Why are they still releasing new stuff like DBS on DVD?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blondiebear_17

Why are they still releasing new stuff like DBS on DVD?

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:45 am

I personally don't really know why this is a thing still? I just wonder because it's just a little frustrating to me that retailers like Wal-Mart, for example, tend to stock DVD over Blu-ray in some locations. I love Blu-ray/DVD combo packs but I don't really know why people would still be choosing DVD over Blu-ray when it comes to anything new because to me it seems that the cost is more or less the same from what I can tell.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Why are they still releasing new stuff like DBS on DVD?

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:08 am

Because DVDs still move a lot of units. If they didn't sell then no company would bother releasing them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:08 am

What i don't understand, is why so many companies, especially Funimation, always include DVD with BD release?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:19 am

You'd be surprised by the amount of people who don't own a Blu Ray player whereas almost everyone has something sitting around that can play DVDs. Hell, I didn't have a Blu Ray Player until I got my PS4 last fall...

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:44 am

The thing about releasing the DVD and Blu-ray in one pack, has to be about making money, right? "Hey! It's not $19.99, it's $29.99 because it comes with the Blu-ray AND the DVD! Whoa! What a bargain!! Two for the price of one!" But, like... I've never once popped in the DVD of any of these things. The only reason I would get one of these is if I can't find the Blu-ray alone, or if there were special features not on the standard Blu-ray release. That "two for one" tactic might work on some (though I can't imagine whom), but it's like selling someone a pair of socks with a third sock in there and bumping it up a couple of bucks. "Whoa! Look at the deal you just got!!!"

According to Amazon, as of now "Resurrection F" prices are as follows:
Blu-ray - $21.99
DVD - $7.23
Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy - $31.69

So the DVD and Digital Copy are more than just getting the Blu-ray and DVD separately. I don't get it. And unfortunately, that's the version I own :think:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:48 am

The optional DVD is nice if you are going on vacation and the place you're staying at doesn't have a blu ray player, but does have a DVD player. That's happened to me plenty of times.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:42 pm

ABED wrote:The optional DVD is nice if you are going on vacation and the place you're staying at doesn't have a blu ray player, but does have a DVD player. That's happened to me plenty of times.
Or borrowing it out to a friend who doesn't have a blu ray player. I have a lot of friends who haven't gotten one yet.

By the way TheGreatness, I don't know where you're located but in my NA region the RF blu ray always comes with the blu ray+DVD+digital combo and it's only $21.99. There isnt even an only blu ray option. On Amazon.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:53 pm

I got those prices directly off Amazon lol If the "Blu-ray" option includes the DVD and digital download, then what is the $30 one?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:54 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I got those prices directly off Amazon lol If the "Blu-ray" option includes the DVD and digital download, then what is the $30 one?
When I click on the $31 one that's labeled "Multi-Format" it's the Collector's Edition. The $21 blu ray option has a picture of the cover and it mentions including blu ray+DVD+Digital. Which it does for sure.

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:27 am

coola wrote:What i don't understand, is why so many companies, especially Funimation, always include DVD with BD release?
I kinda appreciate the combo pack since It's nice to have an extra copy even if it's standard DVD just in case something happens to the blu-ray or you want to watch it in a room without a blu-ray player or lend it out. I don't lend out my discs to anyone but I would be more likely to do that if I had a backup. What confuses me though is how they choose what releases get a combo pack and which ones don't? Because for example none of the new Dragonball releases are combo packs but a lot of other shows do get them? I mean I personally just wonder why anybody who spends the money to invest in physical media would not have bought a blu-ray player by now? I mean I know lots of people are totally over physical media, in general, I understand the attitude of people who think why pay for something you can probably see with a subscription online anyway? However, I don't understand why people would buy stuff that's just coming out for the first time in a format that's already obsolete. I mean I do still buy DVDs but only second hand because it's cheap or out of print and impossible to find on Blu-ray. I really only complain about this because it makes it hard for me to buy stuff like Dragon Ball Super and Sailor Moon on a whim at the Grocery store at like 2:00 in the morning.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:41 pm

It might seem strange to you, Blondiebear_17, but a lot of people still prefer DVDs than Blu-rays since they've been along for far longer, it still looks good on TVs, they're cheap and overall it's a fine product that does its job. Then, those same people if they want to watch something in HD then they'll watch it on a TV channel or via a Netflix-like service.

Blu-ray won over HD-DVD in terms of the definitive high definition format but it hasn't been able to overtake DVD's popularity. Personally, I'm fine with DVDs too because the upscale done on my 360/PS3 looks great and I've always got a good time watching the DVDs on it.

Here's the stranger thing for ya: Some people in Western countries have never heard of Blu-ray and stores don't even carry Blu-rays because they know no one buys them (or just one or two customers at max).