Why is Cell so popular in west than in Japan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toxin45
Regular

Why is Cell so popular in west than in Japan?

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:02 pm

I did this before but I am stating why is cell is much more popular in the west than in Japan. The reason for this is because his arc was inspired by the western film series terminator perhaps is that why cell is so appealing to the west while in Japan Frieza is the most popular villain and has made numerous appearances in commercials,cameos,and some major recurring appearnaces in the dragon ball series while cell is the less popular in Japan and that is why he dosen't appear much in manga or anime only small cameos. The other reason is because toriyama and the toei staff stated that he is tedious to draw due to his spots which explains why he doesn't make much appearances compared to Frieza and buu. At least fighterz did make him apart of the story and make him the roast King lol. So what are your thoughts on cell?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Why is Cell so popular in west than in Japan?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 03, 2018 1:37 pm

I am not aware of any data that suggests Cell is any more or less popular than any other given villain in western fandom.

At different points in time, Freeza and Cell have ranked higher than each other in Japanese popularity polls.

While perhaps not as much as Freeza, Cell has certainly make numerous appearances in ancillary media over the years, oftentimes teamed up with Freeza himself.

Relevant quotes regarding Cell and his spots so things are not taken out of context and blown out of proportion:
Daizenshuu 1 Interview wrote:After I came up with Cell's picture, I went "Damn it!" I thought that I was done with the manuscript, but I hadn't drawn those spots on his body yet (laughs); that happened a lot. That's the reason why there never were any characters that had screen tone, except for ones with very minor roles. It's not that I dislike screen tone, I want to use it. But it's difficult to use, so I can't. (laughs)
Full Color Manga Q&A wrote:Picture-wise, the spots on his body were really tough; it was very tedious to draw them every time!
Super History Book Interview wrote:I'm in the habit of giving characters progressively more complex and tough-looking forms, then finally making them really sleek. After all, it's awful drawing them once they get all complex. (laughs) Complex guys are terrible when you have to draw them for weeks on end… Cell was a ton of work, with those darn spots of his. (laughs)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu May 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Cell's pretty popular in the game franchises, dating back to the really old ones where he'd often be the final boss. And even more recently Dragon Ball FighterZ gave Cell some big screen time. While you give some good reasons I agree with (like the Android saga being inspired partially by Terminator), I'm not sure Cell is genuinely more popular in the West. I wish there was some way to put his popularity into numbers we could compare. As for the Freeza comparison, I think Freeza is more popular overall globally, maybe simply because Freeza was done so well, and Cell comes about at a point in Dragon ball where the series is starting to fatigue. Cell is also somewhat of a copy of Freeza, having some of his abilities, being able to live in space, being a threat to the universe, etc.
VegettoEX wrote:Relevant quotes regarding Cell and his spots so things are not taken out of context and blown out of proportion
It seems weird that would even be an issue anymore, too. With all the digital methods they use to make the anime now, I'm sure they could come up with some easy fix for Cell's spots.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu May 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Because Buu was a fat infant and the dub made Freeza a transvestite.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:49 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Because Buu was a fat infant and the dub made Freeza a transvestite.
Well Frieza's voiced change nowadays