Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Xeogran
I Live Here
Posts: 2031
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:27 am

Bullza wrote:There is no character in this franchise worse than GT Pan.
Oh great. So this is turning out to be "Let's hate on Pan: The Thread".

I understand I won't change anyone's opinion, but people should realize she was a 9 year old schoolgirl. She was raised in peaceful times at that, so I don't get why were people expecting Teen Gohan out of her.

And before you bring EoZ Pan's cheerfulness, at that time she was only 4, didn't have to deal with any problems, AND her respected grandpa wasn't turned into a little kid.

I personally loved how she was different to other DB kids. I mean if she stayed the happy-go-lucky kid from EoZ, wouldn't that make her just another Goten? GT Pan showed a lot of emotions through the series, which I greatly appreciate.

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:04 am

Xeogran wrote:Oh great. So this is turning out to be "Let's hate on Pan: The Thread".

I understand I won't change anyone's opinion, but people should realize she was a 9 year old schoolgirl. She was raised in peaceful times at that, so I don't get why were people expecting Teen Gohan out of her.
If they wanted to make a character that was a bit different that would be fine, no problem. However the whole "she acts like this because..." doesn't really matter because in the end they still created an horrifically bad character either way.

She was such a bad character that the best portions of the show were literally when she wasn't really around as much. She was just utterly obnoxious and did nothing but complain and shout which would be annoying in itself but she complains even when there's nothing to complain about. Giru would locate a Dragon Ball after having already located several other Dragon Balls for them successfully, but then when he points out that it was in a place that would appear impossible perhaps like the sea or underground then she'd complain yet again.

If anything she should have been like Videl who was a good character but no she was constantly annoying. She had a big negative impact on the show as a whole.

User avatar
Xeogran
I Live Here
Posts: 2031
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:22 am

Bullza wrote:
If anything she should have been like Videl who was a good character but no she was constantly annoying. She had a big negative impact on the show as a whole.
Not for me. Pan brought more to the plot than Videl ever did. In BoG she was the reason for Goku becoming God, as she was in GT with SSJ4.

Is complaining about random stuff the only argument against her you have? Bulma did the same in DB many times before. It's supposed to be in fun nature, not something to take seriously.
Bullza wrote:because in the end they still created an horrifically bad character either way.
Each to their own. I liked her because she was a good girl at heart. Whenever a threat came up she tried to fight and not stay on the sidelines like Videl, who to you is appearently a good character for doing mostly nothing for the entire series.

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:07 am

Xeogran wrote:Not for me. Pan brought more to the plot than Videl ever did. In BoG she was the reason for Goku becoming God, as she was in GT with SSJ4.

Is complaining about random stuff the only argument against her you have? Bulma did the same in DB many times before. It's supposed to be in fun nature, not something to take seriously.
Well yeah I mean Pan was the main character after Goku. Videl was just one of the many main characters during a couple of the sagas.

Bulma did complain a lot but it wasn't a constant thing and it was over things that were more warranted. The circumstances were also pretty funny like Goku coming out of the bathroom casually with no clothes on or him taking off her underwear without her knowing. Pans complaining is just groan worthy.

But no that's not the only reason she sucks though the complaining is a big part of her character so it's kinda reason enough.

She's useless. For such a main character she did very little of any significance. Infact she would often make situations even worse like going off into the desert alone or ending up being absorbed by Luud and Rage Shenron. Making Goku come to his senses was about it. Otherwise she spent a lot of time knocked out or crying over other people.

She has no memorable moments as a character. All your favourite characters have a cool moment that you remember that could be an iconic scene. Pan never has one. She never has a good fight scene nor was she ever significant in any of the major battles involving Baby Vegeta, Super 17 and Omega Shenron.

Also as a dub thing at least, she has very annoying voice and a lot of cringey dialogue.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:08 am

Pan is annoying in dub, but watching english dub doesn't really count as watching GT and doesn't give right to say Pan is bad character, because dub itself is awful.
You don't hate Pan, you hate FUNimation Pan.

And she has a lot of memorable moments to me.
Also, for a character in 64 episode long series, she got a lot of character development.

She is obviously mix of Videl, Gohan and ChiChi, so you have to like them in first place to like Pan.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6481
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:20 am

Xeogran wrote:
Bullza wrote:There is no character in this franchise worse than GT Pan.
Oh great. So this is turning out to be "Let's hate on Pan: The Thread".

I understand I won't change anyone's opinion, but people should realize she was a 9 year old schoolgirl. She was raised in peaceful times at that, so I don't get why were people expecting Teen Gohan out of her.

And before you bring EoZ Pan's cheerfulness, at that time she was only 4, didn't have to deal with any problems, AND her respected grandpa wasn't turned into a little kid.

I personally loved how she was different to other DB kids. I mean if she stayed the happy-go-lucky kid from EoZ, wouldn't that make her just another Goten? GT Pan showed a lot of emotions through the series, which I greatly appreciate.
The hate Pan gets on this thread is no worse than the hate that other characters mentioned get. You're totally within your rights to like Pan or think she's a good character but people are allowed to have the opposite position just as long as they can backup their stances.

But for my opinion on GT Pan... she's a useless character who adds nothing to the story (but then again, who isn't besides Goku or Vegeta during the last arc in GT?) and a spoiled brat. She's like Jade from Jackie Chan Adventures only not witty, charming, or having moments that proves her worth to the team. In fact, most of time she tries to get into the action she's either taken down in the most pathetic ways (she once was even knocked out by fucking debris) or gets captured and has to be rescued by Goku... or Giru (who she regularly beats on both physically and verbally for essentially breathing).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17940
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:12 am

I should dislike Pan, but her age and love for her grandpa take some of the edge off. I wish her arc had been more complete and she wasn't always the damsel. The writers explicitly used her as a character Goku could constantly save.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:04 pm

I can't hate Pan after finding out how badly the writers fucked her over to give Goku something to do. That was a travesty. But even with what she was given I don't think she's that bad.

I really don't care for Spopovitch and Yamu or that priest guy from Broly Second Coming/Bio-Broly.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1110
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:12 pm
Location: Zambia, Southern Africa

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Zamasu is my least favourite character in the DB saga.

He's far too overpowered even by DB standards (he pulled various powers out of his ass and took Zeno to erase him), he didn't need Black Goku or Goku at all since he's a god already, and he proved his hypocrisy by killing his own brother gods.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:31 pm

I loathe Gotenks. His jokes aren't funny, his shtick is insufferable, he's responsible for the Buu arc dragging out the way it did, he was a load of buildup for nothing, he's the reason Goten and Trunks will never be relevant again and he got Bulma killed.

Think about that; she's only died once in the whole series and it was because her son was a screwup who wanted to show off for a crowd of just Piccolo. That's pretty bad.

User avatar
DestructoDisc
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I loathe Gotenks. His jokes aren't funny, his shtick is insufferable, he's responsible for the Buu arc dragging out the way it did, he was a load of buildup for nothing, he's the reason Goten and Trunks will never be relevant again and he got Bulma killed.

Think about that; she's only died once in the whole series and it was because her son was a screwup who wanted to show off for a crowd of just Piccolo. That's pretty bad.
Yeah I never really liked Gotenks either because of that.

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by coola » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:50 am

Super Goku - He become so childish and annnoying i've stopped watching this series regulary, hoping for new main character :)
Anime Chi-Chi - Annoying soccer mom that everyone is afraid of never was funny for me in tv series, its not funny here either
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by GT_Goten10 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:45 am

Gotenks,Freezer,Broly,Jiren,Vegeta(DBS)
GT Fighter

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17940
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:46 am

Chichi hands down.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6481
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:25 pm

ABED wrote:Chichi hands down.
You already stated this.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17940
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:25 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:Chichi hands down.
You already stated this.
Whoops, my bad.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Sin
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: England

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by Sin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Probably Goten, I really don't see his relevance or what he adds to the story, but at the same time he is thrown in my face more than other characters I dislike so he would have to be my least favorite. There is probably someone I dislike more but I am struggling to think of them!

User avatar
KeKeKe
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by KeKeKe » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:39 pm

The only Dragon Ball characters that I truly hate are Van Zant (the guy who shot Majin Buu's puppy) and his servant Smitty. Shooting Bee and Mr. Satan was terrible indeed, but that scene when they both shot a random elderly couple just for fun is the worst thing to ever come out of Dragon Ball! :sick:

I really wonder how can people hate characters like Pilaf, Gotenks, Pan, Chichi or Monaka when these two pieces of garbage are around...

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17940
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:43 pm

KeKeKe wrote:The only Dragon Ball characters that I truly hate are Van Zant (the guy who shot Majin Buu's puppy) and his servant Smitty. Shooting Bee and Mr. Satan was terrible indeed, but that scene when they both shot a random elderly couple just for fun is the worst thing to ever come out of Dragon Ball! :sick:

I really wonder how can people hate characters like Pilaf, Gotenks, Pan, Chichi or Monaka when these two pieces of garbage are around...
It was sick but I like that scene where the elderly couple is shot because of how heartbreaking it is. It's amazing, those deaths and Bee getting shot are more affecting than many fictional deaths. Buu killing whole planets isn't half as emotional as those deaths.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Logania
Regular
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 am

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by Logania » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:10 pm

Damn, it's a hard choice between Gotenks or Good Buu.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Post Reply