What is your favorite gi for Son Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

What is your favorite gi for Son Goku?

Post by Analytic » Wed May 23, 2018 12:42 pm

What is your favorite gi that Goku wears throughout the whole series?

Beginning of Dragon Ball gi
[spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]

Red Ribbon and Piccolo Daimao arc gi
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

23rd TB, Saiyan, and Namek arc gi
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Cell and Boo arc gi
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

End of Z gi
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Resurrection F gi
[spoiler]Image
(not sure what happened to Whis's symbol here)[/spoiler]

Dragon Ball GT gi
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I didn't get too specific with the different kanjis Goku wears on his Saiyan and Freeza arc gi, but if you have a favorite, feel free to specify. My favorite would probably be his GT gi, I just with we could've seen some adult Goku in GT.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: What is your favorite gi for Son Goku?

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 23, 2018 12:49 pm

The flowy gi's are my favorites, so my top four are;

F dougi
Cold weather DBH dougi
EoZ dougi
GT dougi
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed May 23, 2018 12:56 pm

23rd TB- Freeza arc for me. I like how he looks with the weighted shirt + belt that is tied rather than tucked in.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Michsi wrote:23rd TB- Freeza arc for me. I like how he looks with the weighted shirt + belt that is tied rather than tucked in.
Yup. Classic look all the way.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 23, 2018 4:13 pm

I'd like to make a variation here: my favourite gi is the one Goku wears during the Red Ribbon/Daimao era... in the anime. I personally like the redder tones, no undershirt, black belt, and the yellow patch shading seen there, and by comparison the manga-accurate "Z-style" gi can often be shaded too bright like he's a construction worker. Plus of course the association with a core pillar of my nostalgic childhood, heheh.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed May 23, 2018 4:25 pm

The Saiyan/Namek arc gi.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Wed May 23, 2018 4:33 pm

I like Son Gokus turtle school Gis with kanjis the most, but as my favorite of them i would choose the "23rd Tenkaichi - training for the Cyborgs Gi" where I like the variant without the weights the most which looks for me the best, but the variant with undershirt, bracelets & boots is not bad either. As for the kanjis, i would say i like the "Kame Kaio" combi the most, since its a honor to both of his masters. After that comes the classic "Kame kanji" and then the "Go kanji", which is also not bad and a nice progression of this Gi.

As my second favorite i would choose the "21st Tankaichi - earthern Gods lookout Gi". Just the classic "Kame Gi" with just normal braclets and small shoes. I would have liked it, if Goku returned later in the Buu Arc to a adult sized version of this original "Kame Gi".

At third place, there is the "Go Kanji Gi" with the non ribbon belt from Battle of Gods/DB Super Anime. Its just the "Cell/Buu Arc Gi" with Kanji, but I prefer it that way, way more. Sadly this Gi didn´t apear in the original Series.

The fourth place would be a tie between the "Beginning, End of DB & GT Gi". I like it that Son Goku has in the beginning a different kanjiless Gi, before he is a turtle school pupil. I also like it that he has a kind of similar Gi at the end of the Story, which makes for a good bookend. His "GT Gi" is pretty much the same exept for the suddenly yellow pants.

The fith place goes to the "Resurection of F/Whis training Gi". At first I didn´t liked it, that the Gi from Battle of Gods was replaced with this one, but luckly the "BOG Gi" returned later. Its still a somewhat "turtle school styled Gi" and I like it that it got Whis symbol on it and that it looks kind of similar to the original "Kame Gi". But I miss the white circles for the symbol, and this Gi would rank higher if it still had those.

My least favorite is the "Cyborg - Kid Buu Battle Gi", which is a step backwards in my opinion from Gokus previous Gis. The alteration of the belt is okay, but the removel of the kanjis makes this variation of the "turtle school Gi", pretty much empty and removes mostly any uniqueness it had before. Its sadly the version of the "Kame Gi" that Son Gohan uses later on and its also a bummer that Toyotaro still uses this version for the DB Super Manga, instead of the superior "Go Kanji" variant from the Super Anime.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed May 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Analytic wrote: Resurrection F gi
[spoiler]Image
(not sure what happened to Whis's symbol here)[/spoiler]
Always my answer :P
Whis' mark was not there, because he hadn't yet drawn it on their outfits. After this training scene is over, they are sporting it.
Pisses me the fuck off, that Toriyama or whoever is obsessed with Goku's look from the Freeza Arc to the point they are willing to throw away the new for the old, yuck!
Dragon Ball Heroes at least does the outfit justice and found a way to work in a blue undershirt:
Press for bigger image

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:01 pm

GT > Red Ribbon/Piccolo > Cell/Boo > End of Z > Resurrection F > 23rd Tenkaichi/Saiyan/Namek > Beginning

I like them all, but my preferences are pretty clear.
I also really wish Super had stuck with the Resurrection F gi permanently after he switched to it in the RF arc; it was a really cool change-up, and it continues his trend of changing up his gi a little whenever he takes a new teacher, and aside from its colouring, it looks very similar to the "End of Z" gi, so it's a really cool setup for that.

I really love how the GT gi looks; it's basically a slight evolution of the "End of Z" gi, with most of the changes being to give it the unique GT flavour. In theory, the colours are really oddball choices, but surprisingly, they work perfectly. And I dunno if it's just me, but I always thought the look slightly harkens back to the beginning gi, which I thought was a nice touch, given the whole setup of GT's first arc.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed May 23, 2018 5:22 pm

The Boo arc one. And I love that great panel with a full shot of Gohan when he also gets it. I think the Kanji should not be on Goku's gi and you always notice it in the show that its is too much effort to draw it all the time when the part with the Kanji "suddenly" gets destroyed. I mean, there are shots of Goku's gi where exactl only that one back part is destroyed when it comes to the whole backside of his outfit. What a coincidence.

The only one I like more is Black's but he is an imposter, so ...
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Wed May 23, 2018 5:26 pm

dbgtFO wrote:Dragon Ball Heroes at least does the outfit justice and found a way to work in a blue undershirt:
Wow they also brought back the circles, its pretty much an improvement over the original version. I woulden´t mind if this version of "Whis Gi" would become Gokus regular uniform, minus the undershirt, since I prefer "Whis Gi" without it.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed May 23, 2018 5:58 pm

Analytic wrote:(not sure what happened to Whis's symbol here)
That shot is from before he signed on it.

My favourite is the one with the 'Go' kanji symbol.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed May 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Early adult Goku Gi (End of DB/Early DBZ)
GT Gi
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed May 23, 2018 7:34 pm

I always thought his blue outfit from the start of the series was cute. Didn't mind the 10th anniversary movie version either which I believe was also from GT.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 pm

I'm most partial to 23rd TB-Frieza era
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Gligarman wrote:I always thought his blue outfit from the start of the series was cute. Didn't mind the 10th anniversary movie version either which I believe was also from GT.
That's a bit of a trick answer! When Bulma first meets Goku, he's in the classic blue gi from the start of the story. However when he gets ready to head off with her, he changes into the GT outfit, with the pink wrist bands, lighter shirt, baggy yellow pants and different shoes.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed May 23, 2018 10:25 pm

From those, Movie 15 Goku has the best outfit. But my favorite is Xeno Goku's outfit.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:43 pm

Toss up for me between 23rd TB - Freeza and Cell - Boo.

That being said though, I genuinely like all of them. Goku's never really had a bad dogi design, ever. Can't think of any DB characters off the top of my head who have really.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 24, 2018 7:04 am

23rd BT/Saiyan/Namek gi is the one I've grown accustomed to. I really like all of Goku gi's, to be honest though.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 am

I like the Saiyan arc gi with the Kamesennin symbol on the front and Kaio-sama's symbol on the back.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.