Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:40 pm

KeKeKe wrote:The only Dragon Ball characters that I truly hate are Van Zant (the guy who shot Majin Buu's puppy) and his servant Smitty. Shooting Bee and Mr. Satan was terrible indeed, but that scene when they both shot a random elderly couple just for fun is the worst thing to ever come out of Dragon Ball! :sick:

I really wonder how can people hate characters like Pilaf, Gotenks, Pan, Chichi or Monaka when these two pieces of garbage are around...
Can't be helped when you're supposed to hate them (mostly Van Zant).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

KeKeKe

Post by KeKeKe » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:13 pm

ABED wrote:
KeKeKe wrote:The only Dragon Ball characters that I truly hate are Van Zant (the guy who shot Majin Buu's puppy) and his servant Smitty. Shooting Bee and Mr. Satan was terrible indeed, but that scene when they both shot a random elderly couple just for fun is the worst thing to ever come out of Dragon Ball! :sick:

I really wonder how can people hate characters like Pilaf, Gotenks, Pan, Chichi or Monaka when these two pieces of garbage are around...
It was sick but I like that scene where the elderly couple is shot because of how heartbreaking it is. It's amazing, those deaths and Bee getting shot are more affecting than many fictional deaths. Buu killing whole planets isn't half as emotional as those deaths.
You're absolutely right on that one. The emotional impact is indeed much different when you compare both situations.

Van Zant shot Mr. Satan as revenge for beating him up earlier and Bee as a way of provoking Majin Buu, but that elderly couple just for fun was even worse!

On second thought, Babidi and Commander Red were also big jerks who had no compassion for others at all and, by constantly humiliating even their most faithful servants (Majin Buu and Officer Black, respectively), had their deaths coming to them.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:46 am

It's not just that, but because it's two people and not a large crowd, there's something that feels more concrete about it. Then you combine that with the little touches like the old man reaching for his wife as he dies but can't reach her. That tugs on the heartstrings. I also think the real world nature of it being a gunman and not some mystical way has a potent effect.

So I hate Van Zandt, but in the way you hate a good villain, not in a "this character makes me want to turn off the TV" way. When I think of least favorite characters, I think of characters that bug me or bore me (e.g. Chichi, Dawn from Buffy, Tom and Jean Ralphio from Parks and Rec)
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:42 am

Entire franchise? Well, to make things fair I'll do categories.

Dragon Ball / Dragon Ball Z
Master Roshi because his scenes are just uncomfortable. When he's not being really disgusting he's a likable character.
Uub is just rather boring to me to be quite honest. A far cry from Majin Buu.
Goten is practically a worthless character and was unnecessary.

Dragon Ball Super
Android 17 because he's just too "perfect" in a sense, he always has some kind of answer for everything in terms of dialogue or combat, and he was pushed to absurd levels.
Caulifla because she takes the worst aspects of Vegeta and Goku without any of the good. Really annoying character and her design is too frail which I don't like.
Kale because she is like 10 seconds of Broly fan service which amounts to nothing and her only personality is that she wants Caulifla's bod. Boring.
Zeno is really annoying, and double the Zeno made it even worse. I hate all the times in ToP that it keeps panning to their stupid little reactions, it gets so irritating "OOO~! WOOOOW~!". Like jesus christ you don't have to sell people on the show they're already watching.
Goku Black because he's just edgelord Goku with scythes, stabbing himself, being well, dark. Not a fan of this at all, and I especially hate how they gave a false sense of who he is to make it a unfairly and poorly written mystery. When other characters body swapped their voices were entirely the original voice just in the new body with Captain Ginyu. However, with Zamasu getting Goku Black's body, he had the voice of Goku but just talked edgy instead, all to mask who he was which is a very poor way to tell a story and is so artificial.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:05 am

Kokonoe wrote:[snip]
That's a good idea. I'm going to steal it. :D

Original run (1984-1997)
Doltakki - If you don't understand why, I don't think I want to explain this. :lol:
Mr. Satan's crew from the Cell games - They're all kind of obnoxious and annoying, and I realise that was kind of the point, but like with Doltakki, even if the whole point is that they're kind of awful, if that makes them really annoying and uncomfortable to watch, I think that is a failure of characterisation.
The two Red Ribbon soldiers who try to assault Bulma - I don't know what Toriyama or the anime staff or whoever came up with this scene were thinking, but this ordeal is nigh-unwatchable, and these two are the worst.

Revived run (2008-present)
Champa - Annoying, entitled brat. Only good things he brings are his back-and-forths with Beerus and Vados.
Cabba - Totally boring.
Kale - "oh look i'm just a petite little scaredy-cat but then i hulk out" is her entire character. There is nothing more to her.
Hit - "Character" is used in the loosest sense of the word, here. I'm not actually sure there even is any character here; he's just "strong boi for goku to fihgt this arc".
Jiren - Ditto.
Merged Zamas - All of the parts of Zamas and Goku Black that weren't interesting, without any of the parts that were, and with an ugly design to boot.
Burdock - The ultimately insignificant yet fierce warrior who inverted all stereotypes and expectations of who a Dragon Ball protagonist can and should be is thrown aside in favour of "look at legndary super saiyan man goku dad boi good guy man"
Vegeta - A shallow cardboard cutout of the deep, complex character he once was. Pretty much everything that's happened to him since the tournament in the Boo arc has been totally discarded, but not even the character development that's lead him to that point has been respected to any reasonable degree, leaving him a somewhat flanderised mixture of him has he was before fighting semi-perfect Cell and him as he was during the training for the Boo arc tournament. Flanderisation is the only word to describe the disservice done to one of Dragon Ball's finest characters.
Goku - Speaking of flanderisation, here we have one of the people who actually changed very little over the original run, essentially remaining the same person but just maturing in some ways over time. In Super, all of that is kind of discarded and his entire character is considered secondary to jokes about "lol goku stupid", and cheap ways of moving the plot forward. In the Boo arc, Goku would have never, ever in a million years gone to Zeno and pushed for the tournament of power. He wouldn't have even dreamed of hiring an interdimensional assassin to try to kill him just for the sake of a good fight. Despite all the "lol goku bad father" jokes that go around, Goku has always been a loving father who would always put his sons before himself. He straight-up threw in the towel when fighting Cell so Gohan could unleash his true potential, he didn't use Super Saiyan 3 to try and fight Majin Boo on his own, he trained Goten and Trunks to fuse instead. When offered the chance to fight Vegeta in the Boo arc, any potential excitement of the event was totally outweighed by the horror of the depths Vegeta had sunk to for this to happen, and the atrocities Vegeta was committing to innocent people, and his blatant disregard for his loving family... And that's just the obvious stuff about his love for his sons; I haven't mentioned Chichi, and how he devoted himself to her and their newly-born son Gohan for the early years of Gohan's life, pretty much entirely retiring from fighting for most of the time between the defeat of Piccolo Jr. and the arrival of Raditz. Super Goku wouldn't have done this in a million years, he'd be standing around complaining the whole time, and totally failing to actually take part in raising their son.
Ultimately, Goku is a family man. Even if he's not the greatest father there ever was, it's clear that he always tried to the best of his ability, and took pride in everything about his two sons. And yet, in Super, Goku forgets he has a second son, he risks destruction of all of reality for the sake of having his first decent fight since Goku Black or that filler episode that was probably only a few weeks prior in in-universe time... Essentially, they've turned Goku into the exact thing Vegeta learned to grow out of during his character arc in the Cell and Boo arcs, the very thing that drove Vegeta to let himself fall under Babidi's spell, to Goku's horror at the time... They've basically done the exact same thing to Goku that they've done to Vegeta, except Goku was never like this. In other words, Goku isn't just flanderised, but essentially, he's become little more than a simulacrum.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:48 am

The two Red Ribbon soldiers who try to assault Bulma - I don't know what Toriyama or the anime staff or whoever came up with this scene were thinking, but this ordeal is nigh-unwatchable, and these two are the worst.
They were thinking they want to put Bulma in danger and make the audience fear for her safety. It's supposed to feel uncomfortable. It's not like when Muten Roshi does it. He was a good guy doing an awful thing. They are bad guys trying to do bad things.

Dolltaki makes me uncomfortable, but he's supposed to, so mission accomplished.

If Mr. Satan didn't develop in the next arc, he'd be high on my list of annoying characters. His shtick in the Cell arc wears thin very fast. However, because of his evolution in the Buu arc, his antics in the previous arc are almost charming. It's like Andy from The Office.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:24 pm

Chi-Chi, Mr Satan (pre-friendship with Boo, but still pretty annoying), Master Roshi when he's perving out (otherwise he's one of my favourite characters), and Goten. Why does everyone hate Pilaf? He's one of my favourite characters.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:05 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:

Can't be helped when you're supposed to hate them (mostly Van Zant).
Look, evil by nature or manipulation is tolerable or even acceptable. In some work of fiction, it has crafted some of the most memorable villains. Joker (DC), Thanos (MCU), our very own Piccolo Daimou, Cell, Pure Boo. Van Zant falls under that category. Just like how life isnt all bright & sunshine, mankind arent all good & innocent like Z-fighters & Mr. Satan by a stretch.

There will be twisted & corrupted beings which was major reason why Kami & Daimou split ages ago remember? So evil was prevalent on Earth all along. Van Zant was just speck of dust & Smitty was manipulated via...Stockholm Syndrome perhaps?

But being stupid by choice or for the sake of it is unacceptable. Its morbid. Puke-inducing. Which is what Monaka, Champa, Jiren, literally 99% of Super characters are.

Gotenks is comedy-piece character. He would've been funny gag character in DB but in Z, dat too in Boo Arc with its tonal inconsistencies was what made him polarizing character

Videl all along has been neutral character for me. To those that find Videl, Chichi, Bulma or ANY female character from DB to be annoying, they gotta watch Haruhi Suzumiya, Sakura, Amane Misa, Inoue/Kurosaki-kun bimbo from Bleach....gosh....those are frickin annoying biyotches...not DB female casts okay?

Guess I've said enuf of Super characters

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:56 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Well IT IS not the duty of a Kai to intervene and all Kais will agree with that, not only Gowasu lol
A flawed system. Merely to watch is a sin too. Imagine if you had the power to stop evil, but chose not to do anything because your law compels you to inaction. You are committing a crime too.

Zamasu had the right idea in that regard. No Gods of Creation. No Gods of Destruction. No petty squabbles between Gods. Only a single, Supreme God who oversees all. A united and ordered leadership.
Also how is exterminating everyone the right alternative lol I really like Zamasu as a character but I certainly won't say he's a good guy or that he was right in his beliefs, he is a villain after all lol
I am not denying that Zamasu was evil. He is clearly a Lawful Evil villain. But between him and Gowasu, I much prefer Zamasu. He has far more dignity than Gowasu, who just spends all his days drinking tea and doing nothing while the rest of the Universe burns around him due to the mortals' perpetual wars.
Do you talk about any other character outside of Zamasu? Or a topic not related to Zamasu?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:59 am

Doctor. wrote:Kale is just a big Broly reference. She lacks a unique personality and her arc, both in the anime and the manga, is just a poorly done version of Gohan's arc in the Cell Games, but with some extra melodrama thrown in.

Out of the main cast, probably Gohan or Tenshinhan, though I've come to appreciate both more as time goes by.
Why would you appreciate Tien more as time goes by? He hasnt done anything relevant in ages. Dont get me wrong, I myself like Tenshinhan, but you've been on the record saying he's bland and boring.

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:02 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Got to go with Cell. His initial motivation was to become "perfect" and once he did his motivation was then to test himself... and thus resulted in the most tedious, boring and drab arc of DB. In his Perfect form there is nothing remotely interesting about him at least when he was imperfect there was that creepiness about him. Buutenks/Buuhan is also up there as a boring generic talkative villain.

I actually like Shin, his incompetency is always a good laugh.
Cell is awesome in dragonball fighterz, dude roasts everyone lmaoo

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:30 am

omaro34 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Well IT IS not the duty of a Kai to intervene and all Kais will agree with that, not only Gowasu lol
A flawed system. Merely to watch is a sin too. Imagine if you had the power to stop evil, but chose not to do anything because your law compels you to inaction. You are committing a crime too.

Zamasu had the right idea in that regard. No Gods of Creation. No Gods of Destruction. No petty squabbles between Gods. Only a single, Supreme God who oversees all. A united and ordered leadership.
Also how is exterminating everyone the right alternative lol I really like Zamasu as a character but I certainly won't say he's a good guy or that he was right in his beliefs, he is a villain after all lol
I am not denying that Zamasu was evil. He is clearly a Lawful Evil villain. But between him and Gowasu, I much prefer Zamasu. He has far more dignity than Gowasu, who just spends all his days drinking tea and doing nothing while the rest of the Universe burns around him due to the mortals' perpetual wars.
Do you talk about any other character outside of Zamasu? Or a topic not related to Zamasu?
The truth? No, Not really.

But now that you have made me revisit this thread, I have decided to expand my list.

- Beerus, for destroying half a planet because he didn't like the food cooked there;
- Grand Zeno, for erasing 6 universes because he was bored one day;
- Goku, for not knowing how to properly address a Kai and being a self-centered fighting-obsessed clown;
- Whis, because I strongly believe that his Time Rewind technique is just a cheap get out of jail free card, and removes all the tension from a fight (a similiar argument can be made for the Zeno Button).

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:06 am

I don't know if Gotenks is my least favourite, but I sure do hate him. Terribly annoying.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:05 am

omaro34 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Kale is just a big Broly reference. She lacks a unique personality and her arc, both in the anime and the manga, is just a poorly done version of Gohan's arc in the Cell Games, but with some extra melodrama thrown in.

Out of the main cast, probably Gohan or Tenshinhan, though I've come to appreciate both more as time goes by.
Why would you appreciate Tien more as time goes by? He hasnt done anything relevant in ages. Dont get me wrong, I myself like Tenshinhan, but you've been on the record saying he's bland and boring.
He is, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate how polished and competently written his arc is and how it ties the whole tournament together. There's no backpedalling nor does he go through the same arc again like other characters. I still think it could have been done better and his motivations could have been expanded on more, but as it stands, his arc is fine.

I don't care about a character's "relevancy", that's a dumb thing to care about. What matters is the role they fill in the story.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:26 pm

ABED wrote:They were thinking they want to put Bulma in danger and make the audience fear for her safety. It's supposed to feel uncomfortable. It's not like when Muten Roshi does it. He was a good guy doing an awful thing. They are bad guys trying to do bad things.

Yes, it is supposed to feel uncomfortable. And it does feel uncomfortable. And that makes it unpleasant to watch. It achieves its desired effect, but that desired effect was a stupid move to make in a show like Dragon Ball.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:36 pm

AloversGaming wrote:I don't know if Gotenks is my least favourite, but I sure do hate him. Terribly annoying.
Opposite for me. I love Gotenks. He's hilarious. But his voice in the sub of Super got annoying quick.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
ABED wrote:They were thinking they want to put Bulma in danger and make the audience fear for her safety. It's supposed to feel uncomfortable. It's not like when Muten Roshi does it. He was a good guy doing an awful thing. They are bad guys trying to do bad things.

Yes, it is supposed to feel uncomfortable. And it does feel uncomfortable. And that makes it unpleasant to watch. It achieves its desired effect, but that desired effect was a stupid move to make in a show like Dragon Ball.
It's not always supposed to be pleasant. The author isn't always supposed to make you feel happy. Sometimes feeling uncomfortable is a good thing. I don't know why anyone has such a problem with this. Why is having villains trying to do villainous things a stupid move?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:50 pm

Perhaps either Oolong or Pu'Ar, but that's mostly because they are characters that are just...there on the background.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:31 am

ABED wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:

It's not always supposed to be pleasant. The author isn't always supposed to make you feel happy. Sometimes feeling uncomfortable is a good thing. I don't know why anyone has such a problem with this. Why is having villains trying to do villainous things a stupid move?
The Red Ribbon arc isn't some deep exploration of the evils of man and such, it's a boy fighting an army to collect mystical orbs that grant wishes. That doesn't preclude it making you feel things, in fact the arc gets something of a revitalisation when it gets into the more intense, high-stakes stuff it slowly grew into, but putting something as uncomfortable as an attempted rape that Bulma only escapes from by the narrowest of margins right in the middle of the fun shenanigans of West City and the pirate cave is just so incredibly unfitting... If this was an intense story covering themes of the evils of humanity, the place of kindness, the frailty of life, other heavy themes like that, you can imagine a scene where a somewhat helpless city girl is chased by armed militia with intent to rape her, but in a story where the ultimate goal is fun(And let's be real here, the ultimate point of the Red Ribbon arc at that point in the story was fun), it kind of sours things.

There is a place for putting evil deeds in there; the implied brutality of the soldiers at Muscle Tower, Blue leaving a bomb at Kame House and his other attempts to steal the Dragon Balls and kill Goku and co., but this is all quite pulpy kinds of evil, if you get my meaning... Sort of cartoonish evil that's easy to take fairly casually. There's a very deliberate point in the Red Ribbon arc where things take a dark turn, and it's a much more subtlely-executed and much more built up to moment that actually works within the story, and that's Tao Pai-Pai. Rather than just being a sudden, jarring, horrifying piece of intense and uncomfortable events taking place in the middle of a fairly lighthearted portion of the story, we get a buildup of this monstrous assassin figure, which leads up to him killing Bora, and it continues to be built on as the story goes on, leading to the evolving tone we would feel from then on into the 22nd Tenkaichi, and Piccolo, which would largely be maintained up until around when the Boo arc took a rather odd twist on it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:55 am

Okay, so characters, including ones we care about, can actually be murdered, hell even tortured, and that's fine, but villains attempting to do something else dispicable crosses a line? That feels completely arbitrary. The Red Ribbon Army has fun and adventure so we dare not include anything that ruins the fun, except murder and the attempted murder of a child.

Your point about build feels like a completely arbitrary line. I could just as easily argue that the scene was one event in a story where the tone was constantly evolving. And let's not forget they don't get very far, whereas Tao Pai Pai does succeed at murdering people. And I wouldn't say Tao Pai Pai was built up that much. The death of Bora is very sudden and very shocking. It's in no way subtle. It's a sudden and very violent death. It's very effective for that reason. Would you argue if the attempt on Bulma happened AFTER, it would've been more consistent with the tone of the story? I think the scene works because it takes the cartoonish villains and says they aren't playing kiddy games. The stakes are real.

These characters are so minor that unless you like every main character or even secondary character, I don't know why anyone would choose these curtain jerkers as their least favorite.