"Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:14 pm

Honestly, I wasn't expecting the Dragon Ball Super movie to get a subbed release in US theaters, and I'm also expecting it to be a wider release than what these older films are going to receive. Multiple language screenings for a wide release could be pretty confusing for moviegoers, I get it.

That said, people have already seen these films, including Fusion Reborn dubbed in theaters! How excited could anyone seriously be for more English screenings of them? TV airings, home media releases, video games, merchandise, convention guests, everything relating to DBZ has been so dub-centric up until recently. On the surface, one would think that the Japanese version presents no boon to the series financially... Except for the North American Dragon Boxes. Damn, what a failure those were! Or how about the direction they took with Dragon Ball Z Kai? It's not like that series consistently pulled in great ratings across three different channels and demographics...

Or, we could go back even further. How about the Orange Bricks? Say what you want about the video quality and dishonest marketing, but at least they default to an audio track with the original Japanese music. Nobody would care about anything like that though, which is why Funimation definitely didn't prominently advertise that as a feature...

How about when the uncut DVD singles first featured Japanese audio at all? Nobody could have possibly picked those up for that very reason, you can't even see the Japanese track listed on the front of the covers, after all!

So, I have to ask... When has appealing to the subtitle demographic ever been a bane to Dragon Ball in America?

Edit: And before anyone wants to bring up the lukewarm sales of Kai on home video, spare me. As Lance Heiskell once pointed out, higher sales of the Orange Bricks were positively correlated with lack of (dub) fan interest in Kai. Once again, Funimation lost nothing by throwing us a bone.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:12 pm

For some reason Viz (seems so strange FUNi aren't even this involved) are promoting this theatrical run they posted a trailer:
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1037054248008077312

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:14 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:For some reason Viz (seems so strange FUNi aren't even this involved) are promoting this theatrical run they posted a trailer:
So, these are just FUNimation's Blu-ray footage and not Toei's new remaster? I'll pass.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:57 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:For some reason Viz (seems so strange FUNi aren't even this involved) are promoting this theatrical run they posted a trailer:
So, these are just FUNimation's Blu-ray footage and not Toei's new remaster? I'll pass.
That's been known for a while as Toei haven't released their version overseas yet.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:44 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
That trailer has been out for awhile now(before the remasters were even made available digitally) and was made by fathom events, not Toei.
These screenings are 100% using the new remasters. https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/statu ... 5524577280

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:27 am

Son Gara wrote:Guess if they aren't subbed we can always do what Mike did and listen to the Japanese track on headphones while the movie is playing lol.
Wouldn’t it be hard to hear over the metal bands blaring over the surround speakers? Also, I don’t want to support the English dub. And it would be awkward to have all those people around me watching a different movie than me. It was awkward enough when I laught out loud over a funny Jack moment in the new movie. I was the only person laughing, cuz clearly noöne else read Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, or even knew who he was.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:28 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Son Gara wrote:Guess if they aren't subbed we can always do what Mike did and listen to the Japanese track on headphones while the movie is playing lol.
Wouldn’t it be hard to hear over the metal bands blaring over the surround speakers? Also, I don’t want to support the English dub. And it would be awkward to have all those people around me watching a different movie than me. It was awkward enough when I laught out loud over a funny Jack moment in the new movie. I was the only person laughing, cuz clearly noöne else read Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, or even knew who he was.
They'll be screening them with the Japanese soundtrack. And the dub for Broly is pretty damn accurate, pretty much 1:1 most of the time. The Bardock dub stinks though.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:56 am

TheQuazz wrote:They'll be screening them with the Japanese soundtrack. And the dub for Broly is pretty damn accurate, pretty much 1:1 most of the time. The Bardock dub stinks though.
The Japanese soundtrack? That's weird. I feel like that'll anger quite a few fans...
I'm assuming the dub isn't as good as FUNi's dub of Super... And I already can't stand their dub of Super. Thank you, tho. But feel free to let me know if I'm wrong in my assumption.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:01 am

TheQuazz wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:
They'll be screening them with the Japanese soundtrack. And the dub for Broly is pretty damn accurate, pretty much 1:1 most of the time. The Bardock dub stinks though.
Makes sense. Everything dubbed nowadays uses the original music than tacky replacement rock/electronic music.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
TheQuazz wrote:They'll be screening them with the Japanese soundtrack. And the dub for Broly is pretty damn accurate, pretty much 1:1 most of the time. The Bardock dub stinks though.
The Japanese soundtrack? That's weird. I feel like that'll anger quite a few fans...
I'm assuming the dub isn't as good as FUNi's dub of Super... And I already can't stand their dub of Super. Thank you, tho. But feel free to let me know if I'm wrong in my assumption.
You're right on both points. The dub although accurate, was done 10+ years before Super so the acting isn't as good and some fans will undoubtedly be upset about the lack of an English soundtrack. I'm happy they're going with the Japanese soundtrack cause that's how it was meant to be seen and gives a better representation of the movie than the English one did.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:09 pm

sintzu wrote:You're right on both points. The dub although accurate, was done 10+ years before Super so the acting isn't as good and some fans will undoubtedly be upset about the lack of an English soundtrack. I'm happy they're going with the Japanese soundtrack cause that's how it was meant to be seen and gives a better representation of the movie than the English one did.
It's the standard now. If you watch Dragon Ball Z on Microsoft or other digital platforms, it'll be with the original Z music than the replacement US score.

The old FUNimation fans have gotten used to the authentic soundtrack by now, taking into account Kai uses pieces of it.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:56 am

sintzu wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:
You're right on both points. The dub although accurate, was done 10+ years before Super so the acting isn't as good and some fans will undoubtedly be upset about the lack of an English soundtrack. I'm happy they're going with the Japanese soundtrack cause that's how it was meant to be seen and gives a better representation of the movie than the English one did.
To be honest, while I don’t support the use of replacement scores, if you absolutely had to go with the rock music treatment for any of the Dragon Ball movies, the Broly movies are probably the most appropriate, considering the kind of character that Broly is.

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Post by jpranevich » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:40 am

Is anyone concerned about what the Bardock re-release means for the 2018 Broly movie?

Fandom seems convinced that two of the movies mean that we'll have a fusion (Gogeta?) in the Broly film, plus of course Broky himself. So what does including the Bardock special (which was never a theatrical release in Japan) mean? Are we going to get a canon Bardock somehow being involved in Broly's childhood? Do we have something crazier like a time-traveling Bardock? Do we get an animated scene from Dragon Ball Minus as some sort of bonus? How does the TV special connect?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:50 am

Fathom but up a clip yesterday and it confirms that it will be the Japanese music playing with the dub. Can’t wait to hear Cha-La Head Cha-La on the big screen.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:42 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Fathom but up a clip yesterday and it confirms that it will be the Japanese music playing with the dub. Can’t wait to hear Cha-La Head Cha-La on the big screen.
The only time CLHCL played with the FUNi dub was on the Dragon Box Z, everywhere else with its replacement music but they might be able to swap it with FLOW's version.

Not sure why ya'll are so shocked and surprised about the fact that the original music is used on the English dub of FUNimation, it has been this way for ages now. And on digital streaming services it's the original music and nothing else, IIRC.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:57 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:Fathom but up a clip yesterday and it confirms that it will be the Japanese music playing with the dub. Can’t wait to hear Cha-La Head Cha-La on the big screen.
The only time CLHCL played with the FUNi dub was on the Dragon Box Z, everywhere else with its replacement music but they might be able to swap it with FLOW's version.

Not sure why ya'll are so shocked and surprised about the fact that the original music is used on the English dub of FUNimation, it has been this way for ages now. And on digital streaming services it's the original music and nothing else, IIRC.
Nope, Movies 3, 4, 6-9 & the Bardock Special have it too. I have the DVDs to confirm this.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Link?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:14 pm

jpranevich wrote:Is anyone concerned about what the Bardock re-release means for the 2018 Broly movie?

Fandom seems convinced that two of the movies mean that we'll have a fusion (Gogeta?) in the Broly film, plus of course Broky himself. So what does including the Bardock special (which was never a theatrical release in Japan) mean? Are we going to get a canon Bardock somehow being involved in Broly's childhood? Do we have something crazier like a time-traveling Bardock? Do we get an animated scene from Dragon Ball Minus as some sort of bonus? How does the TV special connect?
The connection is Planet Vegeta, that has been confirmed so more than likely we will see Bardock in past flashbacks as well (probably as you suggest a minor telling of DB Minus too).

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:34 pm

DHM211 wrote:
Link?
https://www.facebook.com/FathomEvents/v ... 099856676/

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:21 pm

It’s of course no surprise that the dubs will come with the Japanese music, since outside of including the dub music as an optional choice, the Japanese music has always been the default option that FUNimation has gone for with their dubs. With that being said, I wouldn’t count on Cha La Head Cha La being used. Even with the Japanese music for the movies themselves, they’ll most likely use the Mark Menza theme for the opening.