Is It Time For A Redub? Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Is It Time For A Redub? Dragon Ball GT

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:14 pm

ABED wrote:It's Toriyama's story and artwork that has captured people's imaginations, not a poorly produced dub.
I agree, but the music and dialogue changes didn't kill it. If anything it enhanced or added onto Toriyama/Toei's original work. FUNi's tone can't be *that* ill-conceived if it managed to do that. Sure, you're getting something significantly different, and while that can be problematic, it doesn't necessarily mean that Funimation's interpretation was "wrong" or failed.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:23 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
ABED wrote:It's Toriyama's story and artwork that has captured people's imaginations, not a poorly produced dub.
I agree, but the music and dialogue changes didn't kill it. If anything it enhanced or added onto Toriyama/Toei's original work. FUNi's tone can't be *that* ill-conceived if it managed to do that. Sure, you're getting something significantly different, and while that can be problematic, it doesn't necessarily mean that Funimation's interpretation was "wrong" or failed.
It didn't enhance. It clashed. DB is an inherently Asian story. You continue to imply that it's FUNimation's changes that allowed it to catch on, but given DB's ability to catch on everywhere it goes and pick up new fans all the time even after 30 years, the logical inference is Toriyama's story is what people are responding to even if changes are made. DB succeeded not because of funimation, but in spite of them. FUNimation's interpretation is wrong. Goku and his friends aren't The Justice League. They are martial artists trying to better themselves and face bigger challenges.

I know some people here don't like the GT dub because it made Goku into even more of a superhero. If that's true, that's a big problem.
Last edited by ABED on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:23 pm

I agree, It didnt "manage" anything. If anything the story wasnt enhanced but it was just so good that it managed to endure such modifications.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 pm

ABED wrote:
MyVisionity wrote:
It didn't enhance. It clashed. DB is an inherently Asian story. You continue to imply that it's FUNimation's changes that allowed it to catch on, but given DB's ability to catch on everywhere it goes and pick up new fans all the time even after 30 years, the logical inference is Toriyama's story is what people are responding to even if changes are made. DB succeeded not because of funimation, but in spite of them. FUNimation's interpretation is wrong. Goku and his friends aren't The Justice League. They are martial artists trying to better themselves and face bigger challenges.
I did not imply that DB succeeded because of FUNimation, but just like you said, in spite of it. Even if you argue that the story is "inherently Asian", which I'm not so sure about, that doesn't mean that FUNi's changes didn't enhance or build upon the original. Who says Goku and his friends can't be The Justice League? Or that the music and dialogue can't be Westernized? Martial artists fight for justice too. Yeah, the Z-Senshi aren't exactly the typical American superheroes, but that's an example of Funimation building upon the original work. Toriyama/Toei's version was one thing, Funimation's is another. That doesn't make it wrong, just different.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:00 pm

Who says Goku and his friends can't be The Justice League?
Toriyama. He intentionally wrote the characters to not be superheroes. It's not in the superhero genre. It's a Japanese story based on a Chinese genre, Wuxia or martial arts fantasy. With it comes very different tropes. Goku and his friends aren't a team out to save the world. They often put the world in danger for the sake of a fight. FUNimation's changes don't build upon the work. Their changes clash with the story. Goku lets enemies go to fight them later, not out of mercy. If you actually accept the idea that Goku was trying to save the world from the Cyborgs, letting Dr. Gero create them when he had ample warning is about the dumbest way to go about stopping them. However, stopping them wasn't his goal - fighting them was. Toriyama has explicitly stated that he didn't like Toei turning Goku into a righteous hero.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:16 pm

ABED wrote:
Who says Goku and his friends can't be The Justice League?
Toriyama. He intentionally wrote the characters to not be superheroes. It's not in the superhero genre. It's a Japanese story based on a Chinese genre, Wuxia or martial arts fantasy. With it comes very different tropes. Goku and his friends aren't a team out to save the world. They often put the world in danger for the sake of a fight. FUNimation's changes don't build upon the work. Their changes clash with the story. Goku lets enemies go to fight them later, not out of mercy. If you actually accept the idea that Goku was trying to save the world from the Cyborgs, letting Dr. Gero create them when he had ample warning is about the dumbest way to go about stopping them. However, stopping them wasn't his goal - fighting them was. Toriyama has explicitly stated that he didn't like Toei turning Goku into a righteous hero.
All of this is mostly true, but again, FUNimation's changes didn't stop the series from succeeding. That says to me that they didn't clash as much as you say they did. Goku and his friends aren't a team out to save the world, no. But they are a "team" so to speak, and they do usually end up saving the world, despite their intentions. FUNimation just built upon it, by adding in the part about righteous intentions. Just like Toei, Funimation added another layer to Toriyama's story.

I can understand arguing that Funimation's choice to re-imagine the series was wrong in and of itself, but to claim that their particular interpretation was wrong is a whole other thing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 pm

They didn't add complimentary layers. They are contradictory elements.
That says to me that they didn't clash as much as you say they did.
It just says that Toriyama's story shines through even when things are added to it that don't belong.