I love the Funimation Dub pre-Kai

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: I love the Funimation Dub pre-Kai

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:18 pm

I don't think that's enough to justify it. DB was worse off with a score that didn't fit the show well.

There are plenty of people that like the in-house actors and the dub dialog and characterizations, but that doesn't justify the changes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:06 pm

ABED wrote: And it's not the love of the score I'm calling into question, it's the idea that people truly believe the Faulconer score is objectively the better fit for DBZ.
I've had discussions on this forum with people who have said so and when you get down to the bottom of it, it's mostly due to misconceptions about that DB is at its core. Not surprisingly, much of that misconception comes directly from the dub itself.
Well if that's the argument, then there are of course a lot of fair points to be made. Although there is a huge distinction between thinking that it's a better fit for DBZ vs. simply liking it on its own merits. Because based on my youtube comment dissections and analysis of comments on forums like this (just take my word for it, they all happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away), there are quite a sizeable amount of people in the latter camp. And although the "misconception" point is fair for somebody who has only seen that dub, I do believe that it's possible to still like the score on its own merits even after learning about who all the characters are actually supposed to be and understanding its Wuxia influence, etc. It's something along the lines of "I understand that it's supposed to be x, but the dub dialogue + music present it as y, and I really like y despite knowing that it's not accurate".

Though like I said, if people are using the dub alone to say that the score is better suited for DBZ, then yeah it's not a valid argument since they have a misinformed idea of what DBZ is.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Preference is subjective but the original vision for DBZ isn't. It was made with particular themes in mind that Funimation didn't conform to. One can like the Faulconer score, but it was made with the wrong intention to improve the show.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:13 pm

I don't care if someone likes the score on its own. It has some nice moments, but it doesn't fit the story. Casual viewers (which I'm guessing makes up the bulk of even DBZ's US audience) don't know and that's fine, but it's due to FUNi's changes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:21 pm

To me the truest version of dbz is the Bruce Faulkner score pre Kai dub I loved watching that growing up

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Ssjcell wrote:To me the truest version of dbz is the Bruce Faulkner score pre Kai dub I loved watching that growing up
How is it the truest version of DBZ?

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:28 pm

I don't care if someone likes the score on its own. It has some nice moments, but it doesn't fit the story. Casual viewers (which I'm guessing makes up the bulk of even DBZ's US audience) don't know and that's fine, but it's due to FUNi's changes.
Preference is subjective but the original vision for DBZ isn't. It was made with particular themes in mind that Funimation didn't conform to. One can like the Faulconer score, but it was made with the wrong intention to improve the show.
Well I don't think there's much to dispute there. The original manga and anime had a certain artistic vision and style that was lost with the dub, which morphed into something different. A lot of people seem to like that "something different", but quite a sizeable chunk of them are not informed on what the original product actually is. How would they feel about the music if they were informed and educated about what Dragon Ball is? We may never really know.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:37 pm

thaman91 wrote:
Well I don't think there's much to dispute there. The original manga and anime had a certain artistic vision and style that was lost with the dub, which morphed into something different. A lot of people seem to like that "something different", but quite a sizeable chunk of them are not informed on what the original product actually is. How would they feel about the music if they were informed and educated about what Dragon Ball is? We may never really know.
I don't know if it would change anything in this world where the dub already exists, but before it did, all FUNi had to do was give a competent dub and keep the music. There would be nothing to get. You don't need to understand the background of DB and the genre DB comes from in order to enjoy it, including the music. It would all work as a whole.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:49 pm

Yeah I'm sure that if it were faithful, it would work just fine, just like it did in countries that went with the accurate script + original music route.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:07 pm

Ssjcell wrote:To me the truest version of dbz is the Bruce Faulkner score pre Kai dub I loved watching that growing up

That's not the truest version. That's just the version you like best.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Eh not really I just think it's the one most people grew up watching , it's the og version . I think it gets disrespected too often . The music sets the tone very well and Goku is more of a badass in spots.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Ssjcell wrote:Eh not really I just think it's the one most people grew up watching , it's the og version . I think it gets disrespected too often . The music sets the tone very well and Goku is more of a badass in spots.
The dub is the OG version?

When is Goku more of a badass? Better question, why do you think Goku should be made to look more badass?

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:07 pm

Ssjcell wrote:Eh not really I just think it's the one most people grew up watching , it's the og version . I think it gets disrespected too often . The music sets the tone very well and Goku is more of a badass in spots.
Well it's what most people in the US may have grown up watching. Remember, it's a Japanese show. The true OG was the Japanese version. Most countries didn't even get it with the Faulconer music (they retained the Japanese music).

I've been saying this whole time that it's fine to like the dub and its music (there are legitimate reasons for doing so). But it's not the "true" DBZ.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:10 pm

ABED wrote:

When is Goku more of a badass? Better question, why do you think Goku should be made to look more badass?
Idk if you refer to the thread how were you introduced to the franchise most people say it was the toonami version of dbz . And to answer your question he saved the universe bro ...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:20 pm

Ssjcell wrote:
ABED wrote:

Idk if you refer to the thread how were you introduced to the franchise most people say it was the toonami version of dbz . And to answer your question he saved the universe bro ...
I have trouble understanding your posts. I'm not sure what the other thread has to do with my question. Not only is the dub by definition not the original, even the in-house dub is not the original. The Ocean dub is the original dub.

And Goku saves the universe in every version.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 pm

But it’s not the og version in any sense of the word.

The Japanese version is the OG version.

And if you meant like in the US or in North America the OG version is the Funi/Ocean/Saban collab dub with the Ron Wasserman music

ETA: the more I think about it the more its weird to treat Faulconer as THE DUB because no matter what his music wasn’t used for the first two seasons. Does that segment fan of the fandom believe DBZ doesnt start until Ginyu Assault?

Ssjcell wrote: Idk if you refer to the thread how were you introduced to the franchise most people say it was the toonami version of dbz . And to answer your question he saved the universe bro ...
The Toonami version essentially doesn’t exist anymore.

The Toonami version is composed of the first 67 episodes edited down to 53 with the Ocean Cast and then the Funimation taking over and imitating the Ocean cast with the episodes moderately edited for Toonami’s fairly liberal BS&P.

Most people nowadays are watching a remastered version with a lot of the dialog re-recorded. A revisionist version where we don’t get Sabat trying to sound like Drummond and Mcneil and we don’t get beautiful lines like “Don’t piss off the God of love”

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:04 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Preference is subjective but the original vision for DBZ isn't. It was made with particular themes in mind that Funimation didn't conform to. One can like the Faulconer score, but it was made with the wrong intention to improve the show.

Exactly. It exists because of wrong-headed assumptions, in opposition the show's original vision. I think dub fans try to push back against this by arguing that the Faulconer score was necessary for Dragon Ball's success in America.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:06 pm

I know the ocean dub was the original but I would argue the Faulkner dub is the most memorable good or bad . At least the funi dub doesnt have lines like Tien saying after the helicopter is blown up by nappa don't worry they have parachutes.. or you just wait til it grows back referring to his amputated arm.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:42 pm

Ssjcell wrote:I know the ocean dub was the original but I would argue the Faulkner dub is the most memorable good or bad .
Mostly because Funimation did everything they could to pretend the Ocean dub didn't exist. (Aside from trying to capitalize on it with the Rock the Dragon set because hey Funimation likes money)

It's not so much the Funimation in-house dub is more memorable as much as Toonami pretty much stopped rerunning those episode when the domestic dub started so you had the Faulconer score from 1999-2003 and then you knew redubbed those episodes with their cast a couple years after and made that "the definitive version"

At least the funi dub doesnt have lines like Tien saying after the helicopter is blown up by nappa don't worry they have parachutes.. or you just wait til it grows back referring to his amputated arm.
Instead it gives us gems like

"My gosh. That's one whopper of a lizard"

"Mondo cool" "That's right boys MONDO COOL"

"Good ol Namek where balls are born"

"Nice move but your shoe came untied" "I'm not gonna fall for that! I don't even have shoe laces"

"You didn't say please!"

"Ally to good! Nightmare to you!"

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:02 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:I know the ocean dub was the original but I would argue the Faulkner dub is the most memorable good or bad .
Mostly because Funimation did everything they could to pretend the Ocean dub didn't exist. (Aside from trying to capitalize on it with the Rock the Dragon set because hey Funimation likes money)

It's not so much the Funimation in-house dub is more memorable as much as Toonami pretty much stopped rerunning those episode when the domestic dub started so you had the Faulconer score from 1999-2003 and then you knew redubbed those episodes with their cast a couple years after and made that "the definitive version"

At least the funi dub doesnt have lines like Tien saying after the helicopter is blown up by nappa don't worry they have parachutes.. or you just wait til it grows back referring to his amputated arm.
Instead it gives us gems like

"My gosh. That's one whopper of a lizard"

"Mondo cool" "That's right boys MONDO COOL"

"Good ol Namek where balls are born"

"Nice move but your shoe came untied" "I'm not gonna fall for that! I don't even have shoe laces"

"You didn't say please!"

"Ally to good! Nightmare to you!"
Alright we need to talk about this whole Funi lines are bad thing... Most of those lines were good in context ... Frieza was making fun of Goku who proves he wasn't gonna fall for that
You didn't say please again Goku was getting in Freeza's head
Ally to good nightmare to you , Imo great line