Who is the best Dad in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Who is the best Dad in Dragon Ball?

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:09 am

He is very much a villain at that point
Piccolo had already begun changing by that point, as proven by Raditz soul not being in limbo like it should've if Piccolo was still a demon. Gohan's kindness wouldn't have changed Piccolo Daimao.
What about his personality, about what makes him tick, and what it is that gets Gohan in a fightign mood.
So what if he is? If he's not in the fighting mood, why show up to the Cell Games? How is Goku supposed to get Gohan in the fighting mood? It doesn't matter what Gohan wants. He's the only one with the power to defeat Cell so it was innevitably going to boil down to Gohan.
Gohan doesn't get cold feet, though. He was never scared.
No, but he apparently needed to hear that some people can't be reasoned with and it's good to fight to protect the things you care about. You know, because several years of fighting the worst of the worst didn't drill that point home. So much so that he was trepident.
You could've always stopped continuing too. I like debating about stuff I like, and I'd rather flex my debate muscles on something light and inconsequential like Dragon Ball than something serious, since I never have fun with those.
Fair enough. I was enjoying this. I simply don't like when people try to put these back and forths on me. I know I get stuck in them a lot, but if you ever want to stop, just say you aren't interested anymore.

I think we can at least agree that neither Goku nor Piccolo are great fathers.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:42 am

ABED wrote:Piccolo had already begun changing by that point, as proven by Raditz soul not being in limbo like it should've if Piccolo was still a demon. Gohan's kindness wouldn't have changed Piccolo Daimao.
Still very much cruel and heartless.
So what if he is? If he's not in the fighting mood, why show up to the Cell Games? How is Goku supposed to get Gohan in the fighting mood? It doesn't matter what Gohan wants. He's the only one with the power to defeat Cell so it was innevitably going to boil down to Gohan.
Nobody is arguing that Gohan was the key to defeating Cell, what people are arguing here is Goku treating it all like a fun game and not understanding that Gohan doesn't see it like this.
No, but he apparently needed to hear that some people can't be reasoned with and it's good to fight to protect the things you care about. You know, because several years of fighting the worst of the worst didn't drill that point home. So much so that he was trepident.
He never tries to reason with Cell. He tried to threaten him. If anything he gets a bit too overconfident knowing he really does have the raw power to defeat him. That's why he tell Cell stuff "Just wait until I get really angry."

I think we can at least agree that neither Goku nor Piccolo are great fathers.
Nope, they are not.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:34 am

Is anyone going to define what makes a good dad?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:52 am

Nobody is arguing that Gohan was the key to defeating Cell, what people are arguing here is Goku treating it all like a fun game and not understanding that Gohan doesn't see it like this.
I get that, and the senzu thing is bad, but people have argued that Goku made Gohan fight Cell. I'm arguing that's not true. Because Gohan was the only one with the power to defeat Cell, there was no other choice. It had to come down to Gohan and Cell. Giving Cell the senzu is a seperate issue.
He never tries to reason with Cell. He tried to threaten him.
I was paraphrasing 16's words.
Is anyone going to define what makes a good dad?
Great question - part caretaker, part teacher, part drill sergeant. The job of a father is to give a child the tools they need to survive and reach independence. That includes being a role model so the child can see what it means to be a man. I don't mean that in the toxic masculine sense of "be a man". Probably not definitive, but it's the best I can come up with right now, and I don't think it's too bad.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Again, it's not about being a "good" dad, it's about the nature of the relationship lol

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:12 pm

I'd say Krillin or Gohan. Both are constructive members of society and put the well-being of their family above anything else.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Goku is a great dad, he cared for this kid in the only way he knew and he gave it his all, he also understood his kid found his own way and he respects that as well..
Now if we go for conventional good daddy characters, Gohan and Krillin have tie..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Simere wrote:Is anyone going to define what makes a good dad?

...Nope!

Just kidding! Great post!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: