I love the Funimation Dub pre-Kai

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: I love the Funimation Dub pre-Kai

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Why does anyone respond to anything on a discussion forum?
But it's not merely a response, you're having a whole discussion. What are you looking to gain from it if you are saying they are essentially arbitrary assertions? What more can you hope to get from it?

I didn't bring up YouTube, nor would I use it as evidence.
And I kind of agree with this part of your argument. There are exceptions, but the "misconceptions" argument is one I've agreed with.
How would anyone go about claiming the Faulconer score is a better fit for a show based in Wuxia and old Kung Fu movies a better fit than a score reminiscent of old Kung Fu movies? The kind of arguments I typically hear is DBZ isn't as martial arts based. It's more sci-fi and super-powers based, they claim. This is of course remarkably naïve.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:38 pm

ABED wrote:
Why does anyone respond to anything on a discussion forum?
But it's not merely a response, you're having a whole discussion. What are you looking to gain from it if you are saying they are essentially arbitrary assertions? What more can you hope to get from it?
....Yes I'm having a whole discussion. Did you forget this is the "General Franchise Discussion" forum? And again, I've said more than just what you're claiming I've said. Anyway, what I'm hoping to "get from it" is not your concern. Stick to discussing the arguments and let me worry about that.
I didn't bring up YouTube, nor would I use it as evidence.
ABED wrote: What evidence would suffice to prove that claim? Me dissecting a shit ton of youtube comments or some comments on this very forum?
Yes you did bring up Youtube. And I'm not only responding to you. Others have brought up their perceptions about the fandom. Perhaps Youtube is where they're getting these perceptions from. Either way, I've offered my own interpretation on some of the stuff that goes on there.
And I kind of agree with this part of your argument. There are exceptions, but the "misconceptions" argument is one I've agreed with.
How would anyone go about claiming the Faulconer score is a better fit for a show based in Wuxia and old Kung Fu movies a better fit than a score reminiscent of old Kung Fu movies? The kind of arguments I typically hear is DBZ isn't as martial arts based. It's more sci-fi and super-powers based, they claim. This is of course remarkably naïve.
There is an entire discussion to be had about a score that feels like it's Wuxia vs. a score that fits the scene. Is it possible that a score can do the former while somewhat fumbling on the latter? The Faulconer score does not feel like Wuxia, but it is definitely valid to think that there can be certain moments that it does better for the scene vs. the Kikuchi score. What if the Kikuchi score was terrible music? I'm not saying that it is, but just the fact that it's the correct genre doesn't automatically mean that it wins in every single case.
Last edited by thaman91 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Haven't kept up with all the things, but some folks like what they were first introduced to. Battle of the Planets still has quite a few fans, and that changed a lot, and aI mean a lot more from Gatchaman than the DB dub did from DB. Though for some reason, no one cares on that as much as DB fans won't let Funimation live things down with the DB franchise.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:34 pm

When did I bring up YouTube? I didn't get these perceptions from YouTube. They come from years of interacting in AOL chatrooms, other forums like this, this forum, Facebook, and also real life interactions with fans and friends in school.
I'm not saying that it is, but just the fact that it's the correct genre doesn't automatically mean that it wins in every single case.
Never said it did win every single case, but the chances of the replacement score being a better fit go to practically zero when it's not playing the same game. What are the chances of the score fitting the story if it doesn't understand the story? Again, this isn't just about the score, it's also the writing and the acting. Freeza is written as a vaguely sexual old woman instead of a aristocratic gentleman. Goku is written as a superhero even though his actions contradict those lines. Vegeta essentially says Freeza was the one that made the Saiyans the bastards they were. Even small moments like Kuririn lamenting never getting married rewritten as wondering why he didn't become a shoe salesman are worse for not coming from character. Then there's the use of slang that wasn't popular even in the late 90s (e.g. mondo cool and "in 'da house!") How is any of this better than keeping the characters who they are?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:01 pm

ABED wrote:When did I bring up YouTube? I didn't get these perceptions from YouTube. They come from years of interacting in AOL chatrooms, other forums like this, this forum, Facebook, and also real life interactions with fans.
You brought up Youtube right here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42382&start=40#p1541104
You said this:
What evidence would suffice to prove that claim? Me dissecting a shit ton of youtube comments or some comments on this very forum? I came to this conclusion after years of experience reading and talking to fellow fans. Many of these discussions happened years ago.
Although you could have meant it as a hypothetical question rather than actually saying that you had dissected a "shit ton of youtube comments". If you say you don't get your perceptions from Youtube, then okay. No big deal, and my bad if I misinterpreted. But anyway, you're not the only person posting on this thread.
MasenkoHa brought up Youtube comments here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42382&start=40#p1541101
This is the main reason while I get annoyed when dude bros get uppity about the Faulconer score being the end all be all of DBZ music (for the record not saying anyone on here who likes the Funi Z dub or Faulconer music is like that just ya know more the people you see on youtube comments and gamefaq boards and what not
So Youtube comments do seem to have at least a little bit of influence on people's perceptions of the fandom. And so I brought it up in my post to offer alternate interpretations on what goes on there.
Never said it did win every single case, but the chances of the replacement score being a better fit go to practically zero when it's not in the same ballpark. What are the chances of the score fitting the story if it doesn't understand the story?
Okay so you acknowledge that it doesn't necessarily win in every single case by default. That's my point. If someone who is informed about both versions points to a scene and says that they like how the Faulconer score handled it better and is able to articulate why, then it's a valid opinion. For example, if it's an emotional scene, and they think that the Faulconer emotional cue works better than the perhaps goofy-sounding Kikuchi one, then that's valid. Or maybe a certain insert song from the Japanese version sounds more like 80s pop rather than Wuxia, and perhaps they think the Faulconer cue works better there. How valid these arguments are can only be judged on a case-by-case basis.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:04 pm

That's not me bringing up YouTube comments. It was a rhetorical question. Sorry if that wasn't clear, but I have no intention then or now to ever bring up a bunch of YouTube comments to make a point beyond YouTube is not the place to go for any sort of useful criticism.
How valid these arguments are can only be judged on a case-by-case basis.
We're talking about the overall score, not merely a few moments here and there in isolation. Do you honestly believe there are enough of those sorts of moments for anyone to make an un-biased claim that the Faulconer score is a better fit? It's like when people compare the Z dub with the Kai dub and the occasional stilted or overly wordy dialog. Perhaps there are moments in the Z dub where the line was less stilted or simpler and more effective, but those moments are too few to be meaningful.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:15 pm

ABED wrote:That's not me bringing up YouTube comments. It was a rhetorical question. Sorry if that wasn't clear, but I have no intention then or now to ever bring up a bunch of YouTube comments.
Okay, like I said, my bad for misinterpreting.
How valid these arguments are can only be judged on a case-by-case basis.
We're talking about the overall score, not merely a few moments here and there in isolation.
I'm simply explaining what I meant earlier by "exceptions". Like I had said, I mostly agree with your "misconceptions" point and I do think that tends to color people's opinions on what score overall fits better for the show. Because what people think "the show is" is influenced by these inaccuracies in the dub. So when people speak in broad terms about what's better for the series, it can often come from a place of being misinformed. Valid point.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:27 am

thaman91 wrote:Okay so you acknowledge that it doesn't necessarily win in every single case by default. That's my point. If someone who is informed about both versions points to a scene and says that they like how the Faulconer score handled it better and is able to articulate why, then it's a valid opinion. For example, if it's an emotional scene, and they think that the Faulconer emotional cue works better than the perhaps goofy-sounding Kikuchi one, then that's valid.
My issue with statements like this is that it is demonstrably untrue that the Faulconer score has very many (if any) cues that work for more emotionally driven scenes, whereas Kikuchi's score is RIFE with cues that are tailored to work in sad/melancholy, or wistful, or hopeful scenes etc. As far as I'm concerned this isn't even a matter of subjective opinion or taste: the Kikuchi score unarguably, matter of factly contains a flat out more emotionally diverse range of cues. Faulconer by contrast, is almost always in "hard-ass action" mode with VERY little variation in any other direction. There's WAY more room for fluidity in emotional range in Kikuchi than there is in Faulconer, and that's just demonstrably ironclad in what kinds of music is actually present in each of their scores.

Lets set aside for a moment the debate on whether or not the fighting action setpieces contained in the Z section of the series count as "martial arts" or not (and as far as I'm concerned that's not even a debate, and the people making the case against it are doing so out of pure ignorance): even if you want to claim that DBZ's fight scenes count more as "sci fi superhero action", then okay, lets accept that: the issue then becomes "does Faulconer's score fit that theme better"? That can be argued for the action scenes then... but the problem is that DBZ isn't ALL nothing but nonstop action scenes strung together. There are character-based scenes CONSTANTLY throughout, which all diverge WILDLY in tone: some are more comedic, others more serious. Some are sad, some are upbeat, some are wistful and nostalgic, others are meant to be subtly unsettling.

For what's supposed to be just a straight martial arts/action series, DBZ contains a VERY broad array of emotional spectrums that it touches on; as such, you'd want a score that can hit all of those varied emotional notes. You'd want a score with tonal diversity and emotional nuance.

Even on THAT completely non-Wuxia based criteria, the Faulconer score is an abysmal failure OBJECTIVELY. Its just NOT an emotionally varied or nuanced score in ANY way on even the most generous criteria. Its only ever got two real main emotional notes that it EVER goes for: faux-hard edged action, and "mischievous" comedy. That's basically it. It is in no way equipped to handle any scene that calls for genuine emotional gravitas of any sort.

This idea that the Kikuchi score is too overly "silly" is COMPLETELY made up and based in NO way on the reality of the cues it actually contains. Sure, it has its fair share of silly, whimsical cues: because Dragon Ball Z, as with plain Dragon Ball before it, is chock full of its share of silly, whimsical moments. But Kikuchi's score ALSO contains cues that are tragic, hopeful, adventurous, introspective, even downright DISTURBING and unsettlingly full of dread. Simply put, it has emotional maturity, which is something that the Faulconer score is dearly, dearly lacking in.

And there's a very simple reason for this: Kikuchi scored Dragon Ball like he was scoring a film. A Wuxia film, sure: but a film nonetheless, regardless of its specific genre. Faulconer, by contrast, scored the series as if he were scoring a chintzy Saturday morning cartoon for children. Saturday morning cartoons, in the traditional American/Western sense of the concept, carries with it connotations of simplistic two-dimensionality. There's ZERO pretenses at "art" in the contextual framework of these types of works, particularly as it pertained to them in the 80s and 90s: you are creating a safe, sterile, artless "product" to market to kids without offending their hyper-paranoid and wildly overprotective soccer moms. You are in NO way making the same thing as "film".

This is the exact same framework in which everything from the 1980s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon to G.I. Joe to Thundercats to Masters of the Universe to Transformers to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers to Ben 10 (and all of their various imitators) were created: make something sanded down and inoffensive that will play to the dumbest, lowest common denominator imaginable while in no way pissing off extreme conservative media watchdog groups (who will oftentimes find a bullshit reason to get offended by something in the product anyway).

This difference in approach is literally EVERYTHING to the core of this entire eons-long debate between sub vs dub DBZ: what fundamentally separates the two versions is that one version, the original Japanese version, approached the series as if it were making something that, apart from being animated, would be stylistically indistinguishable from a certain genre of film (one that played as much to adults as it did to children). The other, the FUNimation dub, took the approach that it was making the next Mighty Morphin Power Rangers or Fred Wolf TMNT cartoon children's fad.

When people, namely dub fans, claim that Faulconer's score fits more with a "sch fi action" series, they aren't talking any typical, normal sci fi action series that would ostensibly be aimed at an older audience, and thus might contain a score with a modicum of emotional depth to it beyond "epic xtreme hardcore ACTION!!!". They're talking about "sci fi action" in the more Power Rangers/Transformers-ish sense of the term: a kids' Saturday morning breakfast cereal cartoon.

Don't just take my word for it though: here's a cringing excerpt from the back of the Rock the Dragon DVD set (which contained the older Saban/Ocean version of the dub, which was nonetheless in the exact same stylistic vein as the in-house FUNimation dub) that perfectly breaks down precisely where the entire mindset behind the whole original North American dubbing process for this series was coming from:

So when we get into these discussions about "which take on DBZ fans prefer", what we're ultimately REALLY talking about here isn't just simply "generic sci fi superhero action" versus "Wuxia martial arts fantasy": what we're ultimately talking about, when broken even further down to its utmost essence, is "Saturday morning kiddie action Pew! Pew! breakfast cereal schlock" versus "something that was created as if ANYONE, regardless of age, can enjoy it like an actual film experience".

Put it this way: lets take ANY "serious" general sci fi action film from the last 30+ years put the Faulconer score to test against them. Would anyone think the Faulconer score would work well or be more effective with say... Aliens? Robocop? The Matrix? Terminator? Star Wars? The Fifth Element? Starship Troopers? Snowpiercer? Predator? They Live? The Thing? Event Horizon? Minority Report? Anyone? Seriously? Seriously?

What if we instead put the Faulconer score with say... the 90s X-Men or Spider-Man cartoons? Or any given permutation of Power Rangers? Or any TMNT cartoon? Perhaps with a TMNT knockoff like Biker Mice From Mars or Street Sharks? Or a video game-based cartoon like the ones for Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter? Which of those given groups of material do people think that Faulconer's score would have a better chance of fitting in with more?

By that same token, what does it say that the Saban/Ocean score (Levy/Wasserman/whatever), the very same one that Faulconer's team had taken their overall basic tonal approach from, was done by people attributed to things like Power Rangers and the 90s X-Men cartoon? Or that the Ocean dub in overseas territories had at one point music lifted from the Ruby Spears Mega Man cartoon that was deemed an appropriate substitute for where English dubbed DBZ was creatively at that point?

Whereas meanwhile Kikuchi was a guy who scored not just children's anime like Doraemon, the original Casshan, and Dr. Slump, but also whole HOST of different and wildly varied film material for older audiences: from gritty and extreme exploitation material like Female Prisoner Scorpion 701, hardcore horror like Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell, Tokusatsu such as Gamera and the original Kamen Rider, martial arts like Sister Street Fighter and Sakigake!! Otokojuku, primetime adult dramas like Choshichiro Edo Nikki, etc.

I can guarantee you that you could drop almost ANY given cue from Kikuchi's DB/DBZ score into any given Shaw Bros. or Golden Harvest Wuxia film, (some aimed at kids but many aimed at older audiences, and most of them featuring all manner of martial artists in familiar looking dogi flying through the sky, firing exploding Chi blasts from their palms and mouths, and punching down mountaintops and buildings with their bare hands) and it would in many cases be almost indistinguishable from the original film's score.

And yes, I grant that there is now, in 2018, still a LARGE contingent of people (grown people) who genuinely, unironically enjoy and prefer Saturday morning kiddie Pew! Pew! schlock over something more... "emotionally nuanced" to put it mildly; people who can still go back, as grown adults, to MMPR and G1 Transformers and the Pokemon anime and Fred Wolf's TMNT and the like and legitimately say with a straight face "Yes, this shit is MY JAM!!!" If you're THAT person, then by ALL means, FUNimation's DBZ - Faulconer score and all - is unarguably the version of this series for you. You are in that market, the "never want to grow up/be a kid forever" nostalgia market that something like the Rock the Dragon Set was made for.

But that camp ain't ALL there is to either the North American Dragon Ball fanbase, and certain not to just the overall North American anime market. For anyone who is NOT in that mindset, the "80s and 90s-style American Saturday morning kids breakfast cereal action Pew! Pew! cartoons are awesome and I prefer it when things are done in that style" mindset... there just ISN'T any serous comparison between a score like Faulconer's and a score like Kikuchi's just in raw terms of which one has more emotional variance and is better equipped to handle a broader and more diverse array of tonality. Certainly not on a "critically objective" merit.

Both scores are VERY steeped in their respective genres (Saturday morning kiddie breakfast cereal cartoon for Faulconer versus Shaw Bros.-style old school Wuxia film for Kikuchi): but even the stark genre differences aside, there isn't any question AT ALL as to which is the more emotionally nuanced and tonally varied of the two, and that has EVERYTHING to do with the intrinsic and inescapable differences in their core fundamental approaches to the material in question: a difference that people on BOTH sides of this debate need to start getting WAY more specific and honest about if we're ever going to get to something that even passingly resembles "the heart" of this decades-long matter now.

And personal preferences aside, only ONE of those approaches is in ANY WAY in line with Toriyama's original conception of Dragon Ball, and furthermore with the presentation of it throughout the ENTIRE world EXCEPT FOR North America and other English language territories.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:23 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Even on THAT completely non-Wuxia based criteria, the Faulconer score is an abysmal failure OBJECTIVELY. Its just NOT an emotionally varied or nuanced score in ANY way on even the most generous criteria. Its only ever got two real main emotional notes that it EVER goes for: faux-hard edged action, and "mischievous" comedy. That's basically it. It is in no way equipped to handle any scene that calls for genuine emotional gravitas of any sort.
I would argue that it actually has its fair share of varying emotional tracks that go beyond just action and goofy comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tjqToS3ZgQ
The track that plays in this video at 0:49 where Goku appears is very emotional and fits the tone of the scene perfectly by sounding both happy and sad at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-e2rydt9kE
The track that plays in this scene at 0:22 seconds in where Gohan observes his brother's innocence and has fond memories of his father is also emotional in a way that transcends the over the top hardcore action typical of Faulconer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYLJpeuy75Y
This scene where Gohan and Goku say what they believe to be their final goodbye is also given a highly emotional sounding piece that tugs at the heart strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INMKFPp8YR8
Then there's this track from 0:04 that's often used during the more peaceful scenes on Namek and right after Namek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjaAzqapXX4
And the hopeful sounding track that plays here at 3:26:06 when Goku reappears after being believed dead.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:42 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: My issue with statements like this is that it is demonstrably untrue that the Faulconer score has very many (if any) cues that work for more emotionally driven scenes, whereas Kikuchi's score is RIFE with cues that are tailored to work in sad/melancholy, or wistful, or hopeful scenes etc. As far as I'm concerned this isn't even a matter of subjective opinion or taste: the Kikuchi score unarguably, matter of factly contains a flat out more emotionally diverse range of cues. Faulconer by contrast, is almost always in "hard-ass action" mode with VERY little variation in any other direction. There's WAY more room for fluidity in emotional range in Kikuchi than there is in Faulconer, and that's just demonstrably ironclad in what kinds of music is actually present in each of their scores.
You know, I hear this said quite a lot. But it's actually not true. "Hard-ass action" is only a part of the score. There's quite a lot of cues that can be sad, happy, optimistic, contemplative, unsettling, melancholic, relaxing, etc. This diversity is actually one of my favorite things about the Faulconer score. I love that it has something that can fit almost any kind of tone. And the diversity in tone is just the beginning. There is also diversity in musical style. For example, some cues can be kind of jazzy, others can be more "hard core", while others can be more orchestral (synth-orchestral, mind you).
This idea that the Kikuchi score is too overly "silly" is COMPLETELY made up and based in NO way on the reality of the cues it actually contains. Sure, it has its fair share of silly, whimsical cues: because Dragon Ball Z, as with plain Dragon Ball before it, is chock full of its share of silly, whimsical moments. But Kikuchi's score ALSO contains cues that are tragic, hopeful, adventurous, introspective, even downright DISTURBING and unsettlingly full of dread. Simply put, it has emotional maturity, which is something that the Faulconer score is dearly, dearly lacking in.
Just to clarify, my "goofy" comment wasn't a generalized assertion about the overall score. It was more of a hypothetical on a scene-to-scene basis. Off the top of my head though, there is one scene that comes to mind, which is the death of Gohan's dinosaur friend, where the Kikuchi score doesn't seem to quite hit the correct tone. There is no Faulconer equivalent for that scene (since that score didn't start until episode 68), but my gut reaction to that scene was that there was a tonal mismatch between what I was seeing and what the music was trying to convey. I don't remember how the Ocean dub handled it or how Nathan Johnson's music handled it, but this is one of those examples of "fitting the scene" that I'm talking about. The Kikuchi score might have all that diversity, but whether or it was utilized as effectively as it could have by the editors is another story.
And there's a very simple reason for this: Kikuchi scored Dragon Ball like he was scoring a film. A Wuxia film, sure: but a film nonetheless, regardless of its specific genre. Faulconer, by contrast, scored the series as if he were scoring a chintzy Saturday morning cartoon for children. Saturday morning cartoons, in the traditional American/Western sense of the concept, carries with it connotations of simplistic two-dimensionality. There's ZERO pretenses at "art" in the contextual framework of these types of works, particularly as it pertained to them in the 80s and 90s: you are creating a safe, sterile, artless "product" to market to kids without offending their hyper-paranoid and wildly overprotective soccer moms. You are in NO way making the same thing as "film".
The feeling I got from watching the Faulconer crew interview was that the guy who composed most of the cues, Mike Smith, scored the show "from the gut", as he describes. While some of the others may have been preoccupied with Funimation's scene-to-scene notes, I got the feeling that Mike Smith just did what he felt was right. So the "Saturday Morning cartoon" thing was his actual artistic gut feeling for how to approach things. Especially at the beginning, there wasn't much direction at all. So I realize that while you may not consider it to be art at all, the people involved were definitely putting their all into the score. How much it worked is of course the point of contention. But the composers' intention to make it work was very much there. They are proud of their work. Not all of it, mind you (but what artist isn't self-critical at times?).
Put it this way: lets take ANY "serious" general sci fi action film from the last 30+ years put the Faulconer score to test against them. Would anyone think the Faulconer score would work well or be more effective with say... Aliens? Robocop? The Matrix? Terminator? Star Wars? The Fifth Element? Starship Troopers? Snowpiercer? Predator? They Live? The Thing? Event Horizon? Minority Report? Anyone? Seriously? Seriously?

What if we instead put the Faulconer score with say... the 90s X-Men or Spider-Man cartoons? Or any given permutation of Power Rangers? Or any TMNT cartoon? Perhaps with a TMNT knockoff like Biker Mice From Mars or Street Sharks? Or a video game-based cartoon like the ones for Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter? Which of those given groups of material do people think that Faulconer's score would have a better chance of fitting in with more?

By that same token, what does it say that the Saban/Ocean score (Levy/Wasserman/whatever), the very same one that Faulconer's team had taken their overall basic tonal approach from, was done by people attributed to things like Power Rangers and the 90s X-Men cartoon? Or that the Ocean dub in overseas territories had at one point music lifted from the Ruby Spears Mega Man cartoon that was deemed an appropriate substitute for where English dubbed DBZ was creatively at that point?

Whereas meanwhile Kikuchi was a guy who scored not just children's anime like Doraemon, the original Casshan, and Dr. Slump, but also whole HOST of different and wildly varied film material for older audiences: from gritty and extreme exploitation material like Female Prisoner Scorpion 701, hardcore horror like Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell, Tokusatsu such as Gamera and the original Kamen Rider, martial arts like Sister Street Fighter and Sakigake!! Otokojuku, primetime adult dramas like Choshichiro Edo Nikki, etc.

I can guarantee you that you could drop almost ANY given cue from Kikuchi's DB/DBZ score into any given Shaw Bros. or Golden Harvest Wuxia film, (some aimed at kids but many aimed at older audiences, and most of them featuring all manner of martial artists in familiar looking dogi flying through the sky, firing exploding Chi blasts from their palms and mouths, and punching down mountaintops and buildings with their bare hands) and it would in many cases be almost indistinguishable from the original film's score.

And yes, I grant that there is now, in 2018, still a LARGE contingent of people (grown people) who genuinely, unironically enjoy and prefer Saturday morning kiddie Pew! Pew! schlock over something more... "emotionally nuanced" to put it mildly; people who can still go back, as grown adults, to MMPR and G1 Transformers and the Pokemon anime and Fred Wolf's TMNT and the like and legitimately say with a straight face "Yes, this shit is MY JAM!!!" If you're THAT person, then by ALL means, FUNimation's DBZ - Faulconer score and all - is unarguably the version of this series for you. You are in that market, the "never want to grow up/be a kid forever" nostalgia market that something like the Rock the Dragon Set was made for.
I see what you're saying about the differences between what each score is trying to be, and I mostly agree with this point. Although, I don't agree that it's mindless "schlock" (again, I do think there's lots of emotional variance).
And personal preferences aside, only ONE of those approaches is in ANY WAY in line with Toriyama's original conception of Dragon Ball, and furthermore with the presentation of it throughout the ENTIRE world EXCEPT FOR North America and other English language territories.
Yup, and I've always maintained that this is a valid point. The score as a whole that captures Toriyama's intention and that represents Dragon Ball's wuxia-inspired nature is the Kikuchi score.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:48 am

Regardless it all boils down to personal preference. Some people obviously prefer that Cinematic wuxia sound some people are partial to the technorock nu metal Faulconer sound.

I just feel like the Faulconer score isn’t even good in its own genre. It’s better than the Menza stuff but that’s faint praise. The Nathan Johnson score is easily the best of that lot (Wasserman, Faulconer, Menza)

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:52 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Faulconer, by contrast, scored the series as if he were scoring a chintzy Saturday morning cartoon for children. Saturday morning cartoons, in the traditional American/Western sense of the concept, carries with it connotations of simplistic two-dimensionality. There's ZERO pretenses at "art" in the contextual framework of these types of works, particularly as it pertained to them in the 80s and 90s: you are creating a safe, sterile, artless "product" to market to kids without offending their hyper-paranoid and wildly overprotective soccer moms. You are in NO way making the same thing as "film".

This is the exact same framework in which everything from the 1980s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon to G.I. Joe to Thundercats to Masters of the Universe to Transformers to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers to Ben 10 (and all of their various imitators) were created: make something sanded down and inoffensive that will play to the dumbest, lowest common denominator imaginable while in no way pissing off extreme conservative media watchdog groups (who will oftentimes find a bullshit reason to get offended by something in the product anyway).

This difference in approach is literally EVERYTHING to the core of this entire eons-long debate between sub vs dub DBZ: what fundamentally separates the two versions is that one version, the original Japanese version, approached the series as if it were making something that, apart from being animated, would be stylistically indistinguishable from a certain genre of film (one that played as much to adults as it did to children). The other, the FUNimation dub, took the approach that it was making the next Mighty Morphin Power Rangers or Fred Wolf TMNT cartoon children's fad.
Hell, look at how Batman the Animated Series, an American action cartoon from the 90s, is received today vs. any of those typical American Saturday morning action cartoons from the same era. Batman the Animated Series was not written, cast, or scored like a typical American Saturday morning action cartoon, but more like a film. Bruce Timm and co. wanted to make a show that actually had some artistic merit to it. It was an anomaly for that era (and there hasn't really been an American action cartoon like it ever since). And what happened? It was a huge success and continues to be critically lauded to this very day. Conversely, most of those typical Saturday morning action cartoons are fondly remembered primarily out of nostalgia rather than artistic merit.

That typical American Saturday morning action cartoon style is inherently lacking in artistic merit, and that's the type of show the Z dub was based on. So when you compare the Z dub to anything, not just Japanese DBZ, that does have genuine artistic merit, it's going to come up lacking.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:07 am

Majin Buu wrote:Hell, look at how Batman the Animated Series, an American action cartoon from the 90s, is received today vs. any of those typical American Saturday morning action cartoons from the same era. Batman the Animated Series was not written, cast, or scored like a typical American Saturday morning action cartoon, but more like a film. Bruce Timm and co. wanted to make a show that actually had some artistic merit to it. It was an anomaly for that era (and there hasn't really been an American action cartoon like it ever since). And what happened? It was a huge success and continues to be critically lauded to this very day. Conversely, most of those typical Saturday morning action cartoons are fondly remembered primarily out of nostalgia rather than artistic merit.

That typical American Saturday morning action cartoon style is inherently lacking in artistic merit, and that's the type of show the Z dub was based on. So when you compare the Z dub to anything, not just Japanese DBZ, that does have genuine artistic merit, it's going to come up lacking.
The Batman TAS score is great and is rightfully remembered fondly. I particularly love it in Mask of The Phantasm at the very start of the movie where the main theme is given actual lyrics to make it even more dramatic.

Having said that Batman Beyond went on to have a radically different score much more typical of American action cartoons, and yet that show and its score gets tons of praise too. So both approaches are definitely valid and can work really well, which I would say the Faulconer Productions score managed to pull off despite what others might think.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:18 am

Beyond's score fit the aesthetic. It was a futuristic show about a teenage superhero. That's the relevant context.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:16 pm

I think it's worth noting there are other series based in the fantasy genre that have futuristic aspects, and much like DBZ the use of an orchestral score fits perfectly. Suicidal Productions actually created a video picturing what Star Wars would look like with Faulconer's score. This is how it feels when I see the Faulconer score in DBZ, it feels out of place and lacks the mysticism (which is essential for this type of show) of the original score.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:26 pm

ABED wrote:Beyond's score fit the aesthetic. It was a futuristic show about a teenage superhero. That's the relevant context.
It was still the same lore/world/story though. Bruce was still a major presence in each episode and Terry's career as Batman was a continuation of his legacy. It was definitely the same show. Return of the Joker revolved almost entirely around stuff that happened in Bruce's day and even expanded on his days as Batman by showing his final showdown with the Joker.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:14 pm

^ Batman TAS was doing film noir. Batman Beyond was doing urban neonoir. Pretty sure the influence was Blade Runner meets Akira.

They exist in the same world but the style and tone is totally different

90sDBZ wrote:. I particularly love it in Mask of The Phantasm at the very start of the movie where the main theme is given actual lyrics to make it even more .
Actual lyrics being the productions staff’s names being said backwards?

Having said that Batman Beyond went on to have a radically different score much more typical of American action cartoons, and yet that show and its score gets tons of praise too. So both approaches are definitely valid and can work really well,.

Batman Beyond was good (I’d argue the weakest DCAU cartoon unless we’re counting Zeta Project for some reason) and the score fit its tone and style really well but I honestly dont recall it getting that much praise

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:35 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
ABED wrote:Beyond's score fit the aesthetic. It was a futuristic show about a teenage superhero. That's the relevant context.
It was still the same lore/world/story though. Bruce was still a major presence in each episode and Terry's career as Batman was a continuation of his legacy. It was definitely the same show. Return of the Joker revolved almost entirely around stuff that happened in Bruce's day and even expanded on his days as Batman by showing his final showdown with the Joker.
It's not the same show, as MasenkoHa pointed out, they were slightly different genres. Bruce was a major presence, but he wasn't the main character. Gotham is very different between the two eras. And in Return of the Joker, if I recall, the score during the flashbacks is different than the present day.

To keep this about DB, the difference is Batman Beyond and BTAS were two different shows set in the same universe. DBZ and the DBZ dub are the same show, but with vastly different scores. DB and DBZ don't have radically different feels and for some reason the dub gave them two different scores.

All the different scores makes the dub of every DB series feel disjointed, for lack of a better word.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:^ Batman TAS was doing film noir. Batman Beyond was doing urban neonoir. Pretty sure the influence was Blade Runner meets Akira.

They exist in the same world but the style and tone is totally different

90sDBZ wrote:. I particularly love it in Mask of The Phantasm at the very start of the movie where the main theme is given actual lyrics to make it even more .
Actual lyrics being the productions staff’s names being said backwards?

Having said that Batman Beyond went on to have a radically different score much more typical of American action cartoons, and yet that show and its score gets tons of praise too. So both approaches are definitely valid and can work really well,.

Batman Beyond was good (I’d argue the weakest DCAU cartoon unless we’re counting Zeta Project for some reason) and the score fit its tone and style really well but I honestly dont recall it getting that much praise
The style and tone aren't that different. They both revolve around the same themes of crime, corruption, heroism, fate, and redemption.

About those lyrics, yes that's what I meant. I actually only found that out a few months back and had never put too much thought into what the words meant. Anyway it's an awesome opening.

I should mention that Beyond was nominated for 9 awards, winning 4 of them.
ABED wrote: It's not the same show, as MasenkoHa pointed out, they were slightly different genres. Bruce was a major presence, but he wasn't the main character. Gotham is very different between the two eras. And in Return of the Joker, if I recall, the score during the flashbacks is different than the present day.

To keep this about DB, the difference is Batman Beyond and BTAS were two different shows set in the same universe. DBZ and the DBZ dub are the same show, but with vastly different scores. DB and DBZ don't have radically different feels and for some reason the dub gave them two different scores.

All the different scores makes the dub of every DB series feel disjointed, for lack of a better word.
TAS and Beyond are just as closely connected as DB and Z in that you need to have watched TAS to fully understand stuff like where Bruce is coming from, the full backstory of Mr Freeze, Bane, and Joker who inpired the gangs we see in Beyond. And there's Commissioner Barbara Gordon who had a long past as Batgirl which shapes her encounters with Bruce in Beyond greatly.

Those series prove you can make 2 drastically different scores work in the same world with the same themes, characters, and setting.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:07 pm

But they aren't. Goku is the main character in both DB and DBZ. The distinction between the two series is artificial as it is all just DB. Whereas Beyond honestly doesn't require the audience to know that much about Bruce Wayne before seeing Beyond. You're given all the relevant context and exposition in the series for it to land emotionally and make sense. Setting that aside, Beyond has a different main character and setting. It's the city but far into the future, and a lot of it takes place in high school which is a huge difference. That's the context you are missing. The DCAU is connected, but it's still very episodic, whereas DB is hyper serialized. While Beyond is a sequel series, it can stand on its own as well. DBZ episode 1 might as well be DB episode 154.

All I should have to say is Terry is the main character of Beyond, not Bruce. The difference in setting and main character is enough to prove the difference in score is appropriate.