A16 should be in ToP instead of Tenshinhan

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A16 should be in ToP instead of Tenshinhan

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:26 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:In the anime, at least, Number 8 has an organic base. General White talks about how "he was brought back to life." He's not the same as 16.
I think in general that can be inferred from his Frankenstein design, who was organic in origin.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:30 am

KBABZ wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:In the anime, at least, Number 8 has an organic base. General White talks about how "he was brought back to life." He's not the same as 16.
I think in general that can be inferred from his Frankenstein design, who was organic in origin.
Well yeah, but I like to have actual dialogue backing me up.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:38 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
If it's not stated either way the fact that he was brought back and 16 wasn't kinda does prove it. That's the point.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:48 am

Jaco should've replaced Tenshinhan. He's a lot of fun to watch on screen and we haven't seen him in any actual action since the Resurrection 'F' movie.

blain218
Banned Alternate Account

Post by blain218 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:20 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Jaco should've replaced Tenshinhan. He's a lot of fun to watch on screen and we haven't seen him in any actual action since the Resurrection 'F' movie.
But isn't Jaco only as strong as a Freeza soldier from the Namek saga? He would get one-shotted by anyone in the ToP.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:29 am

TobyS wrote:If it's not stated either way the fact that he was brought back and 16 wasn't kinda does prove it. That's the point.
16 never had a chance to. The wish was specifically for everyone killed by Buu, which would exclude 16 since he died seven years before that point.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:34 am

KBABZ wrote:
TobyS wrote:If it's not stated either way the fact that he was brought back and 16 wasn't kinda does prove it. That's the point.
16 never had a chance to. The wish was specifically for everyone killed by Buu, which would exclude 16 since he died seven years before that point.
16 wasn't brought back by the wish to revive everyone killed by Cell, either.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:57 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
I mean, 17 was surprised that 16 was 100% mechanic, and wondered why Gero would go back to modifying humans if he had the capability to make fully functional androids from scratch. That at least would imply that most of his pre-16 creations would have also been cyborgs. Not exactly hard-line, undeniable evidence, but it certainly does point towards #8 being partially human.

Pirina_Fusee

Post by Pirina_Fusee » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:06 pm

Daiz. 7 says 8 is a cyborg, as well.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:51 pm

What Tien need is a legit focus episode on him and not having him appear in the last minute. Also make his fight good and have him interact with other characters.

Pirina_Fusee

Post by Pirina_Fusee » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:06 pm

Actually, we simply don't know if 16 was revived. Either way he has no reason to encounter the main characters again - if he was revived he's almost certainly just frolicking with the animals now.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:05 am

Did a little digging and it turns out that Daizenshuu 4 and 7 say #8 is human-based, like #17 and #18. It's not a plothole. My mistake.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:49 am

I would have replaced Tenshinhan or Roshi with Future Trunks instead. Imagine him teaming up with 17, 18 and Gohan. It would have been epic.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:05 pm

How is arale existing now make 16's death a plothole?

Honestly I wouldn't have given 17 so much relevance in the TOP to begin with. All the characters should have had a body count equally. Especially Tenshinhan which I do think the series seems to screw over with Piccolo for whatever reason incredibly. How 17 of all people did better than everyone else was pretty absurd. I also would have preferred switching Roshi out for Pikkon. It just seemed too perfect of an opportunity to showcase him again.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

blain218
Banned Alternate Account

Post by blain218 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:22 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:How is arale existing now make 16's death a plothole?

Honestly I wouldn't have given 17 so much relevance in the TOP to begin with. All the characters should have had a body count equally. Especially Tenshinhan which I do think the series seems to screw over with Piccolo for whatever reason incredibly. How 17 of all people did better than everyone else was pretty absurd. I also would have preferred switching Roshi out for Pikkon. It just seemed too perfect of an opportunity to showcase him again.
Pikkon isn't canon. If you are gonna pick non-canon characters you might as well pick Broly. Also, there is no way all characters could reasonably have an equal body count if they are not equal in power. And Arale is a gag character, I wouldn't take any that happens with her seriously.

Pirina_Fusee

Post by Pirina_Fusee » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:27 pm

blain218 wrote:

Pikkon isn't canon. If you are gonna pick non-canon characters you might as well pick Broly. Also, there is no way all characters could reasonably have an equal body count if they are not equal in power. And Arale is a gag character, I wouldn't take any that happens with her seriously.
I mean, he might be for all we know - the manga itself never says anything about what Goku was doing in the afterlife during the timeskip.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:00 pm

I mean, he might be for all we know - the manga itself never says anything about what Goku was doing in the afterlife during the timeskip.
He does say something about how he wasn't able to try out the Fusion Dance because there wasn't anyone he could fuse with. I can't remember the exact line but usually people seem to interpret this as meaning nobody in the afterlife was strong enough to fuse with him.

Of course, Paikuhan was way stronger than Goku's base form and physically very different, and the fusion dance requires equal powers (even a difference as small as Goten and Trunks' made Trunks have to tone his power down slightly to match Goten's) and works better when both fusees are physically similar. So it's entirely possible that somebody like Paikuhan could exist but Goku couldn't fuse with him thanks to the combination of those two reasons.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:02 pm

16 has moved on and is at peace, like Grandpa Gohan. They don't have a need to be brought back.

Tien has done well for himself, I feel.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:09 pm

They are both androids, 16 wasnt wished back after Cell, but Arale was after Kid Buu blew Earth.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:26 pm

coola wrote:
They are both androids, 16 wasnt wished back after Cell, but Arale was after Kid Buu blew Earth.
Who says Arale died when Kid Buu blew up the Earth though? I mean, splitting the Earth in two is clearly child's play for her. It going "BOOM!" probably wouldn't do much to her physically.