Is It Time For A Redub? Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Is It Time For A Redub? Dragon Ball GT

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:54 am

NewKakarot wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
NewKakarot wrote:I think a GT redub isn't necessary when it's been pushed aside by the fans in favor of Super. Today, anyone new to GT would likely avoid it because of the notion that it's "not canon".

I would say re-dubbing Z is a better idea, but I guess they won't feel the need to that either because of Kai. But maybe they could tackle the movies again?
There’s no real reason why they would redub the old movies. Those are even less relevant at the moment than GT, especially now that two of the most marketable characters from the Toei movies (Broly and Gogeta) have now been integrated into the “canon” continuity. I suppose that if they really wanted to cash in on Broly’s popularity, they could reduce the original Broly trilogy, but as far as the movie dubs are concerned, those were some of the ones that FUNimation handled better than usual, or at least Movie 8 was.
Well, you're right honestly lol

But that also didn't stop them from dubbing Curse of the Blood Rubies like 7 years after dubbing Path to Power. That was also kind of irrelevant
In the case of Curse of the Blood Rubies, that movie had never received an in-house dub from FUNimation.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:03 am

ZodaEX wrote:I think a good compromise on this would be a partial re-dub of GT along with another partial re-dub of Z just to fix the worst of the worst, without it being so expensive that there would be no way Funimation wouldn't do it.
But that would only make it worse. The Z dub already had a partial redub on the orange bricks and its a mess all around starting from the Ultimate Uncut dub and then regressing back to a redub of the Freeza and Garlic Junior arcs with 1999 Schemmel interacting with 2007 Sabat who then slips back into his Drummond impression before progressing back to his slightly improved Buu arc performance.

If GT was to be redubbed it would have to be redubbed from the ground up or else all the effort would fall flat on the finished product.

For Z, the best compromise would be slapping on Kai's dub and redubbing to fill in the blanks, but even then 122 episodes would still be a huge commitment and expense Funimation isn't likely to go through with.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:11 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:For Z, the best compromise would be slapping on Kai's dub and redubbing to fill in the blanks, but even then 122 episodes would still be a huge commitment and expense Funimation isn't likely to go through with.
Well, the mouth flaps also wouldn't match because they were made for Kai, which edits the whole video. So really their only option is to redub the whole thing, which is even less likely

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:49 am

It's not worth the investment.

1) They give all the opportunities in the world for fans to watch the Japanese, subtitled version (every release, Funimation Now, Hulu, etc.) In today's world, it's a lot more common to watch the subtitled version.

2) They wouldn't strike a TV deal, which would make this release-only, so what would be the point? The die hard fans would mostly watch in Japanese anyway. I see dubbing being done for the more casual fans and they don't buy merchandise. I also see the dub as tnr gateway to hook a casual fan and make them interested in the story to become more of a fan, which a non-televised product wouldn't do.

3) The ship has sailed on GT with Super. What's even the point?

4) Whoever was going to watch GT already saw GT. What's the point of a redub now?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:19 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:It's not worth the investment.

1) They give all the opportunities in the world for fans to watch the Japanese, subtitled version (every release, Funimation Now, Hulu, etc.) In today's world, it's a lot more common to watch the subtitled version.

2) They wouldn't strike a TV deal, which would make this release-only, so what would be the point? The die hard fans would mostly watch in Japanese anyway. I see dubbing being done for the more casual fans and they don't buy merchandise. I also see the dub as tnr gateway to hook a casual fan and make them interested in the story to become more of a fan, which a non-televised product wouldn't do.

4) Whoever was going to watch GT already saw GT. What's the point of a redub now?
The ship has indeed already sailed. Nicktoons did air GT during the Kai era so if FUNimation had wanted to redub, it would have been back then. Weird they used the crappy Menza music but I guess that's what they were given to broadcast.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:54 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

The ship has indeed already sailed. Nicktoons did air GT during the Kai era so if FUNimation had wanted to redub, it would have been back then. Weird they used the crappy Menza music but I guess that's what they were given to broadcast.
Yes, i assume because of the network's standards FUNimation had to give Nicktoons an edited down version. So they simply just sent them the old version they had sitting in their archives that ran on Cartoon Network/Toonami back in 2003, horrible Step into the Grand Tour rap song and all.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:20 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

Funimation probably didn't see much benefit to creating an edited GT dub with the Tokunaga score so decided to just give Nicktoons what they had. Alternatively Nicktoons could have tried to acquire the Blue Water dub, but I don't think the idea of using an entirely different cast would have been appealing to them.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:41 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

Funimation probably didn't see much benefit to creating an edited GT dub with the Tokunaga score so decided to just give Nicktoons what they had. Alternatively Nicktoons could have tried to acquire the Blue Water dub, but I don't think the idea of using an entirely different cast would have been appealing to them.
Considering that Blue Water GT was really it's own thing produced for broadcast in Canada and the UK like their dub of the original DB series, i know they used FUNimation's scripts at times but in other instances they used their own entirely different ones that heavily diverged from FUNi's. Other than that FUNi really had no input in the creation of those or the later alternate DBZ dub with the Ocean Studios cast aka the Westwood Dub.

I believe FUNi would rather stick with the stuff that they personally produced, be it their old heavily altered in-house dubs or their more recent works.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:05 pm

I think you're thinking of Blue Water (Original) Dragon Ball. AFAIK, the only episode of BW GT that reused old scripts was the Vegeta clip show episode, where scenes that Westwood Z covered reused the Westwood Z script.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:04 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote: The ship has indeed already sailed. Nicktoons did air GT during the Kai era so if FUNimation had wanted to redub, it would have been back then. Weird they used the crappy Menza music but I guess that's what they were given to broadcast.
Considering that Blue Water GT was really it's own thing produced for broadcast in Canada and the UK like their dub of the original DB series, i know they used FUNimation's scripts at times but in other instances they used their own entirely different ones that heavily diverged from FUNi's. Other than that FUNi really had no input in the creation of those or the later alternate DBZ dub with the Ocean Studios cast aka the Westwood Dub.

I believe FUNi would rather stick with the stuff that they personally produced, be it their old heavily altered in-house dubs or their more recent works.
The Blue Water GT scripts were entirely original, produced by Blue Water, and they are very accurate, and generally well-written.

The Z flashbacks from the clip show episode centring on Vegeta had something up with them, I think based on Westwood Z scripts or something, but other than that...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

The Blue Water GT scripts were entirely original, produced by Blue Water, and they are very accurate, and generally well-written.

The Z flashbacks from the clip show episode centring on Vegeta had something up with them, I think based on Westwood Z scripts or something, but other than that...

Well i never have really seen that much of the Blue Water GT dub itself, so I was not aware that the scripts were completely different from the ones that FUNimation had used for their own GT dub. That is pretty interesting they went in their own direction for GT in comparison to their dub of the original series which seemed to halfway switch between re using FUNi's scripts for some episodes and original ones for other episodes.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:31 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
NewKakarot wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:There’s no real reason why they would redub the old movies. Those are even less relevant at the moment than GT, especially now that two of the most marketable characters from the Toei movies (Broly and Gogeta) have now been integrated into the “canon” continuity. I suppose that if they really wanted to cash in on Broly’s popularity, they could reduce the original Broly trilogy, but as far as the movie dubs are concerned, those were some of the ones that FUNimation handled better than usual, or at least Movie 8 was.
Well, you're right honestly lol

But that also didn't stop them from dubbing Curse of the Blood Rubies like 7 years after dubbing Path to Power. That was also kind of irrelevant
In the case of Curse of the Blood Rubies, that movie had never received an in-house dub from FUNimation.
Actually the real story is more odd. Early previews of the DVD criticized the included dub, so they threw together a redub using their modern cast, which is why the VAs for Goku and Bulma are the modern Kai ones.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:49 pm

KBABZ wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
NewKakarot wrote: Well, you're right honestly lol

Actually the real story is more odd. Early previews of the DVD criticized the included dub, so they threw together a redub using their modern cast, which is why the VAs for Goku and Bulma are the modern Kai ones.
Yeah, i read somewhere that early promotional materials for Movie 1's upcoming release did not hint that an uncut redub would be included. It seemed at first glance that they were simply going to re release the old edited FUNi/BLT produced dub with the Ocean Studios cast from 1995 along with the original Japanese version on another track. I'm pretty sure that Mike has mentioned that on one or more episodes of the podcast, it seems at some point during the year they decided to go ahead and give the movie a full proper redub with that small section of the DBZ Kai voices as they were still working on that at the same time.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:56 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Well i never have really seen that much of the Blue Water GT dub itself, so I was not aware that the scripts were completely different from the ones that FUNimation had used for their own GT dub. That is pretty interesting they went in their own direction for GT in comparison to their dub of the original series which seemed to halfway switch between re using FUNi's scripts for some episodes and original ones for other episodes.
Blue Water dubbed GT first, and did it before Funi did, so even if they wanted to reference existing material, they couldn't have.
For DB, Funi had already dubbed it years prior, so it was cheaper and easier to reference the Funi scripts, and just correct/alter from those as a base than to write entirely new scripts.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Actually the real story is more odd. Early previews of the DVD criticized the included dub, so they threw together a redub using their modern cast, which is why the VAs for Goku and Bulma are the modern Kai ones.
I read somewhere that early promotional material for Movie 1's release did not hint at an uncut redub would be included, as it seemed at first glance that they were simply going to re release the old edited FUNi/BLT produced dub with the Ocean Studios cast from 1995 along with the original Japanese version on another track. I'm pretty sure that Mike has mentioned that on one or more episodes of the podcast, it seems at some point during the year they decided to go ahead and give the movie a full proper redub with that small section of the DBZ Kai voices as they were still working on that at the same time.
I'm sceptical. They'd have had to include two entirely separate videos on the disc to do this, due to the way the '95 dub had been edited, and Funi had only somewhat recently got done redubbing and wiping out all traces of Ocean's dubbing in their mainline products, so I highly doubt they would have gone with the '95 dub.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:08 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Well i never have really seen that much of the Blue Water GT dub itself, so I was not aware that the scripts were completely different from the ones that FUNimation had used for their own GT dub. That is pretty interesting they went in their own direction for GT in comparison to their dub of the original series which seemed to halfway switch between re using FUNi's scripts for some episodes and original ones for other episodes.
Blue Water dubbed GT first, and did it before Funi did, so even if they wanted to reference existing material, they couldn't have.
For DB, Funi had already dubbed it years prior, so it was cheaper and easier to reference the Funi scripts, and just correct/alter from those as a base than to write entirely new scripts.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Actually the real story is more odd. Early previews of the DVD criticized the included dub, so they threw together a redub using their modern cast, which is why the VAs for Goku and Bulma are the modern Kai ones.
I read somewhere that early promotional material for Movie 1's release did not hint at an uncut redub would be included, as it seemed at first glance that they were simply going to re release the old edited FUNi/BLT produced dub with the Ocean Studios cast from 1995 along with the original Japanese version on another track. I'm pretty sure that Mike has mentioned that on one or more episodes of the podcast, it seems at some point during the year they decided to go ahead and give the movie a full proper redub with that small section of the DBZ Kai voices as they were still working on that at the same time.
I'm sceptical. They'd have had to include two entirely separate videos on the disc to do this, due to the way the '95 dub had been edited, and Funi had only somewhat recently got done redubbing and wiping out all traces of Ocean's dubbing in their mainline products, so I highly doubt they would have gone with the '95 dub.
1. I can see to an extent why they did that for OG Dragon Ball, it's better to just use what's already there rather than expending the extra time to create entirely new scripts from scratch. Though i have read about how they did at least have differences at points even though they pretty much used most of FUNi's scripts verbatim they did make some alterations at points.

2. I think if i heard correctly on the one podcast that Mike said it was the plan they were going to go with for the re release at first, although yeah it would have been very weird for them to do that because they had effectively long since cast aside the material dubbed with the Ocean Studios cast as of 2005 onward.

Still, it appeared that FUNi had not re dubbed the movie before 2010 due to the long standing sublicense thing with Lionsgate (Back when they were still known as Kidmark and later Trimark) which they held out unrelentingly on giving back to them until early/mid 2009.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:42 pm

I guess if GT got a redub, Pan would have a much better voice in Jeannie Tirado, who voices Baby Pan.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 pm

I've been watching GT with the english dub but japanese OST and have had no problems with the music and voices not mixing or whichever.

Sounded fine to me.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:19 pm

Kokonoe wrote:I've been watching GT with the english dub but japanese OST and have had no problems with the music and voices not mixing or whichever.

Sounded fine to me.
I do the same on my Z Dragon Boxes through the English track with Kikuchi music if i feel like watching the dub, mostly because i don't have that much of a nostalgic attachment to the Faulconer score even though that's what i saw when watching the show on Cartoon Network back in the early 2000's.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:23 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:I've been watching GT with the english dub but japanese OST and have had no problems with the music and voices not mixing or whichever.

Sounded fine to me.
I do the same on my Z Dragon Boxes through the English track with Kikuchi music if i feel like watching the dub, mostly because i don't have that much of a nostalgic attachment to the Faulconer score even though that's what i saw when watching the show on Cartoon Network back in the early 2000's.
Yeah in my point of view, you can put any music with any region of VA's and it's perfectly fine.

Though on another note, with Z I put on the Faulconer one cause it sounds fantastic to me, but with GT I switch to the Japanese score cause...the music in the english version there is really off. They got rid of Faulconer at this point and it's way too generic sci-fi for my tastes. It also helps GT JPN OST is godlike essentially.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:45 pm

Sounded fine to me.
Honestly, when watching the dub of GT with the Japanese OST, the only thing that really doesn’t mesh well is the narrator. If they had gotten Brice Armstrong to do the narration, they would’ve meshed fairly seamlessly.