Dub lines that you find interesting.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ulisa
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by ulisa » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:21 pm

KBABZ wrote:Totally agree here, and it carries a subtext that Gohan has to REALLY take the situation seriously in order to unlock it. It also partially explains why Vegeta had such a hard time getting it, from a philosophical perspective.
Honestly, for me, when I first saw the dub where Gohan transforms into Super Saiyan, I always saw it as spiritual change for him, in that he was no longer going to need protecting but instead would become a protector, which is something that follows him all the way to the end of the series. It's likely just my head canon but I love that connection to Goku's earlier words about it being a need, not a desire and that for Gohan, it becomes a need to protect.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2591
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:30 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:It's funny, we mock the "next dimension" stuff because of the way it cheapens death, but at the same time it's pretty accurate to how death is actually treated in Dragon Ball. Yeah, the use of that term is obviously for censorship purposes, but if the Japanese version or even the Kai dub started using it, I don't think I'd bat an eyelid.
I think the use of Next Dimension doesn't work on two levels. First, very few characters in the story would even have knowledge of life after death, unless we assume everyone, including aliens like Raditz and Frieza, knows and believes Buddhist/Chinese mythological afterlife lore. That isn't implausible given that they all speak English or Japanese or Spanish or what have you, but it's rather unlikely.
.
As far as I'm aware next dimensions's aren't part of typical Buddhist/Chinese beliefs? I'm not buddhist though.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4726
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:37 pm

ulisa wrote:Honestly, for me, when I first saw the dub where Gohan transforms into Super Saiyan, I always saw it as spiritual change for him, in that he was no longer going to need protecting but instead would become a protector, which is something that follows him all the way to the end of the series. It's likely just my head canon but I love that connection to Goku's earlier words about it being a need, not a desire and that for Gohan, it becomes a need to protect.
Agreed. And it doesn't wipe away the earlier use of it either by having a bad day, it's just contextualized to be broader than that.
MasenkoHA wrote:As far as I'm aware next dimensions's aren't part of typical Buddhist/Chinese beliefs? I'm not buddhist though.
I was more thinking stuff like King Yemma, who is literally the actual Buddhist god named King Yama. In a filler episode of Dragon Ball after the Baba Yaga Saga, far before the Raditz era, Yemma is name-dropped in the Demon Land episode and it isn't even made out to be anything special, because the show assumes the target audience (young Japanese boys) automatically knows who that is.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:56 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:48 pm

When Bulma calls Kame House to tell them about the remote to deactivate 17 and 18, and Yamcha tells Krillin not to accept the collect call charges. Bulma says she’ll only let them use the remote if Yamcha gives her a foot massage. What the hell, Bulma. There’s robots terrorizing the entire planet, you need to let them use the remote NOW!
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:49 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I've never understood how Goku's response of "It's the Kame-sen'nin style of martial arts" made it into the dub in 1996 (to the ogre after meeting with Enma).

I'm still flabbergasted and fascinated 22 years later.
The line isn't really wrong though, is it? The Kamehameha would be the key technique to the Turtle Hermit's style, no? I know Roshi claims that he doesn't really offer a style, but no choice is still a choice, if you know what I mean. I like to think that working with your hands as Goku had to do in training, became part of his style of fighting. It's the ultimate blue collar fighting style, and that makes the juxtaposition to his opponents like Tien and Vegeta that much more interesting in my mind. Tien has a very disciplined and traditional upbringing in the Crane Hermit school of martial arts and Vegeta has his techniques coming from royalty.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
Adrian Malacoda
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Adrian Malacoda » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:08 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I've never understood how Goku's response of "It's the Kame-sen'nin style of martial arts" made it into the dub in 1996 (to the ogre after meeting with Enma).

I'm still flabbergasted and fascinated 22 years later.
The line isn't really wrong though, is it? The Kamehameha would be the key technique to the Turtle Hermit's style, no?
It's more the fact that the name "Kamesennin" made it into the 1996 US English dub, which was notorious for it's very liberal interpretation of the source material.

It's one of those weird things that just makes you go huh, like that random one-off mention of "Tien Shinhan" early on in the dub (which isn't strictly correct but it's them acknowledging that his name isn't just "Tien")

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4726
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:29 pm

Adrian Malacoda wrote:It's one of those weird things that just makes you go huh, like that random one-off mention of "Tien Shinhan" early on in the dub (which isn't strictly correct but it's them acknowledging that his name isn't just "Tien")
Tien Shinhan does appear a fair bit in Funi's DB as well as Kai, I must say. It's very much played as being a First Name/Last Name thing with Tien being the first name, rather than "Ten" being his nickname. I suspect the motivations for it is that, on trickier translations, Funimation buys themselves two extra syllables to write with in the mouth flaps, while still being able to use the full three syllables for shorter lines of dialogue. Of all the main characters Tenshinhan easily has the longest name.

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1516
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:17 am

KBABZ wrote:
Adrian Malacoda wrote:It's one of those weird things that just makes you go huh, like that random one-off mention of "Tien Shinhan" early on in the dub (which isn't strictly correct but it's them acknowledging that his name isn't just "Tien")
Tien Shinhan does appear a fair bit in Funi's DB as well as Kai, I must say. It's very much played as being a First Name/Last Name thing with Tien being the first name, rather than "Ten" being his nickname. I suspect the motivations for it is that, on trickier translations, Funimation buys themselves two extra syllables to write with in the mouth flaps, while still being able to use the full three syllables for shorter lines of dialogue. Of all the main characters Tenshinhan easily has the longest name.
Fun fact: In Dragon Ball FighterZ, if you have voices set to English and select Tenshinhan, the announcer will say "Tien". If you set it to Japanese, he will say "Tien Shinhan". English Goku also has an in-game line directed at "Tien Shinhan" and maybe some others as well. The fact they say "Tien Shinhan" in Japanese is especially interesting because I'm pretty sure they have Justin Briner as the announcer in all versions of the game, meaning even Japanese region players will hear "Tien Shinhan" in the character select screen. I wonder what they think of that.

This game came out in 2018.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4726
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:08 am

Kataphrut wrote:Fun fact: In Dragon Ball FighterZ, if you have voices set to English and select Tenshinhan, the announcer will say "Tien". If you set it to Japanese, he will say "Tien Shinhan". English Goku also has an in-game line directed at "Tien Shinhan" and maybe some others as well. The fact they say "Tien Shinhan" in Japanese is especially interesting because I'm pretty sure they have Justin Briner as the announcer in all versions of the game, meaning even Japanese region players will hear "Tien Shinhan" in the character select screen. I wonder what they think of that.

This game came out in 2018.
Yyyyyyeah I might prefer Tien out of the two, but using Tien for the Japanese audio is just sloppy and inappropriate.

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1516
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:36 am

KBABZ wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Fun fact: In Dragon Ball FighterZ, if you have voices set to English and select Tenshinhan, the announcer will say "Tien". If you set it to Japanese, he will say "Tien Shinhan". English Goku also has an in-game line directed at "Tien Shinhan" and maybe some others as well. The fact they say "Tien Shinhan" in Japanese is especially interesting because I'm pretty sure they have Justin Briner as the announcer in all versions of the game, meaning even Japanese region players will hear "Tien Shinhan" in the character select screen. I wonder what they think of that.

This game came out in 2018.
Yyyyyyeah I might prefer Tien out of the two, but using Tien for the Japanese audio is just sloppy and inappropriate.
I can get behind 'Tien' because it works well enough as an abbreviation and sounds better than the alternative 'Ten'. "Tien Shinhan" is the worst of both worlds since it's not only inaccurate but adds an extra syllable.

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by matt0044 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:26 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:. Drawing attention to the plot hole of everyone speaking English/Japanese doesn't make the problem go away.
.
That’s not really a plot hole....just a necessary convenience of the genre.


The next dimension lines were always interesting to me sometimes the show was basically treating it like death and it was just a more sci fi heavy variant of heaven/hell/other world/afterlife other times it felt like the show was trying to say “Don’t worry nobody dies in this stort they just get beames into other dimensions”
Hell, Other World practically is another dimension. Or another universe altogether. It was never exactly clear...

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:16 pm

"This new level will make the ultimate sword for justice, and when your sword is mighty enough you don't need a shield." A really good way on changing the dialogue but keeping the intent behind the same.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Doctor. » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:19 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:"This new level will make the ultimate sword for justice, and when your sword is mighty enough you don't need a shield." A really good way on changing the dialogue but keeping the intent behind the same.
Funimation's modern dubs have a tendency to add flowery dialogue. I feel like it usually doesn't fit unless it's characters like Freeza or, in this case, Zamasu.

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by matt0044 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:38 pm

Doctor. wrote:Funimation's modern dubs have a tendency to add flowery dialogue. I feel like it usually doesn't fit unless it's characters like Freeza or, in this case, Zamasu.
Vegeta works considering he's a warrior prince who can sound gruff but knows how to speak dignified when emphasizing this.

The vocabulary can be quite extensive even for their more adaptive stance on dubbing but I feel that they know who'd say what words and not, sounding like how a native English speaker would speak this or that particular line. Like sure, I know it's translated from Japanese but I wanna trick myself into thinking it was written in English first.

Bare in mind, this isn't accounting for their gag dubs like Hajimete No Gal, Shin Chan or Panty & Stocking where they REALLY cut loose for all of the right reasons. However, this being Dragon Ball, there's a lot of over-the-top and mega dramatic dialogue that only a Shonen Anime's known for. And yes, it can come off as "flowery" under certain translations.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5425
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:11 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote: I always found it odd that they would so often say you needed to "let go of your anger" to become Super Saiyan, even though they were clearly transforming out of anger. Seems like a wasted effort to try and make the Saiyans more heroic.

I love that rewrite. No better way to let go of your anger than seeing your best friend blow up. It's like Funimation wasn't even watching their own show.
But Goku literally tells Gohan to get mad and think of all the bad things Freeza (and later Cell) did to get him to transform.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4726
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:20 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote: I always found it odd that they would so often say you needed to "let go of your anger" to become Super Saiyan, even though they were clearly transforming out of anger. Seems like a wasted effort to try and make the Saiyans more heroic.
I love that rewrite. No better way to let go of your anger than seeing your best friend blow up. It's like Funimation wasn't even watching their own show.
But Goku literally tells Gohan to get mad and think of all the bad things Freeza (and later Cell) did to get him to transform.
Maybe by "let go" the intent was for Goku to imply "Let go of your restraint, let it run loose"?

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:53 am

I just thought of another one. When Piccolo fights 17 he specifically says "Goku punches harder than you", while in the Japanese version I think he makes more of a general comment about 17's punches being weak.

It's an interesting line because earlier Piccolo implied that Vegeta had surpassed Goku, and Vegeta got stomped by 18 who is meant to be weaker than 17. I used to wonder if maybe Goku without the heart virus actually could be stronger than the Androids, but then that still contradicts Piccolo's earlier line about Vegeta surpassing him. Another way I looked at it was that maybe Goku actually could punch harder than 17 due to being a more experienced fighter and martial artist, despite 17 being more powerful overall.

Or maybe Piccolo was just fucking with him.

User avatar
PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here
Posts: 2150
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:17 am

90sDBZ wrote:I just thought of another one. When Piccolo fights 17 he specifically says "Goku punches harder than you", while in the Japanese version I think he makes more of a general comment about 17's punches being weak.

It's an interesting line because earlier Piccolo implied that Vegeta had surpassed Goku, and Vegeta got stomped by 18 who is meant to be weaker than 17. I used to wonder if maybe Goku without the heart virus actually could be stronger than the Androids, but then that still contradicts Piccolo's earlier line about Vegeta surpassing him. Another way I looked at it was that maybe Goku actually could punch harder than 17 due to being a more experienced fighter and martial artist, despite 17 being more powerful overall.

Or maybe Piccolo was just fucking with him.
Well, the Tournament of Power in DBS saw greater emphasis on things like the strength of one's blows, rather than the strength of the person behind the blows.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that he simply meant it literally.

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by matt0044 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:17 am

History of Trunks has a grandpa comfort his granddaughter by saying, "It's just like watching fireworks, dear," as the Androids blow them up. Way to twist the knife, FUNimation.

Later, Bulma's completing the time machine and has a little nostalgic speech of her father, Dr. Brief, when talking with Trunks. I dunno, that softer side of her was nice to hear.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17938
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:08 am

matt0044 wrote:History of Trunks has a grandpa comfort his granddaughter by saying, "It's just like watching fireworks, dear," as the Androids blow them up. Way to twist the knife, FUNimation.

Later, Bulma's completing the time machine and has a little nostalgic speech of her father, Dr. Brief, when talking with Trunks. I dunno, that softer side of her was nice to hear.
The line I remember most was, "I love you Trunks. If you only knew how much." I'm not the biggest fan of Vollmer, but she was good in that moment.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Post Reply