A potential 4K release of DBZ...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: A potential 4K release of DBZ...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:18 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:57 am I can't wait to see how Funimation would mess that release up.

"If you thought Blu-ray was smooth, you haven't seen DBZeeee the way it was meant to be seen!!!"

After all, numerous research shows that DBZ is most desired when it looks like ass.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:27 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:57 am I can't wait to see how Funimation would mess that release up.

"If you thought Blu-ray was smooth, you haven't seen DBZeeee the way it was meant to be seen!!!"

After all, numerous research shows that DBZ is most desired when it looks like ass.
Good lord, that looks worse than even the worst looking Namek episodes on the Season 2 Orange Brick. I couldn't imagine this level of brightened to complete oblivion and back image actually looking like that but then again we can't be surprised by what FUNi does on releases anymore, right? :lol:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:32 am

But really, the only advantage that a 4K release would have is to give them yet another opportunityb to correct their issues (which they likely won't do) and maybe for more episodes per disc? I'll be honest: I am not really sure about how 4K works. I just know that taking DB and blowing it up would require artificial detail to be put in because it really wasn't meant for that kind of viewing experience.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:32 am But really, the only advantage that a 4K release would have is to give them yet another opportunityb to correct their issues (which they likely won't do) and maybe for more episodes per disc? I'll be honest: I am not really sure about how 4K works. I just know that taking DB and blowing it up would require artificial detail to be put in because it really wasn't meant for that kind of viewing experience.
Indeed, from what I understand in Funimation's case since they have third generation film prints they had to add fake grain to the level set remaster to make up for detail that wasn't there. Now TOEI don't even seem interested in releasing the series on Blu-Ray so we may never get a future release that has better source material to work from.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:37 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:32 am But really, the only advantage that a 4K release would have is to give them yet another opportunityb to correct their issues (which they likely won't do) and maybe for more episodes per disc? I'll be honest: I am not really sure about how 4K works. I just know that taking DB and blowing it up would require artificial detail to be put in because it really wasn't meant for that kind of viewing experience.
Indeed, from what I understand in Funimation's case since they have third generation film prints they had to add fake grain to the level set remaster to make up for detail that wasn't there. Now TOEI don't even seem interested in releasing the series on Blu-Ray so we may never get a future release that has better source material to work from.
They didn't add grain into the Level Sets! Don't even joke like that... lol

I honestly believe that Kai was Toei's Blu-ray outing for DBZ. They're sitting on a gold mine, but they're just not pulling the trigger. Although, I've heard Geekdom101 say that Toei had a Blu-ray release in the works. Is that going to happen? Unclear. Hope so. I feel like I've seen that their movie release on Amazon was better than on the Blu-rays that they put out. I got the Blu-rays, but it's a jeadscratching situation if that's true.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:45 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:57 am
Is this real or fan made ? :wtf: :shock:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:45 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:57 am
Is this real or fan made ? :wtf: :shock:
Lol I made that as a joke. Don't be alarmed... Matches Malone... Love the name and BTAS.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:52 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:40 pmLol I made that as a joke. Don't be alarmed... Matches Malone... Love the name and BTAS.
I think I aged a few years from that picture. :lol:

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:50 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

IT LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE TOOK BLEACH AND A DIGITAL GRAIN REMOVER AND THREW DBZ IN THERE!!!!

MY EYES ARE BLEEDING FROM THE UGLINESS!!
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:37 pm

You mean you don't like DBZ the way (I decided) it was meant to be seen? Well... market research shows that fans love it to look horrible and have vanishing lines. There's literally no other explanation for why the orange bricks sold so well!

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:04 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:37 pm You mean you don't like DBZ the way (I decided) it was meant to be seen? Well... market research shows that fans love it to look horrible and have vanishing lines. There's literally no other explanation for why the orange bricks sold so well!
Actually, the Orange Bricks sold well because before that, you had to keep track of over 85 different releases with 3 episodes per box that cost $39.99. If you wanted to own the entire series, you would need to shell out thousands of dollars. With the Orange Bricks, they were easier to find, had more footage, and they were overall cheaper.

I dont know why the fuck you're smoking Mild Seven (Japanese cigarettes) but you gotta stop, it's fucking up your mind

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:15 pm

Fake picture. Funi plans on making a future release of DBZ that's cropped to 21:9 so it fits on ultrawide displays. It's the next evolution in DEE BEE ZEE
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:11 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:04 pm
Actually, the Orange Bricks sold well because before that, you had to keep track of over 85 different releases with 3 episodes per box that cost $39.99. If you wanted to own the entire series, you would need to shell out thousands of dollars. With the Orange Bricks, they were easier to find, had more footage, and they were overall cheaper.

I dont know why the fuck you're smoking Mild Seven (Japanese cigarettes) but you gotta stop, it's fucking up your mind
I swear that I thought my obvious sarcasm was obvious.

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:15 pm
Fake picture. Funi plans on making a future release of DBZ that's cropped to 21:9 so it fits on ultrawide displays. It's the next evolution in DEE BEE ZEE
That was just a sampling! Funimation will unleash the power of the Dragon Balls all over your 4K TV! You're welcome!

It'll be over nine thousaaaaaaannnnddddddddd!!!!

Notice the natural colors.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:17 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:11 am That was just a sampling! Funimation will unleash the power of the Dragon Balls all over your 4K TV! You're welcome!

It'll be over nine thousaaaaaaannnnddddddddd!!!!

Notice the natural colors.
"Vegeta, what does the DVD case say about its resolution?"

"IT'S OVER 9000p!!!"

"WHAT, 9000p?! That's impossible, it's got to be a typo or something!"

FUNI: "I am sure it's correct. Perhaps I can adjust its aspect ratio to ultra widescreen, next."

"Ultra Widescreen?"
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:51 pm

You know they could just take the Dragon Boxes' footage and digitally upscale *that*...but no. FUNimation just has to screw us over once again.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:15 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:51 pm You know they could just take the Dragon Boxes' footage and digitally upscale *that*...but no. FUNimation just has to screw us over once again.
Hopefully not. Do we know what format FUNi received their Dragon Box footage in?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:31 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:15 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:51 pm You know they could just take the Dragon Boxes' footage and digitally upscale *that*...but no. FUNimation just has to screw us over once again.
Hopefully not. Do we know what format FUNi received their Dragon Box footage in?
I assume it's the Dragon Box footage from Toei, which features:

1. 4:3 aspect ratio.
2. Dolby Digital 5.1 audio for English dub and monaural audio for Japanese.
3. Acceptable/moderate bitrate.
4. Completely stabilized frame.
5. Complete restoration from the original 16mm footage, fully wiped of all dirt and scratches.
6. No color correction for once! :D

Overall, you'd assume Funimation got this for the US Dragon Boxes

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:11 am

Honestly that wouldn't be great either because from the looks of things the Dragon Box wasn't mastered in HD anyway, so there's nothing to upscale. At least with the Orange Bricks and Season Blu-Rays, they were still using the film reels in their archives as a base. Applying all that to Dragon Box footage would be even worse.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:43 am

Toei needs to hurry the hell up and make their own.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:10 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:43 am Toei needs to hurry the hell up and make their own.
TOEI aren't going to do it. They didn't even do a HD remaster for the 30th anniversary last year. Kai was their attempt but they gave up because it didn't do the business they hoped it would in Japan.

Best case scenario at this rate is Funimation release an UHD Blu-Ray set with a slightly better than the 30th anniversary HD upscale in a few years from now, that's provided they don't go back to 16:9 AGAIN. Not ideal, but that's what it's come to with this franchise.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: