Is It Time For A Redub? Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Is It Time For A Redub? Dragon Ball GT

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:57 am

KBABZ wrote:In Z Gohan called out Kamehameha when he was firing a Masenko. Isn't that on the same level as Dende running for a first-aid kit?
It's the same which is why so many fans were happy when they announced they'd re-dub things with Kai. You've also got Goku's speech against Freeza being completely different. That's also not taking into account the terrible acting in a good amount of Z.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:25 pm

KBABZ wrote:
sintzu wrote:
KBABZ wrote: For me it's not the worst whiff in the world.
It's pretty bad though as it created a plot hole and gave people (including myself) the impression that the original writers didn't know what they were doing.
At the same time, in Z Gohan called out Kamehameha when he was firing a Masenko. Isn't that on the same level as Dende running for a first-aid kit?
That was actually an instance where the Japanese made an error, and Funimation followed it at the time. They corrected in their 2005 dub
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:24 pm

sintzu wrote:
KBABZ wrote:In Z Gohan called out Kamehameha when he was firing a Masenko. Isn't that on the same level as Dende running for a first-aid kit?
It's the same which is why so many fans were happy when they announced they'd re-dub things with Kai. You've also got Goku's speech against Freeza being completely different. That's also not taking into account the terrible acting in a good amount of Z.
I dunno, personally I think people give the Japanese side of things a LOT more leeway when it comes to errors like this, while Funi gets it ten times worse because it's cool to hate them by default. Like, when Toei does it, it's "Oh, haha, amusing error! This is great trivia!", but when Funimation does it, it's "OMFG THEY RUINED IT THEY DON'T CARE".

That isn't meant to take away from all the shit Funi did do with flagrant script changes (it's why I prefer Kai, after all), but that doesn't mean there isn't a double-standard.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:42 pm

You must certainly arent a One Piece fan then. They (Those who like the dub) worship the ground Funimation walks while cursing Toei with a rage not before seen.

I like the dub for One Piece and the new crop of Dragon Ball dubs. Old School Funimation is insanely shitty to me.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:45 pm

I think its a good call.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:29 am

I will agree with a redub if only they bring back Stephanie Nadolny for GT Kid Goku. No offense to Colleen, I just never saw the appeal
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:21 am

The Patrolman wrote:I will agree with a redub if only they bring back Stephanie Nadolny for GT Kid Goku. No offense to Colleen, I just never saw the appeal
You make it sound like this is an unpopular opinion or like Colleen has some long history with the character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:45 am

The Patrolman wrote:I will agree with a redub if only they bring back Stephanie Nadolny for GT Kid Goku. No offense to Colleen, I just never saw the appeal
I can't agree with this at all. I don't think Colleen fits him either, but no, I can't stand Nadolny Goku. In my opinion there needs to be a complete recast. But then fans would be very upset.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:34 pm

Forte224 wrote:
I can't agree with this at all. I don't think Colleen fits him either, but no, I can't stand Nadolny Goku. In my opinion there needs to be a complete recast. But then fans would be very upset.
Fans are going to be upset regardless so they should just do what's best for the character.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:10 pm

sintzu wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Fans are going to be upset regardless so they should just do what's best for the character.
Yeah you're right. It was the same with Kai wasn't it? Even veterans like Sabat doing Vegeta and Piccolo were getting criticism from OG FUNi fans, claiming the original performances were legendary and the Kai ones were sub par. So, yeah, recast liberally I suppose.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:53 pm

It's a new page, so I think I can ask this again, here.

Would anyone here be willing to upload the GT Episode recaps? With the narrator's dark and brooding voice droning on against the happy, cheerful Japanese music? Not gonna lie; I'm always in the mood for a laugh :lol: !
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:41 pm

ABED wrote:
You make it sound like this is an unpopular opinion or like Colleen has some long history with the character.
Well from what I've seen here and I mind you just here I've seen nothing but praise from Colleen

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:42 pm

The Patrolman wrote:
ABED wrote:
Well from what I've seen here and I mind you just here I've seen nothing but praise from Colleen
I see the opposite when it comes to her Kid Goku.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:44 pm

ABED wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:
ABED wrote:You make it sound like this is an unpopular opinion or like Colleen has some long history with the character.
I didn't just mean her Kid Goku. I mean her Gohan and 18 too

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:47 pm

The Patrolman wrote:
ABED wrote:
The Patrolman wrote: Well from what I've seen here and I mind you just here I've seen nothing but praise from Colleen
Then yes, if we include those other roles, Colleen gets better reviews. I think that's fair since I think she's a far superior actress. Even if you don't agree that Colleen is good, that doesn't mean Nadolny is right for or good as Goku.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:54 pm

ABED wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:
ABED wrote:I see the opposite when it comes to her Kid Goku.
Then yes, if we include those other roles, Colleen gets better reviews. I think that's fair since I think she's a far superior actress. Even if you don't agree that Colleen is good, that doesn't mean Nadolny is right for or good as Goku.
I see your point. I'm more preferable for Nadolny portrayal than Colleen

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:41 pm

I think a good compromise on this would be a partial re-dub of GT along with another partial re-dub of Z just to fix the worst of the worst, without it being so expensive that there would be no way Funimation wouldn't do it.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:47 pm

I think a GT redub isn't necessary when it's been pushed aside by the fans in favor of Super. Today, anyone new to GT would likely avoid it because of the notion that it's "not canon".

I would say re-dubbing Z is a better idea, but I guess they won't feel the need to that either because of Kai. But maybe they could tackle the movies again?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:06 am

NewKakarot wrote:I think a GT redub isn't necessary when it's been pushed aside by the fans in favor of Super. Today, anyone new to GT would likely avoid it because of the notion that it's "not canon".

I would say re-dubbing Z is a better idea, but I guess they won't feel the need to that either because of Kai. But maybe they could tackle the movies again?
There’s no real reason why they would redub the old movies. Those are even less relevant at the moment than GT, especially now that two of the most marketable characters from the Toei movies (Broly and Gogeta) have now been integrated into the “canon” continuity. I suppose that if they really wanted to cash in on Broly’s popularity, they could reduce the original Broly trilogy, but as far as the movie dubs are concerned, those were some of the ones that FUNimation handled better than usual, or at least Movie 8 was.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:33 am

WittyUsername wrote:
NewKakarot wrote:I think a GT redub isn't necessary when it's been pushed aside by the fans in favor of Super. Today, anyone new to GT would likely avoid it because of the notion that it's "not canon".

There’s no real reason why they would redub the old movies. Those are even less relevant at the moment than GT, especially now that two of the most marketable characters from the Toei movies (Broly and Gogeta) have now been integrated into the “canon” continuity. I suppose that if they really wanted to cash in on Broly’s popularity, they could reduce the original Broly trilogy, but as far as the movie dubs are concerned, those were some of the ones that FUNimation handled better than usual, or at least Movie 8 was.
Well, you're right honestly lol

But that also didn't stop them from dubbing Curse of the Blood Rubies like 7 years after dubbing Path to Power. That was also kind of irrelevant