Dub lines that you find interesting.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by matt0044 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:25 am

WittyUsername wrote:I certainly don’t like the line myself, but a recent line from Hit in the dub of Super has been making the rounds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UjBrutrbLHQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KrNSochPNO8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3_xWu7b-X94

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/07/15/d ... uts-anime/

At the very least, it’s certainly interesting that they decided to go with that line...
That's what all the fuss is about? Honestly, I've seen worse. :/

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:39 am

Forte224 wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Forte224 wrote: I guess I just more meant that they were pretty accurate in translating the lines, including the ones that made Goku seem less heroic. So this one specifically seemed weird to slip through.
Sounds like a nitpick to me, the lines are almost identical. When his friends die, he has always put avenging them above wanting a fun, strong fight. Hammering it in that Goku prioritizes his own amusement over wanting to support his friends is inconsistent to how Goku was pre-Super. It's why that trait Toriyama says, without example will always be taken too literal and mentally retcon people's beliefs.
It's a clear, purposeful change of dialogue that fits with FUNi's previous track record. I'm not saying it ruined the dub, but it was clearly a change that they made in an otherwise very, very faithful dub that wasn't afraid to make Goku sound exactly like Goku would sound.
Are Goku's friends not among his first concerns? Even with the excitement of beating down another big bad, he's never be careless about those close to him. Wouldn't have gone Super Saiyan if he did care about Krillin. :/

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:54 am

matt0044 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: Sounds like a nitpick to me, the lines are almost identical. When his friends die, he has always put avenging them above wanting a fun, strong fight. Hammering it in that Goku prioritizes his own amusement over wanting to support his friends is inconsistent to how Goku was pre-Super. It's why that trait Toriyama says, without example will always be taken too literal and mentally retcon people's beliefs.
It's a clear, purposeful change of dialogue that fits with FUNi's previous track record. I'm not saying it ruined the dub, but it was clearly a change that they made in an otherwise very, very faithful dub that wasn't afraid to make Goku sound exactly like Goku would sound.
Are Goku's friends not among his first concerns? Even with the excitement of beating down another big bad, he's never be careless about those close to him. Wouldn't have gone Super Saiyan if he did care about Krillin. :/
He's most definitely been careless about those close to him. He let Vegeta go, he tried to let Freeza go twice, he let Gero create the cyborgs, he could've defeated Boo the first time we saw him go SS3, and many more.

And yes, according to my original post that started all this, his friends are not his first concern. Roshi says (paraphrased): 'Of course he wants to help everyone, but he gets even more excitement from a good fight.'

Now, I'll say it again: I'm not making a big deal about it. I'm just pointing out an obvious swap by FUNimation between what's most important to him, and what's second most important to him. They literally swapped 1 and 2. Not the end of the world, I just found it interesting despite their efforts to remain true to Goku's character in Kai, so I posted it in the "Dub lines that you find interesting" thread.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:08 am

Bardock Special as a whole, from stuff like "Freeza is afraid yof ou, Bardock" to swap roles of Dodoria henchman ("He is low level warrior" "Low level or not, he is still Saiyan, be on your guard!") Herms made great guide about it viewtopic.php?t=19383
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:15 am

Forte224 wrote:
matt0044 wrote:
Forte224 wrote: It's a clear, purposeful change of dialogue that fits with FUNi's previous track record. I'm not saying it ruined the dub, but it was clearly a change that they made in an otherwise very, very faithful dub that wasn't afraid to make Goku sound exactly like Goku would sound.
He's most definitely been careless about those close to him. He let Vegeta go, he tried to let Freeza go twice, he let Gero create the cyborgs, he could've defeated Boo the first time we saw him go SS3, and many more.

And yes, according to my original post that started all this, his friends are not his first concern. Roshi says (paraphrased): 'Of course he wants to help everyone, but he gets even more excitement from a good fight.'

Now, I'll say it again: I'm not making a big deal about it. I'm just pointing out an obvious swap by FUNimation between what's most important to him, and what's second most important to him. They literally swapped 1 and 2. Not the end of the world, I just found it interesting despite their efforts to remain true to Goku's character in Kai, so I posted it in the "Dub lines that you find interesting" thread.
I'm not trying to drag you over the coal, I was just curious.

To me, Goku seemed to care about his friend plenty when they were in immediate danger but had a, "That's Future Goku's problem" in regards to letting Vegeta go off or letting Gero build his cyborgs and figuring out how to fix it.

Though with Freeza, Namek was about to blow and would've gotten the tyrant caught in the blast.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:27 am

Personally when he let Piccolo, Vegeta and Frieza go (among others) I personally felt that he figured he could take care of them himself if they should ever show up again, on top of being a good opponent. Although with Frieza, he was going to let him go half-knowing he'd probably die; in Kai he says he doesn't really care what Frieza does and had to be goaded into giving him a chance to live. Anyway, Goku was on his way to deal with Frieza when Trunks showed up and in the original timeline, he defeated Frieza with no notable effort; to me it always felt like Frieza's return is the reason why Goku came back to Earth. Regarding Buu, Goku in SS3 would have easily overpowered Fat Buu, but there was no way for him to anticipate at that time that Super Buu would show up and be even worse, let alone Kid Buu.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:53 pm

One I just remembered was during Gohan and Cell's Kamehameha clash, there was a line that said something like 'they're changing the shape of the whole planet', which always seemed odd. I have no idea what this could mean. After it was over the planet was still shaped the same... I suppose if Cell had won and the Earth had been destroyed, that would technically be changing its shape, but they implied it was happening as the beams clashed.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:41 pm

"Don't piss off the God of Love!"

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:23 pm

Mosaic wrote:"Don't piss off the God of Love!"
I never did get how that line was deemed okay for Y7-FV weekday afternoon viewing but the line was deemed not okay for the remastered uncut dvds?

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:20 pm

I hate the line at the end of the movie 8 dub, when goku punches broly in the gut and says ¨Now the real fight begins¨ when he is literally giving him the killing blow. It makes me cringe every time I hear it and it just bothers me more than it should. Even the Guys at Team Four Star fixed this in their movie 8 abridged, and have goku say ¨Hey broly, Say my name¨ as part joke about broly only saying his name, and a genuinely chilling moment that gave me goose bumps. Its one of many laughable lines in the movie 8 dub, and the one I hate even more than I hate SAO or Solo: A star wars movie.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:33 pm

I always felt the dub changes around Piccolo's fusion with Kami were odd. They had Guru explain Kami's passed and how if they fused once more they would "not be beaten by any normal saiyan", so I found it odd that Krillin's dialog is changed to Master Roshi being the one who told him that info. Another one is #16 line "Thats not Piccolo" being changed to "Piccolo is not alone" when, again, we saw with Nail and all that Kami and Piccolo talked about, this new Piccolo is a single entity.

Gogeta's extra dialog from movie 12 always felt tacked on. Sometime that's a good thing as #13 as a character really benefits from it, but sometimes, and this is not just in the films but also the series, English dubs seemed to have a habit of just adding dialog, even were none existed. It can sometimes ruin the mood to have people talking too much.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:58 am

Lord Frieza wrote:It can sometimes ruin the mood to have people talking too much.
Yeah, added dub dialogue seemed to be in service of filling up dead air during the Anime's more dragged out moments. It's definitely something FUNimation moved past (certain gag dubs not withstanding) but it's often a commonality in Anime dubs marketed for kids, thinking that even a few seconds of silence will be enough to make them go: Image