Dub lines that you find interesting.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2592
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:32 am

Footlong Shoe wrote: I always found it odd that they would so often say you needed to "let go of your anger" to become Super Saiyan, even though they were clearly transforming out of anger. Seems like a wasted effort to try and make the Saiyans more heroic.

I love that rewrite. No better way to let go of your anger than seeing your best friend blow up. It's like Funimation wasn't even watching their own show.

User avatar
Adrian Malacoda
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Adrian Malacoda » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:There's this one dub line where after Freeza sees Nail regrow an arm he says, "I'm going to have to make a copy of that." That always baffled me. When has Freeza gone around copying abilities?
I love this line because they created a plothole in order to make a dad joke ("... it might come in hand-y"). If I recall, in the original dub he emphasizes it like "HAND-y" but in the redub he toned it down. This right after the back scratcher line ("Where do I come up with this stuff?"). The best part is that it's in season 3, right after the Funimation cast took over from Ocean, so you can't just dismiss it with "well that was the Ocean dub, of course it sucked then," but it's clearly the same writers and approach to "localizing" the script.

He says it while using his scouter (the original line being about how Nail's battle power has decreased substantially) so the implication is probably supposed to be that Freeza's scouter is what lets him copy powers? Another explanation I've seen somewhere is that it's actually that Freeza is making a note on his scouter that Namekians can regenerate (or using his scouter to somehow record that data, like a Pokédex), and they just worded it weirdly, but I'm not sure that holds up, since Freeza seems to be remarking that the regeneration power itself might "come in hand-y."

I've also seen it suggested somewhere that Freeza used his "ability to copy powers" on Goku in order to develop Golden Freeza.

Codarik
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:20 am
Location: Snake Way

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Codarik » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:27 pm

The first episode in the FUNi dub of the Garlic Jr. arc, Krillin does a Humphrey Bogart impression, in which Gohan calls him out on. Who would've thought Humphrey Bogart existed in the Dragon Ball universe.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:38 pm

It’s been a while since I’ve seen movie 7, but I distinctly remember #13 at one point mentioning segregation and war when he’s criticizing humanity. As out of place as the line felt, I did find its placement in a Dragon Ball movie to be rather fascinating, especially since Dragon Ball would never tackle a topic like segregation.

Another interesting line was when Vegetto said “mommy” when he was poofed back into his normal self, after Buu turned him into a jawbreaker.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17940
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 pm

Codarik wrote:The first episode in the FUNi dub of the Garlic Jr. arc, Krillin does a Humphrey Bogart impression, in which Gohan calls him out on. Who would've thought Humphrey Bogart existed in the Dragon Ball universe.
There's a filler episode where even in the original, one of the names Chichi considered naming Gohan "Einstein".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:47 pm
Location: Gengoro Island

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by One_Instance » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:47 pm

Adrian Malacoda wrote:Another explanation I've seen somewhere is that it's actually that Freeza is making a note on his scouter that Namekians can regenerate
Good thing he made a note of that while battling 1 of the 3 Namekians still alive at that point :lol:

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2592
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:08 pm

Adrian Malacoda wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote:). The best part is that it's in season 3, right after the Funimation cast took over from Ocean, so you can't just dismiss it with "well that was the Ocean dub, of course it sucked then," but it's clearly the same writers and approach to "localizing" the script.

.
Instead you can dismiss it with "Well that was the early Funimation in-house dub, of course it sucked then"

Funimation wrote the scripts for the Saban/Funi/Ocean dub anyways. Technically also the Ocean/Westwood dub as well.....

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1516
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:52 am

Freeza's moment of talking in his "native language" during the fight with Goku was an odd one. Drawing attention to the plot hole of everyone speaking English/Japanese doesn't make the problem go away.

I only heard of that scene when I saw someone on Twitter post that scene but have him switch to Ryusei Nakao for the line. Had no idea it was actually a thing since I didn't watch much of The Bad Dub.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2592
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:33 am

Kataphrut wrote:. Drawing attention to the plot hole of everyone speaking English/Japanese doesn't make the problem go away.
.
That’s not really a plot hole....just a necessary convenience of the genre.


The next dimension lines were always interesting to me sometimes the show was basically treating it like death and it was just a more sci fi heavy variant of heaven/hell/other world/afterlife other times it felt like the show was trying to say “Don’t worry nobody dies in this stort they just get beames into other dimensions”

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6049
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:08 am

KBABZ wrote:I've always liked the more creative ways of writing around the crude humour in the early arcs. For example, Bulma giving Pilaf the finger and saying "My magic finger says it's in the ceiling!" I always found hilarious. I also thought that Oolong's "The world's most comfortable pair of ultra-soft underweaaaaar!!" line is friggin' hilarious and creative.

In terms of interesting, one that always baffled me was when Daimao says to Goku that "He's travelled all over the galaxy, and [he]'s never met anyone as strong as [Goku]!", because when Funi dubbed that, Piccolo had long since been revealed to be an alien AFTER that point. Same goes for Goku "realizing" that Shen/Kami is an ALIEN for whatever reason. Just baffling.
I wrote an entire topic on that line:

viewtopic.php?t=27674

Also one of the most controversial lines in the old dub in terms of power level debates was when Piccolo said that Raditz was faster than light after he dodged his Makasankahoweveryouspellit.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10277
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:45 am

Not a dub line, but Goku calling Gohan a "Stupid Jackass" in the Saiyan arc raised an eyebrow. For a second, I thought I was watching one of those old fansubs.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
Adrian Malacoda
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Adrian Malacoda » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:The next dimension lines were always interesting to me sometimes the show was basically treating it like death and it was just a more sci fi heavy variant of heaven/hell/other world/afterlife other times it felt like the show was trying to say “Don’t worry nobody dies in this stort they just get beames into other dimensions”
Which is funny because I never got the impression that "nobody dies." In English it's common to use euphemisms for death ("went to a better place" etc) so I figured it was just Dragon Ball's take on that.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2592
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:24 pm

Well the old dub did have it so all the civilians on earth during Nappa's rampage escaped and Freeza's men only "hurt" the Nameks (until they were dead later on?) but yeah it still came off like Goku, Raditz Yamcha, Chiaotzu, Tien, Piccolo, Nappa, Cui, Dodoria, Zarbon, and Guldo all died.

DragonBallKing
Regular
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:44 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:33 pm

I forgot that back in the android/cell arc in the Funi dub Vegeta would just call Piccolo "The Namek". Sounds really weird nowadays.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse


Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4726
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Also one of the most controversial lines in the old dub in terms of power level debates was when Piccolo said that Raditz was faster than light after he dodged his Makasankahoweveryouspellit.
Haha, yeah am I glad Kai exists now. To be fair though DBZ in general has a lot of incredibly vague and non-descriptive exclamations about stuff like that (It's off the charts! His power is gigantic! I've never felt anything like it!). The lack of OG DB love (at least for debaters back in the day) is showing there though; Goku is pretty plainly faster than light in the 22nd TB against Krillin when he does the rapid movement disappearing trick.

User avatar
ulisa
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by ulisa » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:34 pm

One of my favorite lines from the old dub still remains one of my favorites, despite knowing it was not accurate to the original script.

When trying to get Gohan to transform in the Time Chamber, the dub has Goku say "The power comes in response to a need, not a desire." Much as I recognize this was very different from the original where he's told he has to tap into a deep rage, I have always loved this concept. Truthfully, I prefer this idea in that it has to be a deeper philosophical change than simply "lettin' yourself snap."
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4726
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:47 pm

ulisa wrote:One of my favorite lines from the old dub still remains one of my favorites, despite knowing it was not accurate to the original script.

When trying to get Gohan to transform in the Time Chamber, the dub has Goku say "The power comes in response to a need, not a desire." Much as I recognize this was very different from the original where he's told he has to tap into a deep rage, I have always loved this concept. Truthfully, I prefer this idea in that it has to be a deeper philosophical change than simply "lettin' yourself snap."
Totally agree here, and it carries a subtext that Gohan has to REALLY take the situation seriously in order to unlock it. It also partially explains why Vegeta had such a hard time getting it, from a philosophical perspective.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6049
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:53 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:Also one of the most controversial lines in the old dub in terms of power level debates was when Piccolo said that Raditz was faster than light after he dodged his Makasankahoweveryouspellit.
Haha, yeah am I glad Kai exists now. To be fair though DBZ in general has a lot of incredibly vague and non-descriptive exclamations about stuff like that (It's off the charts! His power is gigantic! I've never felt anything like it!). The lack of OG DB love (at least for debaters back in the day) is showing there though; Goku is pretty plainly faster than light in the 22nd TB against Krillin when he does the rapid movement disappearing trick.
When you get down to it the franchise is ridiculously inconsistent about the speed of characters. The dub just makes it worse.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1516
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:. Drawing attention to the plot hole of everyone speaking English/Japanese doesn't make the problem go away.
.
That’s not really a plot hole....just a necessary convenience of the genre.


The next dimension lines were always interesting to me sometimes the show was basically treating it like death and it was just a more sci fi heavy variant of heaven/hell/other world/afterlife other times it felt like the show was trying to say “Don’t worry nobody dies in this stort they just get beames into other dimensions”
It's funny, we mock the "next dimension" stuff because of the way it cheapens death, but at the same time it's pretty accurate to how death is actually treated in Dragon Ball. Yeah, the use of that term is obviously for censorship purposes, but if the Japanese version or even the Kai dub started using it, I don't think I'd bat an eyelid.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4726
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:04 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:When you get down to it the franchise is ridiculously inconsistent about the speed of characters. The dub just makes it worse.
Oh yeah, particularly in the anime where you only have a certain amount of frames per second to work with, usually 12 but sometimes the full 24. But when you're already having fights occur on ones (that is, an animation frame change on every single frame) in the 22nd TB, you really can't show how much faster someone is without making them outright disappear (which is a tired trope in its own right) or by having characters tell the audience how much faster they are.
Kataphrut wrote:It's funny, we mock the "next dimension" stuff because of the way it cheapens death, but at the same time it's pretty accurate to how death is actually treated in Dragon Ball. Yeah, the use of that term is obviously for censorship purposes, but if the Japanese version or even the Kai dub started using it, I don't think I'd bat an eyelid.
I think the use of Next Dimension doesn't work on two levels. First, very few characters in the story would even have knowledge of life after death, unless we assume everyone, including aliens like Raditz and Frieza, knows and believes Buddhist/Chinese mythological afterlife lore. That isn't implausible given that they all speak English or Japanese or Spanish or what have you, but it's rather unlikely.

More importantly, the actual act of censorship stands out because of how obvious it is, like the dialogue equivalent of frothy mugs of water. In The Walking Dead show, Neegan says "They don't know who they're screwing with", when it's so obviously meant to be the more intense profanity that was used in the comics. The use of something softer contrasts with the character and tone of the scene, and basically signposts that something different was intended to be used.

Post Reply