Dub lines that you find interesting.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by matt0044 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:26 am

Not so much awesome or awful but interesting. I remember watching a few dub clips of Trunk's debut where he looks at his GPS watch and the dialogue has him claim that it still works with the original satelite and thanks his Grandpa, Dr. Brief not mentioned by name. I dunno why but I found that an interesting touch and foreshadowing to the character's true nature.

Anybody else out there? It can be from Kai or anything else, just be respectful.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:31 am

I've never understood how Goku's response of "It's the Kame-sen'nin style of martial arts" made it into the dub in 1996 (to the ogre after meeting with Enma).

I'm still flabbergasted and fascinated 22 years later.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:47 am

Well, yes, there is a Dub line that I found interesting. It was from ep. 59 of Super, actually. After Beerus erased Zamasu, Gowasu stated 'Not to be...', which is weird, because in the Japanese version he said 'Zamasu...'. I tried to comprehend why the Dub decided to make that change from the Japanese to the English version.

My understanding is that the name 'Zamasu' comes from a Japanese verb that means 'To be', and so it would make sense why Gowasu would said 'Not to be' after Zamasu was literally erased from existence. It was an interesting line that I found odd.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:57 am

I'm not really a fan of the FUNimation dubs of Dragon Ball. I've only ever watched a few clips of it online. That said, one FUNi dub line that I find interesting is Boo's "Super Saiya-jin?" line when Goku is showing him his SS1, SS2 and SS3 transformations. I wonder why FUNimation did that. I'd image that fans of the Japanese version (back in the early 2000's) didn't care for/didn't watched the the FUNi dub. So why include this Saiya-jin line?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:48 am

Vegeta's line from the Saban dub "We ran into some radical weaponry on Rygol 7 and things were looking grim until your father did this!"(Makes fake moon) "Your father was an average fighter Kakarot, but he was a brilliant scientist!".

I find this interesting firstly because it implies Vegeta and Bardock fought side by side at some point(even though Vegeta would have to have been a kid at the time), and also because he's actually giving credit to someone who he would see as a low class warrior. On top of that I searched up Rygol 7 and it turns out it's a reference to a planet from Star Trek and also the home of Kang and Kodos from The Simpsons. Somehow imagining Vegeta and Bardock taking on the Kang and Kodos race just seems awesome and funny at the same time.

And there was also a line about the Ginyu Force having a bowling team which would make for a great sitcom episode.

And there was Baba's line in DB which was changed from "Goku will save the world one day" to "He'll be a great hero of his time". At the time of the Baba arc there was probably uncertainty about how long the story would continue so it's understandable that she would only reference him beating Piccolo, but the dub had the benefit of coming out much later so they knew the full extent of Goku's achievements.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:18 am

I always found Goku's dialogue describing SSB in the dub for the original Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection of F movie to be fascinating and honestly much more fitting than other explanations.

Basically, Goku says that he experienced something called Super Saiyan God, and could now tap into it on his own, thus painting SSB as a means by which SSG's power is accessed and expanded through Super Saiyan, rather than SSB being the SS form of a Saiyan who has the power of SSG.

I myself have stuck with this basic idea throughout the new era of the franchise, that SSB is tapping into SSG's power via the SS form.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 am

Pretty much any time Japanese slips through into the script for no discernible reason. The two lines mentioned by VegettoEX and Bajosexto and the Ocean dub line where Popo says something to the effect of "Kami! Kami! Kami-sama!" when Kami dies. it's just really strange to me. I can think of a few reasons they might have kept this, but nothing that really has anything to back it up.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:44 am

I've always liked the more creative ways of writing around the crude humour in the early arcs. For example, Bulma giving Pilaf the finger and saying "My magic finger says it's in the ceiling!" I always found hilarious. I also thought that Oolong's "The world's most comfortable pair of ultra-soft underweaaaaar!!" line is friggin' hilarious and creative.

In terms of interesting, one that always baffled me was when Daimao says to Goku that "He's travelled all over the galaxy, and [he]'s never met anyone as strong as [Goku]!", because when Funi dubbed that, Piccolo had long since been revealed to be an alien AFTER that point. Same goes for Goku "realizing" that Shen/Kami is an ALIEN for whatever reason. Just baffling.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 am

One_Instance wrote:Pretty much any time Japanese slips through into the script for no discernible reason. The two lines mentioned by VegettoEX and Bajosexto and the Ocean dub line where Popo says something to the effect of "Kami! Kami! Kami-sama!" when Kami dies. it's just really strange to me. I can think of a few reasons they might have kept this, but nothing that really has anything to back it up.
It's even weirder, Mr. Popo shouts "Kami-san!"
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:42 am

There's this one dub line where after Freeza sees Nail regrow an arm he says, "I'm going to have to make a copy of that." That always baffled me. When has Freeza gone around copying abilities?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:44 am

The most baffling line is actually the absence of one. In the season 3 dub, here's the exchange between Gohan and Kuririn
Kuririn: Maybe a mountain lion drug her into a cave.
Gohan: I wouldn't want to be the mountain lion.

In the edited version, Kuririn's line is missing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:38 pm

In Kai Japanese, when Yajirobe asks Roshi why Goku is so excited to go to Namek and fight these terrifyingly strong guys, Roshi responds:
"Of course he wants to save everyone, but it looks like he gets greater joy from fighting strong people above all else."

In the dub it's:
"I mean helping his friends has always been his first concern, but he's always also seemed to get a thrill out of the challenge of facing a powerful opponent."

It just seemed like an odd change to the script considering how accurate Kai 1.0 was trying to be. Didn't ruin it for me, but I did find it interesting.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:29 pm

Its because Akira Toriyama hadnt hammered out that Goku is Selfish. The anime had plenty of heroic moments and Funimation went with that interpretation.

Do dubs other than english count?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Its because Akira Toriyama hadnt hammered out that Goku is Selfish. The anime had plenty of heroic moments and Funimation went with that interpretation.
I guess I just more meant that they were pretty accurate in translating the lines, including the ones that made Goku seem less heroic. So this one specifically seemed weird to slip through.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I've never understood how Goku's response of "It's the Kame-sen'nin style of martial arts" made it into the dub in 1996 (to the ogre after meeting with Enma).

I assumed Funimatation allowed that line in because they figured it sounded cool like saying Tae-Kwan Do or Jiu-Jitsu but also made it sound uniquely Dragon Ball Z. Plus a direct translation Turtle Hermit might have sounded lame.

Was that line kept in the 05 in-house redub?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I've never understood how Goku's response of "It's the Kame-sen'nin style of martial arts" made it into the dub in 1996 (to the ogre after meeting with Enma).

I assumed Funimatation allowed that line in because they figured it sounded cool like saying Tae-Kwan Do or Jiu-Jitsu but also made it sound uniquely Dragon Ball Z. Plus a direct translation Turtle Hermit might have sounded lame.

Was that line kept in the 05 in-house redub?
Pretty sure yeah.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Do dubs other than english count?
I'd certainly be interested in hearing about them, as long as you explain it in English :)

I always found it odd that they would so often say you needed to "let go of your anger" to become Super Saiyan, even though they were clearly transforming out of anger. Seems like a wasted effort to try and make the Saiyans more heroic.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:44 am

Speedy Dub M5: Fight 10 Billion Power Warriors

Metal Cooler/Kuralla: I was thinkin dat afta I bit this monkey dat I was goin to the urrth (Earth), but it cost me a trouble

Piccolo/Strange Head/Uncle Motong/whatever crap: We are the ONE who are cost the trouble!!!

These lines despite their ridiculous grammer, vocab & pronounciations, actually managed to convince me of a whole new "what-if" scenario

Okay, so what we know is Cooler used Big Gete Star & invaded New Namek & would eventually do the same to Earth

What I managed to grasp from Kuralla & Uncle Motong's conversation is Kuralla/Cooler attempted invading Earth FIRST before New Namek using Big Gete Star after beating Goku. But some unfavourable events took place according to Piccolo (like shooting random Kamehameha or Makankosappo into outer space as part of their training) altering Earth's orbit/atmosphere which prompted Cooler/Kuralla to shift his target to Planet New Namek. WOW!!!

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:53 am

Forte224 wrote:In Kai Japanese, when Yajirobe asks Roshi why Goku is so excited to go to Namek and fight these terrifyingly strong guys, Roshi responds:
"Of course he wants to save everyone, but it looks like he gets greater joy from fighting strong people above all else."

In the dub it's:
"I mean helping his friends has always been his first concern, but he's always also seemed to get a thrill out of the challenge of facing a powerful opponent."

It just seemed like an odd change to the script considering how accurate Kai 1.0 was trying to be. Didn't ruin it for me, but I did find it interesting.
It's not so much a "change" as the original does say that he "wants to save everybody" but it does claim that it's his first concern which isn't exactly in accurate.

Kai also rewrote the conversation between Kami and Mr. Popo after Gohan's left in the woods. Both were of Piccolo's change in character but the original spoke of how those killed by demons cannot pass over and Raditz did make it to King Enma. The dub talked of how Piccolo might've killed Raditz to get Goku out of the way but also how Goku made the sacrifice of his own choice.

This was something FUNi kinda locked themselves into because King Piccolo was never titled "Demon" in the original Dragon Ball dub, Tenshinhan still being called Tien. To their credit, it is something that actually work for the story.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:22 am

matt0044 wrote:Kai...rewrote the conversation between Kami and Mr. Popo after Gohan's left in the woods. Both were of Piccolo's change in character but the original spoke of how those killed by demons cannot pass over and Raditz did make it to King Enma. The dub talked of how Piccolo might've killed Raditz to get Goku out of the way but also how Goku made the sacrifice of his own choice.
Actually, most of that rewrite first occurred in the Ultimate Uncut dub. Funi Kai may have tweaked some things in that scene, but much of it was based off the UUC Z script.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.