Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:50 pm

Wish they would stop using the Super anime artstyle and use the Broly Super / Wano One Piece style.
We the ones

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:51 am

Episode 33:

- It was somewhat cool to see Towa picking up a fight with a random demon girl

- Vegetto and Fu sword fight was also cool as that something quite rare in DB

- Goku looks good on a black shirt and its seems he will meet Hearts again soon... But the real question is: WEN CELL?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:18 pm

Hey I must say, I didn't expect to like this simple episode so much!

We got this alternate universe which affects the main timeline (?) so that's interesting.

Goku running from the 2 brothers was cool to see and the Freeza/Cooler teamup is something I wanted to see a long time now.

I appreciate how Hearts is willing to assist Goku from beyond the dead to defeat Fu (Demigra resurrected him, did I get that right?).

Cool to see the Time Patrol recovering too (although I wish they enter the fray at some point).

Nice touch of Freeza and Cooler having some reasoning behind hunting down Goku and later Hearts (Freeza being the Freeza we know off and Cooler holding a grudge for the Cumber incident?).

Then, the mysterious hooded figure. My bets are still on Shallot or Giblet. Especially since Cumber is still in this (or so they make it out to be).

Finally, Goku Black having discovered the dark dragon balls and use them to empower the enemies of our cast. Does that mean he is with Fu? Is Black alive because Hearts destroyed the Merged Zamasu, but Black "escaped"? Will be cool to learn about.

Enjoyable battles and animation, with nice OSTs to accompany them.

I would give a 8/10 for this episode!

P.S. Omen Goku destroying Freeza is something I expect to see in the main series at some point.
Last edited by Grand Marshal 1 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
P O W E R

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:21 pm

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:18 pm Finally, Goku Black having discovered the dar dragon balls and use them to empower the enemies of our cast. Does that mean he is with Fu? Is Black alive because Hearts destroyed the Merged Zamasu, but Black "escaped"? Will be cool to learn about.
That's my theory too, since it also explains why only one of Black's eyes is emitting light. He might have gone partially or completely blind on his other eye, which was also the one damaged by Goku's Kamehameha long ago.

I don't know how Black came back from Hearts destroying Fused Zamasu (also I guess that confirms he's dead dead, even though he's immortal?), but then again it's Heroes, things don't have to make sense here.

I'm not even sure we'll get an actual explanation on Black's return, just like we didn't get an explanation on Zamasu's (we know Fuu "saved him" when he got erased by Zeno... somehow... whatever that means...).

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:26 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:21 pm
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:18 pm Finally, Goku Black having discovered the dar dragon balls and use them to empower the enemies of our cast. Does that mean he is with Fu? Is Black alive because Hearts destroyed the Merged Zamasu, but Black "escaped"? Will be cool to learn about.
That's my theory too, since it also explains why only one of Black's eyes is emitting light. He might have gone partially or completely blind on his other eye, which was also the one damaged by Goku's Kamehameha long ago.

I don't know how Black came back from Hearts destroying Fused Zamasu (also I guess that confirms he's dead dead, even though he's immortal?), but then again it's Heroes, things don't have to make sense here.

I'm not even sure we'll get an actual explanation on Black's return, just like we didn't get an explanation on Zamasu's (we know Fuu "saved him" when he got erased by Zeno... somehow... whatever that means...).
To be honest, I didn't mind the Merged Zamasu mystery. And now I don't mind the Black mystery. That's cause their actual arc was already half mystery (who's zamasu, who's black, what do they want). I don't expect big lore explanations from the promo anime either.

That said, Merged Zamasu was immortal. If Zeno failed to kill him (albeit with Fu's help), no reason for Godslayer Hearts not to fail somehow. Just like when Trunks destroyed Merged Zamasu's body and his spirit escaped. His "zamasu" side. Maybe this time, upon destruction, the Potara separated and Black escaped?

I imagine Fu helped again, because Black would have a big reason to go after the main cast and a reborn Hearts again.

Of course I would not mind Black being solo at all.
P O W E R

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:55 pm

Heroes would be so much better if my handsome boys Xeno Goten and Gohan would do something that isn't sleeping. I love the way these guys look so much and it pains me that they're literally doing nothing. But it was cute how Pan took care of her father and uncle.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:04 pm

Now this, I love. Mindless fighting, the golden Cold brothers teaming up to kill Goku and Hearts of all people jumping in to save him. Sign vs Golden Freeza!!

I don't ever care about context, give me mindless fun.

What's all this about Black? wasn't that Bardock powering up the brothers from a mountain with the DBs?

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:04 pm Now this, I love. Mindless fighting, the golden Cold brothers teaming up to kill Goku and Hearts of all people jumping in to save him. Sign vs Golden Freeza!!

I don't ever care about context, give me mindless fun.

What's all this about Black? wasn't that Bardock powering up the brothers from a mountain with the DBs?
There's a very high chance the masked Saiyan is Black this time around.
P O W E R

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:49 pm

It's either Black or Bardock finally learned how to dress decently.

Since Bardock is a stupid ningen, I'm leaning more towards the former.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:25 pm

Oh, I see, because of the clothes, it looks sort of like Black's, can't deny that. I still think it's Bardock, though, only with a different outfit, which Heroes does like to renew. Goku is wearing a black undershirt.

Also, there's no Potara, the most Goku Black telling gadget.

I believe it's Bardock because he's the videogame wild card, whenever you need a mysterious, strong as fuck, masked-figure doing something shady he's usually their to-go-guy.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:40 pm

The new masked saiyan uses "watashi" when he talks about himself at the end of the episode, just like Goku Black does, while Bardock, as far as I'm aware, uses "ore". Unless Bardock switched to using "watashi" when becoming masked (which honestly I don't know if he did or not), I think Masked Goku Black is Masked Goku Black as expected.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:51 pm

Alruneia wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:40 pm The new masked saiyan uses "watashi" when he talks about himself at the end of the episode, just like Goku Black does, while Bardock, as far as I'm aware, uses "ore". Unless Bardock switched to using "watashi" when becoming masked (which honestly I don't know if he did or not), I think Masked Goku Black is Masked Goku Black as expected.
Yep, Black uses "watashi" just like Zamasu, this is a highly-formal pronoun that denotes his true identity as the Supreme Kai Zamasu.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:39 pm

double post
Last edited by LoganForkHands73 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:39 pm

I dropped Dragon Ball Heroes around the episode where Dr. W fought Xeno Goku and Vegeta over lava, which was quite a while ago now (though I caught the more recent episode where Broly appears to fight both Vegettos, then laughed and promptly erased it from my memory banks). I had a few days off, so I thought what the hell, I might as well binge the rest, starting from the beginning of the Universe Creation arc and making my way back up to the current one.

Right off the bat, the UC arc is easily the worst the promo has offered yet. It's unbelievably disjointed, overstuffed with way too many unnecessary characters to keep track of, and above all, BORING. Heroes has often had issues with animating compelling fight scenes, though every once in a blue moon we do get a fairly outstanding one. Unfortunately, none came in this arc. It's all ki blast spamming, flat choreography and very occasionally a satisfying punch is thrown. I'm almost falling asleep over here.

There are far too many antagonists, all seemingly with different motivations that are poorly explored. Just by my conservative estimation, we have: Fu with his main plan to create a new universe with the Tree of Might Universe Tree; Towa and Mira working to give Fu the power of Mechikabura and make him the new king or whatever; Dr. W trying to resurrect Janemba for some reason; a bunch of miscellaneous non-canon villains like Tullece and Bojack hanging around doing very little; Z Broly who just bursts through a window randomly; Demigra and Rober who are just... there; Putine and Salsa who are more like anti-heroes now... I think that's almost everyone covered. I want to know how Tullece feels about Fu ripped off his original energy-sapping tree plot.

I fail to believe that the arcade game is really much better than this. We don't have access to it in the West anyway so it's a moot point, the promo anime is all we have. There's simply no way that all of this can work in one arc without being messy as hell. I get the feeling that Bamco were trying to make some kind of political drama between all the Demon Realm characters, but I have no idea who's supporting who or what's going on. What's tragic is that the arc had a somewhat promising start -- all the Hakaishin arrive on Earth and fight the gang over a misunderstanding, we have some charming antics with Goku and Tokitoki the bird. But it's Dragon Ball Heroes, you know that charm and humour ain't welcome here. Gotta go back to wanking Super Saiyan 4 like it's 1997.

The special side episode focusing on Beat and Note playing the arcade game was actually pretty good. A part of me wishes the whole show was about that. Having played the Nintendo Switch version of Heroes, it's nice to see the gameplay actually reflected in the show.

Now we come to the New Spacetime War arc. Interesting title. Like with the Universe Creation arc, we have a somewhat promising first episode. Seeing Hearts team up with Goku was actually a shocking development. Hearts is by far one of the better characters introduced in Heroes and the audience has reason to be invested in him. But seeing the schizophrenic trajectory of the last arc and the premise that this one will once again focus on Fu makes me very cautious. I actually quite like Fu but... how can I put it... he needs to just die already! He's been the antagonist of three arcs now. I wanna see Hearts punch him in his stupid monocle. Also, Freeza and Cooler seem to be there for the sake of being there, but it is kinda nice to see them work together for once.

It's funny how Heroes is now going for another "mysterious masked Saiyan" plot, now telegraphing Goku Black of all people. We'll see how that pans out...
Last edited by LoganForkHands73 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:16 pm

On a second watch, I think it's Black. Yes. Why no potara is something I cannot explain. When Trunks cut Zamasu in half after he defused, Black retained the earring.

Also, IIRC, the masked saiyan didn't speak, and seemed to be a pawn, this dude is calling the shots.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:56 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:16 pm On a second watch, I think it's Black. Yes. Why no potara is something I cannot explain. When Trunks cut Zamasu in half after he defused, Black retained the earring.

Also, IIRC, the masked saiyan didn't speak, and seemed to be a pawn, this dude is calling the shots.
Yeah which is why it led me to believe that this is Black surviving Hearts (as part of Merged Zamasu) and utilizing Fu's timebreaker means, to get revenge on Hearts. Zamasu isn't Turles or Bojack to be under the whim of a main villain, so him being the secondary boss kinda works ig.
P O W E R

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:05 pm

The last time in Heroes where a Zamasu tried to be the main boss, it didn't end well... let's hope Goku Black has more success than Fused Zamasu.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:00 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:16 pm On a second watch, I think it's Black. Yes. Why no potara is something I cannot explain. When Trunks cut Zamasu in half after he defused, Black retained the earring.

The masked saiyan, aka Masked Goku Black, did speak, otherwise I wouldn't be able to comment on the way he talks. The hooded warrior, who's a different character, is the one who hasn't spoken yet. As a note for the names:
- The character I'm calling "the masked saiyan" and "Masked Goku Black" is currently officially named The Red-Masked Saiyan, for obvious reasons.
- The character I'm calling "the hooded warrior" is currently only known as The Warrior Clad in Black. There's no mention of him being a saiyan, even if it is pretty likely.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:57 pm

I think that with "Masked Saiyan" they meant the Bardock version that was just merely Towa and Mira's enforcer.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:59 am

It definitely is Black. The way he talks, the color of his outfit and he also talks about a plan. Who else could it be?