Funny thing about Cell.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Funny thing about Cell.

Post by Vijay » Thu May 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Toxin45 wrote:
Vijay wrote:Cell is actually just as big as Frieza in Japan, if not more

Frieza is aimed primarily for kids

Cell is biological android, with specific goals which caters more to teens compared to kids

In fact, I think Cell's design with those spots are what makes him distinctive, compared to simpler designs of Frieza & Boo

Dont get me wrong. I truely admire Toriyama's effort for 1st, 2nd & 4th form Frieza.

But Majin Boo is simplest one, except maybe Bootenks & Boohan.

Considering how evil, spoiled brat like Frieza can be resurected, guess no telling if Toriyama decides to ressurect Cell who was basically, a pre-programmed life form.
Nah cell is actually more popular in the west than in Japan and you have to remember that cell scores lower in polls and Japan he is less popular
There was parody of Cell in comedy anime series, Sket Dance in which one of its leads, Switch actually uses Cell's "Kanzentai" lines which makes me think. If a character isnt popular, it wouldnt have been parodied in the 1st place.

Just like Broly. There's a TON of Broly parody vids on Youtube from Japan anime fanboys, which reflects the characters popularity, evidenced in the poll

I'm not sayin Cell isnt popular elsewhere. Piccolo Daimou, Frieza, Cell, Boo are iconic DragonBall baddies for as long as last DB fan lives

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Vijay wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
Vijay wrote:Cell is actually just as big as Frieza in Japan, if not more

Frieza is aimed primarily for kids

Cell is biological android, with specific goals which caters more to teens compared to kids

In fact, I think Cell's design with those spots are what makes him distinctive, compared to simpler designs of Frieza & Boo

Dont get me wrong. I truely admire Toriyama's effort for 1st, 2nd & 4th form Frieza.

But Majin Boo is simplest one, except maybe Bootenks & Boohan.

Considering how evil, spoiled brat like Frieza can be resurected, guess no telling if Toriyama decides to ressurect Cell who was basically, a pre-programmed life form.
Nah cell is actually more popular in the west than in Japan and you have to remember that cell scores lower in polls and Japan he is less popular
There was parody of Cell in comedy anime series, Sket Dance in which one of its leads, Switch actually uses Cell's "Kanzentai" lines which makes me think. If a character isnt popular, it wouldnt have been parodied in the 1st place.

Just like Broly. There's a TON of Broly parody vids on Youtube from Japan anime fanboys, which reflects the characters popularity, evidenced in the poll

I'm not sayin Cell isnt popular elsewhere. Piccolo Daimou, Frieza, Cell, Boo are iconic DragonBall baddies for as long as last DB fan lives
Yeah that was a long time ago and nowadays cell is still out of focus.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:36 pm

ABED wrote:Still don't see how any of that proves that Cell isn't as important to the lore of DB as Buu. I'll give you Freeza, but at this point not Buu. Uub is only in Z at the very end and he doesn't do much in GT. Meanwhile, Cell has connections going back to Goku's early days and he was a significant big bad.
Yeah cell was significant big bad but Gero is the one with grudge against goku and simply created the androids to get payback at him cell simply wanted to fight goku for sport and was more of a personal nemesis to Gohan and trunks than he is to goku.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu May 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Toxin45 wrote:The Funny thing about Cell is that in an interview Toriyama really disliked drawing Cell due to all those spots and it seems the writers agree. Guess that's why he doesn't appear in Super lol. Also because he is the least popular Z villain in japan unlike in the west where he is more popular. Just wanted to say this I mean would you feel Toriyama's pain drawing Cell? :D
The only funny thing is you made a thread just like this last week and guessing by your comment, ignored VegettoEX's reponse.

Anyway, we don't know that any of those things are the reason he didn't appear in Super. Maybe Norio Wakamoto was tied up with other shows and couldn't commit to Super. Maybe they were saving Cell so they could use him in the games. Maybe Toei is still cashing in on Freeza's revival, but will plan something for Cell when that dies down. Like others have said, he's still one of the top three most important villains of the original manga for Goku's adult life. I don't think Cell is ever going to go away in the franchise.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:48 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:The Funny thing about Cell is that in an interview Toriyama really disliked drawing Cell due to all those spots and it seems the writers agree. Guess that's why he doesn't appear in Super lol. Also because he is the least popular Z villain in japan unlike in the west where he is more popular. Just wanted to say this I mean would you feel Toriyama's pain drawing Cell? :D
The only funny thing is you made a thread just like this last week and guessing by your comment, ignored VegettoEX's reponse.

Anyway, we don't know that any of those things are the reason he didn't appear in Super. Maybe Norio Wakamoto was tied up with other shows and couldn't commit to Super. Maybe they were saving Cell so they could use him in the games. Maybe Toei is still cashing in on Freeza's revival, but will plan something for Cell when that dies down. Like others have said, he's still one of the top three most important villains of the original manga for Goku's adult life. I don't think Cell is ever going to go away in the franchise.
Un yeah Frieza's popularity is not going down and cell is more of a nemesis to Gohan these days than goku I mean if cell comes back how would he return? Cell isn't as marketable as Frieza in Japan.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu May 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Toxin45 wrote:Un yeah Frieza's popularity is not going down and cell is more of a nemesis to Gohan these days than goku I mean if cell comes back how would he return? Cell isn't as marketable as Frieza in Japan.
Before Resurrection F, Freeza wasn't utilized after his final death from Trunks save a cameo episode alongside Cell in Buu saga and GT. I agree Freeza is more marketable, but there's no reason Toei can't market multiple villains. Does the Joker's popularity in the Batman franchise make Mr. Freeze not marketable enough to use anymore?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Toxin45 wrote:
ABED wrote:Still don't see how any of that proves that Cell isn't as important to the lore of DB as Buu. I'll give you Freeza, but at this point not Buu. Uub is only in Z at the very end and he doesn't do much in GT. Meanwhile, Cell has connections going back to Goku's early days and he was a significant big bad.
Yeah cell was significant big bad but Gero is the one with grudge against goku and simply created the androids to get payback at him cell simply wanted to fight goku for sport and was more of a personal nemesis to Gohan and trunks than he is to goku.
Trunks, maybe, but not Gohan. Yes, I know he fought Gohan, but there's little in the way of personal connection there like there is with Goku. Gohan feels like he's little more than a proxy for Goku in that fight. I'm well aware of the history of the shows, but you have yet to show me why Buu is more important to the mythos or lore than Cell. Cell was created by a man who has ties going back to one of Goku's earliest adventures.

Buu is the final big bad of Z, but little more than that.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:10 pm

ABED wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
Trunks, maybe, but not Gohan. Yes, I know he fought Gohan, but there's little in the way of personal connection there like there is with Goku. Gohan feels like he's little more than a proxy for Goku in that fight. I'm well aware of the history of the shows, but you have yet to show me why Buu is more important to the mythos or lore than Cell. Cell was created by a man who has ties going back to one of Goku's earliest adventures.

Buu is the final big bad of Z, but little more than that.
Buu is a universal destroyer had destroyed pretty much every planet and killed 4 supreme Kai's also the video games show that cell and Gohan still have a grudge against one another.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Okay, but the Kaioshin and Buu have no effect on the story until the very end. Cell has links to Goku's past. He was created to be the ultimate artificial human. That link puts him above Buu.

Anyway, I'm ambivalent about Cell. THere are parts of him I find bland, but I also some of his tactics and his motivations interesting. Counter to the member who thought it was bland, other than Vegeta's desire to fight, what other villains wanted to fight just to test themselves. Freeza wanted to dish out pain, Piccolo wanted to cause death and destruction, Kid Buu was a mindless killing machine, Tenshinhan was an antagonist, but not a villain. Cell's motives for fighting weren't unique but they weren't same old, same old, either.

I'm not the biggest fan of trotting out old villains, but I wouldn't mind seeing Cell again. The pairing with Freeza was oddly interesting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:38 pm

ABED wrote:Okay, but the Kaioshin and Buu have no effect on the story until the very end. Cell has links to Goku's past. He was created to be the ultimate artificial human. That link puts him above Buu.

Anyway, I'm ambivalent about Cell. THere are parts of him I find bland, but I also some of his tactics and his motivations interesting. Counter to the member who thought it was bland, other than Vegeta's desire to fight, what other villains wanted to fight just to test themselves. Freeza wanted to dish out pain, Piccolo wanted to cause death and destruction, Kid Buu was a mindless killing machine, Tenshinhan was an antagonist, but not a villain. Cell's motives for fighting weren't unique but they weren't same old, same old, either.

I'm not the biggest fan of trotting out old villains, but I wouldn't mind seeing Cell again. The pairing with Freeza was oddly interesting.
Yeah Frieza and cell team up would be cool along with the ginyu force and kuriza and some new minions. Cell would be an excuse for Gohan to be relevant again.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu May 10, 2018 2:49 pm

Toxin45 wrote:Cell would be an excuse for Gohan to be relevant again.
Gohan was relevant in the ToP. But I wonder if Cell coming back actually means Gohan would be fighting? Goku is much more related to Cell's creation and Gohan's victory was all thanks to Goku manipulating the situation so that Gohan could beat Cell.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:00 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:Cell would be an excuse for Gohan to be relevant again.
Gohan was relevant in the ToP. But I wonder if Cell coming back actually means Gohan would be fighting? Goku is much more related to Cell's creation and Gohan's victory was all thanks to Goku manipulating the situation so that Gohan could beat Cell.
Nah cell was made from the cells of goku,vegeta,piccolo,and Frieza plus cell was pissed at Gohan for killing him and he never made things personal for goku.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu May 10, 2018 4:09 pm

Toxin45 wrote:Nah cell was made from the cells of goku,vegeta,piccolo,and Frieza plus cell was pissed at Gohan for killing him and he never made things personal for goku.
Right, the cells of Goku but not Gohan, so Goku is more connected in that way. At least in the manga and anime, Cell isn't specifically mad at Gohan after he gets killed.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Cell's connection was always to Goku. He was created largely to kill Goku. He sees Goku as the ultimate challenge. Gohan may be the one to kill him, but he seems little more than Goku's proxy in that final battle. And as others have pointed out, Cell has Goku's cells, not Gohan's.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:51 pm

ABED wrote:Cell's connection was always to Goku. He was created largely to kill Goku. He sees Goku as the ultimate challenge. Gohan may be the one to kill him, but he seems little more than Goku's proxy in that final battle. And as others have pointed out, Cell has Goku's cells, not Gohan's.
Yet but since goku surpasses cell his conection to goku is now irrelvant and is barely mentioned. Plus Gohan pretty much destroys cell when he first became super Saiyan 2 and that cause cell to have a mental breakdown even blowing himself up out of spite and returning as super perfect cell he was going insane declaring the destruction of everything and basically couldn't believe in his final moments that he was killed by Gohan.
Last edited by Toxin45 on Thu May 10, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:54 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:Nah cell was made from the cells of goku,vegeta,piccolo,and Frieza plus cell was pissed at Gohan for killing him and he never made things personal for goku.
Right, the cells of Goku but not Gohan, so Goku is more connected in that way. At least in the manga and anime, Cell isn't specifically mad at Gohan after he gets killed.
Cell was pretty mad at Gohan for embrassing him dude.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Still doesn't prove that Buu is more important/connected to DB's lore/story/whatever you want to call it.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:01 pm

ABED wrote:Still doesn't prove that Buu is more important/connected to DB's lore/story/whatever you want to call it.
Yet still cell is despite being made from his Dna he is still got more personal from his fight with Gohan from beating him not like with goku. Because Frieza is the only recurring villain in the series at this point and if cell does return it would renew peoples Interest but I don't think he would get a new form like Frieza due to him being a bio android he would be on par with android 17 and 18 but not on the same level as goku,vegeta,and Gohan. Fat buu is a supporting character with a few focus episodes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Toxin45 wrote:
ABED wrote:Still doesn't prove that Buu is more important/connected to DB's lore/story/whatever you want to call it.
Yet still cell is despite being made from his Dna he is still got more personal from his fight with Gohan from beating him not like with goku. Because Frieza is the only recurring villain in the series at this point and if cell does return it would renew peoples Interest but I don't think he would get a new form like Frieza due to him being a bio android he would be on par with android 17 and 18 but not on the same level as goku,vegeta,and Gohan. Fat buu is a supporting character with a few focus episodes.
I didn't bring up Freeza. I get that. I'm talking about Buu. How is Buu more important to the lore than Cell? Yes, he's a supporting character, but not an important one.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:09 pm

ABED wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
I didn't bring up Freeza. I get that. I'm talking about Buu. How is Buu more important to the lore than Cell? Yes, he's a supporting character, but not an important one.
Whatever man besides I think cell was reincarnated since we don''t see him and the other villains besides Frieza while the only others are sorbet and shisami.