GT is canon as much as Super is

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: GT is canon as much as Super is

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: And, yes, people can have their own canon. It's call fan fiction.
There is no such thing as "own canon", fan-fiction is non canon by definition lol

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:53 pm

ABED wrote:
And, yes, people can have their own canon. It's call fan fiction. And those people just have to keep in mind that other people follow a different series of events and how the series played out.
Fan Fiction isn't canon! One of the defining criterion of canon is that it's official, as in it doesn't include fan fiction.

Official canon is redundantly redundant.
Official =/= Canon

The Dragon Ball canon is clear as water ! It comprise of Jaco and Dragon Ball Minus, the original manga and the narrative arcs comprise of Battle of Gods, Resurection of F, Champa/Beerus Tournament, Mirai Trunks and Black Goku/Zamasu threat arc and the Tournament of Power, what will come next is the Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie this winter and that's it.

GT is not canon and is an -> official <- side story.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:05 pm

Official isn't a synonym, but it's a requirement. I never implied they were the same thing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

STH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by STH » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:30 pm

The canon does not just mean "if author write a story, this is always canon."
Its meaning is that the story elements are compatible. Canon is the timeline, the main story.
I mean, these are some terms. Of course, the most important part is that author directly writes the story. But this is not always necessary. (like assistant of Oda writes side stories of Ace). This is a separate topic. Whatever.

Dragon Ball manga (519 chapter) is the only canon for this series. I don't think Jaco, Minus, BoG etc are canon.
Yes, these are coming from author, but not compatible with his manga. Toriyama writes various stories at various times, like DB Online. Is Online canon? Or why not canon? Who decided?

Main story of this series was ended. I think Toriyama only wrote various stories he thought about. Because I can't see DB Vol 43 or anything like this. I think we should consider why.
Melkaniator wrote: "DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant."

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 pm

No it's not super is sandwiched in between the mangas Buu saga and uub saga. It's confirmed by the creator. GT is a side story like dbh not Canon come on bro this isn't a discussion. What did they all just forget about SSG or SSB? Where's beerus? Get real

gantarat

Post by gantarat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:04 pm

After Broly become canon I'm not surprise if Toriyama do GT Reboot in the future.
SSB Kid Goku ? SSJ Pan ? Will we see that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:07 am

gantarat wrote:After Broly become canon I'm not surprise if Toriyama do GT Reboot in the future.
If GT's getting remade or elements of it are then the last thing you'll see is a kid Goku again.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:42 am

sintzu wrote:
gantarat wrote:After Broly become canon I'm not surprise if Toriyama do GT Reboot in the future.
If GT's getting remade or elements of it are then the last thing you'll see is a kid Goku again.
This. It's very unlikely they would use the ideas that backfired in particular. I can see many GT concepts remade but not kid Goku.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:45 am

sintzu wrote:
This was one of the ideas that Toriyama-san found interesting so why would he drop it.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:59 am

Cetra wrote:
sintzu wrote:
This was one of the ideas that Toriyama-san found interesting so why would he drop it.
Because they already did it.

I say this as someone who didn't mind kid Goku and still don't see why people are so bothered by it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:00 am

Cetra wrote:This was one of the ideas that Toriyama-san found interesting so why would he drop it.
If it was so interesting GT and the franchise as a whole wouldn't have crashed and burned. He also thought Vegeta's mustache was interesting but you don't see him using it now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:01 am

sintzu wrote:
Cetra wrote:This was one of the ideas that Toriyama-san found interesting so why would he drop it.
If it was so interesting GT and the franchise as a whole wouldn't have crashed and burned. He also thought Vegeta's mustache was interesting but you don't see him using it now.
That's reductive. GT was at the tail end of a decade long run. Burn out had set in before GT. GT wasn't all that good, but the lack of quality isn't in and of itself the reason for GT's performance.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:03 am

ABED wrote:
sintzu wrote:
That's reductive. GT was at the tail end of a decade long run. Burn out had set in before GT. GT wasn't all that good, but the lack of quality isn't in and of itself the reason for GT's performance.
Indeed, ratings for Z were already dropping after the manga finished. If GT was a higher quality show it might've lasted a bit longer but I ultimately don't think it had long legs. Having a manga running for a big anime at the time was a considerably bigger deal than it is nowadays.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:29 pm

Nowadays I view discussions about canon the same way I view discussions about power levels: The man responsible for all this doesn't care enough to make any of it consistent so people shouldn't put that much thought into it.

That being said.

Unless Toriyama or Toei come out with an official statement on all this, which at this point I doubt they ever will, I think GT and Super being alternate universes is the only way to make sense of all this. I suspect the reason they didn't just set Super after Z is because they didn't want to have to make a statement about GT's canonicity one way or the other.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Majin Buu wrote:Nowadays I view discussions about canon the same way I view discussions about power levels: The man responsible for all this doesn't care enough to make any of it consistent so people shouldn't put that much thought into it.

That being said.

Unless Toriyama or Toei come out with an official statement on all this, which at this point I doubt they ever will, I think GT and Super being alternate universes is the only way to make sense of all this. I suspect the reason they didn't just set Super after Z is because they didn't want to have to make a statement about GT's canonicity one way or the other.
I think there's a big difference between Toriyama making his story consistent vs. making the canon between all the different shows and manga consistent.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:02 pm

ABED wrote:I think there's a big difference between Toriyama making his story consistent vs. making the canon between all the different shows and manga consistent.
Perhaps. I just mentioned power levels as a point of comparison because I personally view both as aspects that aren't that important at the end of the day.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:57 am

As much as I love GT I think it's done.. it's still there ..it still exists. But GT's image is so overshadowed by hate no matter which Youtuber makes a video about GT the comments are always just: GT is non canon .GT .dosent.. exist ..GT dosent count.. RIP GT Thank your for the uniqie Designs, Baby Arc, The Concepts, Super Saiyan 4, Music,the creativity,the ending& that you've always made a laugh in my face as a kid
GT Fighter

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:46 am

Majin Buu wrote:Nowadays I view discussions about canon the same way I view discussions about power levels: The man responsible for all this doesn't care enough to make any of it consistent so people shouldn't put that much thought into it.

That being said.

Why would they be bothered?

Canon seems to be something stated to be so, but at the same time when will something ever be outed as non-canon? In this regard it's safe to say anything stated to be canon is, and that although I would like to believe that the general outline of Super is canon, I wouldn't ever use it in a debate unless there was an official statement on it.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:08 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote: GT's image is so overshadowed by hate no matter which Youtuber makes a video about GT the comments are always just: GT is non canon
Well it's not canon, but it's not hateful t to say that, for instance I love the first Broly movie but it's not canon lol
Saying "GT is a huge piece of horsemanure" would be hateful lol

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:36 pm

Sin wrote:

That being said.

Why would they be bothered?

Canon seems to be something stated to be so, but at the same time when will something ever be outed as non-canon? In this regard it's safe to say anything stated to be canon is, and that although I would like to believe that the general outline of Super is canon, I wouldn't ever use it in a debate unless there was an official statement on it.
The Super Manga, or the Super anime? There are differences between the two.