Is It Time For A Redub? Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is It Time For A Redub? Dragon Ball GT

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:28 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:I've been watching GT with the english dub but japanese OST and have had no problems with the music and voices not mixing or whichever.

Sounded fine to me.
I do the same on my Z Dragon Boxes through the English track with Kikuchi music if i feel like watching the dub, mostly because i don't have that much of a nostalgic attachment to the Faulconer score even though that's what i saw when watching the show on Cartoon Network back in the early 2000's.
Yeah in my point of view, you can put any music with any region of VA's and it's perfectly fine.

Though on another note, with Z I put on the Faulconer one cause it sounds fantastic to me, but with GT I switch to the Japanese score cause...the music in the english version there is really off. They got rid of Faulconer at this point and it's way too generic sci-fi for my tastes. It also helps GT JPN OST is godlike essentially.
This is exactly what I do as well.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:50 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:I've been watching GT with the english dub but japanese OST and have had no problems with the music and voices not mixing or whichever.

Sounded fine to me.
Honestly, when watching the dub of GT with the Japanese OST, the only thing that really doesn’t mesh well is the narrator. If they had gotten Brice Armstrong to do the narration, they would’ve meshed fairly seamlessly.
On the last episode of Dragon Ball, GEEEEEEEEEE TEEEEEEEEEEE.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:14 pm

KBABZ wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:

Sounded fine to me.
Honestly, when watching the dub of GT with the Japanese OST, the only thing that really doesn’t mesh well is the narrator. If they had gotten Brice Armstrong to do the narration, they would’ve meshed fairly seamlessly.
Out of all the narrators in the old dub i always thought Armstrong was the best, i certainly thought he wasn't as over the top narmy as Kyle Herbert and especially Dale Kelly was.

I mean compare his narration in the original DB dub to the ridiculously cheesy WWF-esque stuff Kelly spouted in Z Season 3 such as "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOOOUSE!!!!!" :lol:
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:21 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Out of all the narrators in the old dub i thought Armstrong was the best, i certainly thought he wasn't as over the top narmy as Kyle Herbert and especially Dale Kelly was.

I mean compare his narration in the original DB dub to the ridiculously cheesy WWF-esque stuff Kelly spouted in Z Season 3 such as "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOUSE!!!!!"
I agree, Armstrong was able to feel like he was reading a storybook but without making it sound like we're tuning in to Blue's Clues, and when appropriate he was also quite solemn, like when Bora and Krillin and killed.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:27 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Out of all the narrators in the old dub i thought Armstrong was the best, i certainly thought he wasn't as over the top narmy as Kyle Herbert and especially Dale Kelly was.

I mean compare his narration in the original DB dub to the ridiculously cheesy WWF-esque stuff Kelly spouted in Z Season 3 such as "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOUSE!!!!!"
I agree, Armstrong was able to feel like he was reading a storybook but without making it sound like we're tuning in to Blue's Clues, and when appropriate he was also quite solemn, like when Bora and Krillin and killed.
Yes i definitely felt that he came much closer to how Joji Yanami had approached the narration in the Japanese version, which was IMO a big step up from what they did with Z especially in the Freeza through early Cell arcs with Kelly's over the top monster truck announcer/wrestling commentator voice.

There was just something about his narration that felt very natural when i was watching the OG Dragon Ball dub on TV as a kid, it wasn't some forced attempt at edgy hardcore-ness that the former two really played up in much of Z's dub.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:51 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:

Yes i definitely felt that he came much closer to how Joji Yanami had approached the narration in the Japanese version, which was IMO a big step up from what they did with Z especially in the Freeza through early Cell arcs with Kelly's over the top monster truck announcer/wrestling commentator voice.

There was just something about his narration that felt very natural when i was watching the OG Dragon Ball dub on TV as a kid, it wasn't some forced attempt at edgy hardcore-ness that the former two really played up in much of Z's dub.
What's your opinion of the Kai narrator? I think he works fairly well, he has some of the storybook qualities of Armstrong, but has a liiiitle bit of the extra edge that one would expect from Z.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:11 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: I agree, Armstrong was able to feel like he was reading a storybook but without making it sound like we're tuning in to Blue's Clues, and when appropriate he was also quite solemn, like when Bora and Krillin and killed.

What's your opinion of the Kai narrator? I think he works fairly well, he has some of the storybook qualities of Armstrong, but has a liiiitle bit of the extra edge that one would expect from Z.
I thought Doc Morgan was pretty great in Kai's dub and the more recent Z movies, definitely the best of both worlds in the case that he nails the laid back wise style of Yanami that Armstrong already had captured in the DB dub with some hints of edginess here and there. Though not veering to nearly the same level of meme worthy cheese that Kelly, Herbert and Andy Chandler had with their respective narrations in the Z and GT dubs.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:37 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:What's your opinion of the Kai narrator? I think he works fairly well, he has some of the storybook qualities of Armstrong, but has a liiiitle bit of the extra edge that one would expect from Z.
I thought Doc Morgan was pretty great in Kai's dub and the more recent Z movies, definitely the best of both worlds in the case that he nails the laid back wise style of Yanami that Armstrong already had captured in the DB dub with some hints of edginess here and there.
Awesome, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way! It is amusing though in Kai how he kinda has to rush through the title of the show, like "Dragonballzeekai!", haha.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Though not veering to nearly the same level of meme worthy cheese that Kelly, Herbert and Andy Chandler had with their respective narrations in the Z and GT dubs.
They're perfect for the direction FUNi was going for, particularly the GT narrator... but it's absolutely not the original tone, and when you swap back to the Japanese scores it's rather telling that, of all the voices in the dubs, they stand out the most.

Now that I say that, retaining the music for the original Dragon Ball dub likely influenced their direction for the narrator quite a bit!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:00 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:What's your opinion of the Kai narrator? I think he works fairly well, he has some of the storybook qualities of Armstrong, but has a liiiitle bit of the extra edge that one would expect from Z.
I thought Doc Morgan was pretty great in Kai's dub and the more recent Z movies, definitely the best of both worlds in the case that he nails the laid back wise style of Yanami that Armstrong already had captured in the DB dub with some hints of edginess here and there.
Awesome, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way! It is amusing though in Kai how he kinda has to rush through the title of the show, like "Dragonballzeekai!", haha.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Though not veering to nearly the same level of meme worthy cheese that Kelly, Herbert and Andy Chandler had with their respective narrations in the Z and GT dubs.
They're perfect for the direction FUNi was going for, particularly the GT narrator... but it's absolutely not the original tone, and when you swap back to the Japanese scores it's rather telling that, of all the voices in the dubs, they stand out the most.

Now that I say that, retaining the music for the original Dragon Ball dub likely influenced their direction for the narrator quite a bit!
Indeed, it seems by the time they got to producing Dragon Ball's dub at least they had more of a clue of what they were doing compared to when the in house cast first started. That includes retaining the original Japanese musical score rather than doing another hardcore replacement score a la Team Faulconer and in general the attempt to stay more faithful to the original even though they still had not reached the current Kai and onward level of dubbing at that point, now that said i personally rank the 2001-2003 DB dub quite a ways above their Z Season 3 dub from 1999. Even though it still has ample amounts of cringy jokes and typical of the time FUNi-isms in regard to names and such it was a marked improvement to a degree.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:30 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
WittyUsername wrote: Honestly, when watching the dub of GT with the Japanese OST, the only thing that really doesn’t mesh well is the narrator. If they had gotten Brice Armstrong to do the narration, they would’ve meshed fairly seamlessly.
Out of all the narrators in the old dub i always thought Armstrong was the best, i certainly thought he wasn't as over the top narmy as Kyle Herbert and especially Dale Kelly was.

I mean compare his narration in the original DB dub to the ridiculously cheesy WWF-esque stuff Kelly spouted in Z Season 3 such as "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOOOUSE!!!!!" :lol:
Personally, I have something of a soft spot for Kyle Hebert’s narration. He was no Brice Armstrong or Doc Morgan, but I sort of thought that his silly “epic voice guy” take had a charm to it. At the very least, he worked better than Dale Kelly and Andrew Chandler as the narrator.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:53 am

I didn't care for Kyle Hebert's narrator, since he was just imitating Dale Kelly who was a natural. I also enjoyed Doc Harris' work in the Ocean years.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:49 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Indeed, it seems by the time they got to producing Dragon Ball's dub at least they had more of a clue of what they were doing compared to when the in house cast first started. That includes retaining the original Japanese musical score rather than doing another hardcore replacement score a la Team Faulconer
Honestly I think that one was simply because it would have been cheaper than putting in their own score. The DB dub I think was FUNi retrying something not to tell the complete story but more to capitalize on Z, as it was reaching its crescendo at the Buu arc and FUNi must have known the less popular GT was right around the corner. So keeping the original score saved them cash there (as did reusing the VA for Goku's son as Kid Goku), but ironically it turned out a (slightly) more faithful product!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:05 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Indeed, it seems by the time they got to producing Dragon Ball's dub at least they had more of a clue of what they were doing compared to when the in house cast first started. That includes retaining the original Japanese musical score rather than doing another hardcore replacement score a la Team Faulconer
Honestly I think that one was simply because it would have been cheaper than putting in their own score. The DB dub I think was FUNi retrying something not to tell the complete story but more to capitalize on Z, as it was reaching its crescendo at the Buu arc and FUNi must have known the less popular GT was right around the corner. So keeping the original score saved them cash there (as did reusing the VA for Goku's son as Kid Goku), but ironically it turned out a (slightly) more faithful product!
I think that was actually a good move on FUNi's part to do that, because quite frankly i couldn't picture the whole original series with a replacement score. Yeah there was the previous dub of episodes 1-13 in 1995 that was done with the Ocean Group cast in conjunction with BLT Studios, though i don't really count that since it was so short lived.

On another note, i honestly thought that Nadolny worked much better as kid Goku in Dragon Ball than she did as kid Gohan in Z. She used almost the same voice for both though i think it definitely fit the former better.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:16 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:On another note, i honestly thought that Nadolny worked much better as kid Goku in Dragon Ball than she did as kid Gohan in Z. She used almost the same voice for both though i think it definitely fit the former better.
Haha, don't get me into this conversation again, I looooove Nadolny as Kid Goku (although we do appear to be in the minority).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:22 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:On another note, i honestly thought that Nadolny worked much better as kid Goku in Dragon Ball than she did as kid Gohan in Z. She used almost the same voice for both though i think it definitely fit the former better.
Haha, don't get me into this conversation again, I looooove Nadolny as Kid Goku (although we do appear to be in the minority).
Yes, i prefer her performance as kid Goku to Colleen Clinkenbeard's version even though she hasn't played the role a ton (with the exception of the DB Movie 1 redub and parts of Kai and recent video games) i thought she was really good as Gohan in Kai. Yeah she was using her standard boy voice which is basically just her Luffy from One Piece though it worked for the latter.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:07 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:1. I can see to an extent why they did that for OG Dragon Ball, it's better to just use what's already there rather than expending the extra time to create entirely new scripts from scratch. Though i have read about how they did at least have differences at points even though they pretty much used most of FUNi's scripts verbatim they did make some alterations at points.
It was rarely verbatim. Even the most similar lines were a little different. BW pretty much always rewrote the lines without changing the meaning, just to make them flow a bit better, and usually made corrections to the translation along the way.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:20 pm

KBABZ wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:

Sounded fine to me.
Honestly for me when he says that I almost feel like orgasming. Shit gets me going unf.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:45 am

Kokonoe wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
WittyUsername wrote: Honestly, when watching the dub of GT with the Japanese OST, the only thing that really doesn’t mesh well is the narrator. If they had gotten Brice Armstrong to do the narration, they would’ve meshed fairly seamlessly.
Honestly for me when he says that I almost feel like orgasming. Shit gets me going unf.
What does unf stand for? I don't know many of the acronyms for the Japanese version of Dragon Ball that are regularly thrown around here yet.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:09 am

Kokonoe wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

Sounded fine to me.
I do the same on my Z Dragon Boxes through the English track with Kikuchi music if i feel like watching the dub, mostly because i don't have that much of a nostalgic attachment to the Faulconer score even though that's what i saw when watching the show on Cartoon Network back in the early 2000's.
Yeah in my point of view, you can put any music with any region of VA's and it's perfectly fine.

Though on another note, with Z I put on the Faulconer one cause it sounds fantastic to me, but with GT I switch to the Japanese score cause...the music in the english version there is really off. They got rid of Faulconer at this point and it's way too generic sci-fi for my tastes. It also helps GT JPN OST is godlike essentially.
I was lucky enough to experience GT as a kid with the Tokunaga score as the Blue Water dub aired here in Ireland.

I came across the Funimation dub online years later and found it hard to get through full episodes with the Menza replacement score. I couldn't believe how poorly fit the score was for GT. It was so jarring and unprofessionally done. The Faulconer score didn't fit DBZ either but it was never that terrible.

It was nice that Funimation offered the option to watch GT's dub with the Tokunaga score on the green bricks. It made their dub a little more tolerable, although the voice acting still leaves a lot to be desired.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:15 am

How was the Faulconer score any more professional than Menza's?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.