Reason for Freeza's design in "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Reason for Freeza's design in "Resurrection 'F'"

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:38 am

According to toriyama,he couldn't make it simpler so he changed it to gold because it seemed the strongest.
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/9863 ... 15168?s=20
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Logania
Regular

Re: Reason for freeza's design in ROF

Post by Logania » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:54 am

I like how his goal is to make the designs as plain as humanly possible.

If all else fails, bring out the crayola markers!
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:00 am

It's still a pretty hideous color scheme, and man that drawing of Freeza... yuck, I hate modern Dragon Ball design, both TOEI and Toriyama.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 am

Really wish they'd would've dropped the purple/blue skin at least.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:25 am

Logania wrote:I like how his goal is to make the designs as plain as humanly possible.

Guess we know where all of Toriyama's designs are headed if Dragonball comes back. Expect them to be simpler and less original. Goku's new form makes him bald so Toriyama doesn't have to draw his hair anymore.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:42 am

Timetraveller wrote:
Logania wrote:I like how his goal is to make the designs as plain as humanly possible.

Guess we know where all of Toriyama's designs are headed if Dragonball comes back. Expect them to be simpler and less original. Goku's new form makes him bald so Toriyama doesn't have to draw his hair anymore.
Goku Calvo confirmed.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:06 am

Hawk9211 wrote:According to toriyama,he couldn't make it simpler so he changed it to gold because it seemed the strongest.
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/9863 ... 15168?s=20
Sorry but why creating a thread for this? This is old news, it had been documented in the Movie 15 page here in the very website.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:13 am

I love how Toriyama wants to keep things simple, as I'm a fan of simple designs myself. I just hope that eventually he will stop coming up with simple re-colors and focus on coming up with new power-ups/techniques in the same vein of Kaioken, Genkidama and Ultra Instinct. Basically I would like to see him going back to his approach before Super Saiyan became a thing, when he was always coming up with new techniques for his characters.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:21 am

I didn't like the design at first due to it being something of a simple colour palette swap.

Now I think it was the best thing to do. If they were going to have a Frieza movie then they couldn't really give him a new form that would make him look completely different from the Frieza everyone is familiar with.

So they kept looking like the iconic Frieza but just changed the colour and he does immediately look more powerful. Would I have gone with Gold....dunno but I'm happy enough with it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 am

Grimlock wrote:Sorry but why creating a thread for this? This is old news, it had been documented in the Movie 15 page here in the very website.
Indeed. The only relevance this has to "today" is that Golden Freeza's design was the April 18th entry in the Dragon Ball Official Site's "The Nearly Complete Works of Akira Toriyama". Jake tweeting it out wasn't because it was new, but because that just happened to be today's entry.

The quote comes from Volume "F", which was given out to theatrical attendees in Japan back in April 2015, and has indeed been cited on the respective "Movie Guide" page along with plenty of other information for quite some time:

"Since there was no way I could possibly make his design any simpler than it already was, I opted to mostly just change his color. This color feels strongest, maybe because I associate it with Gold Medals?"
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Reason for Freeza's design in "Resurrection 'F'"

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:31 pm

I agree that the design is ugly and hideous, but much like Semi-Perfect Cell, I think it's intentional. Golden Frieza is a form that he, at the time, had no mastery over, and was basically copying Super Saiyan. It looks like a cheap knock-off because in the story that's exactly what it is.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:10 pm

I don't think Freeza can control how his forms appear.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:55 pm

ABED wrote:I don't think Freeza can control how his forms appear.
Frieza's wording, at least in the English dub, implied that he had some manner of control over what the appearance would be:

"I know gold's a bit gauche, but I wanted to ensure you grasp my new position atop the pecking order."

Okara

Post by Okara » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:11 am

So basically, it’s because Akira Toriyama is lazy. What a shocker. In other news, the sky is blue.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:31 am

Grimlock wrote:Sorry but why creating a thread for this? This is old news, it had been documented in the Movie 15 page here in the very website.
Yeah, but not everyone reads all of these pages and watches every single bit of news, I know I personally didn't know about this. Seems like a fine enough reason to have a thread to me.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:31 am

Asura wrote:Yeah, but not everyone reads all of these pages and watches every single bit of news, I know I personally didn't know about this. Seems like a fine enough reason to have a thread to me.
Anyone is of course free to create threads and discuss any valid information/point/opinion. The only thing I'm trying to get across is that, in light of the indirect inference (by way of lack of context in the opening post) that this is somehow "new", that it's not actually a new revelation. Elsewhere people would just say "OLD!" and move on, so... ya' know... being Kanzenshuu, we're trying to provide that necessary context to frame things for a more worthwhile conversation.
Okara wrote:So basically, it’s because Akira Toriyama is lazy. What a shocker. In other news, the sky is blue.
This is not a particularly worthwhile contribution.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:54 am

Bullza wrote:I didn't like the design at first due to it being something of a simple colour palette swap.

Now I think it was the best thing to do. If they were going to have a Frieza movie then they couldn't really give him a new form that would make him look completely different from the Frieza everyone is familiar with.

So they kept looking like the iconic Frieza but just changed the colour and he does immediately look more powerful. Would I have gone with Gold....dunno but I'm happy enough with it.
Yeah he needs to look different and stronger than he was before, but still have that iconic "Freeza" look that he has always had. If he became big and bulky instead of Golden then it would go against AT's general designs he likes to have so it makes sense. (He likes making characters that are not physically intimidating being really strong)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:57 am

Asura wrote:It's still a pretty hideous color scheme, and man that drawing of Freeza... yuck, I hate modern Dragon Ball design, both TOEI and Toriyama.
Toriyama's drawing looks awful and Golden Freeza looked awful all throughout RoF, but they made the right choice by having him almost always have his aura on in the ToP (when he looks the best); and even in the scenes where the aura is off, he still looks decent due to the recent golden highlights.
PFM18 wrote:
Bullza wrote:I didn't like the design at first due to it being something of a simple colour palette swap.

Yeah he needs to look different and stronger than he was before, but still have that iconic "Freeza" look that he has always had. If he became big and bulky instead of Golden then it would go against AT's general designs he likes to have so it makes sense. (He likes making characters that are not physically intimidating being really strong)
Big and bulky was literally Freeza's 100% power.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Regardless of what anyone says, Golden Freeza will always remain a visually unappealing design, in my opinion. Dark purple and gold don’t go well together at all. If they were going to give Freeza a golden transformation, they should’ve ditched the purple.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:35 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Regardless of what anyone says, Golden Freeza will always remain a visually unappealing design, in my opinion. Dark purple and gold don’t go well together at all. If they were going to give Freeza a golden transformation, they should’ve ditched the purple.
I don't agree. I like purple and gold together. Both are regal, which is fitting for Freeza.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.