Favourite Character introduced in the Original Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Favourite Character introduced in the Original Dragon Ball

Post by AnzuMazaki » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:44 am

Just thought I could start a thread like this.
So who is your favourite character introduced in the first Dragon Ball anime/First third of the manga?

Mine is Yamcha, he is very underrated as a character.
Who are yours?
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

sintzu
Banned

Re: Favourite Character introduced in the Original Dragon Ball

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:01 am

Goku by far.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:02 am

I kinda think that Goku should be a special exception because of how ubiquitous he is!

Assuming the above rule is in effect, I'd like to pick Suno. She's milked the hell and back for filler, but I always liked the cute attraction and interest she had towards Goku.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:22 am

I always liked Lunch's introduction.

And of course, Piccolo. Though it's not the first time he appears, I consider that wordless stare down between him and Goku at the 23rd TB to be really cool, particularly in the anime.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:39 am

The first one that comes to mind is Tenshinhan, but my number one choice may actually be Muten Rôshi. I don't care for his perverted side, but his training of Goku and Kuririn is so much fun, and he really, really shines in the 22nd Budôkai and Piccolo arcs, when the "wise old master" part of him truly comes to the forefront.
I also love Goku in the Red Ribbon arc - adorably clueless about a world he is utterly invulnerable to.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:05 am

I'm gonna apply KBABZ's rule because I'd probably say Goku if I didn't.

There are so many characters that I love to death so it's really hard to pin down one specific character I would go with. Ultimately, it probaby boils down to what day you ask me on, so today I'm saying Lunch. She's a fantastic character who i hated to see go. I loved her switching personalities and the comedic moments that came with it and the development from her blonde version being "I'm gonna kill everything in sight" to someone who ended up crushing on Tenshinhan (another candidate for who I was going to choose). Also she's pretty and cute. Really hoping we can see her in the near future.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:18 am

Piccolo - Honestly, Piccolo is my favourite character in the franchise. As Piccolo Daimao, he's my favourite villain, and as Piccolo Junior, he's my favourite protagonist, so he's a 2-in-1 of everything I love about the franchise. And man... People say Vegeta's character progression is good; Piccolo starts out quite literally as a demon who conquered the world many years ago, who comes back and kills everyone, and then effectively becomes a brother/second father to Gohan, over the course of a completely understandable, and perfectly-executed character arc. Not only is his arc amazing, but his actual character itself is deep and interesting too. He's a demon capable and willing to conquer the world, except he's also the son of a demon who wanted to conquer the world, who really is just out for revenge on the guy who killed his father, except he's also now the surrogate father/brother to that guy's kid, who he's growing fond of, so maybe Goku isn't so bad after all... And he eventually begins to attain inner peace and balance with himself, which culminates in his fusion with God, leading to his ultimately rather sagely turn he takes on from the Cell arc onwards. But if you hurt Gohan, he's gonna go full demon on your ass. Piccolo is amazing.

Honourable mentions go to:
Yamcha - Underrated as hell. He was a lot of fun in the original series. Badass bandit who's actually a kind of insecure nerd, who ultimately grows to just want to do right by his friends, and dies for this... Yeah, cool guy. :)
Kuririn - Also underrated as hell, and a ton of fun. They start off as rivals, but he's Goku's best friend, who also becomes fast friends with Gohan, and ultimately like Yamcha, he proves a couple of times that he'll die for his friends.
Tenshinhan - Such a great antagonist, arguably even better as a protagonist; he was a key element in the 22nd Budokai and Piccolo arcs, and he was goddamn awesome in both. His character progression is really interesting and fun to follow. He's got the Piccolos about him; he's one of the good guys, but he has a dark past, and he's not afraid of tapping into that.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:13 pm

Piccolo of course.

There is nothing wrong with characters from the original Dragon Ball and I don't think there is a character I dislike.

It is in Z and Super where I have problems with new characters.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Piccolo by far, although I'm kinda counting both Daimou and Jr.

Goku is kinda cheating, so...
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:22 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:There is nothing wrong with characters from the original Dragon Ball and I don't think there is a character I dislike.

It is in Z and Super where I have problems with new characters.
:thumbup:

I can see where you're coming from about Z, even though I'm sure many will call you out on that; I think Z's new characters generally weren't bad, but there are several instances(Goten) where they ended up not having much depth or real characterisation to them, so they ended up feeling like they were simply distracting from the characters we already like, especially with how much the likes of Kuririn, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, and even Piccolo were sidelined throughout the run.
Logania wrote:Piccolo by far, although I'm kinda counting both Daimou and Jr.
I don't think anyone will criticise you for that. Junior was the reincarnated form of Daimao, so I think it's entirely fair to consider them one.
If you want to get technical about whether they're different characters or not, you could argue Piccolo was a different character after fusing with God.
Logania wrote:Goku is kinda cheating, so...
Nah. He was introduced in Dragon Ball, so I think you're allowed. "Favourite character" threads aren't exactly the place to get technical about what's allowed, just pick who you want. :)

Pirina_Fusee

Post by Pirina_Fusee » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Krillin and Piccolo.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Logania wrote:Goku is kinda cheating, so...
Nah. He was introduced in Dragon Ball, so I think you're allowed. "Favourite character" threads aren't exactly the place to get technical about what's allowed, just pick who you want. :)
I think KID Goku could be an option. He has an adorable factor over the adult Goku.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:43 am

Probably Tien Shinhan. His development is a lot of fun to watch, from the first time you see him and Chaozu as villains, to eventually cheering him on as he tries to master the Evil Containment Wave to avenge the deaths of his friends.

Piccolo eventually becomes my favorite character in “Z” though!
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:46 am

Mai and Shuu

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 am

I'm also like many going to have to say Lunch because her switching personalities at the most inopportune times was hilarious. I wish she didn't disappear in Z because she's absolutely hilarious and she could have kept Roshi company during the times he would kick back at the Kame House later in the series. She truly was something different, and I also wish we could have seen more of her with Tenshinhan as well.
Goku: Are you a Yoshi?
Piccolo: Yes, Goku, I'm a green ****ing dinosaur.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:34 am

KBABZ wrote:I think KID Goku could be an option. He has an adorable factor over the adult Goku.
Fair, but if someone wants to say adult Goku, that's not a problem, because grown-up Goku was introduced in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai.
Banana wrote:I'm also like many going to have to say Lunch because her switching personalities at the most inopportune times was hilarious. I wish she didn't disappear in Z because she's absolutely hilarious and she could have kept Roshi company during the times he would kick back at the Kame House later in the series. She truly was something different, and I also wish we could have seen more of her with Tenshinhan as well.
Yeah, I always thought we should've had more Lunch in the Z era. She was a fun character.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:11 am

anime General Blue :shifty:
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 am

Mine is Piccolo!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:57 am

Piccolo Jr.. who continues to be one of my all-time favorite characters in anything really (not that I consume much media to begin with :shh: ).

That's if I'm disqualifying Goku for obvious reasons. Goku and Piccolo's fight remains an all-time classic. I also really enjoy the Goku/Piccolo relationship dynamic as the series progressed - I like how Piccolo will question Goku at times for why he does the things he does, and also how Goku will confide so much in Piccolo.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:01 pm

I can’t pick