Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by Thanos » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:34 pm

Broli and GT Pan. Broli was fine in movie 8, but anything after that is him as a mindless monster and he’s just overexposed. Pan was cute in EoZ and Super, but she was pretty unbearable in GT.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:26 pm

I don't like jaco I dont know he just never did anything for me.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:11 pm

ABED wrote:Okay, so characters, including ones we care about, can actually be murdered, hell even tortured, and that's fine, but villains attempting to do something else dispicable crosses a line? That feels completely arbitrary. The Red Ribbon Army has fun and adventure so we dare not include anything that ruins the fun, except murder and the attempted murder of a child.

Your point about build feels like a completely arbitrary line. I could just as easily argue that the scene was one event in a story where the tone was constantly evolving. And let's not forget they don't get very far, whereas Tao Pai Pai does succeed at murdering people. And I wouldn't say Tao Pai Pai was built up that much. The death of Bora is very sudden and very shocking. It's in no way subtle. It's a sudden and very violent death. It's very effective for that reason. Would you argue if the attempt on Bulma happened AFTER, it would've been more consistent with the tone of the story? I think the scene works because it takes the cartoonish villains and says they aren't playing kiddy games. The stakes are real.

These characters are so minor that unless you like every main character or even secondary character, I don't know why anyone would choose these curtain jerkers as their least favorite.
I think what Robo means is that there are plenty of examples of the story getting us to hate the Red Ribbon Army and its allies that are a lot more effective and demographically-appropriate than that scene. We have Tao killing Bora, Commander Red being a short(heh)-sighted prick, Commander Black wanting true world power and shooting his superior to save time, Colonel Silver torching an entire forest, and General White enslaving a town to search for a Dragon Ball in the freezing cold (and capturing the Mayor), among others. All of those effectively convey how evil and inconsiderate the Red Ribbon Army is without having to get implied sexual violations involved which, like any of Roshi's antics, are highly inappropriate for a show that's meant to be targeting 10-14 year-olds. There's no reason the scene couldn't have worked with them being generically bad (say, "Get off this island or we'll shoot you dead!"), and about the only redeeming part about that scene is that Bulma is successful in defending herself.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:07 pm

KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote:Okay, so characters, including ones we care about, can actually be murdered, hell even tortured, and that's fine, but villains attempting to do something else dispicable crosses a line? That feels completely arbitrary. The Red Ribbon Army has fun and adventure so we dare not include anything that ruins the fun, except murder and the attempted murder of a child.

Your point about build feels like a completely arbitrary line. I could just as easily argue that the scene was one event in a story where the tone was constantly evolving. And let's not forget they don't get very far, whereas Tao Pai Pai does succeed at murdering people. And I wouldn't say Tao Pai Pai was built up that much. The death of Bora is very sudden and very shocking. It's in no way subtle. It's a sudden and very violent death. It's very effective for that reason. Would you argue if the attempt on Bulma happened AFTER, it would've been more consistent with the tone of the story? I think the scene works because it takes the cartoonish villains and says they aren't playing kiddy games. The stakes are real.

These characters are so minor that unless you like every main character or even secondary character, I don't know why anyone would choose these curtain jerkers as their least favorite.
I think what Robo means is that there are plenty of examples of the story getting us to hate the Red Ribbon Army and its allies that are a lot more effective and demographically-appropriate than that scene. We have Tao killing Bora, Commander Red being a short(heh)-sighted prick, Commander Black wanting true world power and shooting his superior to save time, Colonel Silver torching an entire forest, and General White enslaving a town to search for a Dragon Ball in the freezing cold (and capturing the Mayor), among others. All of those effectively convey how evil and inconsiderate the Red Ribbon Army is without having to get implied sexual violations involved which, like any of Roshi's antics, are highly inappropriate for a show that's meant to be targeting 10-14 year-olds. There's no reason the scene couldn't have worked with them being generically bad (say, "Get off this island or we'll shoot you dead!"), and about the only redeeming part about that scene is that Bulma is successful in defending herself.
Okay but why is that scene somehow not as bad as showing murder and the attempted murder of a child? Attempted rape is vile, but I find it arbitrary to say it's somehow worse or less age appropriate than any of the other evil deeds done in that arc alone. It's odd where people draw that line.

And I'm sorry, but the RRA's general ineffectiveness or torching a forest doesn't get to me at all.

And the whole reason there is a scene where two men attempt to violate Bulma got to air was because it wasn't successful. They were never going to air a scene where they actually got very far.
Last edited by ABED on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:15 pm

ABED wrote:Okay but why is that scene somehow not as bad as showing murder and the attempted murder of a child? Attempted rape is vile, but I find it arbitrary to say it's somehow worse or less age appropriate than any of the other evil deeds done in that arc alone.
In the case of Goku, it's because we know Goku can withstand gunfire (similarly with Arale being held captive with a knife). Blue going to smash Krillin's head in with a big rock? You got me there, I honestly have no idea why that feels more acceptable to me than attempted sexual assault.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:25 pm

KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote:Okay but why is that scene somehow not as bad as showing murder and the attempted murder of a child? Attempted rape is vile, but I find it arbitrary to say it's somehow worse or less age appropriate than any of the other evil deeds done in that arc alone.
In the case of Goku, it's because we know Goku can withstand gunfire (similarly with Arale being held captive with a knife). Blue going to smash Krillin's head in with a big rock? You got me there, I honestly have no idea why that feels more acceptable to me than attempted sexual assault.
I was talking about the scene where Bora is murdered. Later, Tao Pai Pai tries to murder Upa. This is a story where a bystander gets his head popped off like a grape, one of the heroes is brutally impaled and tortured, a villain tries to murder a child, another tries to crush a child's skull, an army commits mass genocide, and old couple and a puppy shot by a sniper for the fun of it, and doesn't shy away from showing us children being murdered. That's okay but the scene with Bulma is crossing the line of good taste?

I don't love the scene, but it makes me feel icky in the way a scene with a villain should. More to the point, it's one scene and I have a hard time believing out of ALL the characters in DB, there's not one someone would find worse than those two. They aren't around long enough.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:41 pm

ABED wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
I was talking about the scene where Bora is murdered. Later, Tao Pai Pai tries to murder Upa. This is a story where a bystander gets his head popped off like a grape, one of the heroes is brutally impaled and tortured, a villain tries to murder a child, another tries to crush a child's skull, an army commits mass genocide, and old couple and a puppy shot by a sniper for the fun of it, and doesn't shy away from showing us children being murdered. That's okay but the scene with Bulma is crossing the line of good taste?
Comparing with the sniper pair, the difference I find is that the story treats them as heinous monsters for committing such acts, and the characters all but tell them as such. With the RRA pair, it's treated like it's another generic threat they could make, and the karmic response is on a similar level (they get blowed up like all the others).
ABED wrote:I don't love the scene, but it makes me feel icky in the way a scene with a villain should. More to the point, it's one scene and I have a hard time believing out of ALL the characters in DB, there's not one someone would find worse than those two. They aren't around long enough.
I do agree that I don't find them the worst characters in the story for the reasons you stated.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:31 am

Pikkon and Uub.

I don't hate them, I just have no real attachment to a filler character and character so minor, he was practically a background character anyway.

Kind of like Boba Fett; somehow he's insanely popular, but the most relevant thing he did, was fall into the Sarlaac Pit.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:53 am

Are we really going to get into the rape vs murder in media discussion? Because, I mean, we can, but I get the feeling if you're of this mindset already, we're unlikely to get anywhere here.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:09 am

Comparing with the sniper pair, the difference I find is that the story treats them as heinous monsters for committing such acts, and the characters all but tell them as such. With the RRA pair, it's treated like it's another generic threat they could make, and the karmic response is on a similar level (they get blowed up like all the others).
I'm not seeing the distinction. The threat of death is generic?

The big difference is the scale. When the sniper kills the old couple, just as the RRA goons try to assault Bulma, the scale of it is personal, just like Bora's death. The personal nature of it makes you feel the violation more than the death of faceless mobs. It feels different, but in essence they aren't different from masses are shown being killed by ki blasts, however we deem that okay. So it's not that it's different, it just FEELS different. Besides, why wouldn't you enmity be more towards the writers than those two characters?

When I think of my least favorite characters, it's ones that stay around for a while and whose actions bother me as opposed to ones that take me out of the story and question why the writers would include it. For instance, and sorry to go to this well, Chichi.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Dragon Ball:
General Blue: I found him creepy and annoying and he overstayed his welcome.
Spike: It has to do with me disliking demons.
Master Roshi: Only when he is a pervert.
Dragon Ball Z:
Vegeta: My least favorite Z Fighter. At first I thought he was cool but as I watched Dragon Ball I realized how much he ruined the dynamic of Goku and the other characters. He basically replaced Yamcha and robbed the relevance of the other characters such as Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, and even Piccolo. Vegeta seems to get everything he wants with the exception of being a better fighter than Goku. Ever since he appeared the other characters became less effective and no longer had the chance to shrink the gap of power between them and Goku.
Saibamen: They are the reason why this inmortal and annoying Yamcha death pose meme is a thing. I blame them for making people hate Yamcha, my favorite character.
Babidi: Such an irritating pest. This is obviously intentional.
Dabura: Same reason as Spike.
Maron: For provoking the viewers and Master Roshi and the fact that she was annoying and give Krillin too much trouble.

Gt:
17: He is so ugly.

Super:
The Kamikaze fireballs and Kale and Caulifla at first. When they had been defeated I began to tolerate them better as they had shown their more sympatethic side.

Aman

Post by Aman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:02 am

Goku, Caulifla and Kale.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Waluigiman wrote:Dragon Ball:
Dragon Ball Z:
Vegeta: My least favorite Z Fighter. At first I thought he was cool but as I watched Dragon Ball I realized how much he ruined the dynamic of Goku and the other characters. He basically replaced Yamcha and robbed the relevance of the other characters such as Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, and even Piccolo. Vegeta seems to get everything he wants with the exception of being a better fighter than Goku. Ever since he appeared the other characters became less effective and no longer had the chance to shrink the gap of power between them and Goku.
Saibamen: They are the reason why this inmortal and annoying Yamcha death pose meme is a thing. I blame them for making people hate Yamcha, my favorite character.
Maron: For provoking the viewers and Master Roshi and the fact that she was annoying and give Krillin too much trouble.

Gt:

Super:
The Kamikaze fireballs and Kale and Caulifla at first. When they had been defeated I began to tolerate them better as they had shown their more sympatethic side.
There wasn't much of dynamic between Goku and the humans in the first place. The only time the human characters were ever relevant in Early DB was in the Tournament arcs, elsewhere they were useless fodder that would get beaten up by the side villains (like Tien vs Drum, Krillin getting killed offscreen by a henchmen, Yamcha and Chaoszu never doing anything impressive in early DB, Roshi jobbing against King Piccolo, etc)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:10 pm

Least favorite characters?

DB: Yamcha, Chaoszu and most of the side villains.
DBZ: Garlic Jr, Bio-Broly, A19, A13-15
DBS: Nearly all of Universe 2 (except Helles and Rosie), Quitella, Botamo
GT: Pan, Present Trunks, Para Para crew
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:35 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Dragon Ball Z:

Gt:

Super:
There wasn't much of dynamic between Goku and the humans in the first place. The only time the human characters were ever relevant in Early DB was in the Tournament arcs, elsewhere they were useless fodder that would get beaten up by the side villains (like Tien vs Drum, Krillin getting killed offscreen by a henchmen, Yamcha and Chaoszu never doing anything impressive in early DB, Roshi jobbing against King Piccolo, etc)
At least admit that Goku interacting with other characters besides Bulma, Vegeta, Beerus, Whis and the current strong opponent is better than nothing. And besides you are only saying this because it is less impressive in comparison now that you had seen the greater feats in Dragon Ball Z/GT/or Super.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:54 pm

Waluigiman wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
Dragon Ball Z:

Gt:

Super:
At least admit that Goku interacting with other characters besides Bulma, Vegeta, Beerus, Whis and the current strong opponent is better than nothing. And besides you are only saying this because it is less impressive in comparison now that you had seen the greater feats in Dragon Ball Z/GT/or Super.
Its not that. Piccolo only became useless since the Buu Saga, and that had nothing to do with Vegeta. Tien and Chaozu were always somewhat separate from Goku and pals even before Z. Yamcha has been a joke since the end of the Pilaf arc, and Krillin as a character was most useful in the Saiyan and Namek arcs, which was after Vegeta was introduced.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:59 pm

I know but I guess I am just upset that the other characters are just shafted and were not given the same treatment as Vegeta. My dislike towards him is not as strong as the other characters.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:18 pm

I do not like the Saibaiman who blew up Yamcha nor do I like Van Zant.
I just do not like how the Saibaiman reduced Yamcha into a pathetic meme in this fandom and Van Zant is pure evil, he isn't a soldier working for an evil army, an evil alien, an android made by the former or an evil Majin, but an evil civilian psychopath with no remorse for his actions.

I also do not like Frost for his lies and deception.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:04 pm

AnzuMazaki wrote:I do not like the Saibaiman who blew up Yamcha nor do I like Van Zant.
I just do not like how the Saibaiman reduced Yamcha into a pathetic meme in this fandom and Van Zant is pure evil, he isn't a soldier working for an evil army, an evil alien, an android made by the former or an evil Majin, but an evil civilian psychopath with no remorse for his actions.

I also do not like Frost for his lies and deception.
People only remember this freak because of that tasteless "joke" other than that he is forgettable.

I also don't like Garlick Jr. he was somewhat irritating like Babidi and his arc felt like a fever nightmare.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm

In original DB I would say Tsuru Sennin and Toninjinka. In Dragon Ball Z Vegeta Arc Cell until he blew himself up against Majin Buu. In Dragon Ball Super no one. In Dragon Ball GT Pan and Super 17. And in Movies Old Broly.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu