Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm
Location: VA

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:27 pm

Can anyone tell me how to order off amazon, I can't understand anything :crazy:

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:58 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:Can anyone tell me how to order off amazon, I can't understand anything :crazy:
Set the interface to english: https://www.amazon.co.jp/?language=en_US

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6370
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Watching movie 7 and yeah...it was pushed wayyyyy too far towards yellow and blue, and it creates more problems in itself. Movies 1-3, 5, 8, and 12 got the best balance down, and there's a consistency between all of them too. I haven't checked Movies 10 and 11 because fuck those movies.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by DHM211 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:35 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Watching movie 7 and yeah...it was pushed wayyyyy too far towards yellow and blue, and it creates more problems in itself. Movies 1-3, 5, 8, and 12 got the best balance down, and there's a consistency between all of them too. I haven't checked Movies 10 and 11 because fuck those movies.
Honestly, Movie 5 is a little off balance as well. It's too Yellow(not to the extent of movies 7 & 9), and a little too dark.
Original:
Image
Color Corrected:
Image

User avatar
MadSpecialist
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by MadSpecialist » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:01 pm

What could these remasters mean for Dragon Box - The Movies?

Since they're evidently no longer the most superior transfers available in Japan, perhaps now they'll be given an international English-subtitled release? Especially if the lack of Japanese video angles in Funimation/Madman/MangaUK's last DVD releases of the movies were possibly due to reduce reverse importing?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1890
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:24 pm

I definitely think the ship has sailed on a western release of Dragon Box - The Movies. Sure they would be nice to display on a shelf beside the US Dragon Boxes, but its an SD remaster, if Funimation licences these masters for a new release (which is highly likely) there's no question it would be much better value for money than a new DVD set.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6614
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:59 pm

MadSpecialist wrote:What could these remasters mean for Dragon Box - The Movies?

Since they're evidently no longer the most superior transfers available in Japan, perhaps now they'll be given an international English-subtitled release? Especially if the lack of Japanese video angles in Funimation/Madman/MangaUK's last DVD releases of the movies were possibly due to reduce reverse importing?
What's even the use of that anymore?

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Quite the surprise TOEI subtlety got out, not even a trailer, celebration, anniversary or anything.. just straight to Amazon Prime Video / Netflix and later it'll be on Blu-ray. A bit of a shame, really. This is something that they could have gotten people really hyped about since these are way better than the garbage 'HD' movies FUNimation put on Blu-ray of Dragon Ball Z.

FUNimation never bothered to publish Dragon Ball movies 1-4 on Blu-ray themselves though at the very least, they gave the footage to a Mexican company whom have put it on retail. Never mind now either, if they release the DB movies 1-4 it'll be using TOEI's footage and some FUNimation "magic" like they did with Kai (talking about "improving" the picture quality than English title cards).
MadSpecialist wrote:What could these remasters mean for Dragon Box - The Movies?

Since they're evidently no longer the most superior transfers available in Japan, perhaps now they'll be given an international English-subtitled release? Especially if the lack of Japanese video angles in Funimation/Madman/MangaUK's last DVD releases of the movies were possibly due to reduce reverse importing?
No company really uses dual video angles anymore, these days, that's a thing of the past and it's kind of irrelevant to even bring up Manga UK. Manga UK simply takes what Madman has already authored the DVD and Blu-ray counterparts for PAL use (R2-R4/B). If it wasn't for the fact that Madman went through the trouble of making a Region B release of Dragon Ball Z: The Final Chapters then you think Manga UK would have bothered? Nope, they take what's done and use a slightly MangaUK-fied cover.

Manga UK is like the bottom of the barrel.

User avatar
MadSpecialist
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by MadSpecialist » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:35 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I definitely think the ship has sailed on a western release of Dragon Box - The Movies. Sure they would be nice to display on a shelf beside the US Dragon Boxes, but its an SD remaster, if Funimation licences these masters for a new release (which is highly likely) there's no question it would be much better value for money than a new DVD set.
That's valid and I suppose it's just wishful thinking on my part. You could even argue that these new remasters could end up like Dragon Box - The Movies and be exclusive to Japan. Funimation/Madman/Manga already have Blu-ray releases of the movies, but Japan hasn't up until now.

In the event that we do get new Blu-rays, if the original Japanese titles and credits aren't included, I wouldn't even consider picking them up.
sangofe wrote:What's even the use of that anymore?
Even a limited release would be appreciated at this point. Although we don't have to worry about anything going untranslated thanks to Kanzenshuu, it would (still) be momentous to have a chance at owning the teasers, trailers, digests, movies and books themselves translated. On the other hand, as it's been over 10 years since its release, anybody outside of Japan who really wanted them would've imported or pirated the box by now.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:No company really uses dual video angles anymore, these days, that's a thing of the past and it's kind of irrelevant to even bring up Manga UK. Manga UK simply takes what Madman has already authored the DVD and Blu-ray counterparts for PAL use (R2-R4/B). If it wasn't for the fact that Madman went through the trouble of making a Region B release of Dragon Ball Z: The Final Chapters then you think Manga UK would have bothered? Nope, they take what's done and use a slightly MangaUK-fied cover.

Manga UK is like the bottom of the barrel.
It's a shame video angles aren't really used anymore, it's what made those initial Funimation single releases of the series and movies accessible to fans of both the English and Japanese versions. Even if they're mostly just repackaging what's already out there, Manga are still worth mentioning as they're solely responsible for making Dragon Ball releases available in the UK.

GoldenThunder
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:30 am
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by GoldenThunder » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 am

MadSpecialist wrote:it would (still) be momentous to have a chance at owning the teasers, trailers, digests, movies
I think the Blu-rays will have these. Better yet, they'll probably be in HD this time, since we've seen Toei have already done HD remasters of the original trailers.

I'm just kind of diappointed that these movies are coming out in pairs on a single disc. It means we won't be seeing both a 4:3 version and 16:9 version of each movie. But 17 discs for just the movies is too much of an ask, I guess.

HakkaiBills93
Regular
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:26 pm

GoldenThunder wrote:
MadSpecialist wrote:it would (still) be momentous to have a chance at owning the teasers, trailers, digests, movies
I think the Blu-rays will have these. Better yet, they'll probably be in HD this time, since we've seen Toei have already done HD remasters of the original trailers.

I'm just kind of diappointed that these movies are coming out in pairs on a single disc. It means we won't be seeing both a 4:3 version and 16:9 version of each movie. But 17 discs for just the movies is too much of an ask, I guess.
they are listed on amazon.co.jp
it said trailer, digest and creditless but for what i checked it's 100% the same extra as the dragon movie box, no more no less
i think that only some digest will be, some like those who looked like movies 9 13 10 11 won't be remastered like it wasn't in dragon movie box

GoldenThunder
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:30 am
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by GoldenThunder » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:13 pm

DHM211 wrote:Image
(The greens are a little different but its pretty accurate).
Doesn't really look like you matched Kai. The Kai look is all about maximizing the dynamic range while mostly keeping it bright.

Here's my attempt to make it look like Kai:
Image
It's very hard to do what Q-Tec did with the film reels at hand. e.g. my lines end up getting kind of washed up because of the brightening but theirs doesn't.

And for that authentic Kai look, sum degrainin'
Image

I didn't try to match the actual Kai shot, though. For some reason on my monitor the skin looks a little too green, so I'm guessing for some my one's skin will look a little too red.

User avatar
LordCrumb
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 am

Nooooo!!! don't ever DNR a Dragon Ball image. It makes my head hurt! No one should ever encourage DNRing :wink:

GoldenThunder
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:30 am
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by GoldenThunder » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:29 am

LordCrumb wrote:Nooooo!!! don't ever DNR a Dragon Ball image. It makes my head hurt! No one should ever encourage DNRing :wink:
Yep, no encouragement to DNR the movies. Just showing how, with this coloring, it could look like genuine Kai with that bit of degraining.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3915
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:28 am

I don't see the appeal in making it look like Kai. For one, I don't think the colours were any better in Kai compared to this movie master, and for two, the DNR pretty much ruined all semblance of actual high-def detail in the picture, and was part of the effort in Kai to modernise it which often ended up trying to scrub away the texture of the cel drawings and the film, just to a lesser extent than Funi's attempts at this, so I'll be happy to put that behind us, and enjoy a Dragon Ball release with actually nice colours for once, and with proper respect paid to the original production of the show for the first time since the DBox movies back in 2006, and I really hope Toei extends this brilliance to the series soon.
Dragon Ball is a goofy kids cartoon from a long time ago. You take it too seriously at your own peril.
Debate the plot, characters, adaptations, dubs, etc., criticise the home video, but never lose sight of the fact that it's all just entertainment. You're supposed to enjoy it. If you're not enjoying it, just walk away.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Don't the TOEI HD DB-Z movies remastered look a bit too zoomed in for anyone else? At least they look gorgeous in high definition and the cropping's done right unlike Funimation's endless attempts.

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by DHM211 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:29 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Don't the TOEI HD DB-Z movies remastered look a bit too zoomed in for anyone else? At least they look gorgeous in high definition and the cropping's done right unlike Funimation's endless attempts.
It’s not really that Toei zoomed in more, it’s that Funi zoomed out as much as they could.

nosferatu
Banned
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:17 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by nosferatu » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:01 pm

hope they remaster db and z properly would pay anything.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:09 am

nosferatu wrote:hope they remaster db and z properly would pay anything.
Seems unlikely. One thing's to remaster 17 movies and another is to remaster 511 episodes (DB, DBZ, DBGT, + DBZ 2 TV-Specials & DBGT TV-Special) unless you then also throw in the Dragon Ball health and safety specials and all that. Even if they were just to remaster DB and DBZ, that'd still be 444 episodes, overall.

nosferatu
Banned
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:17 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by nosferatu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:11 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
nosferatu wrote:hope they remaster db and z properly would pay anything.
Seems unlikely. One thing's to remaster 17 movies and another is to remaster 511 episodes (DB, DBZ, DBGT, + DBZ 2 TV-Specials & DBGT TV-Special) unless you then also throw in the Dragon Ball health and safety specials and all that. Even if they were just to remaster DB and DBZ, that'd still be 444 episodes, overall.
then at least dragon box for db and movies and well reprint for z. since i cant buy in europe even offered 1300 euro nothing.

Post Reply