bit lazy in this aspect... :lol:
In this specific case, it may just be the animators attempting to mimic(Or perhaps subconsciously ending up mimicking) modern shounen trends, similar to what Doctor has said.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:35 pm

Guess that means Ribrianne is best girl since she's the most distinct looking female character currently. Jokes aside, as some others have said the reason why they look so similar is due to Toriyama's new art style. Also speaking of characters looking similar to one another I'm hoping that the new villain/antagonist in the upcoming movie doesn't look like Goku. It's bad enough we already have three Goku look a likes and I hope a fourth one isn't added to that pile.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:17 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:Guess that means Ribrianne is best girl since she's the most distinct looking female character currently. Jokes aside, as some others have said the reason why they look so similar is due to Toriyama's new art style. Also speaking of characters looking similar to one another I'm hoping that the new villain/antagonist in the upcoming movie doesn't look like Goku. It's bad enough we already have three Goku look a likes and I hope a fourth one isn't added to that pile.
Nah, he'll be evil, future Goten.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:30 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:Guess that means Ribrianne is best girl since she's the most distinct looking female character currently. Jokes aside, as some others have said the reason why they look so similar is due to Toriyama's new art style. Also speaking of characters looking similar to one another I'm hoping that the new villain/antagonist in the upcoming movie doesn't look like Goku. It's bad enough we already have three Goku look a likes and I hope a fourth one isn't added to that pile.
Nah, he'll be evil, future Goten.
Even though Goten basically looks like Kid Goku I'd accept it as its better than a fourth Adult Goku clone. Who knows maybe this will happen, after all we got Blanco to become an actual thing via Ultra instinct, so anything is possible now.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:36 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
And Bulma's got saggy!

I'm too scared to comment on Chichi's.
Yeah, they're too perfect for words.

But they all pale in comparison to Maron's.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:38 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:Even though Goten basically looks like Kid Goku I'd accept it as its better than a fourth Adult Goku clone. Who knows maybe this will happen, after all we got Blanco to become an actual thing via Ultra instinct, so anything is possible now.
As much as I adore Kid Goku, I love Goten's long sleeves and his TFC dub voice. It's so adorable!

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:43 pm

sintzu wrote:Toriyama's new art style in general has gone downhill in a lot of ways compared to how it was during the original manga's publication. The best example is Videl's design in Z and Super, she doesn't even look like the same character anymore.
The character developed and thus its design changed to show that development, I don't see how your example examplify Toriyama's new style going downhill. Care to elaborate, beyond saying that Videl in Z look more badass and like a fighter.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:55 pm

KBABZ wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:Even though Goten basically looks like Kid Goku I'd accept it as its better than a fourth Adult Goku clone. Who knows maybe this will happen, after all we got Blanco to become an actual thing via Ultra instinct, so anything is possible now.
As much as I adore Kid Goku, I love Goten's long sleeves and his TFC dub voice. It's so adorable!
While I do prefer Kid Goku over Goten I will have to agree with you on that.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:26 am

Caulifla was definitely refreshing for this sake.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:36 am

Bulma has big boobs yes, but wasn't Chi-Chi stated to be flat-chested by Goku?

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:21 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Bulma has big boobs yes, but wasn't Chi-Chi stated to be flat-chested by Goku?
It doesn't matter what's being stated, what matters is what's being shown.

Sorta like when the narrator said that "Gohan has now acchieved a power that rivals Goku's". Yeah right.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:07 am

Puaru wrote:Back in the original BD manga, as well as the anime adaptions, the female characters had very different chest sizes.

Some of them had quite large boobs like Bulma and ChiChi, while others like 18 and Videl were flatter.

But ever since BoG all these female characters have been drawn with the exact same body, namely the busty Bulma/ChiChi type. Seriously, you may not have noticed it, but it's true.

That's kinda stupid if you ask me, to make characters LESS distinct from each other, especially in a franchise that already has a well known problem of having a lot of characters that look very similar in terms of body type and facial features.
18 and videl, flat?

not with that shading under the chest or that side angle.

They're no Rangiku Matsumoto, but they had good figures. What's happened lately has been more a change in character design in clothing. Videl always had baggier clothes, and 18s jacket and dark top made any sort of boob line or shading impossible to notice. Youd only see it when the denim was off and she turned sideways