Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:45 am

alakazam^ wrote:If you want a more fleshed-out story (although not by much), you should read the (damn) manga..
I would love to, but it was never officially released outside of Japan.

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5289
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:35 am

Toxin45 wrote: Nah Toriyama isn't stupid to kill off Frieza again dude.
I promise I won't forget this comment until I watch the new Movie.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Melkaniator » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:05 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
Freeza specifically said he chose the color himself to convey his dominance over Goku in particular, which would at least partly suggest it's a callback to Super Saiyan. It's overly gaudy, which underlines Freeza's superiority complex, and it perfectly encapsulates his vindictive nature as well as his climactic battle against Goku on Namek.

Cooler's personality is too distinct from Freeza's for an identical scenario to make any sense in his case. Why would he suddenly care about being gold?
Imitating his brother maybe, it's not as senseless as anything else in DBS anyway.
Toxin45 wrote: Nah Toriyama isn't stupid to kill off Frieza again dude.
I have zero trust in Toriyama, he has proven that he doesn't care about decent storytelling.

Though TOEI is worst most of the time.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Toxin45
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:35 pm

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 am

Melkaniator wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:
Freeza specifically said he chose the color himself to convey his dominance over Goku in particular, which would at least partly suggest it's a callback to Super Saiyan. It's overly gaudy, which underlines Freeza's superiority complex, and it perfectly encapsulates his vindictive nature as well as his climactic battle against Goku on Namek.

Cooler's personality is too distinct from Freeza's for an identical scenario to make any sense in his case. Why would he suddenly care about being gold?
Imitating his brother maybe, it's not as senseless as anything else in DBS anyway.
Toxin45 wrote: Nah Toriyama isn't stupid to kill off Frieza again dude.
I have zero trust in Toriyama, he has proven that he doesn't care about decent storytelling.

Though TOEI is worst most of the time.
Nah dude your still new to this site.

User avatar
ZeroNeonix
Regular
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:16 am

Mnich wrote:A little off-topic but still about Xeno Goku. I just found this information on DB Wiki, that Supreme Kai of Time forbade him to use this form (SSJ4) since "it would affect time". Can anyone confirm this with manga or game? I mean, why would it affect time?
Xeno Goku and DBS Goku are from two different timelines, and Xeno is also from the future. Witnessing SS4 could result in DBS Goku achieving a form he wasn't supposed to even know existed.

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by DHM211 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 am

Really enjoyed this honestly. Plot wise, it seems more interesting then most of Super.

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4111
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:16 am

I didn't think it would be so short, but I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if there will be an effort to actually incorporate it into the "main timeline" once the regular series picks back up, but I liked it. Seems more like video game cutscenes than an anime, though lol But that's okay. In the very least, it seems creative and it departs from the conventional story. For the most part, Super had a very original idea with regard to the deities and whatnot, but I feel like the entire series harped on it for so much without moving on, that the concept feels played out even though it's still fresh. This is yet another refreshing idea, at least for me.

Is it the most compelling storytelling to ever exist? No. Is it the most well-crafted masterpiece? No. Is it the canonical missing link that everyone was searching for? No. Was it enjoyable and a worthy entry into the Dragon Ball franchise? In my opinion, definitely.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5371
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:23 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Is it the most compelling storytelling to ever exist? No. Is it the most well-crafted masterpiece? No. Is it the canonical missing link that everyone was searching for? No. Was it enjoyable and a worthy entry into the Dragon Ball franchise? In my opinion, definitely.
Shouldn't you have added "in my opinion" to the other answers too? Because they are certainly opinions as well.
TheGreatness25 wrote:Is it the most well-crafted masterpiece? No.
Compared to Dragon Ball Super (along with Movie 15 and Dragon Ball Minus)? ("in my opinion") Yes.
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

User avatar
mahakaishin1991
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:31 am

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Mnich wrote:A little off-topic but still about Xeno Goku. I just found this information on DB Wiki, that Supreme Kai of Time forbade him to use this form (SSJ4) since "it would affect time". Can anyone confirm this with manga or game? I mean, why would it affect time?
Xeno Goku and DBS Goku are from two different timelines, and Xeno is also from the future. Witnessing SS4 could result in DBS Goku achieving a form he wasn't supposed to even know existed.
Thats not it at all.

Firstly the passage the dragon ball wiki has on the form never mentions it would effect time, only that he is forbidden from using it. It sounds more like hes not allowed to because its so powerful and potentially destructive. The time patrol need to be discrete and if he goes that strong without it being the last resort he could cause massive damage.

Think Doctor strange going back in time to Avengers 1 and deciding to use a massive AoE spell to kill all the aliens around him. Yeah hes done that but what other costs happened? Did anyone who shouldnt get hurt get killed?

Its more a 'youre going to destroy the whole planet, father!' deal as far as I can tell. But the time effect thing isnt even on the wiki

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4111
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:37 am

Grimlock wrote:[spoiler]
TheGreatness25 wrote:Is it the most compelling storytelling to ever exist? No. Is it the most well-crafted masterpiece? No. Is it the canonical missing link that everyone was searching for? No. Was it enjoyable and a worthy entry into the Dragon Ball franchise? In my opinion, definitely.
[/spoiler]

Shouldn't you have added "in my opinion" to the other answers too? Because they are certainly opinions as well.
I guess I should have, but I'd say it's pretty objective that it's not those things seeing as it clearly doesn't easily squeeze into the "main story." I mostly meant "perfect" in terms of continuity.

Hey, I only add the "in my opinion" parts to not look combative and not look like I'm shoving my beliefs down people's throats. Realistically, I don't care if anyone shares my opinion, but I could see how my older posts might have seemed like I was pushing my thoughts on others, which I don't want to do. Cut me some slack! :P

User avatar
Exline
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Exline » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:11 am

People enjoyed this new Heroes anime's 1st episode?

I have no words besides that it was just dissapointing. I don't know much about Heroes, but it looks just like fan pandering which was what the anime was already.

User avatar
PsionicWarrior
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1553
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:16 am

DHM211 wrote:Really enjoyed this honestly. Plot wise, it seems more interesting then most of Super.
wat lol

It starts with some sparring, then Mai pops up in Beerus's planet what was she even doing there lol and say "oooh it's terrible Trunks was imprisoned by a bad guy" and apparently it happened all under Goku, Vegeta, Whis and Beerus's beard, sure makes sense lol
Then they see that Fu guy and don't even question him (horrible voice for him, btw really not what I would have imagined from his design lol), Mai never saw him in her life but when he says he's a friend of Trunks ok whatever you say lol
Xeno Goku meets our Goku, both transform in a form they didn't know even exist but no question no surprise whatsoever lol
Then what is the plot, basically we are imprisoned and need to fight our way out, but just since it's DB we need to get dragon balls first geez so deep lol

And all that (and I passed some) in the span of a 8mns episode lol

I know Super is not the best show but that really doesn't compare to it lol

Only thing I liked was Xeno Goku, I think he actually looks and feel much more like Goku than Super's Goku but that's not really a good thing either lol

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by DHM211 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Really enjoyed this honestly. Plot wise, it seems more interesting then most of Super.
wat lol

It starts with some sparring, then Mai pops up in Beerus's planet what was she even doing there lol and say "oooh it's terrible Trunks was imprisoned by a bad guy" and apparently it happened all under Goku, Vegeta, Whis and Beerus's beard, sure makes sense lol
Then they see that Fu guy and don't even question him (horrible voice for him, btw really not what I would have imagined from his design lol), Mai never saw him in her life but when he says he's a friend of Trunks ok whatever you say lol
Xeno Goku meets our Goku, both transform in a form they didn't know even exist but no question no surprise whatsoever lol
Then what is the plot, basically we are imprisoned and need to fight our way out, but just since it's DB we need to get dragon balls first geez so deep lol

And all that (and I passed some) in the span of a 8mns episode lol

I know Super is not the best show but that really doesn't compare to it lol

Only thing I liked was Xeno Goku, I think he actually looks and feel much more like Goku than Super's Goku but that's not really a good thing either lol
Yeah lol

Mai and Trunks were on Beerus planet because Trunks came back in time to train with Goku and Vegeta. lol.

Vegeta clearly see's (lol) that somethings not right with Fu, but doesn't waste any time questiong him as his sons life may be in danger. lol.

>Xeno Goku meets our Goku, both transform in a form they didn't know even exist but no question no surprise whatsoever lol
lol,. This is exactly how a confrontation between two Gokus would go. See each other, and want to test each others strength. lol.

>Then what is the plot, basically we are imprisoned and need to fight our way out, but just since it's DB we need to get dragon balls first geez so deep lol
The Plot is that Goku and co. get trapped in prison (lol), and basically have to break out through a series of quests. lol. This seems far more interesting than Super, which was one mediocre retread of a movie(BoG), one terrible retread of a movie (R'F'), one extremely mediocre tournament(U6), one great arc(Future Trunks), some decent filler, and another mediocre tournament(ToP). lol.

Not to mention Fu is actually a decent villain, as he sees his experiments as a way to help him better the multiverse, instead of him being a generic mustache twirling bad guy. lol.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5578
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:31 pm

Is anyone else bothered by everyone (including Vegeta) instantly trusting this mysterious guy who appears from out of nowhere and claims to be Future Trunks' friend? That seems ridiculously out of character and just bad writing.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
ZeroNeonix
Regular
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Is anyone else bothered by everyone (including Vegeta) instantly trusting this mysterious guy who appears from out of nowhere and claims to be Future Trunks' friend? That seems ridiculously out of character and just bad writing.
"I'm a friend of Trunks. Come with me."

"No."

*Credits roll*

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7811
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Is anyone else bothered by everyone (including Vegeta) instantly trusting this mysterious guy who appears from out of nowhere and claims to be Future Trunks' friend? That seems ridiculously out of character and just bad writing.
Yeah, I kinda wish they had him brainwash or make a fake Mai to help sell the deception.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: S.E. Michigan
Contact:

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Zillamon51 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:20 pm

A lot of WTF? Why is Mai on Beerus' planet? How can this Fu guy just show up there, with no surprise from anybody? Why would Goku and Vegeta just follow him, without asking Mai if he's really a friend of Trunks? Neither Goku nor Vegeta have any questions about SS4?

It would be easier to overlook all of that, if the Goku SS4 vs. Goku SSB fight was better. But nothing to it. And Xeno Goku seems a lot smarter than the DBS Goku we've gotten used to.

I'll keep watching, but won't expect much.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

User avatar
PsionicWarrior
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1553
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:01 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Is anyone else bothered by everyone (including Vegeta) instantly trusting this mysterious guy who appears from out of nowhere and claims to be Future Trunks' friend? That seems ridiculously out of character and just bad writing.
I wouldn't even call this writing to be honest, I can come up with a better scenario while taking my morning toilet dump lol

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5371
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Episode 2's preview summary:

Image
PsionicWarrior wrote:I wouldn't even call this writing to be honest, I can come up with a better scenario while taking my morning toilet dump lol
Oh yeah, we know you can come up with a better writing. We are fascinated and looking forward to see your work, possibly called "Lol: The Adventures of Lol". Starring:

• Lol
• Big Lol
• The other Lol.
• Lolest.
• Further Lol.

Lol is a Saiyan from planet Lol who can transform into Super Saiyan Lol. He struggles to maintain peace against the greatest villain, Evil Lol.
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:04 pm

[spoiler]
DHM211 wrote:
Yeah lol

Mai and Trunks were on Beerus planet because Trunks came back in time to train with Goku and Vegeta. lol.

Vegeta clearly see's (lol) that somethings not right with Fu, but doesn't waste any time questiong him as his sons life may be in danger. lol.

>Xeno Goku meets our Goku, both transform in a form they didn't know even exist but no question no surprise whatsoever lol
lol,. This is exactly how a confrontation between two Gokus would go. See each other, and want to test each others strength. lol.

>Then what is the plot, basically we are imprisoned and need to fight our way out, but just since it's DB we need to get dragon balls first geez so deep lol
The Plot is that Goku and co. get trapped in prison (lol), and basically have to break out through a series of quests. lol. This seems far more interesting than Super, which was one mediocre retread of a movie(BoG), one terrible retread of a movie (R'F'), one extremely mediocre tournament(U6), one great arc(Future Trunks), some decent filler, and another mediocre tournament(ToP). lol.

Not to mention Fu is actually a decent villain, as he sees his experiments as a way to help him better the multiverse, instead of him being a generic mustache twirling bad guy. lol.
Grimlock wrote: Oh yeah, we know you can come up with a better writing. We are fascinated and looking forward to see your work, possibly called "Lol: The Adventures of Lol". Starring:

• Lol
• Big Lol
• The other Lol.
• Lolest.
• Further Lol.

Lol is a Saiyan from planet Lol who can transform into Super Saiyan Lol. He struggles to maintain peace against the greatest villain, Evil Lol.
[/spoiler]

I wish this forum had a post rating system. This is gold. Almost worth an actual laughing out loud.
Last edited by Cetra on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Post Reply